What is the Auburn Problem?

Weegle777

Muschamp arrived to a train wreck on defense. The juniors and seniors in general are very undisciplined. Apparently unless the opposing o-line has to double team our rush end our d-line can't do much. Our linebackers save Garrett take plays off and are generally out of position to make plays. I will say all things considered our secondary is playing much better than last year.

CGM didn't go from an offensive genius to a complete idiot in an off season. If the sources here are reliable Lashlee is calling the plays. The play calling since the Louisville game has been very vanilla. I am pretty sure it was to give JJ confidence then help break in SW. The o-line has been underwhelming. This group has played enough games together at this point to gel. It hasn't happened as they struggled to open holes until they wore the SJS line down in the 4th quarter. The wr's are limited due to the vanilla play calling to protect the qb. The rb's have done pretty well considering the poor o-line play.

To sum it up it all starts in the trenches and until we get better line play on both sides of the ball we will continue to struggle on both sides of the ball.

Could this all stem from the reported lack of hitting in practice?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muschamp arrived to a train wreck on defense. The juniors and seniors in general are very undisciplined. Apparently unless the opposing o-line has to double team our rush end our d-line can't do much. Our linebackers save Garrett take plays off and are generally out of position to make plays. I will say all things considered our secondary is playing much better than last year.

CGM didn't go from an offensive genius to a complete idiot in an off season. If the sources here are reliable Lashlee is calling the plays. The play calling since the Louisville game has been very vanilla. I am pretty sure it was to give JJ confidence then help break in SW. The o-line has been underwhelming. This group has played enough games together at this point to gel. It hasn't happened as they struggled to open holes until they wore the SJS line down in the 4th quarter. The wr's are limited due to the vanilla play calling to protect the qb. The rb's have done pretty well considering the poor o-line play.

To sum it up it all starts in the trenches and until we get better line play on both sides of the ball we will continue to struggle on both sides of the ball.

Could this all stem from the reported lack of hitting in practice?

It likely starts there.

Like the old says goes, "You play how you practice"

If it wasn't for Chizik then we wouldn't know who Gus was. Not sure why people are so shocked that Gus is a failure....he was Chiziks guy. So it makes sense.

Consistency is to be admired, I suppose. One thing we can count on: If things take even the slightest turn for the worst YaBoyMaxWeezy will crawl out from under his trash heap and dump all over Auburn. When things take a turn for the better, MaxieBoy slithers away again. It's how he rolls.

If it wasn't for Chizik then we wouldn't know who Gus was. Not sure why people are so shocked that Gus is a failure....he was Chiziks guy. So it makes sense.

Consistency is to be admired, I suppose. One thing we can count on: If things take even the slightest turn for the worst YaBoyMaxWeezy will crawl out from under his trash heap and dump all over Auburn. When things take a turn for the better, MaxieBoy slithers away again. It's how he rolls.

Trolls.

We get pushed around in the trenches from the start of the game. This isn't a depth problem when it happens on the first series of plays.

Our zone defense is soft.

If San Jose doesn't turn the ball over and play lousy on special teams we lose again.

Gus had a trick formations, lots of eye candy movement and elite speed at the QB position.

After years all the SEC DC have figured the formations and eye candy movement out.

Without elite speed we can't run a zone read.

We are a running team with zero versatility and we have good players on the sidelines that should be playing.

Coaching no to lose is not the same as coaching to win

I was talking with someone this weekend that knows quite a few of the players. Short version is that many of them are more concerned about being popular and wearing the gear like a fashion statement vs actually playing. Guys that should be leaders are actually cancers in the locker room cause of their own egos and just wont respond to discipline. Basically need to do a purge of players which I think is coming at the end of the season.

Along the lines of player development, Gus, the resident offensive genius, did not know' :) JJ could not read defenses. He waited three games and six interceptions before pulling the plug on Johnson. Now he says he will wait before committing SW for the Kentucky game. And, if Roc and Jovon didn't get hurt in the season opener we wouldn't have known about Barber. I'm sure there are other examples.

This season will be as it will be.

As to the big reason, this maybe simplistic I do not believe that our AD/HC have the cold hearted determination to not accept anything but the best. I think it is culture, we do not set a standard of expecting all involved to accept nothing but a mutual support of the expectation of winning. That failure is not an option.

God, thank you Mikey. Was just reading through this out of boredom hoping for a ray of sanity. We are all disappointed but this vomiting about the lack of want to and expertise of the coaches and players seems juvenile to me. I agree we do not look like a very good team but there is still a lot of football to play and just don't see the point in dumping on the team before the season plays out. Hopefully they do not share the defeatist attitude of a lot of the posters. What we need now is an SEC road win. We have negative momentum at the moment and need to beat Kentucky and Arkansas - both of which seem possible if not likely to me - to write a different script by the end of the season.

The whole play-calling thing is the worst trope of all to me. You can draw up all kinds of amazing plays but if the team is not executing then it does not matter. Execution is partly on the coaches but we all saw JJ play the last two years and who would have thought that he would fall as flat as he did. They have had to re-jigger things in light of this unexpected fail and it may take a few games to get it right. I am betting that they do but I guess expecting things to get worse is another way to go.

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Weak a$$ fans.

You talking about the fans that buy tickets, travel great distances to fill the stadium, flood the campus on game day, sends their kids to Auburn to get an education and buy all the merchandise? Those fans? Yea, I guess it is unreasonable to expect your team to play well. I see what you mean now................

I'm talking about the fans who feel entitled to win every game (in just the right way, mind you) because they provide financial support to the university -- or even if they don't. Those fans are weak and need to go support a team that will come closer to their expectations -- like Bama (though even Saban is tiring of their attitude).

Fans who feel entitled -- regardless of their reason -- are weak fans. It's ignoble.

Fans who feel entitled because they paid for wins (by buying a ticket, for goodness' sake) are worse. That's cheap.

Fans who feel entitled to beat other teams by a certain amount and gripe after a win because they paid a certain amount for a wins by larger margins are even worse. They're tawdry.

Make up your mind.

Do you support Auburn because you love Auburn? Or do you expect wins (and by a certain amount) because you $upport Auburn?

If you are in the latter group, then I classify you as a weak a$$ fan. Personally, I'd rather all the latter group of fans take their $upport elsewhere. Then maybe they'd stop crapping all over the message boards when they don't get what they think they're entitle to because they paid for it.

Not bad....lots to consider there IMO.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Exactly! Our top three QB's were recruited pro style. How's that gonna work?

It seems every 3 years we change coaches, put in a bunch of freshmen and then ride them for 3-4 years. We suck for the 1st year. Get better the 2nd year. Do really well the the 3rd year.

Basically, we tend to "Rebuild" the team instead of "Reloading" the team. My thoughts on that is that the coaches are not developing talent that's sitting on the bench or at least driving home a culture of conpetition where those players drive themselves forward for playing time.

This is just one reason, but Malzahns offense needs a dynamic playmaker at QB who can run to be successful. Gus got two of those guys from the JUCO ranks (Newton, Marshall) but we haven't signed one out of high school. Defenses aren't concerned about our QBs running the ball right now, thus the zone read, and in turn our offense, doesn't work.

Gee, it would almost make one think the coaches want a pro style, outstanding passer at QB. You know, the kind of QB so many fans have been wanting to see running the Auburn offense.

Gee, it would almost make one think the coaches want a pro style, outstanding passer at QB. You know, the kind of QB so many fans have been wanting to see running the Auburn offense.

Ok, why have an outstanding passer and run the same offense only pass less? Why have an outstanding passer who is a smaller guy and run him like he is NM and dang near get him knocked unconscious?

Well, it looks like I missed a doozy of a game. How'd we do?

Peyton Barber had 5 TDs

Is that all you saw?

Peyton Barber had 5 TDs

Is that all you saw?

Obviously not. I've already posted in this thread and others what I saw.

Peyton Barber had 5 TDs

Is that all you saw?

Obviously not. I've already posted in this thread and others what I saw.

Well he asked how we did.. Are you sayin screw you to Chimes too?

I was participating in a wedding and didn't get to see any of our game. The only TV we had available was stuck on the UA/UGA game (so at least I got to watch some good football). I followed the game thread as much as possible but would still appreciate yalls view on what, exactly, went down.

Ok, why have an outstanding passer and run the same offense only pass less? Why have an outstanding passer who is a smaller guy and run him like he is NM and dang near get him knocked unconscious?

This. Any quarterback can work in this offense, but they have to by dynamic in some way. There's nothing wrong to being run first with a pro style quarterback, but there has to be a bit more balance and (I think more importantly) we have to throw downfield more to open up the run game. A major reason we are struggling on offense is that, when we do throw, it seems to mostly be within 10 yards of the LOS. The defenses that we face don't believe our qb can run against them, and don't think that we can throw deep, so they are just defending the perimeter and barber. I do think we should lean on Barber, but, until we can make defenses respect our quarterback in some way, the holes for barber just won't be there.

I was participating in a wedding and didn't get to see any of our game. The only TV we had available was stuck on the UA/UGA game (so at least I got to watch some good football). I followed the game thread as much as possible but would still appreciate yalls view on what, exactly, went down.

Well, let's see here . . . we ran the ball on 1st down. That was a definite trend I saw.

I will say what I said before. It is neither of the QB's fault. If you look at our WRs they are not getting open, and our line can not hold but so long. QBs are having to take shots when there is no real target. Look at the QBs that have been successful against AU. You will see wide open receivers. Their QBs just have to throw it in their direction to get a completion. Don't know if it's coaching, lack of quality players or just lack of hustle, But I do know if we don't get the passing game fixed we are going to get clobbered down the road. As far as defense, Will is making changes and starting new players. It may not show much yet but I believe he will be successful down the road. WDE

Archived