John Franklin III

RunInRed

He's wait and see like any other player...people being upset at the thought of him playing qb is funny though

These are the SW fans. The same people who like to call other JJ fans. I just want open competition and let the best man win. I like SW, but not enough to say he should be given the starting job next year.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next year's starting QB needs to be whom ever takes it. And, by "takes it", I mean whom ever steps up, raises his hand, and says "get behind me, I will lead this team". It sounds like Franklin is stepping in that direction. This year's team seriously lacked leadership and it will take someone stepping up and saying, "You can count on me to do my part" to get the offense clicking again.

Is JF III the same QB that isn't even starting for his JUCO team? This is an honest question.

EMCC had a starter in 2014 who played very well and returned for 2015. JFIII was a backup QB at FSU in 2014 and this was his first and only year at EMCC. Yes he was the backup. No, it's not because he wasn't talented enough to be a starter. He just chose to go somewhere nearby since he only planned to be there a year before getting back to FBS level.

So his mindset wasn't "I'll compete and do everything I can to win the starting job, put up great numbers and get big time programs come knocking on my door to be their DT QB?"

I'm not saying you're we in it just surprises me he wouldn't try to compete and show FSU what they missed out on and what other big time programs to reap the rewards of.

Who said he didn't compete? They knew he'd only be there a year so they let the other guy keep playing.

Interesting they didn't have that same mindset when Cam and Nick were obvious one-and-done and on top of that, Nick came in as a DB transfer.

Just say you don't want him to come compete as qb and be done with it man lol. All of this indirectness. What is more interesting is the fact that the coaching staff feels the need to bring in a 2nd string QB from the JUCO ranks to compete for the starting job.

I think what they are looking for is someone who offers the possibility of being the kind of quarterback that can run all aspects of this offense. They are taking a chance on him, not guaranteeing him anything. The HS quarterbacks that are coming in this year and next are DT guys so I'm guessing they are thinking maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle again and then have these other guys ready to go in a couple of years. He could end up at receiver with Sean throwing to him. Just looking at all options here.

He could, but he wasn't recruited for that purpose, Alas Jason Smith. A lot of people try to make that similarity, but he was sought out as a serious threat to run the offense.

Is JF III the same QB that isn't even starting for his JUCO team? This is an honest question.

EMCC had a starter in 2014 who played very well and returned for 2015. JFIII was a backup QB at FSU in 2014 and this was his first and only year at EMCC. Yes he was the backup. No, it's not because he wasn't talented enough to be a starter. He just chose to go somewhere nearby since he only planned to be there a year before getting back to FBS level.

So his mindset wasn't "I'll compete and do everything I can to win the starting job, put up great numbers and get big time programs come knocking on my door to be their DT QB?"

I'm not saying you're we in it just surprises me he wouldn't try to compete and show FSU what they missed out on and what other big time programs to reap the rewards of.

Who said he didn't compete? They knew he'd only be there a year so they let the other guy keep playing.

Interesting they didn't have that same mindset when Cam and Nick were obvious one-and-done and on top of that, Nick came in as a DB transfer.

Just say you don't want him to come compete as qb and be done with it man lol. All of this indirectness. What is more interesting is the fact that the coaching staff feels the need to bring in a 2nd string QB from the JUCO ranks to compete for the starting job.

I never said that, I just don't understand why he didn't get significant playing time at QB in junior college if we expect him to come in and compete for the starting job at a major program in the SEC. I want him or SW or JJ or whoever they get at the helm to be wildly successful. Besides his speed, I'm trying to figure out what it is that says he could be the guy.

I never said that, I just don't understand why he didn't get significant playing time at QB in junior college if we expect him to come in and compete for the starting job at a major program in the SEC. I want him or SW or JJ or whoever they get at the helm to be wildly successful. Besides his speed, I'm trying to figure out what it is that says he could be the guy.

That is the point of bringing him in to compete. If he doesn't pan out, then as others have said he can as an athlete. You were given an explanation as to why he was in his circumstance and that wasn't good enough for you or it wasn't an adequate answer for you. However, we have SW, TQ, Woody and this guy competing for the job next year. All bring in unique attributes. Clearly, Sean will have the upper hand with game experience. We will just have to see.

But I am curious as to the fact that the coaches went out their way to bring this guy in to compete for the starting QB position at a major college.

I think what they are looking for is someone who offers the possibility of being the kind of quarterback that can run all aspects of this offense. They are taking a chance on him, not guaranteeing him anything. The HS quarterbacks that are coming in this year and next are DT guys so I'm guessing they are thinking maybe they can catch lightning in a bottle again and then have these other guys ready to go in a couple of years. He could end up at receiver with Sean throwing to him. Just looking at all options here.

He could, but he wasn't recruited for that purpose, Alas Jason Smith. A lot of people try to make that similarity, but he was sought out as a serious threat to run the offense.

Oh I know what he was recruited for. He'll be given the chance to win the starting qb job. My only point is that if he doesn't do that, he could move somewhere else. I think he's too good of an athlete to keep on the sidelines holding the clipboard. One of the other guys can serve as the backup qb.

That is the point of bringing him in to compete. If he doesn't pan out, then as others have said he can play the athlete. You were given an explanation as to why he was in his circumstance and that wasn't good enough for you or it wasn't an adequate answer for you. However, we have SW, TQ, Woody and this guy competing for the job next year. All bring in unique attributes. Clearly, Sean will have the upper hand with game experience. We will just have to see.

It's not that the answer wasn't good enough, sometimes follow up questions are a healthy part of the discussion instead of just an "oh, ok!!" I'm trying to develop a deeper understanding of the situation he was in and what he's bringing to the table for us.

I saw your edit and that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out: what the coaches saw or are seeing.

At 6'1" and 183lbs I worry about his durability throughout a season in the SEC.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the running quarterback / zone read offense. We were lucky that Cam and NM never got seriously injured but with this kind of offense, the team is one injury away from being back to square one.

So glad to find this forum and WDE!

glad you are liking it

Just don't get lured into the sewage part of the site that is the pol(idiot)itical forum. ;D

That is the point of bringing him in to compete. If he doesn't pan out, then as others have said he can play the athlete. You were given an explanation as to why he was in his circumstance and that wasn't good enough for you or it wasn't an adequate answer for you. However, we have SW, TQ, Woody and this guy competing for the job next year. All bring in unique attributes. Clearly, Sean will have the upper hand with game experience. We will just have to see.

It's not that the answer wasn't good enough, sometimes follow up questions are a healthy part of the discussion instead of just an "oh, ok!!" I'm trying to develop a deeper understanding of the situation he was in and what he's bringing to the table for us.

Bro, it is not rocket science. He brings the DT-QB aspect to Gus's offense. He is reminiscent of NM. When he was at FSU, they used him as a NM replicate. He even speaks about what he can bring to the offense in the article. It doesn't go deeper than that. Now, will he play like NM? No clue.

Agreed. I am not a fan of the running quarterback / zone read offense. We were lucky that Cam and NM never got seriously injured but with this kind of offense, the team is one injury away from being back to square one.

So glad to find this forum and WDE!

glad you are liking it

Just don't get lured into the sewage part of the site that is the pol(idiot)itical forum. ;D

I'm about ready to hang it up over there. It's ridiculous now.

Bro, it is not rocket science. He brings the DT-QB aspect to Gus's offense. He is reminiscent of NM. When he was at FSU, they used him as a NM replicate. He even speaks about what he can bring to the offense in the article. It doesn't go deeper than that. You are looking for a zebra, when a horse is right in front of you. Now, will he play like NM? No clue.

So you are curious but question my curiosity? Gotcha.

No reason he can't put on some weight once he gets here in the winter and spring

That will slow him down some. He could lose a step and still be very fast though. The key may be how well he can throw.

I also worry about breaking in a very inexperienced qb. He hasn't played much anywhere.

However, I think we need a very healthy qb competition, and I hope the coaches are ready to callgame plans aggressively around both types of qb's. I can see this guy getting hurt easily if he comes in under 200 lbs. SW already missed significant time this year. We need plans a,b,c, and d ready to go before the first snap of game 1 next year, lol.

Bro, it is not rocket science. He brings the DT-QB aspect to Gus's offense. He is reminiscent of NM. When he was at FSU, they used him as a NM replicate. He even speaks about what he can bring to the offense in the article. It doesn't go deeper than that. You are looking for a zebra, when a horse is right in front of you. Now, will he play like NM? No clue.

So you are curious but question my curiosity? Gotcha.

No, I am not curious at all. I am basically telling you, the confidence you have in SW is NOT shared by the coaching staff. HENCE, why they are bringing in Franklin to compete for the job right away in hopes that he can replicate what NM did for the offense. It is that simple.

No reason he can't put on some weight once he gets here in the winter and spring

That will slow him down some. He could lose a step and still be very fast though. The key may be how well he can throw.

I also worry about breaking in a very inexperienced qb. He hasn't played much anywhere.

However, I think we need a very healthy qb competition, and I hope the coaches are ready to callgame plans aggressively around both types of qb's. I can see this guy getting hurt easily if he comes in under 200 lbs. SW already missed significant time this year. We need plans a,b,c, and d ready to go before the first snap of game 1 next year, lol.

^^This^^

dude supposedly runs a faster 10 yd dash than McCalebb. I'm okay with him losing a step

hell if he lost 3, he'd still be several times faster than any QB we have right now

That is the point of bringing him in to compete. If he doesn't pan out, then as others have said he can as an athlete. You were given an explanation as to why he was in his circumstance and that wasn't good enough for you or it wasn't an adequate answer for you. However, we have SW, TQ, Woody and this guy competing for the job next year. All bring in unique attributes. Clearly, Sean will have the upper hand with game experience. We will just have to see.

But I am curious as to the fact that the coaches went out their way to bring this guy in to compete for the starting QB position at a major college.

My bad, when you said you were curious I thought that meant you were curious. :-)

dude supposedly runs a faster 10 yd dash than McCalebb. I'm okay with him losing a step

hell if he lost 3, he'd still be several times faster than any QB we have right now

Thank you master of the obvious that I even mentioned in my post.

My bad, when you said you were curious I thought that meant you were curious. :-)

I was being facetious to the fact that you kept referencing that he is a 2ND STRING QB at the JUCO RANK. Yet, the coaches feel that this 2nd string QB can compete with SW, A Major conference QB. Sorry no sarcasm button on this thing.

I was being facetious to the fact that you kept referencing that he is a 2ND STRING QB at the JUCO RANK. Yet, the coaches feel that this 2nd string QB can compete with SW, A Major conference QB. Sorry no sarcasm button on this thing.

Gotcha.

Regardless, We'll have Sean White, Woody Barrett, Tyler Queen (barring a healthy recovery), and JF3 competing for the starting QB job next season. That's a positive.

Regardless, We'll have Sean White, Woody Barrett, Tyler Queen (barring a healthy recovery), and JF3 competing for the starting QB job next season. That's a positive.

I'd be very surprised to see Barrett get the job. My guess is they plan to redshirt him next season. I really want to see what Tyler can do if he's healthy.

I'd be very surprised to see Barrett get the job. My guess is they plan to redshirt him next season. I really want to see what Tyler can do if he's healthy.

Early Enrolee, runs same offense at his high school, smart kid. Not saying that he'll win the job, but he'll compete IMO. Agree on TQ, would've been nice to see what he could've done this year.

Uptake is there may be sufficient talent around to bang'em up enough, to see what they're really made of.

(and a better D' to perform the test)

Archived