New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

I think our issues at the quarterback position come with the coaching and not so much the players. It's too consistent that we're getting great high school talent at the position that comes in and looks utterly lost. We tend to either water down the offense so much that intelligent defenses shut us down or we'll have a good drive and have a play with such a long wind up process we get knocked in the mouth before it can develop. We need to run a full route tree, we need to break tendencies (the game thread is probably 85% accurate on guessing plays), and we need to dedicate a month of practice minimum to red zone offense and punching the ball in. There is a reason certain teams have consistent success against our offense. I've yet to see our offense actually be tailored to its talent. If it were Uzomah and Fulse would have been the best TE combo in the country.

If Sean is going to start then we need to run a Patriots style offense with high percentage passes and screens with actual blockers. Many offenses have worked without a hail mary every six plays. Intermediate passes are just as crucial to the passing game. However, we have to understand with Sean we aren't going to be able to run the read option effectively and that shouldn't ruin the entire offense. Instead the run game has to be more diverse in its style. We hardly ever run a counter, misdirection, pitch, or any variations. Designated read plays should be considered a cardinal sin in football.

If it is going to be our JUCO hopeful then we have to make sure he can actually read the option. His passing game isn't going to get him an NFL contract and that is fine because he could be a good college quarterback. Give him easy throws and for once please encourage a quarterback to go through his reads in the passing game. Too many times we have watched certain qbs stare at the same target and eventually force it to them. Either they need to take off and run if their option isn't open or throw the ball away.

If it's Jeremy Johnson I don't know what to say. It's so eerily similar to Kiehl Frazier for me. Yes the talent is their and that is titillating but it hasn't manifested itself into any level of success much less consistent success. Someone needs to get in his ear and tell him how big he is! He runs the ball like a snail who thinks it's going to snap if it gets hit. Dude is a tank and he should know it. His arm is fine but he has underthrown some deep balls and has tried to force the ball into tripple coverage more than I have seen in a long time.

Also, and this is the billionth time I have said this but we can't keep letting players who are doing well disappear. Someone needs to be hired to go, "Gus...he has had four carries for an average of 15 yards each time. Why hasn't he been in for two quarters?"

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying he can't do it. I said to me it was something he needs to work on. He missed quite a few last year. Just saying he could get better....

He also had plenty dropped. I fully agree that White can get better, and he's young enough that I expect he will. He could also definitely have used some help. JJ could have too.

I'm specifically talking about deep balls and I only remember one dropped and even that one was a tough catch

Not saying he can't do it. I said to me it was something he needs to work on. He missed quite a few last year. Just saying he could get better....

He also had plenty dropped. I fully agree that White can get better, and he's young enough that I expect he will. He could also definitely have used some help. JJ could have too.

I'm specifically talking about deep balls and I only remember one dropped and even that one was a tough catch

I couldn't have got down there and got that open, but even I could have caught the deep ball Jason Smith dropped. There was nothing tough about it.

I think our issues at the quarterback position come with the coaching and not so much the players. It's too consistent that we're getting great high school talent at the position that comes in and looks utterly lost. We tend to either water down the offense so much that intelligent defenses shut us down or we'll have a good drive and have a play with such a long wind up process we get knocked in the mouth before it can develop. We need to run a full route tree, we need to break tendencies (the game thread is probably 85% accurate on guessing plays), and we need to dedicate a month of practice minimum to red zone offense and punching the ball in. There is a reason certain teams have consistent success against our offense. I've yet to see our offense actually be tailored to its talent. If it were Uzomah and Fulse would have been the best TE combo in the country.

If Sean is going to start then we need to run a Patriots style offense with high percentage passes and screens with actual blockers. Many offenses have worked without a hail mary every six plays. Intermediate passes are just as crucial to the passing game. However, we have to understand with Sean we aren't going to be able to run the read option effectively and that shouldn't ruin the entire offense. Instead the run game has to be more diverse in its style. We hardly ever run a counter, misdirection, pitch, or any variations. Designated read plays should be considered a cardinal sin in football.

If it is going to be our JUCO hopeful then we have to make sure he can actually read the option. His passing game isn't going to get him an NFL contract and that is fine because he could be a good college quarterback. Give him easy throws and for once please encourage a quarterback to go through his reads in the passing game. Too many times we have watched certain qbs stare at the same target and eventually force it to them. Either they need to take off and run if their option isn't open or throw the ball away.

If it's Jeremy Johnson I don't know what to say. It's so eerily similar to Kiehl Frazier for me. Yes the talent is their and that is titillating but it hasn't manifested itself into any level of success much less consistent success. Someone needs to get in his ear and tell him how big he is! He runs the ball like a snail who thinks it's going to snap if it gets hit. Dude is a tank and he should know it. His arm is fine but he has underthrown some deep balls and has tried to force the ball into tripple coverage more than I have seen in a long time.

Also, and this is the billionth time I have said this but we can't keep letting players who are doing well disappear. Someone needs to be hired to go, "Gus...he has had four carries for an average of 15 yards each time. Why hasn't he been in for two quarters?"

I'm not going to feel good at all about this team unless we get Webb. If we do get him, 9 wins (including a bowl )is a very reachable goal.

I think our issues at the quarterback position come with the coaching and not so much the players. It's too consistent that we're getting great high school talent at the position that comes in and looks utterly lost.

That might make sense if guys like Kiehl Frazier lit it up at other schools after he left Auburn. However, it may just have been that he was extremely overrated coming out of HS. You need more than physical talent to be successful at the next level. It's possibly a similar issue with JJ. We'll see this season. Sometimes kids lack a fundamental skill set (pocket presence and toughness) that is extremely tough to 'coach' in if the lack of it wasn't recognized at the HS level. JJ may not have been successful in any offense, even though many just assume he would.

I do hope he grows into the position. He's a classy young man.

I couldn't have got down there and got that open, but even I could have caught the deep ball Jason Smith dropped. There was nothing tough about it.

I know Mikey, I know.

I think our issues at the quarterback position come with the coaching and not so much the players. It's too consistent that we're getting great high school talent at the position that comes in and looks utterly lost.

That might make sense if guys like Kiehl Frazier lit it up at other schools after he left Auburn. However, it may just have been that he was extremely overrated coming out of HS. You need more than physical talent to be successful at the next level. It's possibly a similar issue with JJ. We'll see this season. Sometimes kids lack a fundamental skill set (pocket presence and toughness) that is extremely tough to 'coach' in if the lack of it wasn't recognized at the HS level. JJ may not have been successful in any offense, even though many just assume he would.

Yeah he is classy, but he came to a big time program, in a big time conference. He needs to be better or sit down

Based on what we've seen on the field (pre-meltdown), Jeremy has more natural talent than Kiehl. Jeremy just has a mental issue that, if he can find the way around it, he will be a very good QB. We just may never see it at Auburn. That has 0 to do with the abilities of our staff.

As for Kiehl, unfortunately there's a possibility that Chizik killed his career by bringing in Loeffler. He tried to force a dual threat QB into a pro-style offense, minus a decent offensive line. That could have totally messed him up. We'll never know. Odds are he wasn't going to get the kind of coaching required to fix anything that was broken at a small Christian school... which is where he ended up.

The only QB that Gus has ever really been able to bring up from day 1 is Jeremy, and the Jeremy we saw in 2014 was an excellent freshman QB. What happened between then and 15 is anyone guess, but odds are it wasn't coaching.

Yeah he is classy, but he came to a big time program, in a big time conference. He needs to be better or sit down

That wasn't the point. It may not be the coaching

Yeah, well what are the odds that we have TWO highly rated QBs who flop in a four year span? If WB does well then that will help. One bust is forgivable, two in that short a stretch is not.

All things considered, MHO post spring is, SW is the best QB we have currently on roster.

If our coaches commiit to a game plan now with SW, or a 2 QB system with SW and JF3, I believe the chance for success is high.

Yeah, well what are the odds that we have TWO highly rated QBs who flop in a four year span? If WB does well then that will help. One bust is forgivable, two in that short a stretch is not.

Keihl flopped under Loeffler and a completely different offense. Gus wasn't even here in 2012. Not saying he would have lit it up if Gus was here, since he had no O-Line to speak of, but you can't throw Keihl completely at Gus's feet.

Jeremy played very well in 2014, so saying poor development is the reason behind his issues in 2015 is a stretch.

Guest WarEagleSteve

Keihl flopped under Loeffler and a completely different offense. Gus wasn't even here in 2012. Not saying he would have lit it up if Gus was here, since he had no O-Line to speak of, but you can't throw Keihl completely at Gus's feet.

Jeremy played very well in 2014, so saying poor development is the reason behind his issues in 2015 is a stretch.

If you really paid attention to JJ in 2015, I don't know how you can lay the blame for his issues at the feet of the coaching staff. Launching floaters into triple coverage, locking in on receivers at the snap, missing wide open throws. He showed ability in fits and starts (the end of the JSU game comes to mind) but it seemed like the guy was so stuck in his own head that everything broke down the second he set foot on the field. At a certain point there's nothing the coaches can do. They can't throw the ball for him.

What are the odds that we just missed on evaluating what type of QB's they were to begin with?

Look at Chris Todd. He developed from a subpar QB into a record setter under Gus.

All things considered, MHO post spring is, SW is the best QB we have currently on roster.

If our coaches commiit to a game plan now with SW, or a 2 QB system with SW and JF3, I believe the chance for success is high.

We had sort of a 2-QB system in the Bowl game and our guys looked better (to me) than a QB that many rated as best QB coming out this year. I know most offensive coaches don't like it, but most coaches don't like to defend it either. I think sometimes that gives you the best chance to win.

We had sort of a 2-QB system in the Bowl game and our guys looked better (to me) than a QB that many rated as best QB coming out this year. I know most offensive coaches don't like it, but most coaches don't like to defend it either. I think sometimes that gives you the best chance to win.

If that is what it takes to give Auburn the best chance to be successful, then by all means go for it. It's been done before. While not a true 2 QB deal, Urban did use both his guys to win a national championship.

Well either the evaluation or the coaching has failedd us. Regardless it falls on the coaching staff.

Well either the evaluation or the coaching has failedd us. Regardless it falls on the coaching staff.

Can't imagine anyone would suggest otherwise...so what is your point. .?

Promises promises...

If we don't get Webb, that might be it for Gus. If we get him I think we'll have an 8-9 win (regular) season. There'll be enough talent around him for him to step in and work well. Since I think Gus'd be insane not to offer him, and since I objectively believe Auburn is a more prestigious (though maybe not as scenic) destination than Cal or Colorado, I have a sense of hope that we get him. If we get him, I'm (sort of) optimistic.

Archived