Elijah Daniel arrested; dismissed from team

alexava

Daniel and 2 other athletes broke into dorms over spring break. Kick him off the team.

Who were the other two athletes?

Walk on linebacker and a track & field athlete

As I've understood it, the walk on hasn't been part of the team for a while.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is hard on these young men to deal with so much especially coming from some of their backgrounds. They are asked to shoulder a dramatic amount. Work hard over 12 hours per day for no paycheck. They get a free education some would argue. You can get the same education for "$6 and late fines at the local library". Albeit without the diploma. You only need a diploma if you are planning to work for someone else or if it is a requirement of your chosen profession. If universities are going to ask players to work like this then the universites need to find a way compensate them so they don't need to break the law to take a girl on a date. Take a look at the amount of money these kids will get if they sell the stolen items, it isn't much. Lunch money for many that are on this board.

Two guys vying fo a girl's attention. One is a scholarship athlete and the other works while going to school on an academic scholarship. Which can better afford to spend money while out with his date?

This post just struck a nerve with me I don't know why. They get way more than a free education, they get unlimited food/snacks, as well as plenty of other things. Athletes now are getting WAY more than they've ever gotten and people still want to say they aren't getting enough. I've countless players out at bars, restaurants, etc. So if they can afford that they aren't too bad off right? I've seen more college kids that are a lot less fortunate than 98% of these division 1 athletes

It is hard on these young men to deal with so much especially coming from some of their backgrounds. They are asked to shoulder a dramatic amount. Work hard over 12 hours per day for no paycheck. They get a free education some would argue. You can get the same education for "$6 and late fines at the local library". Albeit without the diploma. You only need a diploma if you are planning to work for someone else or if it is a requirement of your chosen profession. If universities are going to ask players to work like this then the universites need to find a way compensate them so they don't need to break the law to take a girl on a date. Take a look at the amount of money these kids will get if they sell the stolen items, it isn't much. Lunch money for many that are on this board.

Two guys vying fo a girl's attention. One is a scholarship athlete and the other works while going to school on an academic scholarship. Which can better afford to spend money while out with his date?

Are you kidding me?

Playing college football is volunteer for one. They know what the sport demands and most do it cause they love it.

Tuition paid for (5k in state). Books paid for (avg 3-4 hundred dollars). Rooms at Sewell Hall paid for (4400 judging by other dorms). Utilities paid for. All they can eat at the wellness kitchen whenever they want (a limited plan costs 1300 a semester). Best tutors on campus for free (20 bucks plus a hour). Now they will get a extra 5800 dollars a year that they can do whatever they want with due to that "cost of living" thing the Big 5 conferences have going on to pay for outside the scholarship. Which they are in school roughly 9 months so that is 644 bucks a month.

So they get tuition, food, room, books, tutors, and $644 (tax free) to spend per month for Fall and Spring semester. Ya, they are really hurting.

I say we do away with that and start paying them like what they are. Minor league players.

Lets pay them the average of what those guys make, $35k a year or so. Take away all the scholarship benefits. Tax their earnings. Then if they want to go play college they can get pell grants and take loans to make up what their salary doesn't pay for. If all they want to do is go pro, then they can find their own facilities, locate their own coaches, and find a way to get their own exposure to the NFL.

Didn't read this post until after I posted mine. My thought to a T. Preach it

Blame society, not the individual? Your liberal professors have gotten in your head.

Really? Holy crap. What were you thinking, Elijah. Well if these charges stick, he's gone and it opens up another scholly for 2016.

Really? Holy crap. What were you thinking, Elijah. Well if these charges stick, he's gone and it opens up another scholly for 2016.

We don't need another slot for 2016. Eleven possible returners have already departed. We can sign the full 25 plus 2 carryovers with no problem.

I'm imagine his parents must be proud. Dumb Ask!

I have a feeling you won't be getting any "+1" responses to your post. I'm not sure what to say about your stance. It's not ok to steal from someone else. As others have stated, he had been given an incredible opportunity, one that most of us can only dream of having. When would his actions have crossed the line for you? If you were one of his victims would you be seeing it the same way? If he had robbed you or a friend of yours or someone you loved of something that was irreplaceable would your message be the same?

I have a feeling you won't be getting any "+1" responses to your post. I'm not sure what to say about your stance. It's not ok to steal from someone else. As others have stated, he had been given an incredible opportunity, one that most of us can only dream of having. When would his actions have crossed the line for you? If you were one of his victims would you be seeing it the same way? If he had robbed you or a friend of yours or someone you loved of something that was irreplaceable would your message be the same?

Most people who feel sympathy for folks who steal probably have never been broken into, it is a real violation, even worse if it is from someone you know that lives in your building. I have no sympathy for criminals that break in and steal, especially those that are taken out in the process of committing that act. As others have stated compared to an average student or another student on an academic scholly these D1 athletic scholarships are the holly grail. I would have loved tutoring help and food plus housing when I was attending AU. I had a similar discussion with my wife last night about having only so much a month and having to decide to put gas in my car, food in my belly, or looking at ways to cut down on cost of utilities.

I keep hoping for one offseason with no off field incidents. There's always next year, I suppose.

At least we're way behind in the Fulmer Cup. Or ahead? Not sure how that works.

It is there and people love to bring it up so here ya go. :dead:

3 felonies at 3 points per

5 misdemeanors at 1 point per

You can bet some bonus points because it is Auburn (mainly SEC but being Auburn does not help in this silly cup thing).

:bs:

That would give us a total of 15 to 17 points. :shoot:

You can bet your paycheck we will be at #1 in the standings and it will be plastered all over social media and the internet as soon as the turds get a title loan to get their internet back on.

According to /u/Honestly_ (one of the guys who runs the Fulmer Cup), this is the breakdown:

• 3 points per felony x 6 felonies = 18 points
  • 1 point per misdemeanor x 2 misdemeanor = 2 points
  • Crime Spree Bonus = 1 point

Total: 21 points

EDIT: Also found the official Google doc, but it has not yet been updated. Previously, we were in a tie for 22nd, with every other school who didn't have any points. Assuming that the only thing that hasn't yet been put in is Elijah's arrest, we would catapult into 1st place and have a 7 point lead on Temple University. We would also be 11 points ahead of Alabama in conference play.

Technically we aren't in first place since the "Ellis T. Jones III Rule" states that no program that accumulates points based solely on the misdeeds of a single player is eligible for the Fulmer Cup. Now Daniel would be the front runner for the Ellis T. Jones III Award which is given out to the player that single handily accumulates the most points for his school. As a side note this award has gone to a Bama player twice with DJ Pettway getting it in 2013 and Jimmy John getting it in 2008.

Amen Pat....My awakening to the real world was as a freshman living in Mag Hall where most freshmen lived back in the day. I was a co-op student working my way through AU with almost no help from home. When I returned from Thanksgiving break that first fall quarter I found someone had stolen some stuff from my room including a little cheap radio I had bought with my paper route money when I was about 10 or 11. I was stunned than anyone would steal from another student. I came from a town where people did not even lock their doors unless they were leaving town for a few days....and this was college by God where people had standards and had respect for others. And yet, someone figured they had a right to my little crappy AM radio just because they wanted it.

Seems that little has changed in the ensuing 50 years.

Attitudes like yours are a big part of the problem!

How did they get caught??

Screw him if it's true. Thats disgusting and lame that he broke into dorms during spring break. I had somebody break into my dorm once and take my wallet and some other small things. Whoever has sympathy for the decision he made is off base, IMO.

Yep!! No excuses for this idiot (E. Daniel) and others like him.

wde

wde

Exactly. And yet his teammate who is a R-Freshman starts a $1K scholarship fund in his hometown. I wouldn't have an issue with players being comped more..i think they should be but that's no excuse to commit crimes.

wde

Exactly. And yet his teammate who is a R-Freshman starts a $1K scholarship fund in his hometown. I wouldn't have an issue with players being comped more..i think they should be but that's no excuse to commit crimes.

1983 is on point! That to me is exactly the point. And I totally agree with 24. It is attitudes like this that are the problem. I, like many, grew up poor, but I chose to get myself out of that situation by working hard and going to college and getting a good job. These kids may not have a lot. They may have to do without while they see others doing all sorts of fun things. But the attitude of "what do I have now" vs "what can I have if I work for it" is what is wrong with so many. We have all looked around and said "I wish". Some of us decide we will try to make those wishes come true and others want someone to give it to them. Work for what you deserve!!!

I keep hoping for one offseason with no off field incidents. There's always next year, I suppose.

At least we're way behind in the Fulmer Cup. Or ahead? Not sure how that works.

It is there and people love to bring it up so here ya go. :dead:

3 felonies at 3 points per

5 misdemeanors at 1 point per

You can bet some bonus points because it is Auburn (mainly SEC but being Auburn does not help in this silly cup thing).

:bs:

That would give us a total of 15 to 17 points. :shoot:

You can bet your paycheck we will be at #1 in the standings and it will be plastered all over social media and the internet as soon as the turds get a title loan to get their internet back on.

According to /u/Honestly_ (one of the guys who runs the Fulmer Cup), this is the breakdown:

• 3 points per felony x 6 felonies = 18 points
  • 1 point per misdemeanor x 2 misdemeanor = 2 points
  • Crime Spree Bonus = 1 point

Total: 21 points

EDIT: Also found the official Google doc, but it has not yet been updated. Previously, we were in a tie for 22nd, with every other school who didn't have any points. Assuming that the only thing that hasn't yet been put in is Elijah's arrest, we would catapult into 1st place and have a 7 point lead on Temple University. We would also be 11 points ahead of Alabama in conference play.

Technically we aren't in first place since the "Ellis T. Jones III Rule" states that no program that accumulates points based solely on the misdeeds of a single player is eligible for the Fulmer Cup. Now Daniel would be the front runner for the Ellis T. Jones III Award which is given out to the player that single handily accumulates the most points for his school. As a side note this award has gone to a Bama player twice with DJ Pettway getting it in 2013 and Jimmy John getting it in 2008.

This would come into play, but unfortunately a walk on was arrested on the same charges as Elijah. Therefore, they both get 22 points, negating the Ellis T. Jones III Rule, and catapulting us into 1st. By a mile.

This post just struck a nerve with me I don't know why. They get way more than a free education, they get unlimited food/snacks, as well as plenty of other things. Athletes now are getting WAY more than they've ever gotten and people still want to say they aren't getting enough. I've countless players out at bars, restaurants, etc. So if they can afford that they aren't too bad off right? I've seen more college kids that are a lot less fortunate than 98% of these division 1 athletes

It struck a nerve with me too. Being an impoverished student athlete is no excuse for criminal behavior.

There was probably no athlete at Auburn who had less than OMac. He didn't commit felonies. What about Malcolm Canada? He was in a very difficult situation and he managed to make it.

It's not easy to struggle financially in college but it's also something that a person can survive. And athletes have it easier than other poor students trying to earn a degree.

I am tired of these kids dragging Auburn's name through the mud when they have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. The stupidity of throwing it all away is just mind boggling.

It struck a nerve with me too. Being an impoverished student athlete is no excuse for criminal behavior.

There was probably no athlete at Auburn who had less than OMac. He didn't commit felonies. What about Malcolm Canada? He was in a very difficult situation and he managed to make it.

It's not easy to struggle financially in college but it's also something that a person can survive. And athletes have it easier than other poor students trying to earn a degree.

I am tired of these kids dragging Auburn's name through the mud when they have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. The stupidity of throwing it all away is just mind boggling.

Totally agree! Dragging Auburns name through the mud is what really irritates me as well.

On Omac, if I'm not mistaken he had a summer job his senior year

There are no excuses for engaging in criminal behavior. If he did this, I am glad he is gone.

Archived