Players leaving

bmartin3228

Young and Coleman are the only two players that I'm told are leaving.

That sucks. We really need one of these 2 to stay in order to prevent a major drop off next year

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That sucks. We really need one of these 2 to stay in order to prevent a major drop off next year

Leff was more than adequate filling in for Young. We'll miss Coleman, but we won't miss either nearly as much as we'd miss Lawson and/or Adams.

Leff was more than adequate filling in for Young. We'll miss Coleman, but we won't miss either nearly as much as we'd miss Lawson and/or Adams.

Yep. Leff at one tackle spot with Smith at the other. Horton to take Smith's spot at guard.

Coleman's best years are ahead of him...but he's pretty old for a college junior and I can see that he might be ready to move along though it sure would be nice to have him one more year....I think he would be an AA if the team has good success.

SDS had this to say about a few of Auburn's players:

Auburn: Defensive tackle Montravius Adams appears bound for the second or third round. The same can't be said of defensive end Carl Lawson, who should stick around to prove he can stay healthy and improve his draft stock but probably won't. Avery Young should stay on the Plains; he might not be one of the first 12 offensive tackles who are selected. Safety Johnathan "Rudy" Ford would also help himself by also sticking around.

I wouldn't take anything SDS says as truth or credible...

Agree 100%. I don't click on his links. Why bother when the site is full of unfounded BS?

And so much of it is written specifically to stir up sh**. I had UGA fans asking me how happy or sad they should be about their new DC Will Muschamp b/c of an SDS article.

Well when it comes to certain things such as a player or coach deciding to leave it is always opinionated until the coach or player comes out and says something. None of these guys mention as of now is being projected as first rounders but Montre, Carl, and Avery definitely have first round talent.

Yep. Leff at one tackle spot with Smith at the other. Horton to take Smith's spot at guard.

10-4, thanks.

Good depth behind them, too. I just hope we have a capable OL coach this season.

I don't blame anyone for leaving, BUT i wouldn't leave if I were any of them. Draft grades are a joke. Pretty sure Darvin Adams was lead to leave early based off of his.

I don't blame anyone for leaving, BUT i wouldn't leave if I were any of them. Draft grades are a joke. Pretty sure Darvin Adams was lead to leave early based off of his.

Darvin Adams had a family to feed. Also, 2011 was a crap year for our offense and would have done nothing to make him more ready for the NFL. He was as ready as he was going to get at Auburn.

If you have a longer list of draft grade failures- one that suggests that they have a success rate <= 50%- that would support your argument better.

Darvin Adams didn't ever have a high draft grade, and there aren't any stories of a guy who was told that he was a top 3 round pick and he wasn't drafted

Darvin Adams had a family to feed. Also, 2011 was a crap year for our offense and would have done nothing to make him more ready for the NFL. He was as ready as he was going to get at Auburn.

If you have a longer list of draft grade failures- one that suggests that they have a success rate <= 50%- that would support your argument better.

darvin also could not have had a more productive year. He was not a speed guy so his stock only could have gone down.

I am only hearing great things about Horton!

Leff will be an adequate OT, but his ceiling isn't very high.

I am hoping that Darius James or one of our RSFr will be studly!

The good news is, we have several options and 9 months until the season starts.

On offense or total? If total, our DL could be great next year! :)

Getting Ford back would be a good thing, too. Fingers crossed.

I am a fan of an NFL team, but I hate the rule that allows a redshirt Sophomore to declare for the draft. That needs to change imo. I also think the NCAA should change their own rule and allow a player that declares but does not get drafted to come back to the team if he still has eligibility.

Having said that, unless our underclassmen (Coleman, Young, Adams, Lawson, Robinson) are fairly sure of being round 1 or 2 picks where there is guaranteed money, or 'maybe' a round 3 pick if the contract is good enough, I would hope they don't declare.

Why should a guy lose a year of getting paid just because his coach redshirted him? If true juniors are eligible, redshirt sophomores should be too.

Why should a guy lose a year of getting paid just because his coach redshirted him? If true juniors are eligible, redshirt sophomores should be too.

Unfortunately, that's the way a lot of players look at it. They aren't losing anything, they are postponing. Their career can be just as long no matter when they come out. The question they need to ask is, can they gain enough more from the college experience to be patient for another year. Unfortunately, many answer that question wrong, because all they see is dollar signs. Coleman has nothing more to gain. I would argue that the same can't be said for Young.

I agree with that.

I also agree with IronMan, though, that the "once you declare you're done" rule seems unfair. Is that to protect the coaches, so that they aren't waiting until April to know what their roster would look like?

While it is a rare thing that a redshirt Sophomore declares, ie. a Greg Robinson type, I think there are a couple reasons.

First, I think the coaches will be more motivated to send a Freshman out there too early so they can get some use out of him, especially if they think he will be a good one later. That is not always the best thing for some of these late bloomers. But if the coaches know the players won't be taken from them, they are more likely to let them develop first.

Second, if the player is developed as a redshirt Freshman or is injured and goes through rehab, the school has a lot invested in that player to only get 2 years of playing time out of him. I don't see the NFL reimbursing the schools for the cost that was incurred in developing or rehabbing a player during that redshirt year. That can be very costly especially in the case of an injury. No, the NFL is just allowed to come down and pluck out some of the best young players on the team after they play 2 years.

Third, it seems to me that because of the above 2 issues, the fair thing to do is change the draft rule from, "eligible for the NFL draft 3 years after High School graduation" to "eligible for the NFL draft after 3 years of college eligibility have been used."

That's just my opinion but anyway, that's why I hate redshirt Sophomores being draft eligible.

I am a fan of an NFL team, but I hate the rule that allows a redshirt Sophomore to declare for the draft. That needs to change imo. I also think the NCAA should change their own rule and allow a player that declares but does not get drafted to come back to the team if he still has eligibility.

Having said that, unless our underclassmen (Coleman, Young, Adams, Lawson, Robinson) are fairly sure of being round 1 or 2 picks where there is guaranteed money, or 'maybe' a round 3 pick if the contract is good enough, I would hope they don't declare.

He technically can if he does not hire an agent I believe. But I am with you and wish they would change something to help the student athlete.

That needs to change imo. I also think the NCAA should change their own rule and allow a player that declares but does not get drafted to come back to the team if he still has eligibility.

That would be great, but the only way it will work is if they move the draft to before signing day, so teams know how many slots they have to fill. I'm sure teams would raise all kinds of heck about having to evaluate players almost 3 months faster, and on the other side, colleges would be none to happy about having to wait longer for signing day.

McDoofus

I'm impressed every single time somebody goes that route. You'd think it would have gotten old a few dozen times ago, but it didn't. High five!

Well, I know what I'll be calling you from now on!

Archived