Auburn clears team chaplain of NCAA violations

MDM4AU

Auburn clears team chaplain of NCAA violations

Posted: Friday January 7, 2005 4:43PM; Updated: Friday January 7, 2005 4:48PM

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) -- Auburn University has determined that football team chaplain Chette Williams did not violate any major NCAA rules after newspaper stories raised questions about the role he plays in the athletic department.

Mark Richard, Auburn's associate athletic director for compliance, said Friday a review of the financial records for Williams' nonprofit organization found only potential secondary violations involving Fellowship of Christian Athletes events.

He said Chette Williams Ministries Inc. spent $704 for meals at three FCA events and $400 for a bus ride to an event last summer. He said the payments could be a potential violation since NCAA rules don't allow a school or an "athletically related organization" from paying such expenses.

"It's a minor thing," said Richard. He called the investigation "very standard."

Williams has been praised by coach Tommy Tuberville and players for his role in the team's success, including the 13-0 record and Southeastern Conference championship this past season.

A New York Times column last week questioned his links to powerful Auburn trustee Bobby Lowder and former assistant coach Wayne Hall.

Lowder, a Montgomery banker who has been accused of micromanaging the university and athletic department, donated $90,000 to Williams' foundation over the past three years, the Times reported. As a member of the foundation's board, Hall has the authority to supplement Williams' salary and he is also listed as the organization's treasurer.

In an Opelika-Auburn News story Friday, Williams said Lowder's donations and the board's ability to boost his earnings don't buy influence.

"Do I feel beholden to [Lowder]? No, I don't," Williams said. "I'm not beholden to anybody except God."

Williams has a small office in the university's athletic complex, but is employed by the FCA, not Auburn.

When he receives a check for the foundation for speaking engagements, Williams said the board can sign the money over to him as compensation. He said the payments helps supplement his $55,824 salary.

When asked by the Opelika-Auburn News, he said he has never made or arranged any improper payments to a player.

"That would not even cross my mind," he told the newspaper. "It scares me to even think about that."

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/foot...n.ap/index.html

This happens to alot of people not just in sports. If anyone in society is doing well., certain people want to bring them down, no matter what the cost.

You see it politically all the time.

Nice try by Wayne Flynt and Paul Davis using Sheila Roberts as a stooge. But again........no cigar. Cigars are earned on the field not in liberal cloakrooms :cheer:

This is the biggest NON story of the year. uat just can't stir it up fast enough. :D

I heard somewhere (finescum I think) that the author attended AU and may even be a graduate.

Why in the world is the NYT worried about what is happening in little ole Auburn, Alabama, especially when there is not much to the story.

I agree with everyone...if you dig deep enough you will find a connection to that little $h*the@d Paul Davis> What a pitiful little ole man.

Has anyone read the article in today's Montgomery Advertiser (Jan 8th) about how the team might have violated rules.

The Chaplain payed like $4 dollars for some wings. Talk about rediculous.

How about Tee Martin recieving payments through WESTERN UNION. That Tommy Gallion proved and had paperwork as to who sent it and received it.

But that brought no punishment. But our own local paper is trying to put a black mark on this special season. People can't stand Auburn to have 1 special year every 8 to 10 years.

I suspect anti-Christian bias might plays a strong role in this. This writer just wanted to get in the good graces with her leftist bosses by bashing a good Chrsitian guy. Those airheads at the times probably thought this was a "gripping" story simply because it placed Faith at the basis of a scandal. This Chette Williams guy is probably the #1 reason we aren't just another out-of-control college football program. Shame on the NYT for trying to bash one of the brighest spots on college athletics.

Archived