Sean White 247 Article

Weegle777

I have to be honest here. Outside of injury, if SW beats out JJ for QB, we have major QB issues. While yes, AU recruited him and signed him, we were the only SEC team to offer. In fact most of his offers come from what is considered a little lower tiered schools (Cincy, UCF, WF). Teams that we normally are not having to compete with to sign players.

I am just not buying the hype of SW. My perception is that he was pretty late take for us and other guys will eventually pass him on the depth chart.

Just my opinion which is usually wrong.

Not true. USCe really wanted him, as did Wisky.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think he'll beat out JJ for the job. Barring injury to JJ, the idea that White might win the job is very odd. Of course, the guy quoted in that article has "coached and mentored" White since the 8th grade so what would he be expected to say?

No, it's not. Change "might" to "probably will" or "should" and you'd have a point.

JJ did very well in one half against a bad defense who had spent all offseason preparing for Nick Marshall and against barely-better-than-high-school competition. He's the physical prototype for the position and will likely not only start, but play at an extremely high level. But to suggest that another guy on the roster might be as good or better is not "odd". Not sure what's so offensive to folks around here about the word "might". Does it make your brains grumpy to do the extra work of considering more than one possibility?

As bikeriderga alludes to, the real takeaway from this should be that, wow, our backup might be really good.

And as JFDTiger80 pointed out, Ohio State's 3rd string QB just won a national championship and had to hold a press conference to announce that he's staying another year while Braxton Miller is transferring.

You might be channeling your inner Metafour this morning.

:poke:

Golf and 80Tiger are presenting what I take to be the extremes (White is so good, it won't be shocking to see him displace JJ vs. White is over-hyped).

The most interesting position is that of mattarcara: if White beats out JJ, we are in great shape. That's probably true, if a bit overly rational for my taste.

I have to be honest here. Outside of injury, if SW beats out JJ for QB, we have major QB issues. While yes, AU recruited him and signed him, we were the only SEC team to offer. In fact most of his offers come from what is considered a little lower tiered schools (Cincy, UCF, WF). Teams that we normally are not having to compete with to sign players.

I am just not buying the hype of SW. My perception is that he was pretty late take for us and other guys will eventually pass him on the depth chart.

Bad recruiting decisions are made all the time....especially for QBs...the fact that White was not a 5* or recruited by every SEC school really means nothing IMO....leadership, coolness under fire, things like that are hard to measure in a 17 or 18 year old. Some of our better leaders as QB like Sullivan, Cox, Todd were not impressive physical specimens but they made the most of what they had. The good thing is that White will have the chance to win the job on the field.

Not true. USCe really wanted him, as did Wisky.

His Rivals site does not show offers for either of those. It could be wrong though.

I hope the comparisons to Drew Brees stop asap. We heaped a ton of expectations on Frazier and he couldn't handle it. The fact is SW has only taken practice snaps and until we see him in game action (at least the same amt of game action as JJ in his freshman season) IMO we should stop laying expectations on him that he may not be able to fulfill. I mean Drew Brees is a top 5 Super Bowl winning QB in the NFL for crying out loud, and we're comparing him to an 18 year old who hasn't even taking a single snap.

I hope JJ stays 2 years and White is ready to take the reigns as a RS Jr. Giving guys 2 (or 3) years to learn and 2 years to start seems like it is a reasonable way to expect solid QB play. The QB has had enough time to mature, learn the offense, work on his body, and adjust to college life.

Of course there are so many things that could happen between now and even A-Day so we'll see how it goes down.

Bad recruiting decisions are made all the time....especially for QBs...the fact that White was not a 5* or recruited by every SEC school really means nothing IMO....leadership, coolness under fire, things like that are hard to measure in a 17 or 18 year old. Some of our better leaders as QB like Sullivan, Cox, Todd were not impressive physical specimens but they made the most of what they had. The good thing is that White will have the chance to win the job on the field.

While I agree with those intangibles, I would argue that higher recruited QB's play more than those that are rated lower. BTW I am sure you are aware that Sullivan was highly recruited (UA,ND) and I think Cox had decent offers including UF.

I don't think he'll beat out JJ for the job. Barring injury to JJ, the idea that White might win the job is very odd. Of course, the guy quoted in that article has "coached and mentored" White since the 8th grade so what would he be expected to say?

No, it's not. Change "might" to "probably will" or "should" and you'd have a point.

JJ did very well in one half against a bad defense who had spent all offseason preparing for Nick Marshall and against barely-better-than-high-school competition. He's the physical prototype for the position and will likely not only start, but play at an extremely high level. But to suggest that another guy on the roster might be as good or better is not "odd". Not sure what's so offensive to folks around here about the word "might". Does it make your brains grumpy to do the extra work of considering more than one possibility?

As bikeriderga alludes to, the real takeaway from this should be that, wow, our backup might be really good.

And as JFDTiger80 pointed out, Ohio State's 3rd string QB just won a national championship and had to hold a press conference to announce that he's staying another year while Braxton Miller is transferring.

You might be channeling your inner Metafour this morning.

:poke:

Golf and 80Tiger are presenting what I take to be the extremes (White is so good, it won't be shocking to see him displace JJ vs. White is over-hyped).

The most interesting position is that of mattarcara: if White beats out JJ, we are in great shape. That's probably true, if a bit overly rational for my taste.

You're probably right. It's just... odd... that this fanbase- of all fanbases- continues to make these assumptions about the quarterback position. Substitute Nick Marshall and Jeremy Johnson for Cam Newton and Kiehl Frazier or Brandon Cox and Kodi Burns and we have recently had this exact same conversation more than once. Kiehl Frazier was Malzahn's protege of protoges and the prodigy of prodigies. Kodi Burns won a bowl game. Again, I'm confident that JJ's career won't resemble theirs, but I'm capable of having an open mind.

Side note: metafour might be a jerk, but at least he's usually right :)

I hope the comparisons to Drew Brees stop asap. We heaped a ton of expectations on Frazier and he couldn't handle it. The fact is SW has only taken practice snaps and until we see him in game action (at least the same amt of game action as JJ in his freshman season) IMO we should stop laying expectations on him that he may not be able to fulfill. I mean Drew Brees is a top 5 Super Bowl winning QB in the NFL for crying out loud, and we're comparing him to an 18 year old who hasn't even taking a single snap.

I hope JJ stays 2 years and White is ready to take the reigns as a RS Jr. Giving guys 2 (or 3) years to learn and 2 years to start seems like it is a reasonable way to expect solid QB play. The QB has had enough time to mature, learn the offense, work on his body, and adjust to college life.

Of course there are so many things that could happen between now and even A-Day so we'll see how it goes down.

Doing it that way has given us some of our best sustained success. It worked back in the 80's with Burger and Slack. It worked in the 90's with Nix and Craig.

While I agree with those intangibles, I would argue that higher recruited QB's play more than those that are rated lower. BTW I am sure you are aware that Sullivan was highly recruited (UA,ND) and I think Cox had decent offers including UF.

Dont go based of that. A bad qb wouldnt win mvp of the all star game and elite 11 camp against qb's with better offers. I truly dont give a rip what rivals our scout shows as offers

I'm changing nothing. I find it extremely odd. If your mileage varies then one of us is wrong and I think you're the one that's wrong. If you think I'm the one that's wrong I'm not losing any sleep over it.

JJ will be the starter. There is no doubt about that. He's so talented and athletic and has been patiently waiting his turn behind Nick. He's our guy. DCraig said so in an article as well. I do not disagree one bit, Sean White is a stud and has the ability to start. Give him a year or two more learning the offense and a little bit of playing time. But his time is coming. Gus is a QB guru and he'll pick the right one. JJ is just more prepared at this point.

the Frazier expectations got started before he got here. He didn't get the good reports for performance in practice. The good reports on Frazier was based on potential and physical tools and our desperation because he didn't have top competition. I think white came in with less expectations and has been a pleasant surprise. I do agree the hype don't really help, unless he backs it up.

the Frazier expectations got started before he got here. He didn't get the good reports for performance in practice. The good reports on Frazier was based on potential and physical tools and our desperation because he didn't have top competition. I think white came in with less expectations and has been a pleasant surprise. I do agree the hype don't really help, unless he backs it up.

I agree on the Frazier part, but I had seen some on here draw the Brees comparisons to White either after he committed and was still in HS or had yet to make a college decision. I just think it's really tough for an 18 year old to have to try to live up to those expectations and, in turn, then he strains to reach those heights which hurts their overall game -- especially from a mental standpoint which is so important if you're playing QB.

I'm changing nothing. I find it extremely odd. If your mileage varies then one of us is wrong and I think you're the one that's wrong. If you think I'm the one that's wrong I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I've never maintained any illusions that you give a flip what I (or any other Joe Random Message Board Guy) think. I respect that about you.

You never know with injuries. This year, I was very confident that if Nick went down JJ would step right in and do a great job. Hopefully Sean is going to get to the same level before the season begins. If OSU hadn't had 3 ready this year they would never have been a position to get to the championship much less win it. Of course, I hope the coaches will be able to get him some playing time in blowouts or maybe have some packages like they did for JJ and we avoid any injury to JJ. That kid has great written all over him.

As AU fans we should hope that every player has the potential to be the next GREAT......and some will in due time. From what I have read ad heard White is gong to be a stud QB for AU right after JJ get done being a stud QB for AU.

As AU fans we should hope that every player has the potential to be the next GREAT......and some will in due time. From what I have read ad heard White is gong to be a stud QB for AU right after JJ get done being a stud QB for AU.

Precisely. You always want the next man up to be ready to step in and keep it going without missing a beat. That's how you have sustained success and compete for championships every year.

I hope White wins the job because we know how good JJ is. If White can beat him out, then he could be the second best thing to ever happen to Auburn football (Cam being the best).

You must be young. I would argue that Bo Jackson was the best thing to ever happen to AU Football and I am certain others may say Sullivan, etc.

I hope White wins the job because we know how good JJ is. If White can beat him out, then he could be the second best thing to ever happen to Auburn football (Cam being the best).

You must be young. I would argue that Bo Jackson was the best thing to ever happen to AU Football and I am certain others may say Sullivan, etc.

My vote goes to Bo. He was such an integral part of ending that losing streak to Alabama and helping to establish Auburn as a power once again.

I was thinking the very same thing. I mean, I am 36, and BARELY remember BO playing at Auburn. Sure I remember everything about him in the pros, but only have flashes of memories of Bo being a Tiger, and I would say Bo would be #1 while Cam #2 and Sully #3. I put Cam in front of Sully only because of winning the National Championship.

Also, on KF, yeah he was supposed to be the next great thing at AU. But if you remember, the cluster F that was 2012, and being forced into a pro style offense, without Malzahn mind you (the sole reason he signed with us) the kid was setup for failure. He had out of this world confidence when he signed, but the loss of his mentor, doubled with the idiot who is Scott Loeffler, he had NO CHANCE to succeed. Then by the time Malzahn returned, his confidence was shattered, to the point of no return. I fully believe that had Malzahn not left, and he was never forced into the sham that was the Loeffler offense, he could of been great...

Back on topic, if everyone would rewind their minds to these past 2 seasons, the EXACT SAME THINGS were said about JJ. The thought behind that idea is simple. The backup QB is usually the most popular player on the team. I have no doubts about Sean White. He was a 3* nobody and stepped in and won the elite 11, and committed to Auburn almost right after. Then he looked like a man among boys in the UA game. You better believe if he committed to the evil empire, he would of IMMEDIATELY been bumped to a 5*. The kid has skills, and no one is doubting that. Just like our last WORLD CLASS backup, White just has to wait his turn. However as has been said, with an actual defense, perhaps he can be playing the entire 4th quarter of most games.

The future is BRIGHT under center. Seems like FOREVER since we have been able to say that...

I think Auburn could be the next Ohio State, they could keep reloading at QB if someone got hurt.

I hope Jeremy keeps the job for the whole remainder of his career tho

How dare you sir!

Know what you meant, but would rather "Auburn would be able to replace multiple QB's similar in fashion to the way THE Ohio State University (sic) had to in 2014 . . ."

I think that coach Dye was the best thing to happen to AU football. He put us on even ground with the turds, changed the way we think about AU football, and was the coach that recruited Bo.

I think that coach Dye was the best thing to happen to AU football. He put us on even ground with the turds, changed the way we think about AU football, and was the coach that recruited Bo.

We have a winner

We have a winner

Starting with Dye, every Auburn coach has an undefeated season ('93, '04, '10), has made it to a national championship game ('10, '13), has won a national championship ('10) and/or was screwed out of one ('83, '04). Not many schools can claim something like that.

Archived