6 Women File Title IX Lawsuit Against Tennessee After String Of Sexual Assault Cases Involving Athletes

augolf1716

• 2 weeks later...

Butch Jones will not survive this. I just wish that it would have came out a couple of months ago and then maybe we could have landed Nigel Warrior.

If he said that to the kid he has serious issues and I wouldn't want him at my school.

Think you misunderstood?

Or perhaps, you?

I wish the incidents at FSU could be added to a similar legal action there. Colleges and their boosters must stop protecting gifted student athelitcs when they committ crimes.

I wish the incidents at FSU could be added to a similar legal action there. Colleges and their boosters must stop protecting gifted student athelitcs when they committ crimes.

They have NO intention of stopping the protection of gifted athletes. That is why we are paying them now. That is why I never want to hear the term student athlete ever again. It has all become a big joke. Lets take a school of higher learning and give free educations to football players while also paying them money, feeding them, housing them, and tutoring them even though they could not be there if they had to do what normal students have to do to get in. Furthermore, lets make the regular students work while they are in school and or pay off student loans for twenty years for the same piece of paper. Sounds like Liberal leftist politics to me.

They have NO intention of stopping the protection of gifted athletes. That is why we are paying them now. That is why I never want to hear the term student athlete ever again. It has all become a big joke. Lets take a school of higher learning and give free educations to football players while also paying them money, feeding them, housing them, and tutoring them even though they could not be there if they had to do what normal students have to do to get in. Furthermore, lets make the regular students work while they are in school and or pay off student loans for twenty years for the same piece of paper. Sounds like Liberal leftist politics to me.

A good rant and some reasonable objections to the current state of affairs in college sports.

The pressure to win causes people all over many/most major universities .... from athletic departments to top administration.... to compromise their ethical standards and "look the other way" far too often. And at many schools, we see supporters of their athletic programs who are also quite willing to look the other way .... and accept or even justify bad behavior by athletes....the kind of behavior that would not be acceptable if done by regular students.

Forgetting the political reference...this is mostly an ethical issue. ..an unfortunate sign of the times.... JMO

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just coming to post that.

Roughly $150k per plaintiff. Apparently restitution for being assaulted does have a price.

I'm shocked they settled. Taints the allegations, IMHO

Much like the great state of Alabammer..................they would have not had a certain path in court......Who knows......

While of course, a statement of responsibility wouldn't be included in the statement, UTk doesn't come off as looking guilt free either....

If I were innocent and had pockets that deep, I'd spend your ass under the table...

Just coming to post that.

Roughly $150k per plaintiff. Apparently restitution for being assaulted does have a price.

I'm shocked they settled. Taints the allegations, IMHO

Assessing fault certainly not easy a case like this where a lot of it seems to depend on testimony but perhaps lacking some confirmation. Looks to me at the school was eager to get this put behind them and I guess the attorneys for the plaintiffs convinced them that there was the possibility of getting nothing except some penalties against the school. Something like this seems to be about the only way victims could receive anything .

What a shame. Deep pockets buy their own "justice". I assume the plaintiffs were convinced this was the only way to get this thing behind them without it dragging out for years in the courts. What's even most unfortunate is the message it sends, nothing changes for victims of sexual assault, and schools will go on protecting their most valuable assets (athletes) at all costs.

What a shame. Deep pockets buy their own "justice". I assume the plaintiffs were convinced this was the only way to get this thing behind them without it dragging out for years in the courts. What's even most unfortunate is the message it sends, nothing changes for victims of sexual assault, and schools will go on protecting their most valuable assets (athletes) at all costs.

Maybe......hard to judge things like this IMO....athletes have always been good and easy targets ...so in my view it's not good to generalize on this topic.

This must have been a really flimsy case by the plaintiffs. They asked for $100,000,000.00 and settled for 2.5% of that amount? In addition to an exceptionally low settlement, UT admitted to no wrongdoing, no illegal acts, and no negligence. I got the impression that a few of the plaintiffs were looking for a money grab when they cited a song and freaking Peyton Manning in their case. Their attorney's had major doubts about the stability of their case if they got unanimous approval from all of their clients to settle so low.

Smart business move by UT to dangle the money out there like that and see if the plaintiffs would jump at it. This case wasn't set to go to trail until 2018, so UT would have spent twice the settlement amount if they had let this drag out and tried the case in two years. Now UT pays what amounts to penny's on the dollar and admits zero guilt. They get this news out of the media, and can move on with business without all the bad PR.

This must have been a really flimsy case by the plaintiffs. They asked for $100,000,000.00 and settled for 2.5% of that amount? In addition to an exceptionally low settlement, UT admitted to no wrongdoing, no illegal acts, and no negligence. I got the impression that a few of the plaintiffs were looking for a money grab when they cited a song and freaking Peyton Manning in their case. Their attorney's had major doubts about the stability of their case if they got unanimous approval from all of their clients to settle so low.

Smart business move by UT to dangle the money out there like that and see if the plaintiffs would jump at it. This case wasn't set to go to trail until 2018, so UT would have spent twice the settlement amount if they had let this drag out and tried the case in two years. Now UT pays what amounts to penny's on the dollar and admits zero guilt. They get this news out of the media, and can move on with business without all the bad PR.

Everything did get sealed. For what it's worth, not all those cases are money grabbers..some of those guys are probably guilty.

Everything did get sealed. For what it's worth, not all those cases are money grabbers..some of those guys are probably guilty.

There's no doubt in my mind those guys are guilty and so are the UT people (Butch Jones) that covered it up and ignored the issue.

The way it ended with UT paying a measly 2.5% of the original $100,000,000 AND UT being allowed to admit no wrong doing or negligence makes me believe that all it took was one plaintiff with questionable evidence to jeopardize the whole case.

Archived