Sean White 247 Article

Weegle777

I know SW is a talent. JJ is one too. He is a fantastic looking qb. We've seen it. For a redshirt freshman, even a talent like SW, to overtake him, he would have to regress. If the JJ we saw in the first half against Arkansas, is there, SW can't overtake that guy. He's talented but a redshirt freshman can't move past someone who has performed like that unless that person regressed.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tell me one time where BARRING INJURY a QB who has been in the system for 2 years, has been widely reported as the best backup in America, and a Freshman waltzes in and takes the job from him.

I mean sure, it COULD happen, but it just won't, and again im not saying one thing negatively about Sean. But here is the best example I can think of. Do you watch college basketball? Are you familiar with the NCAA Tournament? There have been countless tournaments, a 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed. It COULD happen, but it simply wont. Rarely can a Freshman or Redshirt Freshman make a significant contribution anywhere on the field, much less at QB.

IF Sean White wins the starting job, there are WORLDS of problems with both our coaching and talent evaluation, and I'll just leave it at that.

Texas A&M's Kenny Hill replaced by true freshman Kyle Allen this year?

I guess I should of said barring injury OR suspension, LoL

Ok, Florida's Jeff Driskell replaced by true freshman Treon Harris this year?

I know SW is a talent. JJ is one too. He is a fantastic looking qb. We've seen it. For a redshirt freshman, even a talent like SW, to overtake him, he would have to regress. If the JJ we saw in the first half against Arkansas, is there, SW can't overtake that guy. He's talented but a redshirt freshman can't move past someone who has performed like that unless that person regressed.

:laugh: Ok, tigger. I think it's safe to say we disagree, which is cool with me.

Again, we agree that JJ deserves to and will start.

Tell me one time where BARRING INJURY a QB who has been in the system for 2 years, has been widely reported as the best backup in America, and a Freshman waltzes in and takes the job from him.

I mean sure, it COULD happen, but it just won't, and again im not saying one thing negatively about Sean. But here is the best example I can think of. Do you watch college basketball? Are you familiar with the NCAA Tournament? There have been countless tournaments, a 16 seed has NEVER beaten a 1 seed. It COULD happen, but it simply wont. Rarely can a Freshman or Redshirt Freshman make a significant contribution anywhere on the field, much less at QB.

IF Sean White wins the starting job, there are WORLDS of problems with both our coaching and talent evaluation, and I'll just leave it at that.

Jeff was terrible though.

You guys do know that Sean White pushing JJ to the limit is actually a really good thing right? Pessimistic thinking leads you to believe that if White actually has a chance to start, that Jeremy has regressed. Optimistic thinking says that if White pushes JJ, that we have zero dropoff if God-forbid Jeremy goes down. Perspective people!

Why are we always having this discussion? We do this every year. It's like we're never happy with the number one guy. We're always wondering about the number 2 guy and if he should be able to pass the number one guy. We did it last year too. As soon as JJ leaves we'll immediately look to who's behind White.

Why do so many Auburn fans find it to be a bad thing that our number two guy might push our number one guy? AGAIN, THIS IS A GOOD THING.

Why do so many Auburn fans find it to be a bad thing that our number two guy might push our number one guy? AGAIN, THIS IS A GOOD THING.

why are so many Auburn fans obsessed with Sean White. Frankly if a guy that's never been through one offseason or spring practice can come in and be the number one guy that says a lot about the ones already there who have already been in games when it mattered. JJ never really came close to unseating Nick and White shouldn't come close to unseating JJ.

why are so many Auburn fans obsessed with Sean White. Frankly if a guy that's never been through one offseason or spring practice can come in and be the number one guy that says a lot about the ones already there who have already been in games when it mattered. JJ never really came close to unseating Nick and White shouldn't come close to unseating JJ.

Umm..because he is an AUBURN FOOTBALL PLAYER. Are you an insider in the athletic department? If you aren't then you have no idea about the QB battle last season. Look man, everybody including myself, wants Jeremy as the starter, but being pushed to a higher level, again, IS A VERY GOOD THING. WDE.

You sir, could not be more correct.

This Auburn fan (er, grad) finds that competition and accountability are both difficult and highly beneficial. In every area of life.

Pretty sure that kind of requirement from the Auburn family is what kept Chizik from continuing the downward direction of the program. And what has caused Jay Jacobs to come to his senses and make hires like Myers, Pearl, Malzahn (& subsequently Muschamp), hopefully Golloway (& subsequently Holliday) and will keep him from pulling stunts like Marsh in the future. Everybody can't be the starter, but they and their coach better be ready if/when the starter goes down. I can't stand Bill Belichick, but this is one area he excels at that helps make him so successful.

You sir, could not be more correct.

This Auburn fan (er, grad) finds that competition and accountability are both difficult and highly beneficial. In every area of life.

Pretty sure that kind of requirement from the Auburn family is what kept Chizik from continuing the downward direction of the program. And what has caused Jay Jacobs to come to his senses and make hires like Myers, Pearl, Malzahn (& subsequently Muschamp), hopefully Golloway (& subsequently Holliday) and will keep him from pulling stunts like Marsh in the future. Everybody can't be the starter, but they and their coach better be ready if/when the starter goes down. I can't stand Bill Belichick, but this is one area he excels at that help make him so successful.

Agreed. It helps us long-term. If and when JJ leaves, it's next man up. It helps us with Gus and his pedigree with qbs. The more quarterbacks we put in the nfl, the better for Auburn.

Jeff was terrible though.

Y'all keep changing the rules of the game on me! LOL

We know that now on the back end of it, but he came in with a lot of hype and expectations. He for whatever reason didn't progress as expected, whether it was that he had hit his ceiling too early or perhaps he couldn't handle the pressure of being the guy to command the offense. Prior to his unraveling, though, some were thinking he could be a QB that would play in the same style of Tebow.

Look, I'm just going to post this and be done with this thread.

SW is a player. He has the potential to be great. Competition is a great thing, it will only make JJ better. But if you guys HONESTLY think that SW has a legit 50/50 chance to walk in and be the starter over JJ who has been here 2 years, and has been nothing but money when called on, then I just dont know what to say

Contrary to some belief in this very thread, if SW (or any other QB on the roster) passes JJ there are going to be SERIOUS problems this year. While competition making the starter better get better is GREAT, a redshirt freshman who has never taken a single collegiate snap surpassing him in the depth chart will NOT be great, it would in fact be horrible for next season. We are poised (some think) for a championship run. Rarely does that happen with a Freshman under center. I just dont understand how you guys think that would be a good thing... again, nothing against SW, I have no doubts he will be a star.

Its just not his turn yet guys. Its as simple as that. We have a NFL talent in JJ, I've never in my life seen a fanbase clamor so much for 2 years to see a guy, then want a freshman to start over who they wanted to see for 2 years. It baffles me...

Oh well, to each his own. We all want the same thing anyway, I think anyway, everyone calling for SW over JJ makes me question that statement though...

WDE from Eugene Oregon

Good grief. How many times does it have to be said? Maybe caps will help:

NOBODY REALLY THINKS WHITE WILL BEAT JEREMY OUT, HIS TALENT PUSHING JEREMY IS A REALLY GOOD THING. I WOULD RATHER HAVE TWO ELITE SIGNAL-CALLERS THAN HAVE A BACKUP THAT IS TERRIBLE. WE SHOULD BE GLAD THAT WHITE HAS A SHOT, AS THAT WILL PUSH JJ TO BE EVEN BETTER. I WANT WHITE TO PUSH JJ. HECK JJ PUSHING NICK MADE HIM UP HIS PASSING GAME. COMPETITION IS GOOD.

Look, I'm just going to post this and be done with this thread.

SW is a player. He has the potential to be great. Competition is a great thing, it will only make JJ better. But if you guys HONESTLY think that SW has a legit 50/50 chance to walk in and be the starter over JJ who has been here 2 years, and has been nothing but money when called on, then I just dont know what to say

Contrary to some belief in this very thread, if SW (or any other QB on the roster) passes JJ there are going to be SERIOUS problems this year. While competition making the starter better get better is GREAT, a redshirt freshman who has never taken a single collegiate snap surpassing him in the depth chart will NOT be great, it would in fact be horrible for next season. We are poised (some think) for a championship run. Rarely does that happen with a Freshman under center. I just dont understand how you guys think that would be a good thing...

Well...I'm not in the "White is gonna take the job away from JJ" camp, but the way I look at it is that if White does in fact turn out to be that good and just makes a case to be the starter that Malzahn and Lashlee can't ignore, then it most certainly can't be a bad thing. To do that would mean that White was a once in a coaching career kind of talent. And a redshirt freshman with a year in the system isn't really a freshman by anything other than eligibility classification.

Anyway...I'm not expecting anything but JJ as starter barring injury. But if White should unseat him, watch out!

We are blessed with a brain-trust that knows talent, and knows where to best use the high quality of talent on hand. I have no doubt whatsoever that our coaching staff will put the best players at each position in order to give the team the best chance of winning each game.

He may very well be good but white may be the most hyped up player on our team

I think they'll both earn it in the long run, but the presumed starter has received far more hype.

I agree with this.

I hope White wins the job because we know how good JJ is. If White can beat him out, then he could be the second best thing to ever happen to Auburn football (Cam being the best).

You must be young. I would argue that Bo Jackson was the best thing to ever happen to AU Football and I am certain others may say Sullivan, etc.

My vote goes to Bo. He was such an integral part of ending that losing streak to Alabama and helping to establish Auburn as a power once again.

not just Sully himself but the Sully to Beasley pass connection. I think the way that Terry Beasley sacrificed his body to make some the most fantastic catches was was what made Sully the qb he was.

I hope White wins the job because we know how good JJ is. If White can beat him out, then he could be the second best thing to ever happen to Auburn football (Cam being the best).

You must be young. I would argue that Bo Jackson was the best thing to ever happen to AU Football and I am certain others may say Sullivan, etc.

My vote goes to Bo. He was such an integral part of ending that losing streak to Alabama and helping to establish Auburn as a power once again.

not just Sully himself but the Sully to Beasley pass connection. I think the way that Terry Beasley sacrificed his body to make some the most fantastic catches was was what made Sully the qb he was.

Totally Agree!!! Terry was an unsung hero in terms of Auburn lore. He is in bad shape physically now because of what he did as a Tiger.

If you have not read his inspiring story encourage every AU family member to do so!

I totally agree also. Even when Beasley wasn't catching the ball, he was a force to be dealt with. When he was in the game, he always drew double coverage, leaving the other receivers one on one. Alvin Bresler and Dick Schmaltz both benefitted from Beasley. Two games come to mind. One was against Tenn and the other was against Alabama. In both games, Beasley was knocked out early and the offense struggled. When he came back in the game the offfense clicked and we won both games with a late touchdown drive. Now we know he had concussions in those games and today, he probably wouldn't play for 2 weeks. In those days, as soon as he could see straight again, he was allowed back in the game. Sullivan was a great QB, but he never would have won the Heisman without Terry Beasley.

Mickey Zofko was a force during his playing time. He was one of the cogs in the big wheel of Auburn football in yester-year. I wonder whatever happened to him.

I believe Zofko scored the winning touchdown against Tenn in that game with a run up the middle,and Wallace Clark was the lead blocker. I know Zofko played a few years in the NFL with the Lions, but I haven't heard anything about him recently.

• 8 months later...

Archived