uat sorority removes recruiting video

Mike4AU

Why am I not surprised at what Updykes will do. Be sure to click on the video (scroll down to the bottom of the article).

http://www.msn.com/e...lash/ar-BBlOCwP

Other than the fact that the recruitment video seemed to be geared toward recruiting pimple faced 18 year old males not females, I don't see what the problem is. If a girl wants to rush and pledge toward a sorority, yeah academics matter, but the girls are attracted to the fun stuff so there is no surprise that the video did not show a girl doing Calculus homework.

Why am I not surprised at what Updykes will do. Be sure to click on the video (scroll down to the bottom of the article).

Other than the fact that the recruitment video seemed to be geared toward recruiting pimple faced 18 year old males not females, I don't see what the problem is. If a girl wants to rush and pledge toward a sorority, yeah academics matter, but the girls are attracted to the fun stuff so there is no surprise that the video did not show a girl doing Calculus homework.

Heh folks....it's college....first time away from home.....looking for friends and a reasonably safe place to enjoy themselves.

What's the big deal ?....bunch of spoil sports imposing their values on a group that is not hurting anyone...."girls just wanna have fun" or whatever?

Heh folks....it's college....first time away from home.....looking for friends and a reasonably safe place to enjoy themselves.

What's the big deal ?....bunch of spoil sports imposing their values on a group that is not hurting anyone...."girls just wanna have fun" or whatever?

I understood the whatever part. Maybe you should start over.

One of the main problems people have with this isn't just the content. It's that it's a large sorority(200 members), and they hand picked a bunch(78) of fit white blondes instead including everyone(shape, size, color, etc). Or so I've read.

Me, personally, I don't care one way or another; but I certainly don't mind that UAT is involved in negative press.

One of the main problems people have with this isn't just the content. It's that it's a large sorority(200 members), and they hand picked a bunch(78) of fit white blondes instead including everyone(shape, size, color, etc). Or so I've read.

Me, personally, I don't care one way or another; but I certainly don't mind that UAT is involved in negative press.

The sorority definitely portrayed itself as a homogeneous institution and I could see that concern. This literally happens every year at Alabama, so one would think they would learn. However, some writer said this video was worst for women than Donald Trump. I didn't get that.

You are missing the problem with this video. It is an example of the objectification of women. Race is only a secondary concern here. What does the video say about what we value in women? Clearly, one must conclude that only one body type is to be valued. This video demeans women everywhere. Try this, show the video to your mother and ask her if she would want her daughter to pledge this sorority?

Come on guys; you are better than this. Grow up!

You are missing the problem with this video. It is an example of the objectification of women. Race is only a secondary concern here. What does the video say about what we value in women? Clearly, one must conclude that only one body type is to be valued. This video demeans women everywhere. Try this, show the video to your mother and ask her if she would want her daughter to pledge this sorority?

So your problem is with the prevalent "body type" not necessarily the video, correct?

With no daughters maybe it's out of place for me to remark; however I'd be highly disappointed if she went to college to become that.

I agree. At first when I heard about it I thought "just another group of people upset that there were not enough different skinned toned people in whatever video it is" but then I just saw it...wow, what is Alabama, a school or strip club??

They can show people having some fun, but all the skin? bouncing? Show people with BOOKS!!! Show people that education, for women, is important.

Much ado about nothing...It's a group of very young people who decided this is how they want to portray their organization. Was it tasteful or dignified? No. I remember being at AU way back in the late 80's/early 90's and the sorority girls were no different. The only thing that makes it terrible is that it's out there on the internet. I did lots of very dumb things when I was in college...there just wasn't a series of social media to document it for all the world to see.

I really don't have a problem with this video. Would I want my daughter to participate in something like this? Absolutely not, but I hope that I teach her better.

Much ado about nothing...It's a group of very young people who decided this is how they want to portray their organization. Was it tasteful or dignified? No. I remember being at AU way back in the late 80's/early 90's and the sorority girls were no different. The only thing that makes it terrible is that it's out there on the internet. I did lots of very dumb things when I was in college...there just wasn't a series of social media to document it for all the world to see.

I really don't have a problem with this video. Would I want my daughter to participate in something like this? Absolutely not, but I hope that I teach her better.

You call that way back? That's like yesterday to me

You call that way back? That's like yesterday to me

Seems like an eternity to me.

I did lots of very dumb things when I was in college...there just wasn't a series of social media to document it for all the world to see.

LOL Thank GOD for that! =) We'd never live it down!

I did lots of very dumb things when I was in college...there just wasn't a series of social media to document it for all the world to see.

you can PM me ouchy....................trust me I will keep it just between us...................

you can PM me ouchy....................trust me I will keep it just between us...................

Me and Ouchy had a blast.

Remember chilling Killians Irish Red in the bathtub? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of blondes in that video.

Lots of brunette roots in that video.

Really sad they all those brunettes died their hair blond. It really ruins their beauty as it look trashy on most women who do this. But I'm with the guy in the commen's section screaming about the shameful neglect and omission of gingers!

In all seriousness though. As a father to 2 beautiful teenage daughters both about to leave for college very soon, I can see why the University was upset. But that being said a Sorority isn't about learning any more than a Fraternity is. It's about partying and hanging out with friends. The fact that the video looks like the opening to this year's Batchelor tv show displaying the lineup of women in competition for some dudes fortune (really sad what passes for intertainment these days) is what the problem is. If they were not quite so scantily clad in dresses barley covering their butt that would be at the small of their back when bent over their probably wouldn't have been a problem. But image is everything to most teen girls. And just like guys they have Sex on the brain. Women will deny that but I know better and so does every other man and woman. Older than the age of 15.

Lots of blondes in that video.

Lots of brunette roots in that video.

Really sad they all those brunettes died their hair blond. It really ruins their beauty as it look trashy on most women who do this. But I'm with the guy in the commen's section screaming about the shameful neglect and omission of gingers!

In all seriousness though. As a father to 2 beautiful teenage daughters both about to leave for college very soon, I can see why the University was upset. But that being said a Sorority isn't about learning any more than a Fraternity is. It's about partying and hanging out with friends. The fact that the video looks like the opening to this year's Batchelor tv show displaying the lineup of women in competition for some dudes fortune (really sad what passes for intertainment these days) is what the problem is. If they were not quite so scantily clad in dresses barley covering their butt that would be at the small of their back when bent over their probably wouldn't have been a problem. But image is everything to most teen girls. And just like guys they have Sex on the brain. Women will deny that but I know better and so does every other man and woman. Older than the age of 15.

:bigblush: :bigblush: :bigblush:

Archived