Softball vs. Tennessee - Tournament Championship

What a sharp team- hitting, fielding, pitching, catching. Great coaches and great young women working hard. Very proud of them. WDE

Yep when you have a bunch of .400 hitters the team is almost never out of a game. Even with Howard, the team's lead-off hitter having an off night, there was plenty of power and pure hitting skill elsewhere to make up for it.

And those Vol ladies got a good lesson last night....dancing around outside their dugout in the 6th after they had taken the lead.....as if the game was over. With Auburn's roster of of hitters a game is rarely over before the last one them had been retired.

Looking forward to seeing the show tonight for our opponents next week.....but I expect we have not seen the last of some of these SEC teams like Bama and UT...or LSU.....as they are likely to turn up in our bracket between now and Oklahoma City. Should be fun.

If we keep winning and they keep winning sure we'll eventually have to play them I'm sure, but it's unlikely we would play uat or lsu before the CWS. They are likely to be top 8 seeds like us (although lsu didn't finish the season very strong). If they are top 8 seeds, that's a guarantee that we won't play them until the CWS.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

realize Auburn probably didn't have many fans there specifically to cheer Auburn on, but every time something good happened for tennessee they showed those dancing morons. Rarely did we see an Auburn fan celebrating anything.

It's baseball/softball with lots of "dead time" and camera has to be pointed somewhere....and guess the UT players and fans were the ones making the show. But as noted, the dancing along the first base line was tacky....should not have been allowed....keep the non-playing players in the dugouts.

From what I saw, a pitiful few AU fans there...even after the win, almost nobody coming down to celebrate. Too bad....by the time the ladies got to the finals, there should have been a good AU crowd though perhaps the Bama baseball game at AU kept some folks home. Looks like we will be back on campus next week.....hoping for a standing room crowd for those games.

The culture of softball must be different from baseball. Doing that dancing crap outside of the dugout would have started a full scale brawl in baseball.

To repeat what was mentioned above, Carley Wallace really smashed that last pitch. I think Ol' Diz used to call those a "blue darter". She smoked it!

Auburn does some chanting/cheering (some choreographed) but within the dug out. I've seen them holding a little shoe. Anyone know what that's all about?

I am new to Softball, but we have gotten season tickets for the past two years, and we were surprised at the difference in how SB players act vs BB. It is fun to watch, after you get use to it, each team has their own antic before and during the game.

The culture of softball must be different from baseball. Doing that dancing crap outside of the dugout would have started a full scale brawl in baseball.

To repeat what was mentioned above, Carley Wallace really smashed that last pitch. I think Ol' Diz used to call those a "blue darter". She smoked it!

No doubt that about that...has taken me awhile to get used to it but I figure that lots of those girls were cheerleaders somewhere along the line and are used to those kind of choreographed cheer routines..some are pretty creative. Considering the usual small crowds at so many softball games, the girls are doing their best to rev up team mates and keep the games energetic.....I'm good with that. BUT...they ought to keep it in the dugouts...JMO>

And, no question, in baseball that stuff or even the reactions to individual plays, hits, or whatever would be inviting a knockdown pitch the next time the batter came to the plate.

My daughter played softball and there are a lot of chants and things going on. Her team even had signs that they hung up and dances that they did but it all took place inside their dugout.

On the college level you would think it might be a little more...I hesitate to say businesslike because you want the girls to have fun....but they should be a little more restrained.

When I played softball nobody much showed up unless they were related to a player and it was very basic barely rec league quality. Things have come a long way. I'm really glad to see all the support for softball these days.

The culture is very different. It's a little looser. The chanting and dancing is part of the game and so are the hair bows and the braided hair. But I've never seen dancing done outside of the dugout before. Maybe that's something new.

Softball is a LOT different! I worked security at D1 university games and it is so much different, but fun to watch. Girls do some goofy stuff in the dugout.

Carosone should have stamped the softball MVP with that performance! 4 for 5 hitting in the SEC Championship game, come on man!

Softball is a LOT different! I worked security at D1 university games and it is so much different, but fun to watch. Girls do some goofy stuff in the dugout.

Carosone should have stamped the softball MVP with that performance! 4 for 5 hitting in the SEC Championship game, come on man!

She was Tournament MVP and she is one of the finalists for National Player of the Year. 4-5 in a title game is strong.. She's been doing it all season.

The LACK of airtime for Auburn in the selection shows tells me that won't happen. I sure hope these girls can use the lack of respect as motivation. Keep winning!

I wasn't expecting massive coverage ... But nothing? Zilch? nadda?

To me, it means someone precanned the coverage and assumed tenn was gonna win?

Any chance Myers kept espn away to keep the girls focused? The way some people said the telecast was against tenn, I think they just planned on a different team. Wasn't lookng for much, but would have thought the #4 seed would at least have a camera on the room.

It's women's softball. You can't expect too much coverage. AU or not.

Can we stop with the "It's just softball" crap? I'm sorry. It's big enough to be on TV and have a 60 minute show detailing the brackets.

Any chance Myers kept espn away to keep the girls focused? The way some people said the telecast was against tenn, I think they just planned on a different team. Wasn't lookng for much, but would have thought the #4 seed would at least have a camera on the room.

Yes, very into UT. I don't get that. Sure, they were hot during the tourney. They also lost it.

Yes, very into UT. I don't get that. Sure, they were hot during the tourney. They also lost it.

And Carosone one of the top players in the US and unless I missed it, not even a mention of her outstanding performance against Tennessee....or the role she has played in helping AU achieve that #4 seed.

As noted above,....AU not expected to be there perhaps....and nobody did any home work on the team and the leading players. The other 3 top seeds got quite a bit of air time as did some of the lower seeded teams. Would have been nice to get more or less equal coverage....JMO

Can we stop with the "It's just softball" crap? I'm sorry. It's big enough to be on TV and have a 30 minute show detailing the brackets.

The show was an hour....and I agree.. It's not "just softball". When you are named one of the top 4 seeds, I would expect all 4 to get equal tv coverage. Our game the night before was televised LIVE on their flagship station for all the world to see. Yet, we didn't hardly get a mention except when the bracket was announced. Tennessee ( a team we beat 3 out of 4 times) had a live camera at their gathering, Auburn wins the conference tournament and NOTHING.

I'm not one to buy into the black helicopters and such but goodness gracious. What does Auburn have to do to get noticed? It's not like they were a .500 team that got hot and won the tournament. They've been a top 10 team virtually all season.

Any crazy possible way Myers didn't want the publicity? Keep the girls focused and let winning provide the pub?

I know that is far fetched ... Espn being jack wagons is more plausible.

Just wondering.

Any crazy possible way Myers didn't want the publicity? Keep the girls focused and let winning provide the pub?

I know that is far fetched ... Espn being jack wagons is more plausible.

Just wondering.

Saw a short clip on al.com this AM and I guarantee you they players were expecting to be on TV...they were dressed to the "nines" but far as I know, they never made it. Pretty sure this was an ESPNU oversight....and not a coaching strategy.

They had been to a banquet before the bracket announcements. I could not believe they had no TV coverage either and not being televised this week-end either. BSPN

Archived