John Franklin III

RunInRed

I agree with you about MSU. It makes you wonder what the heck they were doing with him in practice if they didn't have that confidence in him.

I think they entered the year expecting JJ to be the awesome machine he was predicted to be. When they had to bench him after game 3, I think that threw everything out of whack. I don't think they intended Sean White to play anything other than mop-up duty this year, and had confidence to match when they ended up having to rely on him at first.

If that's true then it's horrible preparation on the coaches part. Time and time again this year we've seen starting QB's get benched or hurt and the backup(s) come in game ready.

We say that, and it should be true. However, look at Florida's offense without their QB, or Georgia without Nick Chubb (or a QB), or LSU when Fournette is contained. Everyone expected JJ to be as advertised. Remember last year? It was frequently mentioned in game broadcasts that JJ could start anywhere else, and was the best backup QB in the country. Add Duke Williams to the mix as well. When the Heisman candidate struggles, and the #1 receiver is a non-factor (and gets kicked off the team early), you end up with what we had.

You can add overrated to that. The only "proven" playmakers we had returning were Duke and Roc. The rest of the hype was on potential. I don't remember ever seeing that much hype surrounding so many unproven players. Then when the only 2 proven playmakers are either kicked off the team or injured, and your expected Heisman qb folds up like a tent, and your hope to replace your NFL WR from last year turns out to drop half the passes, and you get an Olineman injured in the first game and have to switch everything around, then your backup qb comes in and things begin to improve, but he gets hurt, and your 3rd string qb get the news that he had to have surgery 2 weeks into the season so you either play your 4th string you feel sure won't win a game for you or you go back to your Heisman hopeful, and he still doesn't pull it together...you can see where 6 losses comes in to play.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

It looks good to me. Let me pull out my writers handbook

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about Franklin and SW, but let's not forget about Queen. I know he played against our backups on defense..still, I like his grit. He is a big dude and would be hard to bring down. Obviously doesn't have the breakaway speed but does seem to be a little slippery.

I agree with you about MSU. It makes you wonder what the heck they were doing with him in practice if they didn't have that confidence in him.

I think they entered the year expecting JJ to be the awesome machine he was predicted to be. When they had to bench him after game 3, I think that threw everything out of whack. I don't think they intended Sean White to play anything other than mop-up duty this year, and had confidence to match when they ended up having to rely on him at first.

If that's true then it's horrible preparation on the coaches part. Time and time again this year we've seen starting QB's get benched or hurt and the backup(s) come in game ready.

We say that, and it should be true. However, look at Florida's offense without their QB, or Georgia without Nick Chubb (or a QB), or LSU when Fournette is contained. Everyone expected JJ to be as advertised. Remember last year? It was frequently mentioned in game broadcasts that JJ could start anywhere else, and was the best backup QB in the country. Add Duke Williams to the mix as well. When the Heisman candidate struggles, and the #1 receiver is a non-factor (and gets kicked off the team early), you end up with what we had.

You can add overrated to that. The only "proven" playmakers we had returning were Duke and Roc. The rest of the hype was on potential. I don't remember ever seeing that much hype surrounding so many unproven players. Then when the only 2 proven playmakers are either kicked off the team or injured, and your expected Heisman qb folds up like a tent, and your hope to replace your NFL WR from last year turns out to drop half the passes, and you get an Olineman injured in the first game and have to switch everything around, then your backup qb comes in and things begin to improve, but he gets hurt, and your 3rd string qb get the news that he had to have surgery 2 weeks into the season so you either play your 4th string you feel sure won't win a game for you or you go back to your Heisman hopeful, and he still doesn't pull it together...you can see where 6 losses comes in to play.

How's that for a run-on sentence?

I don't really disagree with it, but that was the most painful sentence I have ever read in my life.

Back to JF 3, it's said that Coach Craig had some knowledge of his abilities by recruiting him for FSU. That may be the reason we're giving him a shot even though he didn't win the starting QB job in JUCO.

Item 2: What do you think every recruit we contact is told? "You haven't got a prayer of seeing the field"? No, they are ALL led to believe, with some truth in the statement, that if they are better than the competition they will start. The fly in that ointment is the question of how long it might take them to be better than the competition.

Item next: 6'1", 183 pounds is fine size for a WR and this Franklin kid is said to be extremely fast! (That's in case, you know, he doesn't beat out the other QB's for the starting, backup, or scout team jobs)

Back to JF 3, it's said that Coach Craig had some knowledge of his abilities by recruiting him for FSU. That may be the reason we're giving him a shot even though he didn't win the starting QB job in JUCO.

Item 2: What do you think every recruit we contact is told? "You haven't got a prayer of seeing the field"? No, they are ALL led to believe, with some truth in the statement, that if they are better than the competition they will start. The fly in that ointment is the question of how long it might take them to be better than the competition.

Item next: 6'1", 183 pounds is fine size for a WR and this Franklin kid is said to be extremely fast! (That's in case, you know, he doesn't beat out the other QB's for the starting, backup, or scout team jobs)

Yeah Mikey, but the difference here is whether or not Rhett told him we want him because our O works better with a running qb. If he did, I don't see how that"s not bad business when your current syatter is a pocket passer who had to be promised an offense designed around his skills, not one that needed a running qb to really work.

Item 4: It is well documented that you already have made up in your mind he is going to be a WR on the plains. We were having a great come together moment.

I haven't made up my mind. I do hold out the possibility that Franklin could win the QB job. However, I'd put the probability of that happening at about 10%.

I do hope the QB job is completely fair and open competition this year. It was not last spring and it bit us. Everyone seemed to be OK with closed competition then at certain positions like QB and LT, but no one wants any position to be closed this year (a good thing). I'm thinking JJ goes into spring No.1 again unless you guys have heard or know something that I'm not aware of. Don't expect him to stay No. 1 very long but spring practice is a long ways off.

The fact that Franklin "didn't win the starting QB job in JUCO" really isn't a relevant point of discussion for the sheer fact that his JUCO wasn't running an offense that would be anything similar to the offense that we'd draw up in the scenario in which we did hypothetically envision him as our starting QB. EMCC isn't a run heavy read-option offense; therefore it really isn't surprising at all that Franklin didn't start, especially considering the fact that their already existing starter was playing very well (65% completion rate, 25 TD to just 2 INT). If Franklin does indeed win the starting job next season, you know exactly what type of offense we'll be rolling out.

I'm a proponent of Sean White starting next season as well, but I'm not naive enough to look past the fact that Gus Malzahn was incredibly rattled all season long and is undoubtedly coaching for his job next year. With his job on the line, it really isn't absurd at all to suggest that he'd heavily consider going back to what he KNOWS he can make work...and that is bringing in an explosive running QB and pairing him with what should be dynamic running options and hopefully two solid fullbacks who will continue to improve. Even if Sean White is legit, our receiving core which was outright garbage all season long is going to go into next year with big question marks. You need receiving options for Sean White to thrive...who are you relying on here? Jason Smith and two kids that have never played a snap (Slayton and Kyle Davis)? Its a lot of risk, and don't think for a second that Gus Malzahn isn't seriously questioning his ability to develop a passing quarterback/receiving game after the mess that took place this past season

Everybody might as well get ready for the fireworks once Franklin enrolls. The way this staff works, we won't know who the starter is until the offense takes the field against Clemson come September 3rd.

Everybody might as well get ready for the fireworks once Franklin enrolls. The way this staff works, we won't know who the starter is until the offense takes the field against Clemson come September 3rd.

That is a good thing. Leave Clemson guessing in preparing for two totally different QBs. I hope Malzahn puts his freaking Poker face on all summer and spring. We get through the Clemson game ( who am I kidding?) and we have the opportunity to build up a lot of momentum with a long home stretch.

That is a good thing. Leave Clemson guessing in preparing for two totally different QBs. I hope Malzahn puts his freaking Poker face on all summer and spring. We get through the Clemson game ( who am I kidding?) and we have the opportunity to build up a lot of momentum with a long home stretch.

Indeed....I predict for next season: We will not see glowing reports during spring or fall practices about how great our QB's are performing ....and no glowing predictions from coaches that this team will be very good...... and fewer complaints from posters on this board about how the media disrespects Auburn when we are not in the pre-season top 10.

Perhaps....just perhaps....coaches and fans will be more willing to let things play out on the field before making lofty projections.

I think we are heading back to Nick Marshall type of offense. I just hope we pass a little better its hard to recruit elite WR when the QB throws 7 passes like we did versus Tennessee under Marshall.

I think we are heading back to Nick Marshall type of offense. I just hope we pass a little better its hard to recruit elite WR when the QB throws 7 passes like we did versus Tennessee under Marshall.

You can't pick out a single game as a reflection of Nick Marshall passing game. In 2014 we threw 340 passes for over 2900 yds. If that is a Nick Marshall offense along with his running abilities, I will take that and many a WR recruit will also.

The thing that bothers me is here comes another year we will go into with no clue who the QB will be. Not only that but there's a pretty good chance this is another year we will begin the season with a QB who has few if any SEC starts. Granted with someone like Cam or Nick it's possible to succeed but just not sure how many more of them there are. Sure wish we could find and recruit a QB we could count on for a few years.

You can't pick out a single game as a reflection of Nick Marshall passing game. In 2014 we threw 340 passes for over 2900 yds. If that is a Nick Marshall offense along with his running abilities, I will take that and many a WR recruit will also.

While that is true and those are good numbers, they came at the expense of not running a true option like in 2013. But man did that guy have an arm.

But I still cannot get the image out of my head of wide open WRs watching the ball fall just out of reach...

Archived