2017 4* QB/ATH Chadarius Townsend (Alabama commit)

alexava

Sounds to me uat got to his Dad.

I hope he doesn't think he will be given a legit chance to play QB at Bammer. I'm afraid he will be sent directly to the DB group the moment he steps on campus.

This.

his dad is a good man. Saban is a good salesman. I can't wait for season. Auburn/college of cours but Friday watching these Tanner Rattlers too. It would be nice knowing this kids was on board with both.

You a Limestone County guy? I'm in Athens.

Yup, me too.

Hey I'm from Athens too

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds to me uat got to his Dad.

I hope he doesn't think he will be given a legit chance to play QB at Bammer. I'm afraid he will be sent directly to the DB group the moment he steps on campus.

This.

his dad is a good man. Saban is a good salesman. I can't wait for season. Auburn/college of cours but Friday watching these Tanner Rattlers too. It would be nice knowing this kids was on board with both.

You a Limestone County guy? I'm in Athens.

Yup, me too.

Hey I'm from Athens too

Get a room!!!! jk.

Sounds like the kid who is GT qb

Sounds like the kid who is GT qb

sure does. Justin Thomas made a great choice to make the switch to GT. They love him here in ATL

Coaches will tell a kid whatever they want histogram to him to sign, and Alabama is one of the best at ding this. We recruited ATH Jauan Jennings last year, but he committed to Tennessee because they were recruiting him at QB. I just read an article earlier this week that he's already starting fall practice as a WR.

Coaches will tell a kid whatever they want histogram to him to sign, and Alabama is one of the best at ding this. We recruited ATH Jauan Jennings last year, but he committed to Tennessee because they were recruiting him at QB. I just read an article earlier this week that he's already starting fall practice as a WR.

Not all coaches will do this. AU is VERY upfront with the kids they are recruiting about where they will play.

And don't forget he got arrested over the summer...his (Juan) temperament reminds me of his dad...

• 2 weeks later...

My mom talked to Chad's dad recently. She asked why not Auburn. He said Bama recruited him harder, treated him better and obviously wanted him more. Said when they visited they met them at the car, all the coaches knew who he was and were all interested in talking to him. Auburn didn't show much interest until bammer offered and still didn't show near as much as bammer. He is 100% bama now. Sold his auburn clothes in a yard sale. Sounds like it is a race to see who can flatter a high school JR to be the fastest. Still look fwd to watching him of friday nights, but hate to know auburn got out recruited that bad on a kid that was all auburn before this process.

My mom talked to Chad's dad recently. She asked why not Auburn. He said Bama recruited him harder, treated him better and obviously wanted him more. Said when they visited they met them at the car, all the coaches knew who he was and were all interested in talking to him. Auburn didn't show much interest until bammer offered and still didn't show near as much as bammer. He is 100% bama now. Sold his auburn clothes in a yard sale. Sounds like it is a race to see who can flatter a high school JR to be the fastest. Still look fwd to watching him of friday nights, but hate to know auburn got out recruited that bad on a kid that was all auburn before this process.

So if he sold stuff the university gave him, does that fall into the same category as OSU players that sold rings? just kidding, maybe :Sing:

He might have been all Auburn, but that doesn't mean he was a guy we really needed. Doesn't sound to me like we got out-recruited at all. Our staff goes pretty hard after the guys they really want. Clearly wasn't the case here.

He might have been all Auburn, but that doesn't mean he was a guy we really needed. Doesn't sound to me like we got out-recruited at all. Our staff goes pretty hard after the guys they really want. Clearly wasn't the case here.

Exactly. Sounds like our staff didn't want him all that bad. No harm, no foul there.

Auburn obviously was higher on Narcisse. Our staff might take another DT/athlete type player in the '17 class but LT is the face of the class. Our coaches would be upfront with Townsend or whoever that he might be given a shot at QB but most likely move to DB.

Auburn obviously was higher on Narcisse. Our staff might take another DT/athlete type player in the '17 class but LT is the face of the class. Our coaches would be upfront with Townsend or whoever that he might be given a shot at QB but most likely move to DB.

i am sure he is told he will play defense for turds

if they didn't want him they would not have offered. They were late getting started and impressing him.

So if he sold stuff the university gave him, does that fall into the same category as OSU players that sold rings? just kidding, maybe :Sing:/>

probably all his stuff he had before his recruitment.

if they didn't want him they would not have offered. They were late getting started and impressing him.

Um, you said yourself that Auburn didn't show much interest. And are you sure it was a commitable offer?

Um, you said yourself that Auburn didn't show much interest. And are you sure it was a commitable offer?

not 100% sure. Didn't show him much interest until he got the bama offer . then didn't work him like bama did. I think he wanted them to impress him like bama did and he gave them time but it didn't happen. How bad auburn wants him,i have no idea. Maybe they are glad he committed elsewhere?

I don't know that it is an AU tactic to chase after bama commits just to confuse the kid. Just saying, AU might make an offer just to keep their name in with the player and the HS coach but I don't think they chase kids they are not truly interested in having play at AU. There is a big difference between an offer.....and being seriously recruited.

Bama is known to put the full court press on kids who are Plan B candidates in case the Plan A guy does not commit....and in the process, the also try convince the kid to go anywhere but AU. They have courted some pretty good players right to the end... and then left them at the altar.

Can we move this to Rivals Recruiting as he has committed to bama

Totally agree. tired of seeing this.

I beg to differ on one thing. If AU didn't go hard after a certain player, it doesn't necessarily mean the coaches believed he was not a good player. It COULD mean that we only have 20- something scollys and already have someone at this particular position that we like, and the depth there is good. Just a thought.

I beg to differ on one thing. If AU didn't go hard after a certain player, it doesn't necessarily mean the coaches believed he was not a good player. It COULD mean that we only have 20- something scollys and already have someone at this particular position that we like, and the depth there is good. Just a thought.

Totally agree with this, and it was certainly not my intent to suggest that Townsend isn't a really good football player. Sounds like a good kid from a good family, too.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/08/a-list_no_12_tanners_chadarius.html

Alabama commitment and Tanner senior quarterback Chadarius Townsend values his reputation.

Not just as a standout athlete, but as an upstanding citizen off the field. As evidence, consider how he describes his social life.

"I don't like parties," he said.

That's a relief for his father, Dale, a Limestone County Sheriff's Deputy who admits he's relieved that his son shuns the nightlife. The father-son duo explains it's just Chadarius' personality.

"He doesn't really do anything but go to school," Dale Townsend said. "This is what takes a lot of stress from me. He goes to school and he goes home. Even at age 17, he calls me and says, 'Dad, do you mind if I go up town and go to Wal-Mart?'

"I mean," the father continued, "with all the things that's going on in the world, he's like one of those kids that will go to school, come home; he'll go to church, come home. Somebody will ask him to go somewhere, and he won't go. He just stays home. He doesn't go out."

Humble. Quiet. Polite. That's how others describe Chadarius.

On the football field, though, he speaks loud and clear. He checks in at No. 12 on the 2016 A-List, AL.com's ranking of the state's top 15 senior football prospects.

As a junior, he rushed for more than 1,300 yards and 20 touchdowns and added another 1,001 yards and 15 touchdowns passing. He threw only two interceptions as the Rattlers finished 11-1 and averaged 57.4 points per game.

"Chadarius, he's definitely one our hardest workers, if not the hardest worker," Tanner coach Laron White said. "That's really been one of the reasons for our success. Most of our best players have also been our hardest workers."

Picking a sport

Chadarius plans to graduate from Tanner in December and enroll at Alabama in January, allowing him to participate in spring practice. Before then, however, he wants Tanner to win its first state championship since 2013.

Dale Townsend, also a Tanner grad, didn't play high school football and instead fell in love with boxing. As Chadarius grew up, he often accompanied his dad to the boxing gym in Decatur and worked out.

His father – still a big boxing fan who took his son to the recent heavyweight championship fight in Birmingham – didn't want Chadarius entering the ring.

"I knew he was fast," the father said of allowing Chadarius to play youth football. "I wanted him to do some sport, and I definitely didn't want him in boxing. ... I wouldn't be able to sit there and watch him mix it up like that and knowing the possibilities, people getting hurt and things like that. I don't think I could take that."

Meet A-List No. 13: Spanish Fort's Justin Thomas

Alabama legacy Justin Thomas lacked concentration while playing youth sports but has developed into one of the state's top senior recruits

Football has worked. Townsend earned playing time at Tanner as an eighth-grader and quickly blossomed into a star.

He committed to Alabama in July 2015, before his junior year of high school. Dale admits he didn't know much about college football recruiting when schools began contacting his son. He leaned on White for early guidance, but the coach now says the Townsends "have it down to a science."

Chadarius laughs about a visit to Alabama in which his dad referred to Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin as "Coach Lashley" in a face-to-face conversation, mistaking him for Auburn offensive coordinator Rhett Lashley.

"He started turning red," Dale said. "I took a picture and thought, 'Why is he turning red?'"

Looking ahead

Chadarius has been compared to current Alabama receiver ArDarius Stewart, another small-school quarterback who changed positions in college.

"In three years, there's no telling what kind of player he can be," White said.

Whether that's at cornerback or receiver, Dale Townsend expects his son to maintain his sterling reputation.

"Being in the spotlight, you should conduct yourself in a way that whenever you come around, you're approachable," Dale Townsend said. "The kids are watching. Not only kids, but also adults. Basically, know how act." 

Archived