Confederate flag tattoo stops man from joining Marines

AUUSN

The Marine Corps confirmed that a man was told his tattoo of a Confederate flag made him ineligible to join the Marines because it violates the service’s policy on body ink.

“These Confederate flag tattoos have been denied in the past,” said Capt. Dustin Pratico, a spokesman for the 8th Recruiting District. “It’s a not new thing. This isn’t the first time that it’s ever happened. This is just one of the times it happened to catch media attention.”

635894158227702318-MAR-Anthony-Bauswell-1.JPG

Shouldn't the story then just be - " tattoo " keeps man out of marines - ?

Nope. You can join with an appropriate tattoo.

Born n bred southerners help fill the ranks. The military knows what it's doing when offering grits in the defac. So this is surprising.

With the troop cutbacks the selection process has tightened considerably. If not mistaken new recruits must get a waiver for tattoos now. I know my son had to get a waiver for his M Dot tattoo.

With the troop cutbacks the selection process has tightened considerably. If not mistaken new recruits must get a waiver for tattoos now. I know my son had to get a waiver for his M Dot tattoo.

Correct. All tattoos require a waiver. Tattoo on the neck is a definite no go.

Any tattoo visible while in uniform would prove to be problematic for almost all recruits. Even the ones that are only visible in PT's get scrutinized from what I have heard and witnessed.

Any tattoo visible while in uniform would prove to be problematic for almost all recruits. Even the ones that are only visible in PT's get scrutinized from what I have heard and witnessed.

Not when I was in. Even neck tats were ok.

Understood but times have definitely changed. My son broke his leg and had ankle surgery that put him in a recruiting office a few months before he could commission. The stories about the "unqualified" recruits was sad but amusing. Will never forget he got a call from a double minority applicant with excellent grades and no tattoos that wanted to go JAG. He immediately placed the young lady on hold and told the OIC he had a unicorn on the phone.

Understood but times have definitely changed. My son broke his leg and had ankle surgery that put him in a recruiting office a few months before he could commission. The stories about the "unqualified" recruits was sad but amusing. Will never forget he got a call from a double minority applicant with excellent grades and no tattoos that wanted to go JAG. He immediately placed the young lady on hold and told the OIC he had a unicorn on the phone.

Haha

Wish they'd make up their minds...

a man was told his tattoo of a Confederate flag made him ineligible to join the Marines because it violates the service’s policy on body ink.

a man was told his tattoo of a Confederate flag made him ineligible to join the Marines because it violates the service’s policy on body ink.

From the article.

Specifically, the Marine Corps’ tattoo policy bans “anything that can be viewed as prejudice, racist, sexist or offensive.” Pratico said.

All tattoos require a waiver.......confederate tattoos will almost always be denied the waiver. Now once you are in the service it gets a little more linent or at least ignored as long as the ink does not show in full uni's.

Tatts can't be visible outside uniform, offensive, depict nudity, gang imagery, drug culture imagery or be perceived as racist or in any way be prejudicial to good order and discipline. You also can't have your body mutilated in any way (tongue splitting is called out on the form...what the hell is tongue splitting ?).... back in the day, a big Eagle/Globe/Anchor tat or Mom was about as avante garde as it got...

From the article.

Specifically, the Marine Corps’ tattoo policy bans “anything that can be viewed as prejudice, racist, sexist or offensive.” Pratico said.

Well, according to some of the politics of the day, the United States flag can be considered all of those.

Archived