Dlineman committing and it's a little scary

JFDTiger80

Only position I'm worried about is DT. And if any of you think we are ok and it's just May then you need to think again. AU is getting worked here. Plain and simple. AU needs 4 DT's and is on the outside looking in for almost all of the top guys. Jackson is 50/50 with us and uga.

And I also think this is a pretty big recruiting cycle for RG. uga is owning him right now.

Agreed if you only look at the state of Georgia & we miss on Antwuan. Good thing is this is a deep DT class & there are quality DTs in our region outside of Georgia to pull from if need be. For example, 4* DT Stephon Taylor from Louisiana grew up in Valley, AL through middle school & his dad & brother still live there. AU is in the picture there. IF we get him & Antwuan then we would only need 1 more as we have Q Williams committed at DT. It wouldn't be a UGA great DT class but it still would be solid to good.

I know but point is AU & RG have struck out on their first set of guys and are having to re-group. Not very good situation to be in when you are having to basically start over. And these are kids that RG has been on for years.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Garner can't get his recruiting together, he probably needs to start stepping. He won't be able to count on a Muschamp hire next year and I would hate to depend on a bunch team of Maurice Swains to get the job done. Not hating on Maurice Swain but we have only signed one blue chip recruit since Montravious. Georgia signed 5 quality DL last year and they are getting their share this year at our expense. Meanwhile, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for juco 3* DT recruits.

If we want to compete for championships we HAvE to have special talent on the DL, in particular DT. We do great at the ends but seem to be struggling at DT. I'm more and more convinced that RGs success at Ga was more related to the Instate talent pool than his prowess. I'm pulling for him but if he strikes out this year on elite talent may be time to look around at alternatives.

Only position I'm worried about is DT. And if any of you think we are ok and it's just May then you need to think again. AU is getting worked here. Plain and simple. AU needs 4 DT's and is on the outside looking in for almost all of the top guys. Jackson is 50/50 with us and uga.

And I also think this is a pretty big recruiting cycle for RG. uga is owning him right now.

Agreed if you only look at the state of Georgia & we miss on Antwuan. Good thing is this is a deep DT class & there are quality DTs in our region outside of Georgia to pull from if need be. For example, 4* DT Stephon Taylor from Louisiana grew up in Valley, AL through middle school & his dad & brother still live there. AU is in the picture there. IF we get him & Antwuan then we would only need 1 more as we have Q Williams committed at DT. It wouldn't be a UGA great DT class but it still would be solid to good.

I know but point is AU & RG have struck out on their first set of guys and are having to re-group. Not very good situation to be in when you are having to basically start over. And these are kids that RG has been on for years.

I understand that but my point is I don't think this should be a make or break year for CRG like some believe, especially if the DL has a good year on the field. There's an old adage in sports. Don't fire a guy unless you know you got someone better. To be honest I don't think there is a DL coach out there that can do any better in Georgia recruiting head to head against Pruitt & Rock. And for those wondering about Rock, everything I've heard is he is not moving again til his kids graduate FWIW. Unless the DL doesn't improve on the field this year I think it's best right now to keep things as they are & ride out the Pruitt-Rock wave. If we let CRG go there is a greater chance things get worse instead of better give the current climate @ UGA.

If Garner can't get his recruiting together, he probably needs to start stepping. He won't be able to count on a Muschamp hire next year and I would hate to depend on a bunch team of Maurice Swains to get the job done. Not hating on Maurice Swain but we have only signed one blue chip recruit since Montravious. Georgia signed 5 quality DL last year and they are getting their share this year at our expense. Meanwhile, we are scraping the bottom of the barrel for juco 3* DT recruits.

No disrespect at all but do you have a solution that can do better head-to-head versus Pruitt & Rock?

If we want to compete for championships we HAvE to have special talent on the DL, in particular DT. We do great at the ends but seem to be struggling at DT. I'm more and more convinced that RGs success at Ga was more related to the Instate talent pool than his prowess. I'm pulling for him but if he strikes out this year on elite talent may be time to look around at alternatives.

Garner was damn good recruiting there. Reality is the combo of Pruitt the recruiter & Rock the coach are just that much better.

Garner is past his prime, it is really obvious. He's been coaching a long time, and coaches can decline just like players do (especially in areas like recruiting). He's lost the "elite recruiter" label.

The thing I keep going back to with DT recruiting esp this year in GA is that there are far to many talented players for every one of them to want to go to the same school. AU is soo close by we should at least be leading for 1 of these kids considering Garner has been here a while now. Tennessee just pulled a 4'star DE from GA. We should be getting some players too.

Honestly, I don't know what to think about Garner right now. I can see the points being made on both sides. Fact is we will be putting a lot of talent on the field this year and IF our guys can stay healthy, we could have one of the better D Lines in the SEC. Could push us over the top for 1 or 2 blue-chip guys on the fringe later in the recruiting cycle.

We watched as the defensive recruiting slowly slipped away last year. It was still "we'll be fine" as player after player that had been penciled in for AU committed elsewhere. Then came the Muschamp/T.Rob hires and we pulled a rabbit out of the hat and salvaged the recruiting season at the last minute.

We shouldn't be counting on last minute miracles this year. Some of these big cats should be getting in the AU bag. To think everything is fine right now is playing ostrich and ignoring facts.

Can it be turned around? Sure. Should we be in the position to have to turn it around? NO.

Garner is past his prime, it is really obvious. He's been coaching a long time, and coaches can decline just like players do (especially in areas like recruiting). He's lost the "elite recruiter" label.

That may be very well true. Kids tend you relate better w/ younger coaches.

The thing I keep going back to with DT recruiting esp this year in GA is that there are far to many talented players for every one of them to want to go to the same school. AU is soo close by we should at least be leading for 1 of these kids considering Garner has been here a while now. Tennessee just pulled a 4'star DE from GA. We should be getting some players too.

Us & UGA are after the top level guys in Georgia. If UGA does plan to take them all they very well may. And as I said before AU had not offered the kid UT got so I am not sure why you keep bringing up a non-target.

We watched as the defensive recruiting slowly slipped away last year. It was still "we'll be fine" as player after player that had been penciled in for AU committed elsewhere. Then came the Muschamp/T.Rob hires and we pulled a rabbit out of the hat and salvaged the recruiting season at the last minute.

We shouldn't be counting on last minute miracles this year. Some of these big cats should be getting in the AU bag. To think everything is fine right now is playing ostrich and ignoring facts.

Can it be turned around? Sure. Should we be in the position to have to turn it around? NO.

There were absolutely 0 high level DL ever penciled in to AU at all last year except for the great fortunes of Byron & Tega at the end.

I don't think he's lost his ability to recruit. I think his coaching "tactics" may be the problem. The majority of kids these days really can't relate to his verbiage.

We've been saying for 2 years that the on field play will turn recruiting. I still believe that. It's been atrocious AND we lost a coordinator AND that coordinator wasn't a good recruiter or relator to youth. 1 good DL coach can't offset all that. I've got my concerns about CRG too, but the overall D improving under CWM will (IMO) turn recruiting around. I just don't see how it can't.

I don't think he's lost his ability to recruit. I think his coaching "tactics" may be the problem. The majority of kids these days really can't relate to his verbiage.

Who can't relate to f-bombs?! :)

Us & UGA are after the top level guys in Georgia. If UGA does plan to take them all they very well may. And as I said before AU had not offered the kid UT got so I am not sure why you keep bringing up a non-target.

I am bringing it up because they pulled a 4 star DE out of GA and we can't seem to pull any defensive players out of GA. Does not matter that we did not recruit the kid Tennessee got.......the point is they got a 4'Star D lineman out of GA this year.

Who can't relate to f-bombs?! :)

You know how these new age kids are..

I am bringing it up because they pulled a 4 star DE out of GA and we can't seem to pull any defensive players out of GA. Does not matter that we did not recruit the kid Tennessee got.......the point is they got a 4'Star D lineman out of GA this year.

With all due respect you keep missing the point.The guy did not have a commitable offer from UGA. It's a lot easier getting the targets Pruitt & Rock don't want. Well guess what? Most of the DL in Georgia we want, they want too. Makes it much tougher right now unfortunately. If UGA wanted the kid Tennessee got he likely would not be w/ Tennessee.

And Okonya is a composite 3* btw. Link

There were absolutely 0 high level DL ever penciled in to AU at all last year except for the great fortunes of Byron & Tega at the end.

They were talked about, wondered about, stated to be Auburn leans and so forth. I guess it depends on whose pencil one looks at. A lot of posters on this board watched guys slip away that had been thought to be headed to AU. You know, kinda' like what we are seeing right now. Thus "penciled in" rather than "inked in".

AU didn't offer the 4* DE from Georgia. DE is not an area to be concerned with. We good there. Trust me.

What? Good Lord. Have you ever seen CWM coach? Both coach the same way. I don't know what CRG's problem is recruiting but coach "verbiage" is not one of those problems.

CWM had some epic "verbiage" quote this spring. I've shared some with a few here. Not something I will put on a public board.

To be fair AU did pull in one of the top two DT's on their board. David Marshall. Kid is an elite talent.

UGA is pulling in a massive DLine class. Darn it Tracy!

However, they will not all go to UGA in the end. Playing time is important to these recruits.

It's not over yet. I like our chances with Marlon Davidson and Antonneous Clayton to AU.

Clayton had 3 standing out. Florida, Ole Miss, & Bama on a free Scout article 3 days ago. http://recruiting.scout.com/story/1546112-antonneous-clayton-a-sleeper-no-more

AU on his top 5. https://auburn.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1767435#sthash.9PRFjrLn.uxfs&st_refDomain=t.co&st_refQuery=/3xkdMkGYO0

Archived