Men vs. South Carolina - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not gonna be that guy that says we lost because of the officials but there is definitely an issue with college basketball officiating. Obvious calls not called/ momentum too big of a factor on a run for officials/ TRAVELING no calls. It tends to be pretty evenly called in the end a lot but it's like when your mom gets on you for helping an old man cross the street but gives you ice cream when you talk bad to your siblings. It evens out but it's not correct...

Idk weird analogy

I am typically the first guy to come down on officials (did so a couple of times tonight) but overall, I thought they largely stayed out of the way, which is what good officials do.

Still hate the new rules.

I see this written a lot but I can't figure what rules people hate. There were tons of rule changes but 90% of them were administrative changes. What new rule is so bad that people keep saying this? I'm curious.

Hand check rule is the most controversial. Can't hand check beyond the 3 point line, but seemingly one can get mugged when going up for a bucket in the lane and no call. They trying to get rid of charges and big defensive games. Semi-circle underneath basket is also a foot bigger in diameter, and so less charges are going to be called. It just breeds inconsistency in calling the games. Officials also seem to get very caught up in momentum as well. That's been going on for a while but still a factor.

Still wondering how S Carolina must've played 100% perfect defense in the first 8 minutes of the game as evidenced by not. a. single. foul called on them. They must be doing a special kind of defensive slide drill in Columbia.

Do the gamecocks have the angriest pair of HC's in America in Martin and Muschamp?

This is the second game in a row where we were very, very sloppy with the ball. At one point well into the first half we had more made baskets than successful passes. We got away with it against Tennessee because they had a horrible shooting night.

I do hope there's some emphasis on ball security and sound passing in the next practice.

I think its getting too late to correct fundamentals. This team doesnt have them and it likely is what it is. I do think Pearl will turn out to be one of our best coaches ever in bball, but I also believe it will be very tough for us to go over .500 in SEC play this year. We are just plain not a good TEAM. We have several good PLAYERS, but nowhere near a good TEAM. I find it very unlikely that this changes midseason enough to make a difference. Maybe we come together just enough to make the NIT which would be a step up (kinda). For that to happen, these guys have to develop some kind of chemistry which is extremely lacking. We'll see. I'm not holding out much hope for this season. Next year though...

To be fair Bruce Pearl's teams have never been as fundamentally sound as they have been long, athletic, and quick. He prioritizes athleticism which is perfectly fine when you have the pieces. The O works best with a PG that is looking to penetrate and score/kick it out once the D collapses. Right now our PG, a player we would be lost without, is more of a "create your own shot from outside" type of player. Unfortunately he has to play PG because of his size and he has the best ball handling ability on the team meaning when Canty goes to work it means no ball movement and guys just standing around. We are transitioning, lets enjoy the ride. The product on the floor is already exponentially more exciting and overall BETTER than what we have seen since Cliff Ellis was let go minus maybe the NIT season under Lebo. It's only going to get better.

Nit picking some ... But I think it is universal on thi board that play has improved and folks are optimistic

I have enjoyed watching this team. Only a couple games did it truly feel out of reach.

This board has been very realistic about this team. Everybody has said our talent is much better then in recent history and that we have 4 or 5 players who are really good with Canty, Brown and Harris leading the way. We have some fundamental issues that many young players have in blocking out and playing team D. No true point guard but a team that plays hard but not always smart. In addition we have had multiple injury issues from minor injuries missing a game or two to injuries causing players to be out for weeks. With luck some of thhese players will be back this season giving us more depth which will automatically make us a better team.

I think the consensus is we might make the NIT but as many of us do tend to wear Orange and Blue glasses we try and convince ourselves we can make the NCAA tourney. We have three players coming in next year and with a years experience with some of our younger players we will be close to the kind of team we want for Auburn. The year after that we get our big man.

For his second year and as bare as the cupboard was when Pearl arrived I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

This board has been very realistic about this team. Everybody has said our talent is much better then in recent history and that we have 4 or 5 players who are really good with Canty, Brown and Harris leading the way. We have some fundamental issues that many young players have in blocking out and playing team D. No true point guard but a team that plays hard but not always smart. In addition we have had multiple injury issues from minor injuries missing a game or two to injuries causing players to be out for weeks. With luck some of thhese players will be back this season giving us more depth which will automatically make us a better team.

I think the consensus is we might make the NIT but as many of us do tend to wear Orange and Blue glasses we try and convince ourselves we can make the NCAA tourney. We have three players coming in next year and with a years experience with some of our younger players we will be close to the kind of team we want for Auburn. The year after that we get our big man.

For his second year and as bare as the cupboard was when Pearl arrived I am very happy with what I have seen so far.

Agreed. I wish I could justify better expectations for this year, but can't. Next year we look to have the potential to be the best team we've seen at AU since Porter played...and the year after next...look out. Looks like talent wise alone the next two years may be some of the best we've ever had. Just have to be patient. It will come.

Agreed. I wish I could justify better expectations for this year, but can't. Next year we look to have the potential to be the best team we've seen at AU since Porter played...and the year after next...look out. Looks like talent wise alone the next two years may be some of the best we've ever had. Just have to be patient. It will come.

All the above sounds good but I don't see a connection between our youth and playing good fundamental basketball. I'm thinking...

Shooting FTs in the 70-75% range

Doing something about unforced turnovers which are just killing us

More aggressive rebounding

All of the above can translate into wins. The players getting another year or two older is not going to do it unless the fundamentals get better...JMO

All the above sounds good but I don't see a connection between our youth and playing good fundamental basketball. I'm thinking...

Shooting FTs in the 70-75% range

Doing something about unforced turnovers which are just killing us

More aggressive rebounding

All of the above can translate into wins. The players getting another year or two older is not going to do it unless the fundamentals get better...JMO

With good coaching they should improve in all areas. The real improvement IMO comes in talent level incoming over the next 2 years. It's quite impressive.

I'm not gonna be that guy that says we lost because of the officials but there is definitely an issue with college basketball officiating. Obvious calls not called/ momentum too big of a factor on a run for officials/ TRAVELING no calls. It tends to be pretty evenly called in the end a lot but it's like when your mom gets on you for helping an old man cross the street but gives you ice cream when you talk bad to your siblings. It evens out but it's not correct...

Idk weird analogy

I am typically the first guy to come down on officials (did so a couple of times tonight) but overall, I thought they largely stayed out of the way, which is what good officials do.

I see this written a lot but I can't figure what rules people hate. There were tons of rule changes but 90% of them were administrative changes. What new rule is so bad that people keep saying this? I'm curious.

Hand check rule is the most controversial. Can't hand check beyond the 3 point line, That's not a new rule. It's been there a while. but seemingly one can get mugged when going up for a bucket in the lane and no call. They trying to get rid of charges and big defensive games. That's just opinion and not an actual rule. Semi-circle underneath basket is also a foot bigger in diameter, and so less charges are going to be called. Yes the circle is bigger. Personally, I think the circle under the basket is stupid. It needs to totally go away. Leave that for the nba (example of pro rules trickling down to college is not good). But it doesn't mean less charges are going to be called. There's still 95% of the floor left and I've seen quite a few charges called so far this year. It just breeds inconsistency in calling the games. Officials also seem to get very caught up in momentum as well. That's been going on for a while but still a factor.

Idk weird analogy

Hand check rule is the most controversial. Can't hand check beyond the 3 point line, That's not a new rule. It's been there a while. but seemingly one can get mugged when going up for a bucket in the lane and no call. They trying to get rid of charges and big defensive games. That's just opinion and not an actual rule. Semi-circle underneath basket is also a foot bigger in diameter, and so less charges are going to be called. Yes the circle is bigger. Personally, I think the circle under the basket is stupid. It needs to totally go away. Leave that for the nba (example of pro rules trickling down to college is not good). But it doesn't mean less charges are going to be called. There's still 95% of the floor left and I've seen quite a few charges called so far this year. It just breeds inconsistency in calling the games. Officials also seem to get very caught up in momentum as well. That's been going on for a while but still a factor.

Actually, according to the article at ncaa.com I read about the changes, the point of the new rules is in fact to attempt to allow more freedom for the offense:

http://www.ncaa.com/...er-changes-game

EDIT: Also note in the article, that if AU does make it to the NIT, the NCAA is going to try out allowing 6 fouls for each play instead of the regular 5.

Idk weird analogy

Actually, according to the article at ncaa.com I read about the changes, the point of the new rules is in fact to attempt to allow more freedom for the offense:

http://www.ncaa.com/...er-changes-game

EDIT: Also note in the article, that if AU does make it to the NIT, the NCAA is going to try out allowing 6 fouls for each play instead of the regular 5.

Meaning Horace Spencer might play more than the first ten minutes!!!!

Horace needs to realize he is a big man and quit trying to cover guys outside. He gets 1 or 2 hand check files out on the floor every game.

Archived