Players leaving

bmartin3228

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't doubt it

Why should J Johnson stay? He is obviously not a QB under Gus' system (or maybe anyone else's system for that matter) and he is not a TE or WR. So why stay around?

wde

Regarding the debate as to whether JJ's meltdown is Gus's fault, I wouldn't be as skeptical of Gus's coaching ability if Kiehl Frazier hadn't done the EXACT same thing. So far, Gus hasn't developed a QB out of high school in the SEC, which could be bad for QB recruiting. Now, he could end up developing one, he just hasn't yet. All the more reason the next two years are going to be career-defining for him.

I actually DO think that Jeremy might do well at some other position. He has the build of a tight end. Heck, it couldn't hurt to try linebacker. Just my $.02.

Regarding the debate as to whether JJ's meltdown is Gus's fault, I wouldn't be as skeptical of Gus's coaching ability if Kiehl Frazier hadn't done the EXACT same thing. So far, Gus hasn't developed a QB out of high school in the SEC, which could be bad for QB recruiting. Now, he could end up developing one, he just hasn't yet. All the more reason the next two years are going to be career-defining for him.

I actually DO think that Jeremy might do well at some other position. He has the build of a tight end. Heck, it couldn't hurt to try linebacker. Just my $.02.

LB, Really? He doesn't seem to have the instincts or physicality to come close to playing LB. Plus, he is like 6'5. How many 6'5 LBs do you know?

As far as TE, You have to actually be able to run routes and catch the football. Maybe he can catch, who knows? but he seems to be super uncoordinated when he runs. That does not bode well for route running,especially coming off jams.

Yes, CGM inherited a Baller when he got Chris Todd (whom I recall the fans booing the previous year) who set passing records at AU. However, for some reason CGM never gets credit for that one as for some reason it does not count because he was not out of HS, LOL.

^I applaud Chris Todd's effort, and yes he dramatically improved, but remember that we still went 8-5 in '09 and 3-5 in the SEC, which included losses to all our big rivals. In SEC play we averaged 25 points per game, which was a major improvement from the '08 debacle, but nowhere near where we need to be to compete with the big boys. I appreciate the 2009 team, as it set up for the NC team, but it was a starting point and not a finish line--that is, it should not be considered our benchmark of success.

I think we really could find a position for JJ to do well in. If not, best of luck to him at ASU.

I think when people sell Gus short on his QB development ability they forget that Auburn is not the only place he has ever coached. At other places he has had great QB's who have produced great numbers.

I think when people sell Gus short on his QB development ability they forget that Auburn is not the only place he has ever coached. At other places he has had great QB's who have produced great numbers.

Which ones?

I'm not sure what folks expected from CGM regarding Frazier's QB development. Gus had access to him for a total of four months, and he was a third-string true freshman.

WDE!

Gus has not (in my eyes) developed a QB. That is including Chris Todd. Chris Todd came from Texas Tech and he was who he was when Gus took over. Gus schemes around the players that is on his roster and does a very good job at it. This is including Paul smith at Tulsa, who threw for over 2,000 years two years straight before Gus got there. You can add Ryan Aplin to that list as well. He threw for over 3,000 yards his JR year and close to 3,000 his sophomore year. Where Gus shines is his magnitude to maximize his QB talents around his playcalling. He is the very best at that. As far as developing a QB, I still haven't seen concrete evidence of this. I know I will be called everything from a turd to not being an auburn man for this opinion, but I am trying to be objective.

EDIT: I will throw in NM as development before Foundation comes in here.

I agree, there has not been any indication of development, none of the quarterbacks played the position with similar fundamentals that would show signs of development from, ball position, footwork, etc.

And I am sure somebody is going to point out how much Paul leaped from the previous years individually. That credit goes to Gus and Todd. That was vintage playcalling and I think you have to get as much credit to Todd as well. When Gus left the next year and Paul graduated, David Johnson stepped in and threw for over 4000 yards and close to 50 TDs. Gus works best with another offensive mind to challenge him, IMO. Iron sharpens Iron.

LB, Really? He doesn't seem to have the instincts or physicality to come close to playing LB. Plus, he is like 6'5. How many 6'5 LBs do you know?

As far as TE, You have to actually be able to run routes and catch the football. Maybe he can catch, who knows? but he seems to be super uncoordinated when he runs. That does not bode well for route running,especially coming off jams.

Ahem... There are a few. Though I'll give you that we are few and in between. But well TE, depends, I don't think he is uncoordinated, but in the pocket there seemed to be some issues with being comfortable. Thing is, we don't use TEs anyways at Auburn so that would be a bit of a waste.

You don't be a Mr basketball in the state and you're uncoordinated

Another point.. If you look at last year's games, he definitely was not uncoordinated with his moves, this year, most of that seemingly uncoordinated movement came from being somewhat unsure of himself from what it seemed.

I don't think Gus and Rhett is unable to develope any QB. Cam and Nick were born to be QB's, so they didn't need coaching up because they already had what it took.

Another point.. If you look at last year's games, he definitely was not uncoordinated with his moves, this year, most of that seemingly uncoordinated movement came from being somewhat unsure of himself from what it seemed.

that is a big BINGO!

Call it whatever you want to call it, Either way, he was very awkward and clumsy when he was running unless it was in a straight line. It looked horrible in the open field at times. Chalk it up to nerves, being timid, whatever. For somebody who is Mr. Basketball, he literally has no lateral movement.

Ahem... There are a few. Though I'll give you that we are few and in between. But well TE, depends, I don't think he is uncoordinated, but in the pocket there seemed to be some issues with being comfortable. Thing is, we don't use TEs anyways at Auburn so that would be a bit of a waste.

I never said there weren't any 6'5 LBs, just like I am sure there are some 5'9 QBs somewhere, but there aren't very many who are prominent. I think they may be 10 6'5 LBs in the NFL and how many of them are actually relegated to the LB position? Julius Peppers is 6'7.

that is a big BINGO!

That is what I saw as well. Someone who was gun-shy in the passing game and never committed to scrambling after he hesitated to pass. So it looked like he had cement feet.

Don't doubt it

Why should J Johnson stay? He is obviously not a QB under Gus' system (or maybe anyone else's system for that matter) and he is not a TE or WR. So why stay around?

wde

If that's true (and I'm inclined to believe it is), why should he leave? If he's not going to play anywhere else, he can stay at Auburn and not play here. Considering he's going to finish the season no worse than 1B on the depth chart, and has more questions than answers behind him going into spring camp, he might decide to give it one more try. Couldn't hurt to have another senior leader around preaching team over self.

WDE!

Karlos Dansby was listed at 6'5", I believe.

that is a big BINGO!

It was clearly that. He had plays where he ran around bought time and made throws....He fumbled either against jax st or LSU. I don't think it was ruled a fumble but after that he was through.

Archived