Bake for them two...

DKW 86

http://tenthousandplaces.org/2015/04/01/bake-for-them-two/

One of the Roman laws stated that any man could be required to drop what he was doing and carry a Roman soldier’s equipment for him for up to a mile. In the sermon on the mount, with his followers gathered around him, Jesus referenced that law and told his followers what they should do in that case:

“If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles.” ~Matthew 5:41

Go with them two miles. That was not the advice that most of the people in the crowd that day had been hoping for. That was not the conclusion that they would have come to on their own, following this man that they hoped would lead them to victory over the Romans. That was certainly not respecting their religious beliefs — go with them two! What if their neighbors saw! What if seeing them carrying the Roman’s equipment caused other Jews to think the Roman oppression was okay? What if there was other work that needed to be done — good work, charity work even, but they spent all that time carrying equipment for the evil oppressor? But Jesus is not worried about any of that:

“If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also,” he said. “And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Christians, our Jesus said, “Go with them two.”

Awesome stuff brother. People just don't realize how they are pushing others away from Jesus when they take these hard line stances.

Awesome stuff brother. People just don't realize how they are pushing others away from Jesus when they take these hard line stances.

I will take that in a quiet way and celebrate the idea that at least one other person got it.

Be blessed.

Oh yeah, that is exactly what Jesus meant. Seems that most Christians today are obsessed with being "right" and categorizing sin, that the true heart of Jesus gets lost in a flurry of condemnation toward "sinners".

So we never take a stand against wrong or we risk running people away. Got it.

Christ's admonition was to get us to be able to talk, love on, develop a relationship with others.

Jesus ate with the publicans and whores, i dont remember Him having any trouble being able to talk with them about their future plans.

Odd, I was sure I had posted in this thread.

A post from Cooltigger vanished too.

What's up wit dat ?

Christ's admonition was to get us to be able to talk, love on, develop a relationship with others.

Jesus ate with the publicans and whores, i dont remember Him having any trouble being able to talk with them about their future plans.

CT, I am a follower of Christ and I struggle everyday with lust. A Christian that struggles with lust. Am I just as "wrong" as a homosexual? Do you equate my struggle on equal footing as a homosexual?

Odd, I was sure I had posted in this thread.

A post from Cooltigger vanished too.

What's up wit dat ?

I don't see any post of yours that was removed, Raptor.

I did find one from cooltigger....he deleted it himself.

It's an interesting take, and a wonderful attitude. But it does seem to work better with regard to things that are morally neutral in and of themselves but are personally insulting or merely something that's inconvenient or menial in nature.

There's nothing in that passage that really addresses what a Christian should do when asked to do something that's morally wrong or that could give the impression of tacit approval of moral wrong. I'm sure if I could probably come up with, on a case by case basis, some situations where people who find themselves in the tension of deciding to what degree they can be 'involved' with an activity they believe is wrong. I'm not saying that it's a moral imperative that every Christian MUST turn down the business. But I think some freedom of discretion and conscience is needed. People shouldn't be dragooned into violating their beliefs against their will, nor drummed out of the public square if they can't. Nor should they made to feel like they are somehow being unloving if there is some line at some point on the matter they cannot cross.

It's an interesting take, and a wonderful attitude. But it does seem to work better with regard to things that are morally neutral in and of themselves but are personally insulting or merely something that's inconvenient or menial in nature.

There's nothing in that passage that really addresses what a Christian should do when asked to do something that's morally wrong or that could give the impression of tacit approval of moral wrong. I'm sure if I could probably come up with, on a case by case basis, some situations where people who find themselves in the tension of deciding to what degree they can be 'involved' with an activity they believe is wrong. I'm not saying that it's a moral imperative that every Christian MUST turn down the business. But I think some freedom of discretion and conscience is needed. People shouldn't be dragooned into violating their beliefs against their will, nor drummed out of the public square if they can't. Nor should they made to feel like they are somehow being unloving if there is some line at some point on the matter they cannot cross.

I think the gays that got upset over the wedding cake/photography refusal allowed their egos and narcissism the power to capitalize on principle in an unhelpful and negative way.

I think the Christians that refused to provide those services allowed their egos and narcissism the power to capitalize on religious dogma in an unhelpful and negative way.

This is not meant as rebuttal to Titan's post at all. I quoted him because his post made me think of this.

Archived