ESPN's Todd McShay opines ...

RunInRed

So....this week we should......fire Rhett, bench the qb, bench the oline, bench our top receiver from last year, make DC the QB coach, put Gus on the hot seat, fire Rodney G, and give up for the rest of the year after starting 2-0. Makes sense.

Preach

Don't forget......#FireTRob

So....this week we should......fire Rhett, bench the qb, bench the oline, bench our top receiver from last year, make DC the QB coach, put Gus on the hot seat, fire Rodney G, and give up for the rest of the year after starting 2-0. Makes sense.

You left out beat LSU. Probably just an obvious oversight on your part.

On another note, I remember some of these same comments being made about Gene Chizik after the 2-0 start in 2011 (Utah State & Miss. St.). Then posters would respond with comments like "What flavor glue you sniffin? Chizik's doing a great job." "It's not Chizik's fault. Players need time to grow & develop." "OMGGGG, We're 2-0 and you want to fire the head coach coming off a national championship?" We know how that story ended. The jury is still out on Malzahn.

You left out beat LSU. Probably just an obvious oversight on your part.

On another note, I remember some of these same comments being made about Gene Chizik after the 2-0 start in 2011 (Utah State & Miss. St.). Then posters would respond with comments like "What flavor glue you sniffin? Chizik's doing a great job." "It's not Chizik's fault. Players need time to grow & develop." "OMGGGG, We're 2-0 and you want to fire the head coach coming off a national championship?" We know how that story ended. The jury is still out on Malzahn.

Been saying this for a year or so....still believe it....have not seen the consistency that is required in this job.

McTool mentions the alarming AU player body language I posted comments about after both the UL and Jax State games. That's a lack of player leadership and a 2012-style concern, not as fixable as QB, OL, etc. We need an epic game from Carl, Rudy or one of our other potential leaders that never take a play off on D.

Gus is still learning how to be a big time HC. This is only his 3rd year at the top. He has time management issues and sometimes outsmarts himself. However, I think if we keep Gus for a long time we will be in good shape. He's not playing with a very mature roster right now which makes him look a little worse. He also might make some questionable decisions regarding player discipline and/or getting guys with lower than average character. If we give him time I believe we will be in good shape. Sure, the coachspeak sucks but if we were to let go of Gus anytime soon I am sure that the next staff will not be as good overall as this one is. Even with the problems we have a very good staff.

I am crying I know...but this team's attitude stinks right now..... period... All but Barber and a few more.

Gus is still learning how to be a big time HC. This is only his 3rd year at the top. He has time management issues and sometimes outsmarts himself. However, I think if we keep Gus for a long time we will be in good shape. He's not playing with a very mature roster right now which makes him look a little worse. He also might make some questionable decisions regarding player discipline and/or getting guys with lower than average character. If we give him time I believe we will be in good shape. Sure, the coachspeak sucks but if we were to let go of Gus anytime soon I am sure that the next staff will not be as good overall as this one is. Even with the problems we have a very good staff.

This is his 4th year at the top but I do agree with your points.

Based on all the player interviews this past week their attitude seems fine to me. They were much more optimistic than I would have ever expected coming off of an overtime win against a FCS school. I think the coaching staff's demeanor somewhat rubs off on the players, which is why they remain confident.

The expectations are high and never changed for them, even though they may have for the fans. Let's just see if that holds true throughout the season. If it does, I won't feel so bad if we end up with another 8-5 type season. I just want to see the effort, even if it hasn't all come together on the field (see 2013 LSU game). Gus was a mastermind in orchestrating the 2013 offense to become one of the most dominant rushing attacks in the history of the game, so I am pretty confident he'll get it figured out.

Based on all the player interviews this past week their attitude seems fine to me. They were much more optimistic than I would have ever expected coming off of an overtime win against a FCS school. I think the coaching staff's demeanor somewhat rubs off on the players, which is why they remain confident.

The expectations are high and never changed for them, even though they may have for the fans. Let's just see if that holds true throughout the season. If it does, I won't feel so bad if we end up with another 8-5 type season. I just want to see the effort, even if it hasn't all come together on the field (see 2013 LSU game). Gus was a mastermind in orchestrating the 2013 offense to become one of the most dominant rushing attacks in the history of the game, so I am pretty confident he'll get it figured out.

Agreed, I think their attitudes are just fine. They are trying to live up to those lofty preseason expectations and are probably a disappointed in how they've played as a whole so far. Whoopin' LSU on the road will turn this team around from disappointed/overwhelmed to excited/optimistic.

Archived