Elijah Daniel arrested; dismissed from team

alexava

I keep hoping for one offseason with no off field incidents. There's always next year, I suppose.

At least we're way behind in the Fulmer Cup. Or ahead? Not sure how that works.

It is there and people love to bring it up so here ya go. :dead:

3 felonies at 3 points per

5 misdemeanors at 1 point per

You can bet some bonus points because it is Auburn (mainly SEC but being Auburn does not help in this silly cup thing).

:bs:

That would give us a total of 15 to 17 points. :shoot:

You can bet your paycheck we will be at #1 in the standings and it will be plastered all over social media and the internet as soon as the turds get a title loan to get their internet back on.

According to /u/Honestly_ (one of the guys who runs the Fulmer Cup), this is the breakdown:

• 3 points per felony x 6 felonies = 18 points
  • 1 point per misdemeanor x 2 misdemeanor = 2 points
  • Crime Spree Bonus = 1 point

Total: 21 points

EDIT: Also found the official Google doc, but it has not yet been updated. Previously, we were in a tie for 22nd, with every other school who didn't have any points. Assuming that the only thing that hasn't yet been put in is Elijah's arrest, we would catapult into 1st place and have a 7 point lead on Temple University. We would also be 11 points ahead of Alabama in conference play.

Technically we aren't in first place since the "Ellis T. Jones III Rule" states that no program that accumulates points based solely on the misdeeds of a single player is eligible for the Fulmer Cup. Now Daniel would be the front runner for the Ellis T. Jones III Award which is given out to the player that single handily accumulates the most points for his school. As a side note this award has gone to a Bama player twice with DJ Pettway getting it in 2013 and Jimmy John getting it in 2008.

This would come into play, but unfortunately a walk on was arrested on the same charges as Elijah. Therefore, they both get 22 points, negating the Ellis T. Jones III Rule, and catapulting us into 1st. By a mile.

My understanding was he was taken off the roaster after spring practice so he wouldn't have been on the team at the time of the arrest so still just one player with points.

Exactly. He was taken off of the roster after spring practice (April 19th), but the crimes occurred over spring break in March. Because he was on the team when the crimes were committed, the points count.

Either way is of no concern to me. There is no real Fulmer Cup but the bad press is real. The only thing the Fulmer Cup is good for is to bring to light the problems that come with college athletics and I welcome it.

I can only laugh when trying to use "rules" and Fulmer Cup in the same sentence. The Ellis T Jones rule can be removed just as fast as it was imagined up. Just for the sake of entertainment lets just say the ETJ rule is honored (by the not so honorable committee of so called "members"). All that would mean is that we are not eligible to receive the dubious honor of being awarded the imaginary Fulmer CUP. Auburn would still be listed as #1 in their rankings which is more than enough for some blogger to blog about.

I do like that the Fulmer Cup brings to light programs that have a few problems which is exactly why I can't stand seeing Auburn at #1, or even in the conversation!!!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. He was taken off of the roster after spring practice (April 19th), but the crimes occurred over spring break in March. Because he was on the team when the crimes were committed, the points count.

Either way is of no concern to me. There is no real Fulmer Cup but the bad press is real. The only thing the Fulmer Cup is good for is to bring to light the problems that come with college athletics and I welcome it.

I can only laugh when trying to use "rules" and Fulmer Cup in the same sentence. The Ellis T Jones rule can be removed just as fast as it was imagined up. Just for the sake of entertainment lets just say the ETJ rule is honored (by the not so honorable committee of so called "members"). All that would mean is that we are not eligible to receive the dubious honor of being awarded the imaginary Fulmer CUP. Auburn would still be listed as #1 in their rankings which is more than enough for some blogger to blog about.

I do like that the Fulmer Cup brings to light programs that have a few problems which is exactly why I can't stand seeing Auburn at #1, or even in the conversation!!!

I agree it's all about the bad press.

One slight correction, the rule you are referring to does indeed exist, but it is not called the ETJIII rule. You're thinking of the ETJIII Award, which is defined below:

The Ellis T. Jones III Award: Given to the individual player who contributes the most points to his team during the season, OR has the most incredible incident that resulted in Fulmer Cup points. Named after Ellis T. Jones III, the greatest collegiate criminal ever.

The rule is creatively called the One Player Rule, and is defined below:

One Player Rule: A team cannot win Cup based on the actions of a single player or coach, at least two players or coaches committing crimes are required. However, exceptional solo achievements do qualify for our individual achievement awards (see below).

These can all be found on the rules page of the Fulmer Cup Subreddit.

It's always sad to me that as soon as an Alabama player gets arrested, one of our players has to go out and do something STUPID as well. And it's never the walk-ons or 3rd teamers. It's a guy that we are counting on at one of our weakest positions from last year. Amazing.

I am tired of people making excuses for these kids. I came from a good home but we didn't have a lot of money. I worked 40 hours or more a week if my parents had a little money they helped. I lived in places without air conditioning and kept the heater at 50 during the winter. I worked at the Omelet Shop as a cook from 9PM to 7AM 6 days a week. I never thought about stealing. I feel sorry for any young man who makes a mistake and I hope he learns from this and in the future becomes a beacon to society. But he has no excuses but his own poor choices,

We may also end up having the dubious "honor" of being the first ever repeat winner of this wonderful Fullmer award. Make no mistake, it's the kind of thing that does damage to the brand and is used by our rivals. I don't care what anybody says, that damages the efforts of hundreds of very good AU people who work tirelessly for Auburn and is a severe setback to all their efforts over the last 2 years.

That is something which the people who would commit these acts and do this damage, couldn't care less about. So those who would be supportive of this guy now, including some of his teammates, need to first think about all those other AU people and the damage he has done to them.

It is hard on these young men to deal with so much especially coming from some of their backgrounds. They are asked to shoulder a dramatic amount. Work hard over 12 hours per day for no paycheck. They get a free education some would argue. You can get the same education for "$6 and late fines at the local library". Albeit without the diploma. You only need a diploma if you are planning to work for someone else or if it is a requirement of your chosen profession. If universities are going to ask players to work like this then the universites need to find a way compensate them so they don't need to break the law to take a girl on a date. Take a look at the amount of money these kids will get if they sell the stolen items, it isn't much. Lunch money for many that are on this board.

Two guys vying fo a girl's attention. One is a scholarship athlete and the other works while going to school on an academic scholarship. Which can better afford to spend money while out with his date?

C'mon man!! The system isn't responsible for this bone-head mistake. While I agree they do need some kind of remuneration, these young guys need to use their brains and not make stupid judgement errors.

We may also end up having the dubious "honor" of being the first ever repeat winner of this wonderful Fullmer award. Make no mistake, it's the kind of thing that does damage to the brand and is used by our rivals. I don't care what anybody says, that damages the efforts of hundreds of very good AU people who work tirelessly for Auburn and is a severe setback to all their efforts over the last 2 years.

That is something which the people who would commit these acts and do this damage, couldn't care less about. So those who would be supportive of this guy now, including some of his teammates, need to first think about all those other AU people and the damage he has done to them.

I agree to an extent about the fans. It's understandable for us to focus on the fact that such incidents will damage the team in multiple ways. (I do still wish we paid more attention to positives, though.)

I think it's a little different with teammates. Yes, they need to hold each other accountable for their behavior off the field and how they perform on the field. But it's also the case that they have to have each others' backs on and off the field. I'm not suggesting that anyone ignore what happened or excuse it. But maybe Carl and Elijah are friends, as well as teammates. It wouldn't surprise me if Carl and his other teammates feels betrayed; but I wouldn't say that the first thing they need to have in their mind is that feeling of betrayal. As I said before, I would want someone like Carl as a teammate (and I'll add now, as a friend).

Guys like Daniels are a reflection of a segment of society with little to no moral compass, no core Christian values and little if any accountability for there actions for the first 18 years of their life. We are not going to stop this. It is systemic and wide spread. It will happen again. Sad to say, but it is what it is. I see it getting worse not better.

Guys like Daniels are a reflection of a segment of society with little to no moral compass, no core Christian values and little if any accountability for there actions for the first 18 years of their life. We are not going to stop this. It is systemic and wide spread. It will happen again. Sad to say, but it is what it is. I see it getting worse not better.

What do Christian values, or lack thereof, have to do with what he did? Assuming he doesn't have the IQ of a potato, he knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal. He doesn't need a book of faith to tell him the difference between right and wrong.

What do Christian values, or lack thereof, have to do with what he did? Assuming he doesn't have the IQ of a potato, he knew what he was doing was wrong and illegal. He doesn't need a book of faith to tell him the difference between right and wrong.

You are making an assumption when you ask your question in my opinion.

Lots of young people know what things are illegal, but quite a few of them apparently don't think it is wrong to steal someone else's property.

Been watching kids loot and burn Baltimore for several days and I expect there is not a single one of them who thinks it was legal to do so clean out the liquor stores or CVS.....but hundreds of them apparently did not have the moral compass or teaching to also know that it was wrong...and to stay home.

Call them Christian values or whatever, but people are not born knowing a society's social standards and values....someone has to teach them and for the most part the Bible has been a pretty good place to learn those values.

Just generalizing, and not talking specifically about Mr Daniels but we have seen too many instances about football players who just can't seem to take control of their lives and live within the rules of society....or even their coaches. By and large, a person who knows something is illegal....and also knows an action is "wrong".....and yet does that act once, twice or more than twice is what is often considered a sociopath.

Sociopath Traits

Various hallmark sociopath traits are listed below. It is important to note that not all traits will be present in all the "sociopaths".

According to ICD-10 criteria, presence of 3 or more of the following qualifies for the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (~sociopathy):

1. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.
  2. Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, and obligations.
  3. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships, though having no difficulty in establishing them.
  4. Very low tolerance to frustration, a low threshold for discharge of aggression, including violence.
  5. Incapacity to experience guilt or to profit from experience, particularly punishment.
  6. Markedly prone to blame others or to offer plausible rationalization for the behavior that has brought the person into conflict with society

http://www.md-health.com/Sociopath-Traits.html

There seems to be an increasing number of people in society these days who exhibit a number of those traits.

"We may also end up having the dubious "honor" of being the first ever repeat winner of this wonderful Fullmer award."

If the Tallahassee police would actually arrest the football players who commit crimes, I think FSU would have a dynasty of Fullmer award wins

You are making an assumption when you ask your question in my opinion.

Lots of young people know what things are illegal, but quite a few of them apparently don't think it is wrong to steal someone else's property.

Been watching kids loot and burn Baltimore for several days and I expect there is not a single one of them who thinks it was legal to do so clean out the liquor stores or CVS.....but hundreds of them apparently did not have the moral compass or teaching to also know that it was wrong...and to stay home.

Call them Christian values or whatever, but people are not born knowing a society's social standards and values....someone has to teach them and for the most part the Bible has been a pretty good place to learn those values.

Just generalizing, and not talking specifically about Mr Daniels but we have seen too many instances about football players who just can't seem to take control of their lives and live within the rules of society....or even their coaches. By and large, a person who knows something is illegal....and also knows an action is "wrong".....and yet does that act once, twice or more than twice is what is often considered a sociopath.

Sociopath Traits

Various hallmark sociopath traits are listed below. It is important to note that not all traits will be present in all the "sociopaths".

According to ICD-10 criteria, presence of 3 or more of the following qualifies for the diagnosis of antisocial personality disorder (~sociopathy):

1. Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.
  2. Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, and obligations.
  3. Incapacity to maintain enduring relationships, though having no difficulty in establishing them.
  4. Very low tolerance to frustration, a low threshold for discharge of aggression, including violence.
  5. Incapacity to experience guilt or to profit from experience, particularly punishment.
  6. Markedly prone to blame others or to offer plausible rationalization for the behavior that has brought the person into conflict with society

http://www.md-health...ath-Traits.html

There seems to be an increasing number of people in society these days who exhibit a number of those traits.

You're right, I did make an assumption. And you're correct, social standards and values must be taught. Perhaps I take that for granted. But there are an alarmingly high number of athletes that get in trouble with the law it seems. All of this like common sense to me, but at the same time I'm not somebody who has never made boneheaded decisions before.

Also I must be a sociopath because I have illegally downloaded music more than two times ;D . Just kidding, didn't mean to take away from your point.

How was Penn State's Fulmer Cup score affected when the Jerry Sandusky scandal came out?

snapback.pngIronMan70, on Today, 12:03 PM, said:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

snapback.pngAUbritt, on Today, 12:48 PM, said:

I agree to an extent about the fans. It's understandable for us to focus on the fact that such incidents will damage the team in multiple ways. (I do still wish we paid more attention to positives, though.)

I think it's a little different with teammates. Yes, they need to hold each other accountable for their behavior off the field and how they perform on the field. But it's also the case that they have to have each others' backs on and off the field. I'm not suggesting that anyone ignore what happened or excuse it. But maybe Carl and Elijah are friends, as well as teammates. It wouldn't surprise me if Carl and his other teammates feels betrayed; but I wouldn't say that the first thing they need to have in their mind is that feeling of betrayal. As I said before, I would want someone like Carl as a teammate (and I'll add now, as a friend).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say it is the natural tendency for teammates to have each other's back. With an offense like this it is also a given that many players will in fact feel betrayed, because they were. That is another factor that is part of his actions, the effect it has on team dynamics. It is something that is going to have to be dealt with now.

So I am saying that before a teammate (or others) want to rush to be so supportive of him, even if they are a friend, they need to first think of the larger view and the degree to which his actions caused harm to others. That is significant in degree and numbers.

You're right, I did make an assumption. And you're correct, social standards and values must be taught. Perhaps I take that for granted. But there are an alarmingly high number of athletes that get in trouble with the law it seems. All of this like common sense to me, but at the same time I'm not somebody who has never made boneheaded decisions before.

Also I must be a sociopath because I have illegally downloaded music more than two times ;D . Just kidding, didn't mean to take away from your point.

I understand Tiger...for I must confess to having Xeroxed "copyrighted material" and distributed same to others...without getting prior approval....so I know what you mean.

Apparently though, sociopaths make good football players......because seems the NFL is full of them. That former Patriot TE, Aaron Hernandez has to be worthy of a full PhD dissertation.... starting from childhood through his days at UF and to his current incarceration. That's a guy who had every possible opportunity to get his life on track and apparently never took a single one of them.

Unless something good comes up from the blue, it looks like Elijah can kiss the rest of his playing days at Auburn goodbye. That's very sad for him and for us.

AU64, you're focusing on a narrow set of examples. In the spring, Auburn had something close to 100 guys on the roster. One of them committed a, rather serious, series of crimes. Ignoring the 99 other guys and saying "football self-selects sociopaths" is more than a bit extreme.

I'm more concerned with Elijah Daniel's life and what this will mean for him than I am about what it will mean for Auburn football. He's 21, and he's facing six felony charges with maximum sentences of 20 years. It's unlikely that he'll get the max (if not damn near impossible), but he could legitimately be looking at 5-10 with the possibility of parole. Then, he's a college dropout, nearly 30, without any work history, and an ex-con. This is much worse for him than it is for our ability to sell Auburn football to the next crop of recruits.

Mr. Daniel put himself in his current situation because of his own actions. I hate that he was so stupid.... but I'm not willing to excuse what he did because it's going to be tough on him. He chose to break the law and now he has to suffer the consequences of his behavior. The only way he can change his life is to learn from this very bad choice and the only way to learn is to feel the pain. It's a shame he wasn't taught that lesson as a child.

His life doesn't have to be ruined if he can take a good hard look at himself and decide to live differently.

The only decent thing coming out of this is the fact that people will stop saying and spelling his name wrong. Daniel.

The only decent thing coming out of this is the fact that people will stop saying and spelling his name wrong. Daniel.

Maybe people can start working on getting Jovon's name right now.

Mr. Daniels put himself in his current situation because of his own actions. I hate that he was so stupid.... but I'm not willing to excuse what he did because it's going to be tough on him. He chose to break the law and now he has to suffer the consequences of his behavior. The only way he can change his life is to learn from this very bad choice and the only way to learn is to feel the pain. It's a shame he wasn't taught that lesson as a child.

His life doesn't have to be ruined if he can take a good hard look at himself and decide to live differently.

this

Archived