Men vs. uat - Post-game thread

InfernoOrangeSS

Just a bad play at the end. Still trying to figure out what it was that we were trying to do.

It wasn't a bad play. You don't draw up for a guy to dribble off himself and lose the ball. KT was in the wing as well as Mason on the other side. TSD is our quickest guard. He was supposed to drive to the hole and kick out to one of them ideally, or draw a foul or dish to Granger or Bowers cutting to the hole.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Barbed were still coach, his head would be wanted on a platter for this SEC season. 2-4???? Only 3 teams in the SEC worse than us right now and weve played an easy SEC schedule.... no possible excuse for constantly going 5 plus minute scoring droughts...hell we scored EIGHT POINTS in the final 8.5 minutes in a rivalry game! Bruce needs to go back to the drawing board on offensive scheme because this is getting downright disgusting. To top it off, we stop pressing hard at the end until their final throw in with the game slilping away! This is atleast the 5th game this year Ive seen BP outcoached. Not a good start for a new coach. Hope he gets it together again cause right now he is failing on coaching offense and a winning mindset. Our guys fully exoect to lose every close game and it is obvious we are going to lose even while we are winning. Im officially done caring about this season as it all but ruined already. Maybe next year we will actually play offense.

EDIT: ADMITTEDLY I AM JUST VENTING AND I KNOW IT WILL IMPROVE

Wow. You turn a 12 point spread into a loss in the last minute and you get outcoached? Grant has been building that program for 6 years and in 6 weeks, BP put a team out there that almost upended him. A team that many have in the NCAA this season by the way

Wow. You turn a 12 point spread into a loss in the last minute and you get outcoached? Grant has been building that program for 6 years and in 6 weeks, BP put a team out there that almost upended him. A team that many have in the NCAA this season by the way

I haven't watched uat this year, are they really tourney material? If so, this might not be as bad a loss as it seemed. I saw the line was uat -10.5, but I thougt it was just home court advantage giving that big a spread considering how awful AU is on the road.

Once we got the lead we tried to take the air out of the basketball we became tentative we quit getting the ball down low to Bowers. I love Bruce Pearl and I see improved play but taking the air out and quit doing what got us the big lead is on the coach. People are saying we need to improve situational awareness, it was less that then we were trying to milk the clock and save the game instead of just playing and winning the game.

I know by criticizing Pearl I am going to get lambasted, but it is what I saw. I still believe in Pearl and I still believe he will lead us to bigger and better things but tonight in the last 8 minutes he deserves some of the blame.

If Barbed were still coach, his head would be wanted on a platter for this SEC season. 2-4???? Only 3 teams in the SEC worse than us right now and weve played an easy SEC schedule.... no possible excuse for constantly going 5 plus minute scoring droughts...hell we scored EIGHT POINTS in the final 8.5 minutes in a rivalry game! Bruce needs to go back to the drawing board on offensive scheme because this is getting downright disgusting. To top it off, we stop pressing hard at the end until their final throw in with the game slilping away! This is atleast the 5th game this year Ive seen BP outcoached. Not a good start for a new coach. Hope he gets it together again cause right now he is failing on coaching offense and a winning mindset. Our guys fully exoect to lose every close game and it is obvious we are going to lose even while we are winning. Im officially done caring about this season as it all but ruined already. Maybe next year we will actually play offense.

Getting outscored 19-8 in the final eight minutes while changing nothing is getting outcoached...spreads dont matter..We got outcoached

Getting outscored 19-8 in the final eight minutes while changing nothing is getting outcoached...spreads dont matter..We got outcoached

So you want Anthony Grant instead of Bruce Pearl. Got it, chief.

Don't be a simpleton. Act like you know what you're looking at. I'm sure Pearl would make some different decisions in hindsight, but Grant didn't do anything special. They made some plays that we didn't and got a couple of bounces.

Go have a glass of wine and chill out. It's not that I don't get being upset we lost, but damn man.

I haven't watched uat this year, are they really tourney material? If so, this might not be as bad a loss as it seemed. I saw the line was uat -10.5, but I thougt it was just home court advantage giving that big a spread considering how awful AU is on the road.

Bama is a last minute basket going in at Wichita State from being firmly in the field right now as a 5-6 seed

Never said anything like that. Dont put words in my mouth, Chief...got it?

Don't be a simpleton. Act like you know what you're looking at. I'm sure Pearl would make some different decisions in hindsight, but Grant didn't do anything special. They made some plays that we didn't and got a couple of bounces.

Go have a glass of wine and chill out. It's not that I don't get being upset we lost, but damn man.

Already said I was just venting....

Deductive reasoning. If five coaches have outcoached Bruce Pearl, and outcoached him so egregiously for you to be so insistent upon the fact, there must be at least one of those five you'd rather have on the AU bench. Now, just curious, please name the other four coaches who outcoached him this season so we all can already have a short list to look at when Bruce gets fired.

Grant didn't do much of anything to turn the game around. Randolph turned that game around almost single handedly. We did not play well at all in the final 8 minutes. I think we got tired. They looked like they were moving in slow motion compared to Randolph and a couple others. We are getting there. Pearl is still trying to get the Barbee out of a few of the upper classmen. I see improvements but there are still too many lapses in effort and tenacity. As I stated, we are getting there.

Deductive reasoning. If five coaches have outcoached Bruce Pearl, and outcoached him so egregiously for you to be so insistent upon the fact, there must be at least one of those five you'd rather have on the AU bench. Now, just curious, please name the other four coaches who outcoached him this season so we all can already have a short list to look at when Bruce gets fired.

Wow youre gonna push that envelope huh? Just said I didnt say anything like that and you wont let it go. Go badger someone else. Chief. Im not interested in your nitpicking argument.

Have yet to see a consistent Auburn team in a close game yet

they just flop in key moments

and I'm not talking about the football team (too soon?)

Seriously though, that winners mentality that Pearl had the fan base embracing preseason hasn't spread to the court yet

Just to state that Pearl got out coached multiple times means you want him fired? Gregg Popovich has gotten out coached before this year multiple times, but no one in the San Antonio Spurs organization would take any other coach alive or dead. Of course Popovich has enough rings to cover one hand, but you get the point

This game was a lot better than the mid-week loss to MSU. Pearl certainly did not get out coached. Randolph took over the game and we don't have a player that can do that.

If anybody got out coached it was Grant. How can you have a team in your sixth year and nearly lose to your rival at home? If this game saved Grant's job then that will be one positive that came out of it.

I don't know what some of you were expecting this season. Barbee left a worse mess than Lebo did and it's going to take some time to clean it up. We are making progress and I don't see how anybody that pays attention to basketball can have any question about that.

Seems the pre-season excitement over Pearl's hiring has created what I feared. Unreasonable expectations for the first year. He cobbled together a team at the last minute. These guys have only been playing together for a couple of months. Every team we are going up against is a roster of players that have the cohesion that time playing together affords.

This year is a foundation for great things to come. I don't know why so many fail to see this.

Pearl took an NCAA bubble team to the last second in a close loss. If that doesn't speak volumes as to his ability, I don't know what will.

War Eagle!!

Seems the pre-season excitement over Pearl's hiring has created what I feared. Unreasonable expectations for the first year. He cobbled together a team at the last minute. These guys have only been playing together for a couple of months. Every team we are going up against is a roster of players that have the cohesion that time playing together affords.

This year is a foundation for great things to come. I don't know why so many fail to see this.

Pearl took an NCAA bubble team to the last second in a close loss. If that doesn't speak volumes as to his ability, I don't know what will.

War Eagle!!

While I agree overall...Barbee should have beat Florida twice last year...actually last year all we did was play everyone close and lose in the end...not much different than tonight...we definitely play better defense now but somehow that hasn't improved our results in win/loss....strange...you would think as good as the D plays now we would win more games...Is the offense worse than last year or is the SEC better? Not sure which...

Lol it's funny when we play Bama and lose everyone on this site comes to this board to start talking about how bad we looked... But half of y'all haven't watched more then three games this year... Bruce Pearl is building a program, which was in the dumps before Bruce got here. Let him get his players and if we still suck after next season then you can say what you want about him.

The changes that are occurring and the progress that is being made is happening behind the scenes not in front. Coach Pearl has come in and is changing the culture of Auburn basketball from within. That takes time. Sometimes, a long time. As it has been stated, u have several players whom have only known each other for a matter of months. It takes time to have great chemistry and a feeling for what your teammates/ players can and will do. I expect that next year will give us some of the same frustrating moments. We will be bringing in 4-5 new guys who will have to learn the system as well as each other. Good times are ahead I promise u. It just takes time to translate on the court. Even with that being said I don't understand how some fundamental errors, mostly caused by laziness and or momentary lapse of focus, seems to befall our team in such critical moments. One thing is for sure in my opinion, these guys love each other and will fight for each other, their coach and us, the fans. Good things come from a team with heart and desire. We have both. And, we have the right man in place to give us a chance to achieve great things. Just give it time. I mean, dang, it's been a while since we were good. I'm going to be patient and hopeful for the future. Even if I yell and scream and throw my hat when they do bone headed things. They are giving it their all. Sometimes it's just not enough. Most times it will be.

Blame JJ for letting the program hit rock bottom the way it did. Stop blaming the team and the coaches who are putting heart and soul into AU Basketball. Barbee was just mentally defeated by the mess he was handed and he was too inexperienced to handle it. He gave up and so did his team.

CBP doesn't have the depth that he needs. Those kids are exhausted by the time the last few minutes of a game rolls around, and they just get sloppy because they are out of gas. They give it all they've got and then some....and I'm happy to see that. I'm proud of them for never losing their fighting spirit even when they are physically spent. I'm hoping nobody gets hurt playing that way.

I love this team even when they lose just because they have so much heart.

I'm sure Pearl will instill in them you can't shoot well from the FT line for one game and you can't shoot well from the floor for one game and you can't rebound and play defense well for one...you have to do it every game. I'm sure once Pearl has the talent level up to his liking this team will have a more business-like approach to each and EVERY game.

To be frank anybody crying about Bruce Pearl right now simply does not understand basketball. This is not a super talented team. Individually we're not good defenders, maybe Ross but he gambles alot to get those steals. We're pretty good as a team though for the players we have. Levi Randolph is simply more talented and he carried them at the end at home. Sometimes guys carry teams...I think it will be different at our house

Blame JJ for letting the program hit rock bottom the way it did. Stop blaming the team and the coaches who are putting heart and soul into AU Basketball. Barbee was just mentally defeated by the mess he was handed and he was too inexperienced to handle it. He gave up and so did his team.

CBP doesn't have the depth that he needs. Those kids are exhausted by the time the last few minutes of a game rolls around, and they just get sloppy because they are out of gas. They give it all they've got and then some....and I'm happy to see that. I'm proud of them for never losing their fighting spirit even when they are physically spent. I'm hoping nobody gets hurt playing that way.

I love this team even when they lose just because they have so much heart.

AU players don't play anymore minutes per game than anyone else. Check the stats of about any game if you doubt that. It's not depth....IMO it's just the talent does not match up. As for "cold" spells, that's pretty much the normal situation when most of the players shoot less than 40% from the field...means they are missing about 2 out of every 3 shots they take and the guy with the most foul shots this season by nearly double is hitting less than half of them.

Compare their stats with the SEC or Div 1..any which way you want to...team, individual or whatever and this is just not a very good team and the best players will be gone after this season. JMO but BP's enthusiasm has papered over the fact that this team is not any better than most of the ones under Barbee...if you exclude last year since everyone knew he was a dead man walking all year.

We have some good kids coming in next season but from what I see, none are the kind of 5* players that will immediately turn the team around. This year's subs are likely to be next season's starters... BP has a long row to hoe at AU.

Archived