What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

Would you expect much difference or improvement if Biden was our next president? Same thing with Chizik and Gus!

Laying it on thick ...

The smack is out!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, but today when the camera was on Ricardo running out of bounds 1 yard shy of the first, you could see Gus studying a clip board of papers or something and Lashlee sort of just standing there with no papers not doing much of anything. The only thing he did was take Ricardo's arm and pull him back. Kind of strange.

I don't know, but today when the camera was on Ricardo running out of bounds 1 yard shy of the first, you could see Gus studying a clip board of papers or something and Lashlee sort of just standing there with no papers not doing much of anything. The only thing he did was take Ricardo's arm and pull him back. Kind of strange.

i though we had already established that RL was contributing next to nothing

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

Wow, 3 players outta the last 5 years. That's some top notch player development!

Hasn't it been established that Gus is not the play caller this year?

If Gus seriously lets 'Rhett Lashlee' call plays... then Gus is an idiot!!!

We have a HC who is best suited to be an OC. We need a competent AD to hire a good HC.

wde

Smh. You want Gus being our OC???? He is literally the worst play caller in the SEC. His "system" is ineffective and complete joke to be honest. Horrible player development on top of absolutely pitiful play calling results in close games vs JSU and SJS, and losing every SEC game!

Damn, I guess Sammie, Gabe, Alonzo, and a few others just coached themselves up....

Wow, 3 players outta the last 5 years. That's some top notch player development!

Hasn't it been established that Gus is not the play caller this year?

If Gus seriously lets 'Rhett Lashlee' call plays... then Gus is an idiot!!!

I would agree at this point

We have 0 player development...our best players are transfers that were coached up by other staffs.

But we said the same exact thing about Chziks AU teams. Why is it still a freaking problem, with a whole new staff?

Offensively...

We're not utilizing our staff! We have 'arguably' one of the most respected QB coaches in the conference, but he's stuck coaching the receivers. DC has a track record of developing QB's, but Gus has to find a place for worthless Lashlee to coach!

Gus is gonna have to make a change, or next year he's gonna be out of a job...

Loyalty and stubborness to Lashlee... smh

It seems to me these recruits can run fast and jump high, but very little attention is given to attitude and heart. It would also be interesting to know what bill of goods they were sold during the process. Maybe we should offer more players based on heart and attitude that bleed orange and blue. Tubby did this, redshirted them, and by the time they were 4th year juniors, they would usually put it on 5 star freshman. I still have real concerns about earned playing time. PB started the year as 3rd team RB?!?!? That is only one of many on both sides of the ball. NOTHING will promote poor attitudes like not playing the best players! Most all players only want a fair shake.

Heart and attitude only go so far. There's no way LSU, uat, FL, Ole Miss' young players have more heart and a better attitude the our young players.

Recruiting stars will only get you so far also. Will M is not the only proven coach to talk about changing the culture at AU. Now I am not implying the staff is not contributing to this "Culture", because I think they are. Like I stated, recruiting promises, awarding of playing time,and accountability(fair and consistent discipline)issues will show up on the field.... good or bad. I don't pretend to know whats up, but it is more than player ability and coaching technique.

I was not initially a fan of the Gus hire anyway. I thought he played a bigger role in Chizik's collapse than people wanted to admit. Chizik's failed for 4 reasons.

1. Discipline which I think was partially on the athletic department as Tim Jackson was allegedly placed in the player discipline role after the 4 players were arrested in 2011

2. Player development particularly at quarterback. Receivers were hit or miss. Some developed very well (Adams, Blake, Coates) while others underachieved. Running backs and oline developed well. After all, Chizik's oline in 2012 was almost identical to Makzahn's in 2013. Defense was bad except for 2010 and the first half of 2012. 2009 we had no depth. 2011 we were very young. The second half of 2012, our guys quit. In other words, our defensive woes were not that surprising if you consider the roster. Quarterbacks seemed to digress under Malzahn, most notably trotter and Frazier.

3. Loeffler. To be honest, Chizik made the right hires on paper. It seemed like the Malzahn offense was handicapping our defense and our qb' were not being developed. Chizik hired a guy that had a history with quarterbacks that (allegedly) ran a versatile scheme and played more ball control. Loeffler ultimately ended up being a bust, but it seemed that inconsistent quarterback play seemed to be just as big of a problem.

4. He lost the team.

1 was on The athletic department. 3 was on Chizik, but I still say he looked good on paper. 2 was on several people, most notably Trooper Taylor who I believed had too low of expectations for our players. I also think Gus was to blame here. When Loeffler left, he claimed that our quarterbacks were all awful. In fact Wallace, who had never been taught by Malzahn, ended up being our best option that year. If we had even serviceable qb play, our offense would have been better and our defense wouldn't have quit.

Muschamp arrived to a train wreck on defense. The juniors and seniors in general are very undisciplined. Apparently unless the opposing o-line has to double team our rush end our d-line can't do much. Our linebackers save Garrett take plays off and are generally out of position to make plays. I will say all things considered our secondary is playing much better than last year.

CGM didn't go from an offensive genius to a complete idiot in an off season. If the sources here are reliable Lashlee is calling the plays. The play calling since the Louisville game has been very vanilla. I am pretty sure it was to give JJ confidence then help break in SW. The o-line has been underwhelming. This group has played enough games together at this point to gel. It hasn't happened as they struggled to open holes until they wore the SJS line down in the 4th quarter. The wr's are limited due to the vanilla play calling to protect the qb. The rb's have done pretty well considering the poor o-line play.

To sum it up it all starts in the trenches and until we get better line play on both sides of the ball we will continue to struggle on both sides of the ball.

Muschamp arrived to a train wreck on defense. The juniors and seniors in general are very undisciplined. Apparently unless the opposing o-line has to double team our rush end our d-line can't do much. Our linebackers save Garrett take plays off and are generally out of position to make plays. I will say all things considered our secondary is playing much better than last year.

CGM didn't go from an offensive genius to a complete idiot in an off season. If the sources here are reliable Lashlee is calling the plays. The play calling since the Louisville game has been very vanilla. I am pretty sure it was to give JJ confidence then help break in SW. The o-line has been underwhelming. This group has played enough games together at this point to gel. It hasn't happened as they struggled to open holes until they wore the SJS line down in the 4th quarter. The wr's are limited due to the vanilla play calling to protect the qb. The rb's have done pretty well considering the poor o-line play.

To sum it up it all starts in the trenches and until we get better line play on both sides of the ball we will continue to struggle on both sides of the ball.

Hard to argue with this.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Not necessarily. He's had success with passing quarterbacks in the past. I will say that it is important to have consistent play of some kind from the quarterback. The qb cannot be a weakness. Even Chris Todd was consistent enough to keep the chains moving.

How many games did we win with Chris Todd?? 8?? Is that where you want to be?? Gus got the most he could out of Chris that year. Sure he's had success with passing QB's in the past....at Tulsa. This isn't the mountain west. This offense is MOST effective with QBs who can run and make plays with their legs. Period.

I would take EIGHT wins this year and smile. smh

I would take 8 wins right now and feel like I had stolen something.

If it wasn't for Chizik then we wouldn't know who Gus was. Not sure why people are so shocked that Gus is a failure....he was Chiziks guy. So it makes sense.

Gus beat us at Arkansas. Some of us knew him.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

I hate it, but I think you've nailed it. For sure as far as this team goes. I know Gus has had success with pro style qb's in the past, but something is amiss. Oline pass blocking and receivers not getting open have not helped the cause.

wde

To be fair, execution is a complete joke right now. It's as if players have nothing between their ears. Can't lay that all on coaching. Word is our players are asking for simpler schemes. Take that for what it's worth.

Defense:

Lambert 4 star

Russell- 4 star

Adams- 5 star and top DL in his class

Cowart- five star and no. 1 prospect overall

Frost- 5 star

McKinzy-4 star

Tre Williams-5 star

Garrett- 4 star

Countess-4 star

Ford-former tailback converted to S

Matthews-4 star

Jones-3 star

Where is this talent gap?

In the weight room. :muscles:

I heard no one has received any participation awards or trophies yet. So everyone is really bummed about that. They are bringing in a psychologist to talk about their feelings during this off-week. They are going to try to schedule a kumbaya retreat in the mountains to find their inner-selves.

This is only a rumor so...not confirmed. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

But in reality the student section looked like :OnTheCan: . Nobody there. How much are tickets now? Thats something the admin definitely needs to look into. Not just student seats either.

this

wde

To be fair, execution is a complete joke right now. It's as if players have nothing between their ears. Can't lay that all on coaching. Word is our players are asking for simpler schemes. Take that for what it's worth.

What? Please link where the word is that our players are asking for simpler schemes? We are so simple that our football team collectively is riding the short bus already.

wde

I heard no one has received any participation awards or trophies yet. So everyone is really bummed about that. They are bringing in a psychologist to talk about their feelings during this off-week. They are going to try to schedule a kumbaya retreat in the mountains to find their inner-selves.

This is only a rumor so...not confirmed. :drippingsarcasm7pa:

But in reality the student section looked like :OnTheCan: . Nobody there. How much are tickets now? Thats something the admin definitely needs to look into. Not just student seats either.

I heard Rod say on the radio that a lot of Auburn fans left early because of the weather...I don't think it was the weather.

There is a culture problem that has been there through two head coaches.

Might be time for Jay to go. Let's someone else evaluate the athletic department.

this

They don't hear logical points like yours

I just find it hard to believe that most on this board have not sent their resume in to JJ. Without a doubt yall know more than any sec coach. And by the way, who would you hire to take Gus's job? Maybe Freeze?, Jones?, Beliema?,Spurrier, Richt? There are so many better coaches doing such a great job, I cannot understand why we don't just grab one of these!

Archived