Breaking News....McCarthy Drops Bid to Be Speaker of House

Proud Tiger

Even if the hearings had been motivated by damaging Hillary, if she had been clean then it would have been a bonanza for her. She could have evoked sympathy and the Republicans would have looked like fools. With everything we've learned and continue to learn, that is what is hurting her. It's all self inflicted.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?” he told Hannity. “But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s un-trustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened . . . ”

Wow....reading into that can be tricky. His statement doesn't mean that the committee was created to take out Killary. It sounds more like an after affect more that a predetermined witch hunt.

Killary deserves what she's getting. She's a lying crook who deserves jail time.

That's the thing about context. He's clearly pointing out the political damage done to Hillary as an accomplishment. It's not very difficult to infer there is a political motivation in these hearing regardless of whatever merit is claimed.

But we can parse the statement forever and that won't change the message that is perceived by everyone - even Republicans.

As far as my not wanting folks to know the truth about Hillary, that's just BS. I support Bernie Sanders.

I don't think there's a damn thing behind the Benghazi accusations but I do think the email fiasco is damaging. However, it's not as damaging as the Hillary haters want to think. That's exactly why the Republicans are so desperate to comb through her email to find things they can use against her. Unless they find something big, this will likely come back to bite them politically.

As far as my not wanting folks to know the truth about Hillary, that's just BS. I support Bernie Sanders.

Not just you, Sherlock, but all the dog washers for Hillary & the Dem party.

I don't think there's a damn thing behind the Benghazi accusations but I do think the email fiasco is damaging. However, it's not as damaging as the Hillary haters want to think. That's exactly why the Republicans are so desperate to comb through her email to find things they can use against her. Unless they find something big, this will likely come back to bite them politically.

How do you possibly dismiss the known LIE The Admin & Hillary pushed about the attack bring about a video? They even made a PSA , which played in Pakistan - explain that one - where Obama & Hillary both apologized for the YouTube vid.

And already many big things have been found. The fact that Hillary has lied multiple times about top-secret correspondence being on her server is enough to damage her and possibly put her in jail.

“Everybody thought Hillary Clinton was unbeatable, right?” he told Hannity. “But we put together a Benghazi special committee, a select committee. What are her numbers today? Her numbers are dropping. Why? Because she’s un-trustable. But no one would have known any of that had happened . . . ”

Wow....reading into that can be tricky. His statement doesn't mean that the committee was created to take out Killary. It sounds more like an after affect more that a predetermined witch hunt.

Killary deserves what she's getting. She's a lying crook who deserves jail time.

That's the thing about context. He's clearly pointing out the political damage done to Hillary as an accomplishment. It's not very difficult to infer there is a political motivation in these hearing regardless of whatever merit is claimed.

But we can parse the statement forever and that won't change the message that is perceived by everyone - even Republicans.

You only infer if that's what you want to see or believe. In God we trust, all others bring facts.

Associated Press

Posted: Thursday, October 8, 2015, 1:08 AM

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Wednesday that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy "screwed up" when he suggested the probe was useful in driving down Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's poll numbers.

Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina told MSNBC that McCarthy, the leading candidate to be the next House speaker, has apologized.

Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Wednesday that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy "screwed up" when he suggested the probe was useful in driving down Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's poll numbers.

Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina told MSNBC that McCarthy, the leading candidate to be the next House speaker, has apologized.

He screwed up alright but he did not say "it was useful in driving down her poll numbers." She had done more of that on her own than any committee has.

Associated Press

He screwed up alright but he did not say "it was useful in driving down her poll numbers." She had done more of that on her own than any committee has.

You may want to read it again and then, stop commenting on this one. I do not know how it could be any more plain. Perhaps you can attack the source as a RINO or, not "conservative"?

I have watched it several times. You see it one way I see it another. You watch it and tell me the exact time he says what you say. What source should I attack. Is attacking someone civil? :dunno:

How do you possibly dismiss the known LIE The Admin & Hillary pushed about the attack bring about a video? They even made a PSA , which played in Pakistan - explain that one - where Obama & Hillary both apologized for the YouTube vid.

And already many big things have been found. The fact that Hillary has lied multiple times about top-secret correspondence being on her server is enough to damage her and possibly put her in jail.

I don't think they were lying. I think that is what they thought. And the PSA speaks for itself.

Yeah, and Bush and Cheney should be tried for war crimes.

You only infer if that's what you want to see or believe. In God we trust, all others bring facts.

Right. Me and everyone else in the world except you. Now who is it that is believing only what they want to? :rolleyes:

I have watched it several times. You see it one way I see it another. You watch it and tell me the exact time he says what you say. What source should I attack. Is attacking someone civil? :dunno:

Gowdy. He said it.

Trying to shift the topic on to Bush and Cheney still, Huh ? This is shows how much you love Hillary that you'll go to almost any lengths to distract the issue away from her and bring up a non-issue , a fairytale like "war crimes."

I don't think they were lying. I think that is what they thought. And the PSA speaks for itself.

They were lying, and it has been proven that they lied. Have you seen this PSA? What do you mean "it speaks for itself"? And why the Airinton Pakistan of all things? Libya is not Pakistan.

They were lying, and it has been proven that they lied. Have you seen this PSA? What do you mean "it speaks for itself"? And why the Airinton Pakistan of all things? Libya is not Pakistan.

OK let's assume they are lying. So what?

Associated Press

You didn't build that.

Trying to shift the topic on to Bush and Cheney still, Huh ? This is shows how much you love Hillary that you'll go to almost any lengths to distract the issue away from her and bring up a non-issue , a fairytale like "war crimes."

I think it's useful to interject a little perspective considering the hyperbole spewed here.

Gowdy. He said it.

Where did Gowdy say it? And you still can't give the time in the video where McCarthy said what you claim he said.

Gowdy. He said it.

Where did Gowdy say it? And you still can't give the time in the video where McCarthy said what you claim he said.

Partisan blindness is one thing, but that's just comical.

Gowdy. He said it.

I have never "claimed" McCarthy said anything. He said what he said. Republican leadership apologized. McCarthy apologized. You can attempt to spin but, there is nothing left to spin. McCarthy clearly highlighted the political benefits to the investigation. It was a serious mistake. You can defend by countering with the legitimate reasons for the investigation but, you cannot defend by the denial of reality. That attempt only serves to further undermine credibility and objectivity.

I quoted an article that quoted Gowdy in my original response. Are you reading before responding?

Then it begs the question why did they feel the need to do that. Could it possibly be to deflect attention away from their own incompetence? They were warned about attacks on the 9/11 anniversary. Stevens did ask for more security and never got it. Could it be because to admit it was a terrorist attack woukd be an admission that Al Qeada was not on the run as had been claimed. Could it also be to not have any questions asked about possible arms shipments? Normally when high ranking officials such as Secretary of State and even POTUS fabricate a story about an event like Benghazi, it's quite natural to wonder why. It is to anyone but a blind follower of the administration.

Gowdy. He said it.

I have never "claimed" McCarthy said anything. He said what he said. Republican leadership apologized. McCarthy apologized. You can attempt to spin but, there is nothing left to spin. McCarthy clearly highlighted the political benefits to the investigation. It was a serious mistake. You can defend by countering with the legitimate reasons for the investigation but, you cannot defend by the denial of reality. That attempt only serves to further undermine credibility and objectivity.

I quoted an article that quoted Gowdy in my original response. Are you reading before responding?

I think you got lost and are the one who needs to go back and read the thread. TexasTiger said in post #15 that "McCarthy admitted it." I challenged that and he couldn't provide where he said it. You jumped in with comments by Gowdy agreeing McCarty screwed up which I earlier agreed with. I'm not trying to spin any thing. Let me summarize:

1. McCarthy screwed up in the manner in which he made his comments but some are trying to infer something he didn't say and can't provide anything to back it up except the video which doesn't contain the alleged statement.

2. He is correct in his comments that Hillary's poll numbers have dropped....but they were dropping because of her own problem with the e-mails.

3. Gowdy's comments which you provided support my position that his committee is trying to find out the facts re. Benghazi and is not concerned with Hillary's poll problems.

Then it begs the question why did they feel the need to do that. Could it possibly be to deflect attention away from their own incompetence? They were warned about attacks on the 9/11 anniversary. Stevens did ask for more security and never got it. Could it be because to admit it was a terrorist attack woukd be an admission that Al Qeada was not on the run as had been claimed. Could it also be to not have any questions asked about possible arms shipments?

Yes, I believe that is exactly why, when offered the "protest" appraisal, they ran with it. It was politically expedient and convenient. It was cover for an act (actually inaction) that was, or at the very least could be used as a claim for, incompetence. It was particularly important because of the political timing. I am not sure that is a crime. I do believe it should be.

The cover of, "Congress cut funding for security", is political. The investigation is largely political, IMO.

There in lies the problem. Politics is much more important, a much higher priority, than honestly and effectively governing, for BOTH sides. It drives the rhetoric and the narratives essential for herding the sheep. It promotes partisanship and obstruction over cooperation and compromise.

Successful attacks on American "diplomatic" outposts are nothing new. Downplaying or exploiting for political purposes, lying in order to politically defend or attack, is quite possibly more tragic than the tragedy itself.

And again, for the thousandth time, the recent (and many historical) problems in government have absolutely nothing to do with ideology. They are not the inherent problems of government or even, "big government". The poor policy and, poor performance are the direct result of both party's willingness to surrender all pretenses of sincere and honest governing, working for the American people, in favor of playing politics, a game that is all about money and power. It is the game of self-serving politicians on both sides. It has nothing to do with statesmen, or public service, or promoting the general welfare.

For the most part, we have become fools and ideological idiots who only know politics from the perspective of a less than knowledgeable football fan. We follow the cheerleaders but, we do not understand the game.

Both parties are motivated by increasing THEIR power, not promoting the prosperity of our country. Those of us willing to unconditionally support narratives, ideologies, and/or parties, allow this to happen.

Honest and thoughtful political opposition is critical to our country and it's government but, what we have now is more in line with a counter government within the government. The counter government is not one party. It is both. WE the people, particularly the most partisan among us, make that possible. If the party is more important than the country, we will destroy the government and the country with it.

Archived