Players leaving

bmartin3228

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coleman is being predicted to be a late 1st round pick and has already completed his masters. My bet is he will not be back.

Agreed. If he's projected as a first round, he should go. Cancer survivor, masters degree, big bucks on the table, he's proven everything he needs to.

Coleman is being predicted to be a late 1st round pick and has already completed his masters. My bet is he will not be back.

Mcshay released his first round mock draft and he doesn't project Shon as a first rounder.

Mcshay released his first round mock draft and he doesn't project Shon as a first rounder.

i am cautious about the first round prediction. If true he should go. Needs to be a legit source.

i am cautious about the first round prediction. If true he should go. Needs to be a legit source.

Thankfully, our players apply for draft grades from the scouts before they have to make their decision. If our players had to rely on mock drafts from Kiper or Mcshay, or any of the other so called experts, they would be screwed.

SDS had this to say about a few of Auburn's players:

Auburn: Defensive tackle Montravius Adams appears bound for the second or third round. The same can’t be said of defensive end Carl Lawson, who should stick around to prove he can stay healthy and improve his draft stock but probably won’t. Avery Young should stay on the Plains; he might not be one of the first 12 offensive tackles who are selected. Safety Johnathan “Rudy” Ford would also help himself by also sticking around.

OL Will Adams,Who announced to transfer weeks ago, is going to Boise St.

Good for him! It should be a great experience in a new place.

Yep.....got his degree and chance to see a new part of the country....and play some football too. Hope it works out well for him.

Lawson should stay and learn to finish a sack. He gets there and comes up empty more than anyone i can ever recall.

I agree he definitely should stay, but the miss tackles is due to all the games he has missed. I expect to see a different Lawson on Dec. 31 one similar to what we witnessed first half of the Louisville game.

Lawson should stay and learn to finish a sack. He gets there and comes up empty more than anyone i can ever recall.

I agree he definitely should stay, but the miss tackles is due to all the games he has missed. I expect to see a different Lawson on Dec. 31 one similar to what we witnessed first half of the Louisville game.

He missed a whole season before the Louisville game.

^ weird thing is that even with a spring and fall it will take us a month into the season to figure out how to operate the offense to it's highest potential. And we can't afford that next year considering our opponents.

Not if we have a quarterback and he's the same guy in a live game situation that he was in practice, IMO.

As much as I want to buy into this, Gus didn't know what Marshall's strengths were until 3.5 games into the '13 season. Even though publically NM said his favorite part of the offense was the zone read because he was good at it. I'll give him a pass on that one because NM missed the spring prior to the '13 season. However with Cam freaking Newton he had a full spring and Gus still didn't really know what kind of beast he had on his hands until game 4. This worries me. No ill intent towards you I'm just frustrated that we had possibly the best QB in modern NCAA history and we could've missed out on winning a national title if we don't get a few breaks to go our way in the Miss St and Clemson games of 2010.

No ill intent perceived!

As Barnacle said, almost no offense clicks on all cylinders right out of the gate, especially with a new quarterback. In Cam's case, we were having to install a completely new offense after having a totally different kind of QB the previous season. I'm not sure that Gus was supposed to know exactly how Cam would react in every situation thrown at him during a game ahead of time. And, in hindsight, it's almost unbelievable what Cam accomplished. Even after watching him in practice, was Gus supposed to know that Cam would be that good, or that he could actually sustain the physical toll of running the ball like he did over a season? I don't think so. Also, Gus- who, I'll remind you, was 4 years removed from high school ball- needed to kick the tires on all facets of his offense. Don't forget that his RB1 was a true freshman. And, as alexava points out, he had a boss to answer to.

If Sean is a healthy QB1 going into next season, then I will expect a pretty sharp offense against Clemson. If our QB is someone else, then I'll expect some miscues. If "miscues" means "3 inexplicable interceptions", then I might be hitting that eject button before Labor Day.

Edit: Oh, and Tiger... we DID win that title! Be happy!

All your points are valid I'm just finding myself being pessimistic the past few days. And you're right Gus couldn't have known what exactly Cam would've brought to the table on game days from practice between Cam's playing style and the theme of protecting the QB in practice. But it took 4 games to call the O that put Cam on the Heisman talk and I just don't think we have that luxury next season. It seems like Gus has a base offense and he adjusts slightly for a month until the team's identity is found. And I am eternally grateful that we did win the natty in 2010. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the Chizik holding Gus back theory anymore though. Our offensive tempo since Gus came back seems to be on par with when people point to Chizik putting the breaks on Gus' offense. But all the new parts of that 2010 offense combined with a whole offensive overhaul due to personnel changes does make sense. IDK I can see both sides of it but also the way Sean White was handled was poor as well. It seemed like they had no idea what the kid was capable of, or incapable of, before inserting him into the game. I get wanting to protect the freshman QB but other schools have no problem putting up stats with new QBs. You don't have to look much further than what backup/first time starting QBs do to AU seemingly all the time lol. I understand nothing is ever as clear as black and white and there are a whole set of circumstances to each situation. I just need something positive to happen haha.

The AU defense will be something special to behold. Ability to run hunh and have an experienced passing game to go with it. Need a good d c hire to bring it all together. JMHO

They ALL stay @ AU. Just gotta hunch. Time will tell.

I don't think any of the guys being discussed will be given first 3 round grades. In fact, Coleman and Young are late round talents at best. Lawson has been so injury prone that even though he probably has first round talent I don't know that teams would want to take a chance on him. Ford is still learning to play defense even though his measurables would be great because of his elite speed. Of all of those I think Young may be the most likely to declare. All should stay, especially Lawson. With a year like he is capable of having he could jump into the first round a get enough guaranteed money to be set for life.

Auburn: Defensive tackle Montravius Adams appears bound for the second or third round. The same can’t be said of defensive end Carl Lawson, who should stick around to prove he can stay healthy and improve his draft stock but probably won’t. Avery Young should stay on the Plains; he might not be one of the first 12 offensive tackles who are selected. Safety Johnathan “Rudy” Ford would also help himself by also sticking around.

I wouldn't take anything SDS says as truth or credible...

I sure hope these 'draft grades' don't end up distracting our players for the bowl game. :)

Seriously though, you have to be happy for Shon. Best of luck to the fine young man...and to Will and Montravious too.

Auburn: Defensive tackle Montravius Adams appears bound for the second or third round. The same can't be said of defensive end Carl Lawson, who should stick around to prove he can stay healthy and improve his draft stock but probably won't. Avery Young should stay on the Plains; he might not be one of the first 12 offensive tackles who are selected. Safety Johnathan "Rudy" Ford would also help himself by also sticking around.

Agree 100%. I don't click on his links. Why bother when the site is full of unfounded BS?

Auburn: Defensive tackle Montravius Adams appears bound for the second or third round. The same can't be said of defensive end Carl Lawson, who should stick around to prove he can stay healthy and improve his draft stock but probably won't. Avery Young should stay on the Plains; he might not be one of the first 12 offensive tackles who are selected. Safety Johnathan "Rudy" Ford would also help himself by also sticking around.

Agree 100%. I don't click on his links. Why bother when the site is full of unfounded BS?

And so much of it is written specifically to stir up sh**. I had UGA fans asking me how happy or sad they should be about their new DC Will Muschamp b/c of an SDS article.

First off, Shon still has eligibility? Second if he does decide to come back for another year he either needs to pick up a second bachelor or start working on a doctoral program...

First off, Shon still has eligibility? Second if he does decide to come back for another year he either needs to pick up a second bachelor or start working on a doctoral program...

Yes, he's got 2 years of eligibility left. And all he has to do is take enough hours to be considered a full time student. Matt Leinart famously stayed his last year and took ballroom dancing-type classes just so he could be the biggest celebrity in LA for another year. Can't blame the thought process, except the football part of it didn't go as well as he'd hoped and it cost him a lot of money.

Yes, he's got 2 years of eligibility left. And all he has to do is take enough hours to be considered a full time student. Matt Leinart famously stayed his last year and took ballroom dancing-type classes just so he could be the biggest celebrity in LA for another year. Can't blame the thought process, except the football part of it didn't go as well as he'd hoped and it cost him a lot of money.

shon played sparingly #37" in '13 and started '14&'15. He has one year left.

shon played sparingly #37" in '13 and started '14&'15. He has one year left.

Ahh, that's right. So forget the first 8 words of my response and keep the rest :)

Young and Coleman are the only two players that I'm told are leaving.

I should know better than to be optimistic at this point, but I'm starting to feel about as good as possible about not having a DC going into the Birmingham Bowl.

Archived