Elijah Daniel arrested; dismissed from team

alexava

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

love the old self righteous indignation ploy....

which in my view is mostly about the self righteous posters who seem to have a superior moral compass and thus are able to find explanation or justification for about anything ....and the indignant (hand up here) who are severely pi***** to read again and again about athletes, who are representing the university by virtue of their scholarships, doing stupid / criminal stuff.

And I am even more indignant about folks apparently ripping off fellow students, most of whom probably thought these guys were pretty cool and lucky to be playing sports at Auburn.

from al.com "Daniel, 21, was suspended indefinitely from the football program by coach Gus Malzahn late Wednesday " Guess we should count Gus among the indignant huh? .

I don't think it was a ploy. McLoofus is not one to play games. He says what he thinks, is pretty careful about it, and admits when he's wrong. He never once found an excuse for anyone and more than once said that Daniel should pay for what he did (adding, 'if he did it'). That's not someone playing games.

But the fact that this thread has gotten so much more attention than the Deshaun Davis thread speaks volumes about us as a group. Compare the number of 'indignant' posts here to the number of 'War Eagles' in the Davis thread. As a group, we love to express our indignation at wrong-doing; but we're less likely to express our praise for right-doing. That's why I agreed with McLoofus' original post.

I don't know him personally, and I haven't spoken to him or read anything he's said about the situation; but my guess is Gus is angry, disappointed, and sad. I'll bet indignant doesn't describe what he's feeling at all. I could be completely wrong, of course.

I'll also say that I'm sympathetic to IronMan's reaction of having lost patience with behavior like this. I don't personally think that's the same as righteous indignation. I'm assuming that Gus will, in fact, kick Daniel off the team permanently if he's found guilty. That seems like a rational response to me.

:dunno:

You say "Auburn Family" so that means through the good and the bad right? I will continue to pray for my brother— carl lawson (@carllawson14)
April 30, 2015

Ain't that somethin'.

That's a teammate I'd want by my side, for sure. Displaying some leadership. Hope Carl and Deshaun rub off on everyone.

which in my view is mostly about the self righteous posters who seem to have a superior moral compass and thus are able to find explanation or justification for about anything ....and the indignant (hand up here) who are severely pi***** to read again and again about athletes, who are representing the university by virtue of their scholarships, doing stupid / criminal stuff.

And I am even more indignant about folks apparently ripping off fellow students, most of whom probably thought these guys were pretty cool and lucky to be playing sports at Auburn.

from al.com "Daniel, 21, was suspended indefinitely from the football program by coach Gus Malzahn late Wednesday " Guess we should count Gus among the indignant huh? .

I don't think it was a ploy. McLoofus is not one to play games. He says what he thinks, is pretty careful about it, and admits when he's wrong. He never once found an excuse for anyone and more than once said that Daniel should pay for what he did (adding, 'if he did it'). That's not someone playing games.

But the fact that this thread has gotten so much more attention than the Deshaun Davis thread speaks volumes about us as a group. Compare the number of 'indignant' posts here to the number of 'War Eagles' in the Davis thread. As a group, we love to express our indignation at wrong-doing; but we're less likely to express our praise for right-doing. That's why I agreed with McLoofus' original post.

I don't know him personally, and I haven't spoken to him or read anything he's said about the situation; but my guess is Gus is angry, disappointed, and sad. I'll bet indignant doesn't describe what he's feeling at all. I could be completely wrong, of course.

I'll also say that I'm sympathetic to IronMan's reaction of having lost patience with behavior like this. I don't personally think that's the same as righteous indignation. I'm assuming that Gus will, in fact, kick Daniel off the team permanently if he's found guilty. That seems like a rational response to me.

:dunno:/>

I think the reason this thread is so much longer than the Davis one is because of one poster trying to justify Daniel's actions. I think that sparked a lot of frustration and is the reason this thread has become as long as it is. I hope more than anyone that Daniel learns and grows from this and becomes a better man but if he has truly done all this it is inexcusable.

I keep hoping for one offseason with no off field incidents. There's always next year, I suppose.

At least we're way behind in the Fulmer Cup. Or ahead? Not sure how that works.

It is there and people love to bring it up so here ya go. :dead:

3 felonies at 3 points per

5 misdemeanors at 1 point per

You can bet some bonus points because it is Auburn (mainly SEC but being Auburn does not help in this silly cup thing).

:bs:

That would give us a total of 15 to 17 points. :shoot:

You can bet your paycheck we will be at #1 in the standings and it will be plastered all over social media and the internet as soon as the turds get a title loan to get their internet back on.

According to /u/Honestly_ (one of the guys who runs the Fulmer Cup), this is the breakdown:

• 3 points per felony x 6 felonies = 18 points
  • 1 point per misdemeanor x 2 misdemeanor = 2 points
  • Crime Spree Bonus = 1 point

Total: 21 points

EDIT: Also found the official Google doc, but it has not yet been updated. Previously, we were in a tie for 22nd, with every other school who didn't have any points. Assuming that the only thing that hasn't yet been put in is Elijah's arrest, we would catapult into 1st place and have a 7 point lead on Temple University. We would also be 11 points ahead of Alabama in conference play.

Technically we aren't in first place since the "Ellis T. Jones III Rule" states that no program that accumulates points based solely on the misdeeds of a single player is eligible for the Fulmer Cup. Now Daniel would be the front runner for the Ellis T. Jones III Award which is given out to the player that single handily accumulates the most points for his school. As a side note this award has gone to a Bama player twice with DJ Pettway getting it in 2013 and Jimmy John getting it in 2008.

This would come into play, but unfortunately a walk on was arrested on the same charges as Elijah. Therefore, they both get 22 points, negating the Ellis T. Jones III Rule, and catapulting us into 1st. By a mile.

My understanding was he was taken off the roaster after spring practice so he wouldn't have been on the team at the time of the arrest so still just one player with points.

Guilty. I guess agreement is boring :)

:dunno:/>

I think the reason this thread is so much longer than the Davis one is because of one poster trying to justify Daniel's actions. I think that sparked a lot of frustration and is the reason this thread has become as long as it is. I hope more than anyone that Daniel learns and grows from this and becomes a better man but if he has truly done all this it is inexcusable.

That may be part of the reason. This thread is also about nine and a half hours older. And McLoofus is also probably right that agreement is boring. But this thread has over 12,000 views, compared to less than 500 for the other. It also has about five times as many replies. I don't think that much of a difference is fully accounted for by people disagreeing with one poster.

In any case, I still wish Deshaun would get more attention and accolades for what he did than Elijah gets for misbehavior -- even if it's boring just to read 'War Eagle, Deshaun' over and over again. He deserves it! That's why I keep mentioning it in this thread (in which I wasn't originally going to post anything). Thanks to you and everyone else who've now read about what Deshaun has done.

Well, I have zero interest in reading "WDE, Deshaun!" for just 1 page much less multiple pages, and I even replied to that thread. This thread has back and forth discussion with differing opinions. Much more thought provoking.

Well, I have zero interest in reading "WDE, Deshaun!" for just 1 page much less multiple pages. This thread has back and forth discussion with differing opinions. Much more food for thought.

I replied to the Deshaun thread, FTR, and it's absolutely AWESOME that he's doing that. I haven't heard of any other college football player doing something like that.

Maybe no one wants to read it, literally. I'd just like to see it. I know it won't happen.

I just think it says something about us if what happened with Elijah sparks more thought and passion than what Deshaun did.

If all this is true, he's going to jail. Plain and simple. Maybe he will get a chance to redeem himself somewhere else. But it can't be here.

Well, I have zero interest in reading "WDE, Deshaun!" for just 1 page much less multiple pages. This thread has back and forth discussion with differing opinions. Much more food for thought.

I replied to the Deshaun thread, FTR, and it's absolutely AWESOME that he's doing that. I haven't heard of any other college football player doing something like that.

Maybe no one wants to read it, literally. I'd just like to see it. I know it won't happen.

I just think it says something about us if what happened with Elijah sparks more thought and passion than what Deshaun did.

I agree, but I think the respective reactions to each topic isn't exclusive to Auburn fans. I think it's the American public as a whole, as media generally focuses on negative because people seem to be more interested in that.

I agree, but I think the respective reactions to each topic isn't exclusive to Auburn fans. I think it's the American public as a whole, as media generally focuses on negative because people seem to be more interested in that.

I agree; but I thought we were different from the American public as a whole.

There's no question IMO that Daniel deserves all the blame (and legal repercussions) if he did it, but lol at all the "Family" members acting like the dude broke into your house. If you could bottle up self-righteous indignation and sell it, Auburn's endowment could feed and clothe every child on the planet.

Didn't you know hearing Bama fans at the water cooler talk trash is actually worse than somebody breaking into their house?

Bingo.

You don't have to like all of your family McLoofus. Just because we are not agreeing with what Daniel did or what some others say doesn't mean we do not support the AU family.

Nobody in this thread- even whoever it was that has been taking a beating for 6 or 7 pages for suggesting that there might be more to it than "Ol' 'lijer Danielson is just another no good ignoramus 5* criminal"- agrees with what he did. But there's a wide gap between disagreeing with what he did (and supporting appropriate legal punishment for it) (assuming he did it) and relishing in the opportunity to throw stones at somebody who made a mistake......

Btw, I'm not sure that what he did is sooooo different than what got Nick Marshall kicked off UGA's team, but Marshall came to us after the fact and helped us win a lot of football games, so I guess his family status will forever remain in good standing.

........Or twelve.

I'm sorry, but this is not making "A" mistake,

This is thuggery that reveals a mindset of "I deserve" so "I will take".

It is thinking of self and not respecting others.

It is Not living the Golden Rule.

​I am surprised to see this at any University,

but here; I expect a higher standard- especially from the student athlete population to whom much has been given(opportunity)

No, not really.

No, not really.

My mistake, then.

How did Daniel do during spring practices? Did anyone else get the feeling that his head hasn't been completely in the game? He started off so good at Auburn, but then became pretty inconsistent, if I am remembering correctly. Not sure. Maybe he's had some bad influences around him. I will pray for him as a person, but if he is guilty, I won't be praying for him as an Auburn football player. He doesn't need to be on the team or at Auburn if that's the case. I hope he turns some things around and can become the person he has the potential to be.

You say "Auburn Family" so that means through the good and the bad right? I will continue to pray for my brother— carl lawson (@carllawson14)
April 30, 2015

Ain't that somethin'.

Hope Carl and Deshaun rub off on everyone.

I chuckled.

Posted Today, 04:00 PM

Did I read correctly in the article posted earlier that he is accused of stealing from his teammates? If so, wow... Just wow.

Edited by Ber798297, Today, 04:01 PM.

Yes, there may be an emotional difference between stealing from your teammates and stealing from other students, but there is no moral difference. Stealing is immoral.

sad that so many of these kids are screwing up a great opportunity. I just have a hard time understanding. The world is in front of them and they are in a good situation and the stupid gene kicks in.

April 30, 2015

Ain't that somethin'.

Hope Carl and Deshaun rub off on everyone.

I chuckled.

come on man.

I keep hoping for one offseason with no off field incidents. There's always next year, I suppose.

At least we're way behind in the Fulmer Cup. Or ahead? Not sure how that works.

It is there and people love to bring it up so here ya go. :dead:

3 felonies at 3 points per

5 misdemeanors at 1 point per

You can bet some bonus points because it is Auburn (mainly SEC but being Auburn does not help in this silly cup thing).

:bs:

That would give us a total of 15 to 17 points. :shoot:

You can bet your paycheck we will be at #1 in the standings and it will be plastered all over social media and the internet as soon as the turds get a title loan to get their internet back on.

According to /u/Honestly_ (one of the guys who runs the Fulmer Cup), this is the breakdown:

• 3 points per felony x 6 felonies = 18 points
  • 1 point per misdemeanor x 2 misdemeanor = 2 points
  • Crime Spree Bonus = 1 point

Total: 21 points

EDIT: Also found the official Google doc, but it has not yet been updated. Previously, we were in a tie for 22nd, with every other school who didn't have any points. Assuming that the only thing that hasn't yet been put in is Elijah's arrest, we would catapult into 1st place and have a 7 point lead on Temple University. We would also be 11 points ahead of Alabama in conference play.

Technically we aren't in first place since the "Ellis T. Jones III Rule" states that no program that accumulates points based solely on the misdeeds of a single player is eligible for the Fulmer Cup. Now Daniel would be the front runner for the Ellis T. Jones III Award which is given out to the player that single handily accumulates the most points for his school. As a side note this award has gone to a Bama player twice with DJ Pettway getting it in 2013 and Jimmy John getting it in 2008.

This would come into play, but unfortunately a walk on was arrested on the same charges as Elijah. Therefore, they both get 22 points, negating the Ellis T. Jones III Rule, and catapulting us into 1st. By a mile.

My understanding was he was taken off the roaster after spring practice so he wouldn't have been on the team at the time of the arrest so still just one player with points.

Exactly. He was taken off of the roster after spring practice (April 19th), but the crimes occurred over spring break in March. Because he was on the team when the crimes were committed, the points count.

Archived