ICYMI: WR Dominic Walker transferring

RunInRed

I agree with the last three posts - I find it puzzling that some posters draw the picture that the coaches call a kid in and say "hey it's not working out here, we got an eye on someone potentially better" so pack your bags, turn in your playbook, equipment etc., and beat it. You know kinda like an episode of HBO Hard Knocks...

I think there is such a different mindset on kids coming out of high school compared to years ago, drives this transfer issue at all schools. Years ago I believe that for many kids the end result was a free college education, now I believe every high school kid's end result is the NFL. So if they are not getting playing time, what can they do to change that. I think schools are o.k with it since it allows for signing 25 guys every year. Can you imagine the fear among fans if every kid stayed for 3 years and we could only sign 10 kids one year to reach the 85 total. We the fans would think the world was coming to an end.

This thread is, indeed, all about not just speculation, but assumptions. Lashlee had pointed out that Walker was making good progress as a receiver. There are other reasons he might leave at the end of the semester and enroll elsewhere. And with his size and potential, to go to a CC rather than transfer to a D1 or D2 school. This suggests it might be academics. I don't know that to be a fact, but I do think it is wrong to just assume that he was pushed out by the coaches or left because he felt he would not get a chance to play.

Academics could be a factor. Also, transfering to D1 FBS means sitting out a year, but transferring to CC would let him play in a meaningful and visible way, which might help him land again at an FBS school. Alternatively, he could transfer to an FCS school and play immediately.

Given he has completed two years at AU, but considered CC, suggests Walker wants to improve his academics. As a RS Sophomore, he has the option of CC.

This sounds like what is best for Walker. A second year as an academic sophomore, playing time, and the potential to land at an FBS or FCS school.

Lashlee had pointed out that Walker was making good progress as a receiver.

Its called coach-speak. No coach is EVER going to come out and say "so-and-so really hasn't panned out at all, we don't ever see him contributing". Instead you're going to hear a lot about "making progress" and "could be a player down the line".

When a kid can't get off the PRACTICE SQUAD after 2 full seasons, he isn't progressing. At that point you have to expect that incoming receivers will lap him, which more or less kills any chance of said player ever contributing in significant games.

just 18 months ago he was expected to be a pretty good player

We expect every player we sign to be a "pretty good player", but the reality is that every class we bring in will have guys that simply don't end up being good enough to play at this level. Walker made very little progress in his time here and wasn't expected to crack the playing rotation, period.

^^^This all day long!^^^

I am aware of fans expectations ....It takes a lot of players more than two years to touch the field in a meaningful way. Does that mean AU gives up on guys after that or does the player leave on his own for more opps elsewhere? AU was raved for honoring 4 year schollys - just trying to determine if the kid was truly run off..

Its a New Day...The program is changing #AuburnFast

We expect every player we sign to be a "pretty good player", but the reality is that every class we bring in will have guys that simply don't end up being good enough to play at this level. Walker made very little progress in his time here and wasn't expected to crack the playing rotation, period.

^^^This all day long!^^^

I am aware of fans expectations ....It takes a lot of players more than two years to touch the field in a meaningful way. Does that mean AU gives up on guys after that or does the player leave on his own for more opps elsewhere? AU was raved for honoring 4 year schollys - just trying to determine if the kid was truly run off..

That comes no where near answering the question...

^^^This all day long!^^^

Used to be player loyalty carried more weight...now, not so much. They want to get on the field and play the game...therefore, in the absence of that they choose to transfer. I would think that very few are shown the door unless they are trouble makers or not doing what they are supposed to be doing (academics, etc.).

In this case, it sounds like the kid wants to play the game he loves...I say good luck to him and thanks for being a part of AU.

I have no idea why he transferred but I do know he gave Auburn 2 years and for that I thank him and wish him the best in the future.

^^^This all day long!^^^

Used to be player loyalty carried more weight...now, not so much. They want to get on the field and play the game...therefore, in the absence of that they choose to transfer. I would think that very few are shown the door unless they are trouble makers or not doing what they are supposed to be doing (academics, etc.).

In this case, it sounds like the kid wants to play the game he loves...I say good luck to him and thanks for being a part of AU.

Agreed...sounds like he wants to play and by going CC route he may not be there but just one semester unless his academics are not in order.

I have no idea why he transferred but I do know he gave Auburn 2 years and for that I thank him and wish him the best in the future.

Glad he was here and hope nothing but the best for him in his future.

...or did Auburn give him 2 years?

...or did Auburn give him 2 years?

Both he gave Auburn 2 years and they gave him 2 years wish him well at his new school.

I do not want players on the team that do not want to be here. We all know that Auburn is one of the elite programs in the country. To be given a scholarship to play for Auburn is a privilege that comes with high expectations. For each player lost, we should replace him with a player at least 1 star rating higher than his rating.

I think that there is a movement under foot that we want the best of the best to come to Auburn. I know some of the reasons the kids have that require them to leave Auburn are legit and should be respected. Those that just cannot handle the requirements of playing college football and the rigors of university course requirements are better off moving on. I do wish these kids the best and hope that they do not later on regret their decision.

I do not want players on the team that do not want to be here. We all know that Auburn is one of the elite programs in the country. To be given a scholarship to play for Auburn is a privilege that comes with high expectations. For each player lost, we should replace him with a player at least 1 star rating higher than his rating.

I think that there is a movement under foot that we want the best of the best to come to Auburn. I know some of the reasons the kids have that require them to leave Auburn are legit and should be respected. Those that just cannot handle the requirements of playing college football and the rigors of university course requirements are better off moving on. I do wish these kids the best and hope that they do not later on regret their decision.

Doc, you said it yourself: Auburn is elite. That means that even really, really good football players who put in the effort on and off the field may never get to step on it on Saturdays. If football is Dominic Walker's passion and what he feels is his best route to a lucrative career, then there's no reason he should wither on the vine.

Archived