Players leaving

bmartin3228

That needs to change imo. I also think the NCAA should change their own rule and allow a player that declares but does not get drafted to come back to the team if he still has eligibility.

That would be great, but the only way it will work is if they move the draft to before signing day, so teams know how many slots they have to fill. I'm sure teams would raise all kinds of heck about having to evaluate players almost 3 months faster, and on the other side, colleges would be none to happy about having to wait longer for signing day.

Yep, we would need to work on that timing thing or maybe create a "bump" rule. If a player doesn't get drafted he can be put back on the team but if you are already at the 85 limit, a Freshman can be bumped to the scout team without counting against the 85 rule. I bet they could figure it out.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I feel this should answer all unanswered questions about Shon Coleman. He has no reason to risk a career ending injury by staying. Besides he is 24, he has his degree, and will be a high draft pick. End of 1st to 2nd round is good when he hasn't shown his abilities in the combined; he can easily climb up and be a 1st rounder. But applause to all the graduates.

A total of 32 student-athletes graduated from Auburn last weekend, 18 of which were football players, according to a press release sent out by the university:

OL Will Adams — Building science

OL Shon Coleman* — Public administration

OL Xavier Dampeer — Public administration

OL Devonte Dazney* — Public administration

DB TJ Davis — Pre-electrical engineering

LB Kenny Flowers — Public administration

LB Kris Frost — Professional flight management

TE Brandon Fulse — Public administration

LB Justin Garrett* — Interdisciplinary studies

DL Keymiya Harrell* — Public administration

DB Jonathan Jones — Business administration

K Duncan McKinney — Entrepreneurship

LB Cassanova McKinzy — Public administration

LB JaViere Mitchell — Fitness, conditioning and performance

DL Tyler Nero — Public administration

OL Aubrey Phillips*

LB Daniel Pond — Interdisciplinary studies

QB/WR Jonathan Wallace — Physical education

*Graduate degree

McDoofus

I'm impressed every single time somebody goes that route. You'd think it would have gotten old a few dozen times ago, but it didn't. High five!

Well, I know what I'll be calling you from now on!

dfsg.jpg

The players have so much more at stake than the school, and no, the notion that your professional career can be the same length regardless of your entry date is patently untrue. Every player has an expiration date. For some it's 10 years. For others it's 1 year, but it's a finite amount of time for every player. It's an absolute fact that every year spent in school is a year off that total. No possible debate.

The question then is whether the marginal gain in earnings by an improved draft stock outweighs the marginal loss of leaving without a degree and forfeiting a year of pay. Time has value. If a guy plays fullback and has a mid-round grade, go pro. You won't become a first or second rounder. You've maximized your initial earnings. But if a guy is a Left Tackle projected in the third but with room to develop, he should probably come back. The gap between first and third round money is wide, and he has the potential to land a contract that could eclipse the value of his first two years on the third round rookie deal. Stay in school. If you're unlikely to reach a second contract, the value of your degree increases. Stay in school.

Obviously there are non-monetary considerations as well, and that plays a big role (see Matt Leinart). Still, the economics of it are plan as day. Every year spent playing college ball without a fairly significant increase in draft stock is a year of lost money that you'll never make up in your working life (because your working years are also finite). Staying in school is a gamble. I'm good with the NFL setting an age limit because it's a violent sport, and age is a rudimentary but effective tool to ensure physical development (it prevents buys from being hurt by men), but there's nothing the player owes the school and no question that waiting drags down a player's income in most cases.

The players have so much more at stake than the school, and no, the notion that your professional career can be the same length regardless of your entry date is patently untrue. Every player has an expiration date. For some it's 10 years. For others it's 1 year, but it's a finite amount of time for every player. It's an absolute fact that every year spent in school is a year off that total. No possible debate.

The question then is whether the marginal gain in earnings by an improved draft stock outweighs the marginal loss of leaving without a degree and forfeiting a year of pay. Time has value. If a guy plays fullback and has a mid-round grade, go pro. You won't become a first or second rounder. You've maximized your initial earnings. But if a guy is a Left Tackle projected in the third but with room to develop, he should probably come back. The gap between first and third round money is wide, and he has the potential to land a contract that could eclipse the value of his first two years on the third round rookie deal. Stay in school. If you're unlikely to reach a second contract, the value of your degree increases. Stay in school.

Obviously there are non-monetary considerations as well, and that plays a big role (see Matt Leinart). Still, the economics of it are plan as day. Every year spent playing college ball without a fairly significant increase in draft stock is a year of lost money that you'll never make up in your working life (because your working years are also finite). Staying in school is a gamble. I'm good with the NFL setting an age limit because it's a violent sport, and age is a rudimentary but effective tool to ensure physical development (it prevents buys from being hurt by men), but there's nothing the player owes the school and no question that waiting drags down a player's income in most cases.

Good post -- plan as day.

:poke:

^It'd be quite damning to Gus if all these players go pro, combined with how much of our roster from last year went to the NFL. If he couldn't win with all that talent the last two years, how's he going to improve without it?

^It'd be quite damning to Gus if all these players go pro, combined with how much of our roster from last year went to the NFL. If he couldn't win with all that talent the last two years, how's he going to improve without it?

I don't see that, much like I don't really see how it's damning to Gus if assistant coaches or support personnel move on. I think it speaks volumes in his favor. JMO.

Why should a guy lose a year of getting paid just because his coach redshirted him? If true juniors are eligible, redshirt sophomores should be too.

While it is a rare thing that a redshirt Sophomore declares, ie. a Greg Robinson type, I think there are a couple reasons.

First, I think the coaches will be more motivated to send a Freshman out there too early so they can get some use out of him, especially if they think he will be a good one later. That is not always the best thing for some of these late bloomers. But if the coaches know the players won't be taken from them, they are more likely to let them develop first.

Second, if the player is developed as a redshirt Freshman or is injured and goes through rehab, the school has a lot invested in that player to only get 2 years of playing time out of him. I don't see the NFL reimbursing the schools for the cost that was incurred in developing or rehabbing a player during that redshirt year. That can be very costly especially in the case of an injury. No, the NFL is just allowed to come down and pluck out some of the best young players on the team after they play 2 years.

Third, it seems to me that because of the above 2 issues, the fair thing to do is change the draft rule from, "eligible for the NFL draft 3 years after High School graduation" to "eligible for the NFL draft after 3 years of college eligibility have been used."

That's just my opinion but anyway, that's why I hate redshirt Sophomores being draft eligible.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree. A player declaring early and drafted high is to the Coaches benefit with future recruits. The main goal of a recruit is to be a pro, the more you get in the NFL and the faster you develop it, the more enticing your program becomes.

Why should a guy lose a year of getting paid just because his coach redshirted him? If true juniors are eligible, redshirt sophomores should be too.

While it is a rare thing that a redshirt Sophomore declares, ie. a Greg Robinson type, I think there are a couple reasons.

First, I think the coaches will be more motivated to send a Freshman out there too early so they can get some use out of him, especially if they think he will be a good one later. That is not always the best thing for some of these late bloomers. But if the coaches know the players won't be taken from them, they are more likely to let them develop first.

Second, if the player is developed as a redshirt Freshman or is injured and goes through rehab, the school has a lot invested in that player to only get 2 years of playing time out of him. I don't see the NFL reimbursing the schools for the cost that was incurred in developing or rehabbing a player during that redshirt year. That can be very costly especially in the case of an injury. No, the NFL is just allowed to come down and pluck out some of the best young players on the team after they play 2 years.

Third, it seems to me that because of the above 2 issues, the fair thing to do is change the draft rule from, "eligible for the NFL draft 3 years after High School graduation" to "eligible for the NFL draft after 3 years of college eligibility have been used."

That's just my opinion but anyway, that's why I hate redshirt Sophomores being draft eligible.

I understand what your saying, but I disagree. A player declaring early and drafted high is to the Coaches benefit with future recruits. The main goal of a recruit is to be a pro, the more you get in the NFL and the faster you develop it, the more enticing your program becomes.

I hear you. But the redshirt Sophomores that are good enough to get drafted are your cream of the crop players that happened to developed early. If they had to wait a year, they would still go out early but it would just be with the other redshirt Juniors. The program would still have the same number declaring early for the NFL and the same enticement for recruits.

At least then the schools would be able to have them play for 3 years before they leave. The NFL is already using the colleges to fund the cost of developing their players as it is. I just think they can do without redshirt Sophomores for 12 months.

Really? You can't imagine HOW a team could send a lot of players to the NFL in one year and still have a bad record without the coach being incompetent? It all depends on what positions these NFL quality players play and their supporting cast of non NFL guys. You can have a team full of NFL offensive skill players, but if you OL stinks, you are going to lose a lot of games.

You can have NFL quality QB, but if receivers can't catch, you, have the results of an Average QB and Vice Versa. Make JJ the best alternative at QB at UAT or any other school and see what their record is.

You can have 5 NFL ready DB's, but if you DL can't stop the run, your defense is going to stink. If all of your NFL talent is on one side of the ball and you are pathetic on the other side (as we have been many times in the past 30 years, Defensively with CTT and offensively with CGM ) then you are going to lose games.

Fortunately, this "Damning of Gus Because of the number of players who went to the NFL" is typical Football Fan Forum Logic and not the type of analysis used by people who have the authority to make actual hiring and firing decisions. These are the type posts AD's and College presidents ignore when they look to sites like this for advice and insight on how to run a football program.

I'm more concerned about transfers. Seems like we have a lot of big-time players transferring this year ,especially QBs. And more every year. Sign of the times I guess. I'm worried about several of our players. If Gus is up front with everyone and I think he is, we could have a problem. Hope not of course.

Good for Shon. If they're going to leave, I'd like for them to be first round. Just think--if Shon went first round, combined with Greg Robinson being second pick two years ago, it would REALLY attract quality OTs.

^What makes you think Carl returns?

What makes you think he doesn't? What has Lawson done outside of 2013 to really prove how good he is? I'm not saying he isn't probably our best player, but as an NFL Scout, you have no idea if the guy can do it. Who knows, but hope he comes back.

Well I feel this should answer all unanswered questions about Shon Coleman. He has no reason to risk a career ending injury by staying. Besides he is 24, he has his degree, and will be a high draft pick. End of 1st to 2nd round is good when he hasn't shown his abilities in the combined; he can easily climb up and be a 1st rounder. But applause to all the graduates.

A total of 32 student-athletes graduated from Auburn last weekend, 18 of which were football players, according to a press release sent out by the university:

OL Aubrey Phillips*

*Graduate degree

Never heard of a bachelors' level degree in pre-electrical engineering. My diploma from Auburn says Bachelor of Electrical Engineering.

OL Aubrey Phillips*

*Graduate degree

Never heard of a bachelors' level degree in pre-electrical engineering. My diploma from Auburn says Bachelor of Electrical Engineering.

that sounded odd to me too.

OL Aubrey Phillips*

*Graduate degree

Yeah, that's a new one with me as well.

I sure would like an explanation for that one! :dunno:

Archived