Men vs. South Carolina - Game Thread

WarTiger

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Biggest problem I had with officiating was how it seemed SC could get away with about anything going to the offensive boards. They finally called one over the back late in the game but that wasn't close to the worst foul in that situation. I wish we could keep Spencer on the floor, he's a difference maker on defense and rebounding.

I'm not gonna be that guy that says we lost because of the officials but there is definitely an issue with college basketball officiating. Obvious calls not called/ momentum too big of a factor on a run for officials/ TRAVELING no calls. It tends to be pretty evenly called in the end a lot but it's like when your mom gets on you for helping an old man cross the street but gives you ice cream when you talk bad to your siblings. It evens out but it's not correct...

Idk weird analogy

I am typically the first guy to come down on officials (did so a couple of times tonight) but overall, I thought they largely stayed out of the way, which is what good officials do.

Still hate the new rules.

unforced turnovers in the first half was our downfall tonight....frustrating

Bingo!

I think this is where someone says that we are learning how to win or something along those lines.

Not tonight I hope. They learned how to lose when the other team isn't playing great though.

unforced turnovers in the first half was our downfall tonight....frustrating

Bingo!

Indeed. Pretty much set the mentality of the team the rest of the night. Only takes a couple of guys to bring a team down and Grainger and Spencer (foul trouble) did that tonight. Spencer has time to learn though.

Anyone know how many turnovers we did have?

We had 21 turnovers. Too many that's for sure.

Weak, weak performance. One of the worst first half I have seen from both teams. So sloppy. Canty keeps us in games but his shots are unreal. We need a big man so bad. Bowers is awful. He should only be allowed to rebound. Long season

This is the second game in a row where we were very, very sloppy with the ball. At one point well into the first half we had more made baskets than successful passes. We got away with it against Tennessee because they had a horrible shooting night.

I do hope there's some emphasis on ball security and sound passing in the next practice.

Offense runs through a point guard. Our only real point guard is Shamsid-Deen. Canty plays PG but it is not his real position that is one of the reasons for lack of ball movement and number of turnovers. Then when you add the lack of defense on the perimeter other teams get to many open 3's. Part of that is not having a shot blocker in the paint. When you have a shot blocker in the paint you can play tougher outside because you know if somebody gets by you there is somebody in the paint to help you out.

For us to beat good teams both Brown and Canty need to be hitting the 3 and we need Dunans back to help with the scoring. Spencer needs to learn how to play hard without getting in foul trouble as we really need him for paint D, shot blocking, and rebounding. We need to find a PG who can distribute the ball. Hopefully Shamsid-Deen can get healthy and Dunans also.

Offense runs through a point guard. Our only real point guard is Shamsid-Deen. Canty plays PG but it is not his real position that is one of the reasons for lack of ball movement and number of turnovers. Then when you add the lack of defense on the perimeter other teams get to many open 3's. Part of that is not having a shot blocker in the paint. When you have a shot blocker in the paint you can play tougher outside because you know if somebody gets by you there is somebody in the paint to help you out.

For us to beat good teams both Brown and Canty need to be hitting the 3 and we need Dunans back to help with the scoring. Spencer needs to learn how to play hard without getting in foul trouble as we really need him for paint D, shot blocking, and rebounding. We need to find a PG who can distribute the ball. Hopefully Shamsid-Deen can get healthy and Dunans also.

'

I haven't looked at stats but there was absolutely NO rebounding intensity or effort

I'm not gonna be that guy that says we lost because of the officials but there is definitely an issue with college basketball officiating. Obvious calls not called/ momentum too big of a factor on a run for officials/ TRAVELING no calls. It tends to be pretty evenly called in the end a lot but it's like when your mom gets on you for helping an old man cross the street but gives you ice cream when you talk bad to your siblings. It evens out but it's not correct...

Idk weird analogy

I am typically the first guy to come down on officials (did so a couple of times tonight) but overall, I thought they largely stayed out of the way, which is what good officials do.

I see this written a lot but I can't figure what rules people hate. There were tons of rule changes but 90% of them were administrative changes. What new rule is so bad that people keep saying this? I'm curious.

'

I haven't looked at stats but there was absolutely NO rebounding intensity or effort

South Carolina had the edge in rebounding 34 - 27. South Carolina had 9 offensive rebounds and 25 defensive rebounds. Auburn had 8 offensive rebounds and 19 defensive rebounds. The main thing that killed us last night was the 21 turnovers. That was a season high by the way, so we've never had that many all season. Most of those are correctable though as they were unforced turnovers. It wasn't anything South Carolina did to cause those turnovers. Errant passes and just fumbling the ball out of bounds were a lot of them.

I've moaned on about the rebounding constantly this year. There is so much mental and "want to" about rebounding. This team has it in spurts but not consistently. I personally think it needs to come from very physical practices ... Maybe that isn't possible due to our injuries and depth ... Who knows.

I've said this repeatedly also ... Everyone who likes auburn basketball should listen to the post game talks with Rod on the radio broadcast. CBP is brutally honest - good/bad about both teams.

He pretty much said he coached the kids to do what they needed to do and they had awful practices before this game. They simply did not execute what they were coached to do. You could tell he was ticked. Last nights game was one that we should have won.

I've moaned on about the rebounding constantly this year. There is so much mental and "want to" about rebounding. This team has it in spurts but not consistently. I personally think it needs to come from very physical practices ... Maybe that isn't possible due to our injuries and depth ... Who knows.

I've said this repeatedly also ... Everyone who likes auburn basketball should listen to the post game talks with Rod on the radio broadcast. CBP is brutally honest - good/bad about both teams.

He pretty much said he coached the kids to do what they needed to do and they had awful practices before this game. They simply did not execute what they were coached to do. You could tell he was ticked. Last nights game was one that we should have won.

I agree if we played better we would have had a chance but USCe is a very good team if we played better I believe they would have also that is why they are undefeated.

Idk weird analogy

I see this written a lot but I can't figure what rules people hate. There were tons of rule changes but 90% of them were administrative changes. What new rule is so bad that people keep saying this? I'm curious.

Maybe it's not the new rules per se, but the way they are enforced. It encourages a lot of ticky tac calls that aren't always enforced in balance. Several times last night I saw Canty drive and his defender put his forearm on him the whole way, no call. However AU picked up quite a few of these calls last night and plenty of games prior. I do believe the new rule on drawing charges has worked to AU's advantage as they are pretty decent at drawing those.

If we had TSD and Dunans I think we might have been able to snap our 22 game losing streak to ranked opponents. With our injuries right now we need Canty, Harris, Brown, and Bowers ALL to play to the top of their games at the same time or we face a huge uphill battle because we are lacking so much size and quality ball handling to win games.

Also the past few games either the refs hate Pearl for riding them so much or Horace Spencer must be making fun of their mothers in pre-game lol

If we had TSD and Dunans I think we might have been able to snap our 22 game losing streak to ranked opponents. With our injuries right now we need Canty, Harris, Brown, and Bowers ALL to play to the top of their games at the same time or we face a huge uphill battle because we are lacking so much size and quality ball handling to win games.

Also the past few games either the refs hate Pearl for riding them so much or Horace Spencer must be making fun of their mothers in pre-game lol

Even having one of those guys back would go a long way.

Even having one of those guys back would go a long way.

Absolutely!

Remember we are down 4 guards who play pretty big roles for this team. Williams is a rotation guy but still we lack forth. I'm enjoying at least being able to stay in SEC games with such a thin roster. Sure there are issues but we've got about six real college level basketball players playing against about 9 or 10 on any given night right now. Be patient, plenty more ball to be played. Think we still have not see. Anywhere near the best of this team. Plus, there's always th SEC tournament at the end of the year, and last time it went pretty well for us!

Archived