Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn?

AURex

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "quality " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion.

That's funny. Deluded, but funny.

How is that "deluded"? Gus is an up and rising star in college football, but the Pro's are big business. I bet the above would more or less reflect the thinking of every team owner.

(It's wan't "funny" either.) Got your homer glasses on.

I think the part of him not being an attractive college option was the funny part. Malzahn has more than proven his worth as the #1 Offensive attraction when it comes to coaching, I'm sure "quality" colleges would love to have him if quality colleges didn't already usually have a coach

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no reason for Gus to leave Auburn. He has no experience to speak of to warrant any NFL team taking a chance on him yet. He has not proved enough on the college level for any "quality " college to offer him more. Sorry, but that is my down to earth opinion.

How is that "deluded"? Gus is an up and rising star in college football, but the Pro's are big business. I bet the above would more or less reflect the thinking of every team owner.

I think the part of him not being an attractive college option was the funny part. Malzahn has more than proven his worth as the #1 Offensive attraction when it comes to coaching, I'm sure "quality" colleges would love to have him if quality colleges didn't already usually have a coach

He is as fine an offensive coach as there is. He still hasn't proven he can be a great head coach. There is a difference between the two.

He is as fine an offensive coach as there is. He still hasn't proven he can be a great head coach. There is a difference between the two.

I agree with CT here. Can he field a team with a good defense? His offensive numbers will most likely always be better than most of the country, but having that only gives you 8, 9 wins in normal years. Can Gus coach a team to be disciplined? We haven't seen that either, yet. That also is tantamount to being a great coach.

I agree with CT here. Can he field a team with a good defense? His offensive numbers will most likely always be better than most of the country, but having that only gives you 8, 9 wins in normal years. Can Gus coach a team to be disciplined? We haven't seen that either, yet. That also is tantamount to being a great coach.

Yep. We all have on blue and orange glasses when looking at Gus. We see what he's done so far and the obvious potential but until he's actually done it, he hasn't.

And don't construe this as doubting him. It's just fact.

At Arkansas State and 2013 Auburn, his teams were very disciplined (aside from Greg Robinson's occasional holding charges), I'd look at 2014 as an anomaly. He hasn't yet had a defensive coordinator who works yet, but he's proven he can win, and win conference championships. His one down year so far the offense got 5000 yards, and Malzahn proved he can adjust the weak link on his team by hiring the best coordinator available. I don't know much else he can prove

At Arkansas State and 2013 Auburn, his teams were very disciplined (aside from Greg Robinson's occasional holding charges), I'd look at 2014 as an anomaly. He hasn't yet had a defensive coordinator who works yet, but he's proven he can win, and win conference championships. His one down year so far the offense got 5000 yards, and Malzahn proved he can adjust the weak link on his team by hiring the best coordinator available. I don't know much else he can prove

Longevity.

Can't really define consistency without a certain amount of it. Two years won't cut it. IMO, I'd say 5 would do nicely. If there's a time to really start worrying, it's around 2018.

Longevity. Can't really define consistency without a certain amount of it.

So when he continues to win as a HC, you'd then consider him a top college coach? This is just odd to me, because there isn't many quality head coaches that have such a quality track record as a coordinator, yet they got chances themselves.

So when he continues to win as a HC, you'd then consider him a top college coach? This is just odd to me, because there isn't many quality head coaches that have such a quality track record as a coordinator, yet they got chances themselves.

Yes, assuming he is still doing all the other things well.

And Gus is one of those people who got that chance. He's the head coach at Auburn is he not? :dunno:

We are talking about being a strong candidate on everyone's list, including pro teams.

And Gus is one of those people who got that chance. He's the head coach at Auburn is he not? :dunno:/>

We are talking about being a strong candidate on everyone's list, including pro teams.

I was discussing the latter part of that guy's post stating that Gus wouldn't be a top college choice as HC. I think once you look at the offenses of today, Gus would definitely be a top 10 pick.

Not to be too picky but keep in mind that of the schools in the AP top 25 perhaps one coach among those 25 has fewer wins than Gus and less time as a Head Coach at a FCS or FBS school.

As much as we all like Gus, his track record is so limited that it is hard to judge...remember that Terry Bowden started with 20 consecutive wins at AU and Gus has fewer wins as a Head Coach at AU than about anyone that has coached here in the past 75 years.

And Gus is one of those people who got that chance. He's the head coach at Auburn is he not? :dunno:/>

I was discussing the latter part of that guy's post stating that Gus wouldn't be a top college choice as HC. I think once you look at the offenses of today, Gus would definitely be a top 10 pick.

Well, 10 is a pretty long list, and he might appear on the lists of some top college (not pro) programs at 7 to 10. Really high profile programs are typically very conservative in those decisions. But I am talking about being in the top 5 of most - if not all - top college programs, and maybe a pro team.

It takes time to reach that status. In fact, 5 years would be quick. IMO, you'd need a Bama-like record to reach that status in 5 years.

I'll start really worrying about losing Gus around 2018. But I don't take him for granted either. We are lucky to have him and I hope he lasts at least that long.

Well, 10 is a pretty long list, and he might appear a some top college (not pro) programs at #7 or higher. Really high profile programs are typically very conservative in those decisions. But I am talking about being in the top 5 of most - if not all top college programs - and maybe a pro team.

It takes time to reach that status. In fact, 5 years would be quick. IMO You'd need a Bama-like record to reach that status in 5 years.

I'll won't start really worrying about losing Gus until 2018. But I don't take him for granted either. We are lucky to have him.

Absolutely. The timing of everything that brought him to us could not have been better. I honestly believe he wants to be at Auburn for many years. I don't think he would willingly leave for any college job? I really don't think he has the ambition for the NFL but you can't rule it out completely. He made a heck of a move to bring in boom so it's certainly looking good. Now all we can do is just wait and see how it all pans out.

Thanks for most understanding the gist of my post...... He has YET (not had time) to prove he is an over all capabale coach to remove all doubts and have all the BIG BOYS come running after him such as they would a Saban or a Spurrier(especially during his prime).. Gus i believe WILL BE that coach, and maybe WILL Muschamp will help him reach the Top, but i am worried about the disclipine part since i have seen it crop up twice while he was offensive coordinator or head coach. This year's problems all fall on him. Dyer and such..??? who knows....

Well, 10 is a pretty long list, and he might appear a some top college (not pro) programs at #7 or higher. Really high profile programs are typically very conservative in those decisions. But I am talking about being in the top 5 of most - if not all top college programs - and maybe a pro team.

It takes time to reach that status. In fact, 5 years would be quick. IMO You'd need a Bama-like record to reach that status in 5 years.

I'll won't start really worrying about losing Gus until 2018. But I don't take him for granted either. We are lucky to have him.

Absolutely. The timing of everything that brought him to us could not have been better. I honestly believe he wants to be at Auburn for many years. I don't think he would willingly leave for any college job? I really don't think he has the ambition for the NFL but you can't rule it out completely. He made a heck of a move to bring in boom so it's certainly looking good. Now all we can do is just wait and see how it all pans out.

:hellyeah::bow:

I agree completely with everything you said in blue. And I really, really, really hope that everything in orange turns out to be true.

Hey, it's Christmas eve! ;D;)

I saw that Forbes Magazine wrote an article about College Football programs worth. Auburn came in at #6. I was actually pleasantly surprised about this. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, (and I think it was Texas, if I remember right), then Auburn, in that order. Auburn came in as a net worth of $97 million for their football program. He definitely wouldn't leave to go to another college program that's for sure. He knows he is safe for life as the HC of Auburn if he continues to recruit well, and compete in the SEC. This wasn't the best year as an Auburn Tiger. But considering what guys we lost, and the schedule we had, it's not that bad of a season. He fixed these problems by hiring Muschamp. It doesn't get much better than that. Gus is in it for the long haul, whether the NFL comes calling or not. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, it's not about money with Gus.

I saw that Forbes Magazine wrote an article about College Football programs worth. Auburn came in at #6. I was actually pleasantly surprised about this. Notre Dame, Michigan, Alabama, LSU, (and I think it was Texas, if I remember right), then Auburn, in that order. Auburn came in as a net worth of $97 million for their football program. He definitely wouldn't leave to go to another college program that's for sure. He knows he is safe for life as the HC of Auburn if he continues to recruit well, and compete in the SEC. This wasn't the best year as an Auburn Tiger. But considering what guys we lost, and the schedule we had, it's not that bad of a season. He fixed these problems by hiring Muschamp. It doesn't get much better than that. Gus is in it for the long haul, whether the NFL comes calling or not. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, it's not about money with Gus.

I don't think this would happen but ND and LSU likely won't have head coaches in a few seasons.

Let me pose this question. Take off your OnB glasses. Be honest. Hypothesize. If you are a college AD, any college, you need a coach and $ is not an issue: who do you want? To me saban is in a league by himself. He does it every year no matter his staff. he is 62 or 63 but is the most proven. After him I put no one ahead of Gus. Not one person. I would have put chris peterson there but he didnt really set the woods of fire at U of dub. I like what we have. I would not trade for anyone else at all. He made a bad choice on ellis johnson and maybe some of the D position coaches but he is very new to college football. This offense is real.

I don't think this would happen but ND and LSU likely won't have head coaches in a few seasons.

LSU and ND would be a lateral move at best and probably a step down. This thread needs to die a violent death ASAP!

Should Gus establish himself as a consistent top tier head coach before we fret too much???

Gus is a top tier coach and will be at Auburn for a long, long, time. Quit all of this silly cry-baby mindset and smell the orange and blue roses. Long Live Gus at Auburn. God save the Gus, God save the Gus! Stop fretting and get on the bus...The Gus Bus!!

LSU and ND would be a lateral move at best and probably a step down. This thread needs to die a violent death ASAP!

LSU is in a PRIME location, do you know how many stars they've wasted their full potential that went on to cook it in the NFL? If Malzahn had that talent to work with, he'd be Saban-like (LSU HCs also don't have to get compared to Saban every year). It's not a far better job, but I'd take it over Auburn as long as Saban is there.

LSU is in a PRIME location, do you know how many stars they've wasted their full potential that went on to cook it in the NFL? If Malzahn had that talent to work with, he'd be Saban-like (LSU HCs also don't have to get compared to Saban every year). It's not a far better job, but I'd take it over Auburn as long as Saban is there.

100% agree. If Gus had access to Les Miles' rosters he would lose maybe 1 game every 2 years. Miles has consistently been a QB away from being a multiple national championship coach, IMO.

"Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn" is a question that's beyond silly. Coaches don't leave Auburn for another coaching job. The last one to do so was John Heisman, I think in 1904 or thereabouts. That's 110 years since any head football coach left AU for another job. Coaches leave Auburn because they are fired or retire.

When Gus leaves Auburn it will be because he got fired or decided to retire.

"Can Auburn keep Gus Malzahn" is a question that's beyond silly. Coaches don't leave Auburn for another coaching job. The last one to do so was John Heisman, I think in 1904 or thereabouts. That's 110 years since any head football coach left AU for another job. Coaches leave Auburn because they are fired or retire.

When Gus leaves Auburn it will be because he got fired or decided to retire.

Who was the last coach to retire from AU? Shug I guess and many people felt that "it was time".

It could be that future coaches will look at our record of "loyalty" and decide to move on while their light is brightest. It's way too early IMO to be worrying about Gus but the idea that nobody leaves AU voluntarily has no basis in fact.

I'm just saying that no coach will ever retire from Auburn because the typical AU fan has no tolerance for a couple of off seasons like they did in the old days...and sooner or later every coach has a couple of 5 or 6 win seasons.

Archived