Auburn's Michael Johnson #1 Ranked College Golfer

augolf1716

Another first for Auburn golf. Michael is the first golfer in Auburn history to be ranked the #1 player in college golf. If my memory serves me correctly.

Congrats to Michael

All-SEC senior Michael Johnson is No. 1 in the Golfweek Men’s Collegiate Individual Rankings as the fall portion of the 2015-16 season comes to a close while Junior Will Long is No. 9. The Tigers are ranked No. 1 in the Golfweek Team Rankings.

Johnson, a Birmingham, Ala., native, had three top-five finishes in four events played in the fall. He won medalist honors for the third time of his career at the Primland Collegiate as he broke the 36-hole school record with a 15-under 64-65—129. His opening round 64 tied for the second-lowest round in school history.

“It’s a great feeling to be the No. 1 player in college golf right now,” Johnson said. “The bigger picture is that our team is No. 1 in the country. I’m much more proud of that. It’s so hard to get five guys to play well at the same time, and we have done that at about every tournament this fall. I’m excited for the spring and what this team can do in the postseason.”

Johnson, who is on the Haskins Award Watch List, finished runner-up at the Jerry Pate National Intercollegiate at 10-under 66-70-64—200 and tied for fifth at the U.S. Collegiate Championship at 5-under 70-72-69—211. He is averaging a team-best 69.00 strokes per round.

Archived