Sean White 247 Article

Weegle777

Sean White is going to do great things for Auburn in my opinion, what will be interesting is how soon we'll be able to see those great things. I think assuming JJ is the starter is silly based on a couple games and his minimal snap count. Is he the perfect size and everything you want in a QB? Absolutely. But that won't matter if Sean White outplays him and beats him to win the job.

Of all the posts I've read your assessment of our QB situation is the best IMO. I just hope the decision hasn't already been made and there is true competition. If there is no chance for them to win the job SW (or JS) will not be making a pull out all stops push of JJ. If the decision for Johnson is already final they will all know it or quickly figure it out and the competitiveness won't be there during spring.

Competition will be there and real. White will get some real time. I do think that it is a bit far fetched to think that someone who has not been in the offseason program yet or gone through a spring practice is going to unseat JJ. He's been here for two full seasons now, been in the game when it mattered and performed extremely well. White may be all things everyone says he is but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And he will have 2 years to show it, when its his turn. 3 if JJ blows up next season and is a 1 and done, but I just dont see that happening.

SW will be a great QB, in time. The idea he could jump JJ is laughable. The kid hasnt even been through a Spring, MUCH LESS taken a single collegiate snap.

One must crawl before one walks. JJ is a STUD. That grasshoppers kung-fu is very strong...

This time last year Braxton Miller was even more highly thought of at tOSU. As was TJ Barrett.

I have heard that Gus also loves what Tyler Queen has brought to the plains and has told him he will have every opportunity to compete right away as well.

Strong competition will make them all much better. I know what the expectations are, but I'm betting that the staff isn't making any assumptions.

Sean White is going to do great things for Auburn in my opinion, what will be interesting is how soon we'll be able to see those great things. I think assuming JJ is the starter is silly based on a couple games and his minimal snap count. Is he the perfect size and everything you want in a QB? Absolutely. But that won't matter if Sean White outplays him and beats him to win the job.

Of all the posts I've read your assessment of our QB situation is the best IMO. I just hope the decision hasn't already been made and there is true competition. If there is no chance for them to win the job SW (or JS) will not be making a pull out all stops push of JJ. If the decision for Johnson is already final they will all know it or quickly figure it out and the competitiveness won't be there during spring.

Competition will be there and real. White will get some real time. I do think that it is a bit far fetched to think that someone who has not been in the offseason program yet or gone through a spring practice is going to unseat JJ. He's been here for two full seasons now, been in the game when it mattered and performed extremely well. White may be all things everyone says he is but I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here.

Bingo

I have seen enough of JJ on the field over the last four years that I can unabashedly say that if SW were to beat him out this year, SW would have proved to be an absolute BEAST. Either way, we would definitely be in very good hands. IGTBAAT

And he will have 2 years to show it, when its his turn. 3 if JJ blows up next season and is a 1 and done, but I just dont see that happening.

SW will be a great QB, in time. The idea he could jump JJ is laughable. The kid hasnt even been through a Spring, MUCH LESS taken a single collegiate snap.

One must crawl before one walks. JJ is a STUD. That grasshoppers kung-fu is very strong...

This time last year Braxton Miller was even more highly thought of at tOSU. As was TJ Barrett.

I have heard that Gus also loves what Tyler Queen has brought to the plains and has told him he will have every opportunity to compete right away as well.

Strong competition will make them all much better. I know what the expectations are, but I'm betting that the staff isn't making any assumptions.

I sure bet they are. Do you remember right before the National Championship game against FSU, Gus saying that regardless of what happened that night, the QB competition would be wide open going into the next (last) Spring. While no one really expected JJ to seriously threaten Marshall as the starter. Same thing will happen this year, they will SAY the job is up for grabs, but barring injury, JJ will be QB1. That brings me to my next issue with your comment. The ONLY reason either of those other 2 QBs at tOSU sniffed the field was due to the season ending injury to Braxton Miller. Otherwise neither Jones nor Barrett see the field. Miller was the established starter, that was HIS team. That being said, we are litterly 1 snap from White taking over, then 1 more snap before we could see Jason Smith, or Tyler Queen from starting. You can never foretell injuries, but barring injury, the guy who has been QB2 for 2 years, and has even started and won a couple games, will take over before a redshirt freshman who has never taken a single collegiate snap.

I hope the comparisons to Drew Brees stop asap. We heaped a ton of expectations on Frazier and he couldn't handle it. The fact is SW has only taken practice snaps and until we see him in game action (at least the same amt of game action as JJ in his freshman season) IMO we should stop laying expectations on him that he may not be able to fulfill. I mean Drew Brees is a top 5 Super Bowl winning QB in the NFL for crying out loud, and we're comparing him to an 18 year old who hasn't even taking a single snap.

I hope JJ stays 2 years and White is ready to take the reigns as a RS Jr. Giving guys 2 (or 3) years to learn and 2 years to start seems like it is a reasonable way to expect solid QB play. The QB has had enough time to mature, learn the offense, work on his body, and adjust to college life.

Of course there are so many things that could happen between now and even A-Day so we'll see how it goes down.

I'm really looking forward to White seeing game action.

I sure bet they are. Do you remember right before the National Championship game against FSU, Gus saying that regardless of what happened that night, the QB competition would be wide open going into the next (last) Spring. While no one really expected JJ to seriously threaten Marshall as the starter. Same thing will happen this year, they will SAY the job is up for grabs, but barring injury, JJ will be QB1. That brings me to my next issue with your comment. The ONLY reason either of those other 2 QBs at tOSU sniffed the field was due to the season ending injury to Braxton Miller. Otherwise neither Jones nor Barrett see the field. Miller was the established starter, that was HIS team. That being said, we are litterly 1 snap from White taking over, then 1 more snap before we could see Jason Smith, or Tyler Queen from starting. You can never foretell injuries, but barring injury, the guy who has been QB2 for 2 years, and has even started and won a couple games, will take over before a redshirt freshman who has never taken a single collegiate snap.

On point post

We have this same conversation every year and there's always a contingent that, while not outright advocating, seems to really think the backup or guy with no experience is going to be the starter.

This

I certainly don't advocate or even think that SW (or JS) will win the job. However I'm just saying it could happen if the competition is truly open. Not likely but possible and has happened before at other programs. I won't be upset either way trusting our coaches. However some seem to think it is impossible and unthinkable to the point of not supporting coaches decision if it were to happen.

Tell me one time where BARRING INJURY a QB who has been in the system for 2 years, has been widely reported as the best backup in America, and a Freshman waltzes in and takes the job from him.

I mean sure, it COULD happen, but it just won't, and again im not saying one thing negatively about Sean. But here is the best example I can think of. Do you watch college basketball? Are you familiar with the NCAA Tournament? There have been countless tournaments, a 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed. It COULD happen, but it simply wont. Rarely can a Freshman or Redshirt Freshman make a significant contribution anywhere on the field, much less at QB.

IF Sean White wins the starting job, there are WORLDS of problems with both our coaching and talent evaluation, and I'll just leave it at that.

Tell me one time where BARRING INJURY a QB who has been in the system for 2 years, has been widely reported as the best backup in America, and a Freshman waltzes in and takes the job from him.

I mean sure, it COULD happen, but it just won't, and again im not saying one thing negatively about Sean. But here is the best example I can think of. Do you watch college basketball? Are you familiar with the NCAA Tournament? There have been countless tournaments, a 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed. It COULD happen, but it simply wont. Rarely can a Freshman or Redshirt Freshman make a significant contribution anywhere on the field, much less at QB.

IF Sean White wins the starting job, there are WORLDS of problems with both our coaching and talent evaluation, and I'll just leave it at that.

I agree that it's unlikely to happen -- even very unlikely. But I disagree with your conclusion, if it does happen.

If it happens, I think it just means that Sean White is even more awesome than we already think.

JJ will be the starting QB unless he has a season ending injury or gets kicked off of the team for some terrible off of the field reason (which will not be drug use). I hope nothing occurs that makes us have to start another QB other than JJ.

wde

I agree that it's unlikely to happen -- even very unlikely. But I disagree with your conclusion, if it does happen.

If it happens, I think it just means that Sean White is even more awesome than we already think.

If a redshirt freshman, even one as good as White, can come in and knock off someone like JJ then JJ has regressed. That is not a good thing..

If a redshirt freshman, even one as good as White, can come in and knock off someone like JJ then JJ has regressed. That is not a good thing..

I'm assuming JJ won't regress. In fact, I think he improves. I think JJ will start. I'm just saying that if SW passes him, that's more than likely a good thing.

Texas A&M's Kenny Hill replaced by true freshman Kyle Allen this year?

I'm assuming JJ won't regress. In fact, I think he improves. I think JJ will start. I'm just saying that if SW passes him, that's more than likely a good thing.

the only way for White to pass him is for JJ to regress.

I guess I should of said barring injury OR suspension, LoL

But here is the best example I can think of. Do you watch college basketball? Are you familiar with the NCAA Tournament? There have been countless tournaments, a 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed. It COULD happen, but it simply wont. Rarely can a Freshman or Redshirt Freshman make a significant contribution anywhere on the field, much less at QB.

Good Lord man.

high_horse.jpg

I guess I should of said barring injury OR suspension, LoL

Kenny Hill lost the job before he was suspended. Not to mention Kyke Allen kept the job after his suspension was over.

We have this same conversation every year and there's always a contingent that, while not outright advocating, seems to really think the backup or guy with no experience is going to be the starter.

College Football Proverb: Oh ye of football fandom, know this and have faith always, the best player on the whole damn team is the backup QB.

College Football Proverb: Oh ye of football fandom, know this and have faith always, the best player on the whole damn team is the backup QB.

I am not saying SW is better. I think JJ will be the starter, and that he'll be the starter because he's better right now. But if SW is named the starter, I don't think it'll be because JJ regressed.

Again, I am not saying SW is better.

:laugh:

What the.......

Archived