Baylor player convicted of rape

WarEagle84

A sad story, especially for the young woman who was raped.

WACO, Texas — Baylor football player Sam Ukwuachu was sentenced to 180 days in jail and given 10 years of probation Friday for sexually assaulting a female soccer player at the Texas university.

The 22-year-old Ukwuachu was also was ordered to perform 400 hours of community service as another condition of probation. He had faced up to 20 years in prison.

Ukwuachu, an All-America defensive end from Pearland, Texas, started 12 games for Boise State as a freshman. He transferred in 2013 after being dismissed for unspecified reasons, but never played for Baylor. He was ineligible in 2013 because of NCAA transfer rules and suspended in 2014, though Baylor never gave a reason.

Ukwuachu was found guilty Thursday of one count of sexual assault by a jury in Texas district court.

Prosecutors say Ukwuachu sexually assaulted a former Baylor women's soccer player at his Waco apartment. Ukwuachu has said the encounter was consensual.

After the verdict, the judge ruled Ukwuachu's bond insufficient and ordered him jailed.

A Baylor official testified that the school investigated the woman's complaint but didn't find enough evidence ''to move forward.''

Baylor said it will conduct an investigation into the handling of sexual assault allegations by the school against Ukwuachu, who was allowed to transfer from Boise State despite a history of disciplinary problems.

Baylor President Ken Starr called for a "comprehensive internal inquiry into the circumstances associated with the case the conduct of the offices involved."

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/baylor-bears-football-player-convicted-of-sexual-assault-in-waco-082115

This doesn't look good for Baylor. Art Briles is denying he had any knowledge of Ukwuachu's alleged assault of a girlfriend that got him dismissed from Boise State, and Chris Peterson is saying he gave full disclosure. I'd like to believe the best from both men, but one of them has to be at least stretching the truth.

This story could hang around well into the season.

Another part of the story is how Baylor kept it quiet for so long. Ukwuachu was indicted for rape by a grand jury in June 2014, and as recently as this month, coaches were saying he would be their starting DE this season.

Texas Monthly did a rather long story on it if you want to know more.

I feel really bad for the young lady. As far as the player goes, he is probably wishing he would have signed with FSU.

More on the back-and-forth between Patterson and Briles and who shared how much information with whom: http://www.texasmont...letic-director/

Sounds to me like Briles got sold a rotten apple.....probably not first time some coach passed off one of his problems without a warning.

Guest WarEagleSteve

More on the back-and-forth between Patterson and Briles and who shared how much information with whom: http://www.texasmont...letic-director/

Sounds to me like Briles got sold a rotten apple.....probably not first time some coach passed off one of his problems without a warning.

Or he knew exactly what he was getting and hoped that the player would either A. not make a scene at Baylor or B. If he did that Baylor would be able to brush it aside and sweep it under the rug like FSU did with its Jameis Winston debacle. t

Best news I've read in weeks...from a piece about this guy and why UF passed on him. There was no way," one of the former Florida employees told The Inside Read of Ukwuachu. "[Muschamp] wouldn't touch him."

Apparently UF was looking at the guy until CWM found out about his record. Good for Muschamp...the kind of guy we need at AU.

Boise State released a statement today saying they had no knowledge of any allegations of violence against Ukwuachu. Apparently there were no charges filed, and the allegations only became public when the former Boise girlfriend testified at his trial. Given the privacy protections in FERPA and HIPAA, that's not much of a stretch to believe.

If that is the case, it makes me wonder what caused Muschamp to shy away from him.

Boise State released a statement today saying they had no knowledge of any allegations of violence against Ukwuachu. Apparently there were no charges filed, and the allegations only became public when the former Boise girlfriend testified at his trial. Given the privacy protections in FERPA and HIPAA, that's not much of a stretch to believe.

If that is the case, it makes me wonder what caused Muschamp to shy away from him.

Either way, it clears Briles name. Good for him.

• 1 year later...

Conviction overturned, Court ruled he should have a new trial.

Former Baylor player Sam Ukwuachu is getting a new trial.

Ukwuachu had been convicted of sexually assaulting a female Baylor soccer playerin August 2015, but his conviction was overturned by Texas’ 10th Court of Appeals. The court also ruled that Ukwuachu be given a new trial.

Ukwuachu’s appeal was based on text messages between him and the alleged victim that were not allowed as evidence during his original trial. His lawyers argued that the text messages showed that the sex between Ukwuachu and the alleged victim was consensual.

Ukwuachu was originally sentenced to six months in jail and 10 years probation following his conviction but served only two months before being granted bail in lieu of his appeal.

In many ways, it was the Ukwuachu trial and conviction that began the ongoing sexual assault scandal at Baylor. A scandal that includes 52 alleged “acts of rape” committed by 31 Baylor players, and led to the dismissal of football coach Art Briles in May 2016.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/former-baylor-player-sam-ukwuachu-gets-sexual-assault-conviction-overturned/

This doesn't have anything to do with Baylor'a current legal problems but how many of you remember the legal circuus back in the late 90,' I believe? A player from their basketball team went missing and was later found murdered. I bring this up because Showtime will have  a documentary on it next month, I believe.

O

9 minutes ago, milehighfan said:

This doesn't have anything to do with Baylor'a current legal problems but how many of you remember the legal circuus back in the late 90,' I believe? A player from their basketball team went missing and was later found murdered. I bring this up because Showtime will have  a documentary on it next month, I believe.

O

Yep teammate killed him one of the strangest things I've ever heard of. The teammate that killed him was declared a nut case.

In the summer of 2003, reports surfaced that Dennehy and Dotson were concerned about their safety. They had purchased two pistols and a rifle and practiced firing them at a farm north of Waco. On June 14, Dennehy told friend Daniel Okopnyi that he was worried about threats made to Dotson by two teammates. Dennehy also indicated that he and Dotson would be at a party the following day at which neither appeared.[citation needed] Over the next few days, there were indications that something had gone wrong: Dennehy's mother and stepfather, Valorie and Brian Brabazon, were concerned that they had received no calls on Father's Day,[5] Dennehy's roommate, Chris Turk, returned from an out-of-town trip to find that Dennehy's dogs had not been fed in days. On June 19, the Brabazons filed a report with the Waco Police Department that Dennehy was missing. On June 25, Dennehy's Chevrolet Tahoe was found in the parking lot of a shopping mall in Virginia Beach, Virginia with its license plates removed, allegedly by Dotson.[5]

An affidavit filed on June 23, which was unsealed on June 30, seeking a search warrant for Dennehy's computer says that an informant in Delaware told police that Dotson, who by now was at home in Hurlock, Maryland, told a cousin that he had shot and killed Dennehy during an argument while firing guns in the Waco area. On July 21, Dotson was charged with the murder of Patrick Dennehy and taken into custody in Maryland. The search for Dennehy continued until July 25, when a badly-decomposed body was found in a gravel pit near Waco and was taken to Dallas for an autopsy. While Dotson said he felt compelled to speak with the FBI,[6] it's unknown whether his report led police to Dennehy's body. The following day, medical examiners identified the body as being Patrick Dennehy. On July 30, his death was ruled a homicide after a preliminary autopsy report showed that Dennehy died of gunshot wounds to the head. Upon discovery of Dennehy's remains, the head and body were discovered in separate locations. Whereas sensationalized news reports indicated Dennehy was decapitated, investigators believe this occurrence is most likely the result of scavenging desert animals.[5] Dennehy was buried in San Jose, California on August 7

On June 8, 2005, five days before his trial for murder was to begin, Dotson unexpectedly pleaded guilty to killing Patrick Dennehy. On June 15, Dotson was sentenced to 35 years in prison and will be eligible for parole after he has served about half of his sentence in 2021.[6][8] A judge ruled in January 2006 that Dotson had forfeited his right to appeal when he pleaded guilty after Dotson wrote a letter in December 2005 seeking permission to appeal his case.[8]

Yep, you're right. This latest incident is very sad and very tragic. It remains to be seen just how the football program will be affected. I would imagine there could be some dear sweet moms who don't want their little darlings anywhere near Waco.

Archived