Auburn at the 2015 NFL Combine

RunInRed

I will not be surprised to see Blackson have a much better NFL career than he had at Auburn. The tools have always been there but the light never full came on during his time at AU. He's got the potential to be pretty dang disruptive at a 3 technique or at nose guard.

That would be great for Blackson, but an indictment on his DL coaching at AU.

wde

Are there any threads on this entire forum where you don't take shots at RG? Getting really old that every time I read a post, I know it was you that posted before I even look at the name. Cmon man....let it go for heavens sake

I think auh1h1h is actually the girl RG dumped to marry his wife. It's the only explanation that works.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AU player's performance numbers...speed, strength, etc. are average at best...might explain some of the team results this past season. Good athletes no doubt but not elite.

I was wondering how long it'd take for this to get brought up. More of an indictment of the players or the s&c program?

How the hell did Angelo Blackson get the LOWEST number of reps on the bench of all Dlineman???? I've never been one to call for a S&C coach's head because I'm kind of confused how Yoxall could have had his "authority taken away" under Chiz so I don't understand fully what the dynamic between players and the S&C coach is, but that certainly isn't a good look for the S&C program.

I find it hard to believe that Blackson just started loafing after the season in preparation for the combine, though.

AU player's performance numbers...speed, strength, etc. are average at best...might explain some of the team results this past season. Good athletes no doubt but not elite.

I was wondering how long it'd take for this to get brought up. More of an indictment of the players or the s&c program?

Who knows...starts back when they were recruited perhaps. Some of these attributes are just genetic. Coaches can enhance their capabilities but JMO, it depends on what they have to work with.

Check the patterns of how other players did .....does not always reflect on the schools or the coaches they trained under.

How the hell did Angelo Blackson get the LOWEST number of reps on the bench of all Dlineman???? I've never been one to call for a S&C coach's head because I'm kind of confused how Yoxall could have had his "authority taken away" under Chiz so I don't understand fully what the dynamic between players and the S&C coach is, but that certainly isn't a good look for the S&C program.

I find it hard to believe that Blackson just started loafing after the season in preparation for the combine, though.

Gabe Wright had the 2nd most. Coates was most for his position. Some guys just don't stand out on the Bench Press.

probably a reach for him to get an invite anyway.

Really? Thats because we have very few top prospects in this draft. Coates tested off the charts, CAP ran a lot faster than anyone would have predicted, and Blackson ran very fast at nearly 320 pounds. I don't see the story you're trying to paint. Dismukes tested poorly, but he's never been touted as an "athlete".

Bama had an OL that only put up 17 reps on the bench. Good thing their S&C program has gone to the pits like ours. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

DJ Fluker did 21 reps at 339 pounds. The Bench Press in general is overrated. It can show you who puts in a lot of work in the weight room and who doesn't, but there are always going to be guys who are capped in terms of how well they do in that lift. As it pertains to actually playing football, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

DJ Fluker did 21 reps at 339 pounds. The Bench Press in general is overrated. It can show you who puts in a lot of work in the weight room and who doesn't, but there are always going to be guys who are capped in terms of how well they do in that lift. As it pertains to actually playing football, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Totally agree on the importance of the bench numbers. I do wonder why its used in the combine though. I mean, they don't measure leg press or squats or dead lift for example. Maybe it's a potential injury/logistical thing or something.

It is absolutely an injury thing. The rest of the workouts (running, jumping, etc) are all leg based; so you wouldn't want the players fatiguing their legs and then trying to run as fast as they can the next morning. Not only would it increase the risk of injury, but you wouldn't get a fully accurate representation either in the other (more important) tests.

It is absolutely an injury thing. The rest of the workouts (running, jumping, etc) are all leg based; so you wouldn't want the players fatiguing their legs and then trying to run as fast as they can the next morning. Not only would it increase the risk of injury, but you wouldn't get a fully accurate representation either in the other (more important) tests.

Keep in mind that for the most part, the guys at the combines are not necessarily the top players as far draft potential...seems that other than Sammie, the AU guys are there trying to put up good numbers in hopes they can influence their position in the draft. As for the validity of the "tests" I have to believe that somewhere along the line the NFL talent judges found these events to be useful.

And as for Reece not being thought of as an "athlete"? that could be true, yet he started 4 years at AU without even a serious challenge...which tells us something about the rest of the team...?? I'm hoping he makes it to the NFL but seems I recall some commentary about him getting pushed around in Senior Bowl. Maybe bench press does mean something with linemen...lots of hand to hand combat there.

While I want any AU football player to eventually become All Pro and and NFL Hall of Famer after they leave AU..... What is most important to me (as an AU Grad) is what they demonstrate on the field while at AU along with actually becoming a student as well.

wde

Artis-Payne's performance at the combine has moved him up in the draft I believe. I don't think people thought he would test as well as he did. It validates his production on the field.

Artis-Payne's performance at the combine has moved him up in the draft I believe. I don't think people thought he would test as well as he did. It validates his production on the field.

I expect him to be drafted to the Bills...

Just my opinion, but I think Sammie Coates' 40 time is going to hurt him in the draft, unless he shows much better at Auburn's Pro Day. He really did not stand out as being exceptional at the combine. Based on combine results, I think he drops to 3rd round, maybe even 4th.

I was surprised that Dismukes did not show better at the Senior Bowl and the combine. Obviously, he played well on game day and was the leader of the Auburn line. I love the guy. But he hasn't had a breakthrough post-season.

Artis-Payne did pretty well, but there are some RBs on the board this year that are sporting the "hype halo" of media. You can't question Gurley's ability as a runner, but he has not shown that he has the durability to be an NFL back. Gordon, to me, is a stronger choice. And, well, RB is no longer a glamor position for recruiting. I think probably 4 RBs go before Artis-Payne, maybe more.

I'd sure like to see some Auburn guys go high, but I really don't think we see any Auburn player go before 3rd round, and most will slide further down than that.

JMO, YMMV.

Just my opinion, but I think Sammie Coates' 40 time is going to hurt him in the draft

It won't. He ran fast. They already have countless snaps on tape of him running past people and creating separation down field; a slightly slower than expected (but still top-end) forty time isn't going to all of a sudden send him shooting down draft boards. The Coates draw was never simply 'speed', it is the combination of size (nearly 6'2 215 pounds), speed, and strength which makes him a nightmare to cover at the line.

A freakish 4.3 forty would have maybe thrown him into the end of the first round; he now probably lands somewhere in the 2nd which is where he was expected to go anyway.

Sammie is a 2nd rounder with huge upside. Lot the Browns I think. Everyone knows what Dismukes can do, there are countless tapes. I'll guess 2nd to 3rd for RD, probably to the Broncos. Wright to the Vikings in the 6th. CAP to the Bills in the 4th. JMHO.

CAP to the Phins please

Ronnie Brown says no!

Brown was actually really good for the Phins. When Trent green threw that pick where R. brown tore his knee up making a tackle is when his career suffered or at least as a phin. Before that play he was leading the league in rushing and receiving for a RB.

CAP to the Phins please

Ronnie Brown says no!

Brown was actually really good for the Phins. When Trent green threw that pick where R. brown tore his knee up making a tackle is when his career suffered or at least as a phin. Before that play he was leading the league in rushing and receiving for a RB.

yeah I know my point is he wasted his fresh legs on a garbage team. Miami was average at best with their one decent year being the same year the wildcat formation became popular. I believe they beat the Patriots both times that year.

CAP to the Phins please

Ronnie Brown says no!

yeah I know my point is he wasted his fresh legs on a garbage team. Miami was average at best with their one decent year being the same year the wildcat formation became popular. I believe they beat the Patriots both times that year.

Yes they did, with the wildcat. Amazing new offense wrinkle conceived in college football. It didnt take the NFL long to kill that one though. I actually thought Saban was turning around Miami's team. I was hoping he would have stayed on and not gone to bama. Now, looking back, I really, really wish he would have kept coaching Miami.

Archived