New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

If we don't get Webb, that might be it for Gus. If we get him I think we'll have an 8-9 win (regular) season. There'll be enough talent around him for him to step in and work well.

Assuming White doesn't beat him out for the job ;)

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we don't get Webb, that might be it for Gus. If we get him I think we'll have an 8-9 win (regular) season. There'll be enough talent around him for him to step in and work well.

Assuming White doesn't beat him out for the job ;)/>

Bingo !!!

I didn't realize Davis Webb was the savior of Auburn football

You obviously have not been paying close enough attention to this thread. If we lose him we might as well forfeit our SEC games....he's our only hope now that JF3 did not light it up during A-Day. Surely you see that.... :dunno: l

You obviously have not been paying close enough attention to this thread. If we lose him we might as well forfeit our SEC games....he's our only hope now that JF3 did not light it up during A-Day. Surely you see that.... :dunno:/> l

I think the problem is more that nobody lit it up

You obviously have not been paying close enough attention to this thread. If we lose him we might as well forfeit our SEC games....he's our only hope now that JF3 did not light it up during A-Day. Surely you see that.... :dunno:/> l

I think the problem is more that nobody lit it up

Lol exactly. If someone had, I doubt we'd be panicking as much

Not saying he can't do it. I said to me it was something he needs to work on. He missed quite a few last year. Just saying he could get better....

He also had plenty dropped. I fully agree that White can get better, and he's young enough that I expect he will. He could also definitely have used some help. JJ could have too.

I'm specifically talking about deep balls and I only remember one dropped and even that one was a tough catch

Agree. SW's deep passes do need to improve. Surprisingly that's one of JJ's strongest areas as long as it isn't thrown into multiple coverage.

Not saying he can't do it. I said to me it was something he needs to work on. He missed quite a few last year. Just saying he could get better....

He also had plenty dropped. I fully agree that White can get better, and he's young enough that I expect he will. He could also definitely have used some help. JJ could have too.

I'm specifically talking about deep balls and I only remember one dropped and even that one was a tough catch

Agree. SW's deep passes do need to improve. Surprisingly that's one of JJ's strongest areas as long as it isn't thrown into multiple coverage.

I really am curious what our 2015 season looks like if JJ's long touchdown to Jason Smith against Louisville isn't called back. Maybe nothing changes but the box score for that one game, but man, he needed something good to happen so badly right at that moment and it's like the football gods twisted the knife instead.

I don't know if QB position will turn out to be an accident waiting to happen, a game manager, or a light come on and we get great QB play. I don't know who our QB will be next year. But unlike many on this board I don't think because of what we saw in the A-Day game that all is lost. I saw different QB's running the same packages none of which was designed to take advantage of their skill sets. Especially after last year with the JJ meltdown then the watered down Offense we put around SW I am sure that the coaches realize that each QB will need some changes in the base offense to maximize what they bring to the table. Franklin would be more QB run oriented with safer passes, SW more slants quick short and Mid range passes. I also saw enough in the A-Day game to think we will see the FB run the ball enough to keep the other team honest.

For those who say Gus can't develop a QB I think you are spending to much time looking at footwork, arm motion etc and not looking at the college game. You are saying Gus's job is getting the QB ready to play at the next level. I say Gus's job is to adjust the offense around the QB and other offensive talent to create a winning O. If you watched CAM the QB at the end of the season was not the same QB at the beginning of the season the same can be said about Nick. Gus found the things they did well and built around them. It took 2-3 games before CAM or NM stared to look like the players they became.

Last year was different he had built an offense around what he and most of us thought was a known quantity a big tough QB who could make all the throws and based on a couple of games like Arkansas from the previous year we were all sure we had a great QB. JJ can make the throws when not under pressure Arkansas was a bad test as they couldn't play pass defense and had game planned for Marshall. Then JJ fell and we didn't have an option available. I do believe Gus made some mistakes first was not having a Redshirt Freshman who was your backup QB ready to come out of the gate and play and also when practicing with second team and in limited amount of time with first team not having some plays that fit his talent better.

Gus and Rhett should have had SW ready to step in if JJ got hurt, because they had neglected him when he came in they were protecting him instead of running an O that fit him then he got hurt and that was it. Remember it took 2-3 games for CAM and Nick to become the players that we fell in love with. Just as SW was starting to look better he gets hurt so we don't know that healthy he wouldn't have continued to progress and that they wouldn't have modified the O to fit his game.

JJ is the only QB since Gus has been here who the O didn't get better as the season progressed. Judging QB development in college is the O getting better as the season develops. Team Tebow was great college QB but he was never going to be a pro QB but he was developed to the point that his team could win the big dance.

Cole before you jump on me for being as SW fan. He does have weaknesses and your analyses of him has been accurate but there are only a few college and even pro QB's that don't have weaknesses it is the coaches job to design an offense around the QB and other players to take advantage of QB's strengths and minimize their weaknesses. An average QB who is above average in some area Running ability, Strong arm no touch, Touch but not a great arm, and most important an ability to read defenses can be made into a great college QB.

The question for next year is whether Gus can scheme the system in such a way that we have another great O using any of the current QB's or any incoming QB's or if the D is improved enough scheme the system so we can win without the QB hurting us.

two of his interceptions in that game were baffling ....I was like do you not see that linebacker dropping in coverage, and bam he throws it right to him...and he was not even under pressure. Same thing happened against JSU....

two of his interceptions in that game were baffling ....I was like do you not see that linebacker dropping in coverage, and bam he throws it right to him...and he was not even under pressure. Same thing happened against JSU....

It'd be interesting to get an analysis of the JJ interceptions and SW interceptions last year. :)

It'd be interesting to get an analysis of the JJ interceptions and SW interceptions last year. :)

Other than one that Sean threw in the bowl game- and even then he was under extreme duress- JJ's were far, far less easily explained. They were this-guy-isn't-processing-a-single-thing-going-on-on-the-field-right-now bad.

I personally think that they yanked JJ too soon. White was looking great then he threw an INT against MSU early and boom, we went ultra conservative. But I guess I can't guarantee that we wouldn't have been conservative out of the gate against MSU to start. I thought JJ might be able to build off of his second half @LSU despite the outcome. It was like he settled down a bit after the long run for a TD

I personally think that they yanked JJ too soon. White was looking great then he threw an INT against MSU early and boom, we went ultra conservative. But I guess I can't guarantee that we wouldn't have been conservative out of the gate against MSU to start. I thought JJ might be able to build off of his second half @LSU despite the outcome. It was like he settled down a bit after the long run for a TD

He needed the run game and early in the season it was not clicking therefore it was easier to key on the passing game. Plus Duke was losing his mind...

I really am curious what our 2015 season looks like if JJ's long touchdown to Jason Smith against Louisville isn't called back. Maybe nothing changes but the box score for that one game, but man, he needed something good to happen so badly right at that moment and it's like the football gods twisted the knife instead.

I used to but I'm passed that now. I don't think I'll ever stop wondering what if we had Louisville qb though...we'd be primed for a breakout year

When you have time type his name in YouTube and watch the video named freshman highlights...the way he runs the zone read...can't tell me Gus wouldn't give people fits with him

^As far as I know, we didn't even recruit him. Not very hardly, at least. Barrett had better at least resemble that (I'm not demanding that this year, obviously). I still say Webb's presence or lack thereof makes or breaks this season.

^As far as I know, we didn't even recruit him.

247 shows that we offered him, along with pretty much every other team that runs a dual threat. Interestingly enough Louisville was never in the crystal ball picture. He was high on West Virginia early, then Florida, and Nebraska came on strong in the end... and boom, he commits to Louisville.

He was a 3-star composite. I think Gus is still establishing his recruiting connections to help find these diamond in the rough type kids who aren't highly rated but are perfect for his zone-read.

Was Jackson willing to sit until JJ left? Also I think Gus thought he had his guy in JJ for at least the next two years, so maybe they did not put the full court press on like they should/could have. Also I am not 100% if SW had committed....Possible that he saw a clearer path to play at Louisville...anyway he is legit.

I agree, Cole. The passes SW hit during A-day to the backs down the sidelines do just that

I second this and Cole.

I truly believe were a winning team without Webb, I think Gus believes if Webb can come in and play like his freshmen season that we are a NC contending team. Gus does not feel we are not good without Webb IMO but that we could be unstoppable with him if he returns to that form... I'm still of the belief that with summer and fall still to come that JF3 will be ready to lead this team to 8-10 wins. Webb on the other hand "could" make us 12-15 win type of team. We do not know if he will even live up to what he once was.

Archived