Cameron Toney A-Day Breakdown

StatTiger

Cam Toney stood out to me, glad to see others take notice. Made few mistakes, plays with incredible leverage, uses his strong base and gets full extension with his arms. I thought he played the Buck really well, both with hands in the dirt and standing up. At about 7' into Q1 we went to 3DL and he had curl-to-flat responsibility in Cover3, he was a bit late getting to the flat but covered another important responsibility when he funneled the first deep threat that crossed his face (#2 on a post/seam) inside towards the MOF (middle of field) safety before covering the flat route by #1... Its a small detail but very important that he routes him towards the single high safety.

As an example of what kind of leverage this kid gets, go to the 3:50 mark in Q1 and see what he does to Avery on 3rd and 3, then again at 2:47 does a great job fighting off a block on a Counter Play to the boundary and tackles Jovon. The kid has big time upside, pretty important that we find lots of options, Cowart isn't a sure thing as a freshman, Carl Lawson was an outlier.

Post more often, please! :thumbsup:

Cam Toney stood out to me, glad to see others take notice. Made few mistakes, plays with incredible leverage, uses his strong base and gets full extension with his arms. I thought he played the Buck really well, both with hands in the dirt and standing up. At about 7' into Q1 we went to 3DL and he had curl-to-flat responsibility in Cover3, he was a bit late getting to the flat but covered another important responsibility when he funneled the first deep threat that crossed his face (#2 on a post/seam) inside towards the MOF (middle of field) safety before covering the flat route by #1... Its a small detail but very important that he routes him towards the single high safety.

As an example of what kind of leverage this kid gets, go to the 3:50 mark in Q1 and see what he does to Avery on 3rd and 3, then again at 2:47 does a great job fighting off a block on a Counter Play to the boundary and tackles Jovon. The kid has big time upside, pretty important that we find lots of options, Cowart isn't a sure thing as a freshman, Carl Lawson was an outlier.

Good analysis, I'm going to rewatch at those times.

It didn't matter if Johnson was in the press box or not, he just couldn't coach against today's offenses. And to think me, and a few others were slammed for speaking on it. I'm so glad Gus saw it as well, so now that problem has been fixed and I'm looking forward to finally having a decent defense again

Okay, +1 internet credits for we-6. I don't know what Gus would've done if he hadn't obviously read one of your posts, and thus been able to rescue AU Football from certain long-term despair... :poke:

Post more often, please! :thumbsup:/>

Thanks, I'll try to do that, haven't posted much BC its such a huge congregation here, I'm mostly interested in the football and not so much in bickering with other AU fans.

Good analysis, I'm going to rewatch at those times.

Gratzi, I was wrong on the play at 2:47, it was blocked as inside zone but jovon bounced it outside, play by Toney remains AUsome either way.

I noticed something I really like schematically. Anytime the O ran a stacked formation with the wrs our dbs ran a check and the cb switched coverage and run force responsibilities by dropping deep while the the Safety came up tight to the LOS, the Safety always kept outside leverage on the wr nearest to the LOS (potential blocker on a bubble), forcing the bubble receiver back inside towards help. Saw this be very effective with boh Tray and Rudy (Q2 @ 9:57). This team will be better prepared to help the team win games. It'll be rough at times but more sound as a whole.

Watching some more Spring game, another great play by Toney at Q2, 8:41 on the clock. We run Buck Sweep to boundary and Cam fights his way to the ball carrier, fights through Cox' block. He uses great leverage and arm extension once again. If he doesn't make that play Roc gets far more yardage, as Duke cracks the backer and Leff kicks out cb.

Stats don't lie, but neither does the eye. I'm trusting my eyes on this one.

If the eye didn't lie then magicians would not exist .... just sayin

Magicians, witches and wizards been in existence well before Moses walked the earth..... The eye doesn't lie, just sayin

Which is the darker colored square, A or B?

Grey_square_optical_illusion.PNG

It's A. No trick here (other than to get people thinking there should be a trick). If you block out all other parts of the picture leaving only the A and B squares, A is still darker though all other influences have been removed. Maybe it looks different in the original?

Archived