Staff Changes

fredst

I'd love to see what White could do if his coaches had confidence in him to not be a bandaid considering he was able to get 250 yards three games in a row with bad coaching and half a playbook. Imagine the possibilities :rolleyes:/>

He's the quarterback Auburn deserves...

Really to those who think the win-loss column is the reason Sean White shouldn't be our guy are not looking at the big picture. And I ask, what more could he have done? Tossed one up and catch it himself? Because Lord knows no one else has wanted to catch a ball except the running backs...

I agree with you, with Sean White we have a confident passing threat as long are receivers are a threat to catch the dadgum ball. Do that and the running game opens wide up without the need of a dual-threat quarterback.

Just gotta get him healthy.

Of course it would be great to have a passer like SW that could run like NM, but then we'd have Cam Newton again and that's just not happening next year or likely ever again. SW is an excellent passer. Others may be excellent runners. As long as our qb is excellent at one or the other we can win consistently. When they suck at both, well we've seen the results from more than one qb like this.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is hoping that our more than average injuries are behind us for awhile. With that said, decent QB play and Receiver play are both possible with the new additions on the way. Not the year to make wholesale coaching changes.

We know Horton put his name in the hat for a HC job. Anyone know how seriously they're considering him? Any other possibilities for him?

Pretty sure he's actively pursuing a small HC job.

I know that. I'm just wondering what the level of interest is from the school.

WR was weakest part of offense this year until QB got hurt. But some insist we need to promote our WR coach. Also I like JJ, but I personally think we would have had a better chance with a 90% SW than 100% JJ. The injury risk was too great I guess. Now on the Defensive side, it's my belief things improved when CWM just pushed CRL aside and took control of entire defense with Thompsons support. Garner probably became more of a cheerleader and mentor. I look for great improvement next year if Boom returns.

WR was weakest part of offense this year until QB got hurt. But some insist we need to promote our WR coach. Also I like JJ, but I personally think we would have had a better chance with a 90% SW than 100% JJ. The injury risk was too great I guess. Now on the Defensive side, it's my belief things improved when CWM just pushed CRL aside and took control of entire defense with Thompsons support. Garner probably became more of a cheerleader and mentor. I look for great improvement next year if Boom returns.

If SW had been 90%, he likely would have played. He was more like 50 at best.

It could be that Craig is a much better QB coach than he is a receivers coach.

Concerning Tim Horton and the North Texas St HC job, this info was on coachingsearch.com earlier today:

North Texas: The Denton Record-Chronicle reports TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and North Carolina assistant head coach for offense Seth Littrell are two of the top candidates for the North Texas head coaching job, but also that the search has not completely narrowed to those two. An unnamed Big 12 assistant told the paper UNT was set to contact him about the job.

Earlier this week Orlando media reported Will Muschamp as having interest in the UCF job. Here's today's info, same site:

UCF: Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers is expected to be named head coach at UCF, according to 247Sports, but USA Today's Dan Wolken reports a deal "isn't done." Babers tells the Toledo Blade that reports that he is taking the UCF job are inaccurate. Bowling Green plays in the MAC Championship on Friday.it

Just passing along the info...no estimates on the level of accuracy, though this is a pretty good site to check for College and Pro coaching moves.

Concerning Tim Horton and the North Texas St HC job, this info was on coachingsearch.com earlier today:

North Texas: The Denton Record-Chronicle reports TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and North Carolina assistant head coach for offense Seth Littrell are two of the top candidates for the North Texas head coaching job, but also that the search has not completely narrowed to those two. An unnamed Big 12 assistant told the paper UNT was set to contact him about the job.

Earlier this week Orlando media reported Will Muschamp as having interest in the UCF job. Here's today's info, same site:

UCF: Bowling Green head coach Dino Babers is expected to be named head coach at UCF, according to 247Sports, but USA Today's Dan Wolken reports a deal "isn't done." Babers tells the Toledo Blade that reports that he is taking the UCF job are inaccurate. Bowling Green plays in the MAC Championship on Friday.it

Just passing along the info...no estimates on the level of accuracy, though this is a pretty good site to check for College and Pro coaching moves.

Thanks for the info. Small correction: UNT is University of North Texas (not North Texas State).

If anyone thinks that a wide receivers coach can make players catch passes, they have never played a down of football and should just not post. Between RL and MR, they were disappointing to say the least.

If Auburn is going to run an offense with a pocket passer (like this year), Gus needs to let the QBs go train with bona fide QB gurus in the summer to hone their skills. If Auburn is going to run a option/read system with a running QB (Franklin?), keep the QB in house.

That said, the problem this year was not just QB. The receivers were just not very good. It was a total breakdown in the passing game. Yes, Auburn did well running in the opening half, but teams make adjustments. You gotta be able to pass well enough to keep the other defense honest and burn them a few times every game.

Is the problem at QB entirely on CRL and CGM? JJ had several wide open receivers against Bama -- WIDE open -- and he just flat missed them. When JJ is not reading defenses and going through progressions properly, that's on the coaching maybe. But missing throws to wide open receivers, that's on JJ, not the coaches.

Is the problem with the WRs entirely on CDC, or is it also a talent issue. Ray dropped two balls on that final drive that most any starting WR in the country would have made. Was that on CDC? I don't think so.

Auburn is not the only team that struggled on offense this year due to QB and WR problems.

My personal opinion is that Gus puts in receivers that are better blockers than receivers do to jet sweeps etc. The wheel routes that they run need to evolve, etc. Gus needs to adapt the offense to what years of tape have negated, does he have time as a head coach? I don't know, but the majority of us know what play we are going to do on almost every down and we are not getting paid millions of dollars to figure it out and make a game plan.

If Auburn is going to run an offense with a pocket passer (like this year), Gus needs to let the QBs go train with bona fide QB gurus in the summer to hone their skills. If Auburn is going to run a option/read system with a running QB (Franklin?), keep the QB in house.

That said, the problem this year was not just QB. The receivers were just not very good. It was a total breakdown in the passing game. Yes, Auburn did well running in the opening half, but teams make adjustments. You gotta be able to pass well enough to keep the other defense honest and burn them a few times every game.

Is the problem at QB entirely on CRL and CGM? JJ had several wide open receivers against Bama -- WIDE open -- and he just flat missed them. When JJ is not reading defenses and going through progressions properly, that's on the coaching maybe. But missing throws to wide open receivers, that's on JJ, not the coaches.

Is the problem with the WRs entirely on CDC, or is it also a talent issue. Ray dropped two balls on that final drive that most any starting WR in the country would have made. Was that on CDC? I don't think so.

Auburn is not the only team that struggled on offense this year due to QB and WR problems.

My personal opinion is that Gus puts in receivers that are better blockers than receivers do to jet sweeps etc. The wheel routes that they run need to evolve, etc. Gus needs to adapt the offense to what years of tape have negated, does he have time as a head coach? I don't know, but the majority of us know what play we are going to do on almost every down and we are not getting paid millions of dollars to figure it out and make a game plan.

Wait ... I'm not getting paid millions of dollars for this?!?!?!

:(

80Tiger, if Gus doesn't replace Lashlee, we'll see another 6-6 record in 2016.

IMO, we need to hire a knew Strength and Conditioning coach. The team has been very weak and they've been pushed around like they were nothing over the past 2 years because their not big and strong enough. Just take a look at the size of Alabama's players. Their OL, DL, DE's & LB's are freakin huge.

I think Yox did a better job then what Ryan has been doing.

Every single layer has grown under Russell, one of the best of the business. yox was so wanted he went to Rice.

If anyone thinks that a wide receivers coach can make players catch passes, they have never played a down of football and should just not post. Between RL and MR, they were disappointing to say the least.

Excellent point.

When rl is your best threat deep maybe recruiting is not on target. Who knows but it seems a possibility.

Heck I'm just sick and tired of losing to UGA and bama. Now add miss, ms state and arky to that list and it really stinks.

This staff seems to have big problem in coaching the players up and getting the very best out of them each and every week. This staff is getting paid lots of money to coach the guys up. But if they can't, then it's time that they be replaced with coaches who knows how to get the best (and even more) from the players on game days.

This staff seems to have big problem in coaching the players up and getting the very best out of them each and every week. This staff is getting paid lots of money to coach the guys up. But if they can't, then it's time that they be replaced with coaches who knows how to get the best (and even more) from the players on game days.

Fundamental develop, technique training, roster management is lacking. But Gus doesn't have a process for success established yet - he's still in the infant stages of the HC job.

Gus and company are capable of having a team improve week to week, they proved that in 2013. This season was weird because it seemed like whenever one side of the ball would take a step forward, the other would go back. By the end of the year it felt like the defense had finally come around (though giving up lots of yards) and offense just never got it going (Sean getting hurt didn't help). To me A&M was our most complete team game. Figured we'd keep it rolling from there, but then coaches played QB carousel against UGA and messed us up.

I would like to see us add someone new as OC or QB coach who hasn't been with Gus all along to serve as a 2nd opinion on things, but I'm also willing to give them one more year. Execution was lacking this year too. Lots of receiver drops to go along with iffy play calling.

*It's a strange situation as I think Gus' system is fine if executed properly, so I don't know how you'd bring in an outsider who would be more efficient than Rhett.

Be interesting to see if Gus lets his loyalty to his little buddy exceed his responsibility to his employee and players. If he does he deserves to be treated in the same manner as CTT and the BBQ gang.

+1

+1 again.

+1 again. You are on a roll.

I don't know if it was CDC, the WR talent, or the dysfunction (i.e, Duke Williams). But the passing game was a problem on the QB side, on the WR side, and on the OL pass blocking side.

I have to wonder if the a significant portion of the teams issues were in part due to the Duke Williams fiasco. Duke was JJ's roomate. That may have impacted JJ's mindset. It may have impacted the other WRs. It obviously eventually got to the OL (Xavier Dampeer).

I totally understand why Gus wanted Rhett to be his OC when he came on board. He was getting established as a head coach and needed someone who could run his offense without having to train them up. Now that he has several years in the system and knows the day-to-day of coaching the team, I have to wonder if he isn't thinking that it may be time to get someone in there to challenge him a bit. I don't know many "gurus" who aren't all about seeking out ways to improve their skills/creations. Rhett is never going to be that guy for Gus, because all he has ever seen is Gus's system. Getting someone in there with their own successful system and finding ways to merge to two into something even better would be something I think Gus would really be interested in.

Oh... and for everyone who is calling for Gus to "let" his QBs train with an outside expert, keep in mind that the QBs parents have to pay for it. Not every QB can afford that luxury.

I totally understand why Gus wanted Rhett to be his OC when he came on board. He was getting established as a head coach and needed someone who could run his offense without having to train them up. Now that he has several years in the system and knows the day-to-day of coaching the team, I have to wonder if he isn't thinking that it may be time to get someone in there to challenge him a bit. I don't know many "gurus" who aren't all about seeking out ways to improve their skills/creations. Rhett is never going to be that guy for Gus, because all he has ever seen is Gus's system. Getting someone in there with their own successful system and finding ways to merge to two into something even better would be something I think Gus would really be interested in.

Oh... and for everyone who is calling for Gus to "let" his QBs train with an outside expert, keep in mind that the QBs parents have to pay for it. Not every QB can afford that luxury.

If grimes retires he might give Herb Hand another try. they had a system at Tulsa like you referred to.

Archived