Players leaving

bmartin3228

Maybe "scared" is too harsh. Maybe not. All I know is that every time he left the pocket and didn't have a clear path to the endzone, he was hesitant, he was running straight up, and looked to avoid contact/get out of bounds the quickest way possible, even though it meant that we didn't get the first down and had to punt. Many of these runs could have gotten us the 1st down, but would have resulted in JJ taking a hit. He chose the sidelines instead of the hit. Can't say I blame him, but one of the jobs of a good QB is to move the chains. Sometimes, that means you gotta take one for the team. I didn't see this from JJ at all this season.

or maybe the coaches knew that after the other kid got hurt if jj gets hurt then we are pretty much out of options. to question if jj is a coward or not is an insult to the kid. i am thinking maybe for whatever reason they put too much on jj and it confused him. that is just my own two cents and i do not claim to be an expert.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cadillac had a lot of trouble staying healthy until his senior year, too. Sometimes injury issues are chronic and other times they're just bad luck. (Says the guy who recently argued against comparing Roc to Caddy.)

Posted by Roc around 7 pm

@xRoct9: I can't even post on ig.. I gotta delete it 30 mins later. oh how we love to assume

Good to hear. He is our second best RB IMO.

I think Roc starts the spring off as the 4th string RB unless somebody gets hurt. He may be #2 or #3 in potential, but he's clearly #4 in terms of what he's contributed on the field. Barber, Robinson, Johnson all did more for the team this season.

I think he may start there, but within a week, he'll be back at #2 with Robinson at #1. Barber will be #3, unless he improves his vision. I think Gus looks at Johnson in an entirely different category, as more of a multi-purpose player/wildcat QB.

I honestly think Roc's lack of playtime was primarily because he was not 100% for most of the season, and because we needed a bruiser in there when we were ineffective in all other areas of our offense.

@xRoct9: I can't even post on ig.. I gotta delete it 30 mins later. oh how we love to assume

I think Roc starts the spring off as the 4th string RB unless somebody gets hurt. He may be #2 or #3 in potential, but he's clearly #4 in terms of what he's contributed on the field. Barber, Robinson, Johnson all did more for the team this season.

I think he may start there, but within a week, he'll be back at #2 with Robinson at #1. Barber will be #3, unless he improves his vision. I think Gus looks at Johnson in an entirely different category, as more of a multi-purpose player/wildcat QB.

I honestly think Roc's lack of playtime was primarily because he was not 100% for most of the season, and because we needed a bruiser in there when we were ineffective in all other areas of our offense.

agree on all points

One thing that will be different next year is Auburn will have JF3 coming in and the offense may not have a wildcat QB. Even if JF3 doesn't start, the wildcat QB will be his position. Therefore, Johnson will be in the RB rotation along with his multi-purpose role. This is just my opinion.

In regards to Cowart it would be no benefit to him to transfer. He already said he would leave after 3 years and had each school plan for it academically. He played a good bit as a freshman at a D 1 school. He won't choose to sit out a year anywhere if he transferred which means he would have to lower divisions. So might as well stay.

He's going to need to be getting consistent snaps first before thinking about going pro early imo

One thing that will be different next year is Auburn will have JF3 coming in and the offense may not have a wildcat QB. Even if JF3 doesn't start, the wildcat QB will be his position. Therefore, Johnson will be in the RB rotation along with his multi-purpose role. This is just my opinion.

Could be, but even when Gus has dual-threat QBs, he will still plug in the wildcat. Burns and Reed were wildcats during 2010, and Kiehl Frazier was the wildcat in 2013.

True, Lion. However, in Gus' latest version (Nick Marshall) there was little or no wildcat. There is a lot to be determined in the spring and fall. It should be fun to watch.

^ weird thing is that even with a spring and fall it will take us a month into the season to figure out how to operate the offense to it's highest potential. And we can't afford that next year considering our opponents.

^ weird thing is that even with a spring and fall it will take us a month into the season to figure out how to operate the offense to it's highest potential. And we can't afford that next year considering our opponents.

Not if we have a quarterback and he's the same guy in a live game situation that he was in practice, IMO.

Not if we have a quarterback and he's the same guy in a live game situation that he was in practice, IMO.

Right, and every team goes through growing pains in the first game or two. Don't get me wrong, offenses that are returning a lot of starters at key positions, especially at quarterback won't suffer as much, but even those teams take some time to "reach their fullest potential."

As much as I want to buy into this, Gus didn't know what Marshall's strengths were until 3.5 games into the '13 season. Even though publically NM said his favorite part of the offense was the zone read because he was good at it. I'll give him a pass on that one because NM missed the spring prior to the '13 season. However with Cam freaking Newton he had a full spring and Gus still didn't really know what kind of beast he had on his hands until game 4. This worries me. No ill intent towards you I'm just frustrated that we had possibly the best QB in modern NCAA history and we could've missed out on winning a national title if we don't get a few breaks to go our way in the Miss St and Clemson games of 2010.

I think Roc has just been under-utilizied some parts because of injury some parts because of QB/offensive identity issues. I think if he's healthy he stands a good chance to be implemented in a speed back like position.

The problem with a lot of our guys not getting touches is we never had sustained drives. It's hard for all of our young skill players to reach their potential if we don't have the offensive snaps to spread the ball around which was the case this season.

As much as I want to buy into this, Gus didn't know what Marshall's strengths were until 3.5 games into the '13 season. Even though publically NM said his favorite part of the offense was the zone read because he was good at it. I'll give him a pass on that one because NM missed the spring prior to the '13 season. However with Cam freaking Newton he had a full spring and Gus still didn't really know what kind of beast he had on his hands until game 4. This worries me. No ill intent towards you I'm just frustrated that we had possibly the best QB in modern NCAA history and we could've missed out on winning a national title if we don't get a few breaks to go our way in the Miss St and Clemson games of 2010.

i don't think gus figured out we could run the zone read i think he saw we needed to lean more on it due to passing game inefficiencies. Turned out we were built for it. I think he did know what Cam could do, he just had to convince chizik to sign off on it.

No ill intent perceived!

As Barnacle said, almost no offense clicks on all cylinders right out of the gate, especially with a new quarterback. In Cam's case, we were having to install a completely new offense after having a totally different kind of QB the previous season. I'm not sure that Gus was supposed to know exactly how Cam would react in every situation thrown at him during a game ahead of time. And, in hindsight, it's almost unbelievable what Cam accomplished. Even after watching him in practice, was Gus supposed to know that Cam would be that good, or that he could actually sustain the physical toll of running the ball like he did over a season? I don't think so. Also, Gus- who, I'll remind you, was 4 years removed from high school ball- needed to kick the tires on all facets of his offense. Don't forget that his RB1 was a true freshman. And, as alexava points out, he had a boss to answer to.

If Sean is a healthy QB1 going into next season, then I will expect a pretty sharp offense against Clemson. If our QB is someone else, then I'll expect some miscues. If "miscues" means "3 inexplicable interceptions", then I might be hitting that eject button before Labor Day.

Edit: Oh, and Tiger... we DID win that title! Be happy!

No ill intent perceived!

As Barnacle said, almost no offense clicks on all cylinders right out of the gate, especially with a new quarterback. In Cam's case, we were having to install a completely new offense after having a totally different kind of QB the previous season. I'm not sure that Gus was supposed to know exactly how Cam would react in every situation thrown at him during a game ahead of time. And, in hindsight, it's almost unbelievable what Cam accomplished. Even after watching him in practice, was Gus supposed to know that Cam would be that good, or that he could actually sustain the physical toll of running the ball like he did over a season? I don't think so. Also, Gus- who, I'll remind you, was 4 years removed from high school ball- needed to kick the tires on all facets of his offense. Don't forget that his RB1 was a true freshman. And, as alexava points out, he had a boss to answer to.

If Sean is a healthy QB1 going into next season, then I will expect a pretty sharp offense against Clemson. If our QB is someone else, then I'll expect some miscues. If "miscues" means "3 inexplicable interceptions", then I might be hitting that eject button before Labor Day.

Edit: Oh, and Tiger... we DID win that title! Be happy!

All your points are valid I'm just finding myself being pessimistic the past few days. And you're right Gus couldn't have known what exactly Cam would've brought to the table on game days from practice between Cam's playing style and the theme of protecting the QB in practice. But it took 4 games to call the O that put Cam on the Heisman talk and I just don't think we have that luxury next season. It seems like Gus has a base offense and he adjusts slightly for a month until the team's identity is found. And I am eternally grateful that we did win the natty in 2010. I'm not sure if I subscribe to the Chizik holding Gus back theory anymore though. Our offensive tempo since Gus came back seems to be on par with when people point to Chizik putting the breaks on Gus' offense. But all the new parts of that 2010 offense combined with a whole offensive overhaul due to personnel changes does make sense. IDK I can see both sides of it but also the way Sean White was handled was poor as well. It seemed like they had no idea what the kid was capable of, or incapable of, before inserting him into the game. I get wanting to protect the freshman QB but other schools have no problem putting up stats with new QBs. You don't have to look much further than what backup/first time starting QBs do to AU seemingly all the time lol. I understand nothing is ever as clear as black and white and there are a whole set of circumstances to each situation. I just need something positive to happen haha.

Question is, when did this cycle begin? If we win a championship next year, we can say 2008. This would be more satisfying, byt 2009 may be the more likely case.

2009=the okay year

2010=the great year

2011=the bad year (we were 8-5

but should have been 4-8)

2012=the bad year

2013=the great year

2014=the okay year

2015=(hopefully) the bad year

2016=the okay year?

2017=the next great year?

This is all in good fun. Either way, one of the next three years should include an SEC rite run. :)/>

Question is, when did this cycle begin? If we win a championship next year, we can say 2008. This would be more satisfying, byt 2009 may be the more likely case.

2009=the okay year

2010=the great year

2011=the bad year (we were 8-5

but should have been 4-8)

2012=the bad year

2013=the great year

2014=the okay year

2015=(hopefully) the bad year

2016=the okay year?

2017=the next great year?

This is all in good fun. Either way, one of the next three years should include an SEC rite run. :)/>

We can only hope

Roc Thomas just retweeted a quote from Gus saying that rumors of him transferring are completely false.

Good to hear.

Roc's a good kid. He has progressed a good bit from last season. Just had some injury issues this year. I hope he eats well over the holidays and the offseason, and throws around the weights a little.

We'll need his services next year.

Archived