New QB Spring Leaders

bikeriderga

Guest WarEagleSteve

Based on what I've seen, we have three flawed options at quarterback and Gus is going to have to decide whose flaws he's most willing to live with. JJ has all of the physical tools but seems to lack a killer instinct and has demonstrated a propensity towards mental collapse (the entire 2015 season). JFIII is the most dynamic runner of the three but has durability and accuracy questions. SW is the most polished passer of the three but is the least capable of contributing to the running game and has some significant durability concerns.

If it were me (it's not), my choice would be between SW and JFIII. Obviously I'm not at practice every day but JJ's turnovers were far from his only issue last year and I'm not entirely certain one offseason is enough to fix them.

• Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest WarEagleSteve

Gus's QB recruiting since he's been here has been atrocious, to say the least.

Projecting/Recruiting QBs is a crapshoot at every level of football. So much of playing the position successfully is mental that until there's a way to see inside a guy's head you'll never know what you're going to get. Remember, Kiehl Frazier was a higher ranked prospect than Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, and Trevone Boykin coming out of high school. You just don't know what you're getting until they actually show up on campus.

Projecting/Recruiting QBs is a crapshoot at every level of football. So much of playing the position successfully is mental that until there's a way to see inside a guy's head you'll never know what you're going to get. Remember, Kiehl Frazier was a higher ranked prospect than Marcus Mariota, Johnny Manziel, and Trevone Boykin coming out of high school. You just don't know what you're getting until they actually show up on campus.

Well said

Based on what I've seen, we have three flawed options at quarterback and Gus is going to have to decide whose flaws he's most willing to live with. JJ has all of the physical tools but seems to lack a killer instinct and has demonstrated a propensity towards mental collapse (the entire 2015 season). JFIII is the most dynamic runner of the three but has durability and accuracy questions. SW is the most polished passer of the three but is the least capable of contributing to the running game and has some significant durability concerns.

If it were me (it's not), my choice would be between SW and JFIII. Obviously I'm not at practice every day but JJ's turnovers were far from his only issue last year and I'm not entirely certain one offseason is enough to fix them.

I agree with this.

Personally. I'd rather let JF3 run the O. Everybody points out his flawed mechanics but look at NM in 2013. His running ability made up for his passing. Maybe the same thing can happen with JF3. It'll come down to how Gus wants his O to function. All 3 of the options have flaws. Pick your poison.

It's SPRING BALL!! Let's not forget how many were saying Trotter was a much better qb than Cam after the spring game....

It's SPRING BALL!! Let's not forget how many were saying Trotter was a much better qb than Cam after the spring game....

i thought Caudle was, seriously.

Guest WarEagleSteve

This is true but when has that ever stopped anyone from speculating?

sorry to interupt everyones arguing, I thought this was pretty interesting.

https://twitter.com/...236626447265793

"Texas Tech grad transfer QB Davis Webb told colleague @Jake_Trotter today that he plans to visit Auburn. Would be eligible immediately."

Of course it is SPRING BALL and everyone should understand that the A-Day game is not even a real scrimmage. All that matters is what happens when we kick off against Clemson and going forward. That being posted, for any AU Alum, fan, skeptic, etc, watching the A-Day game, there was nothing to indicate that the O (play calling, QB play) has improved since 2015. Gus has his money and no one can take that away from him. Gus' reputation as an O guru and whether he is an above average HC is very much in question.

wde

Theres a difference between speculation and saying stupid things with no actual substance over a spring football game.

Theres a difference between speculation and saying stupid things with no actual substance over a spring football game.

Give examples of both please (legitimate speculation versus stupid). Thanks.

wde

Guest WarEagleSteve

"Stupid things with no actual substance" seems to be a very tenuously defined thing on this board as of late. My observation has been that it seems to mean "things I don't agree with".

"Stupid things with no actual substance" seems to be a very tenuously defined thing on this board as of late. My observation has been that it seems to mean "things I don't agree with".

This.

wde

Disagree. It's been development that has been more of the bad side. Most of the guys signed were 4*s & wanted by a good number of other schools.

Personally. I'd rather let JF3 run the O. Everybody points out his flawed mechanics but look at NM in 2013. His running ability made up for his passing. Maybe the same thing can happen with JF3. It'll come down to how Gus wants his O to function. All 3 of the options have flaws. Pick your poison.

Disagree. It will come down to who Gus trust the most in terms of not turning the ball over.

But it's the coaches' job to evaluate talent and be able to spot busts, is it not? The fact that both Kiehl and Jeremy were busts says something about Gus's ability to either evaluate or develop talent (or both). If this year is a meltdown, we need a new coach, because Woody Barrett should not be receiving development from Gus and Lashlee.

But it's the coaches' job to evaluate talent and be able to spot busts, is it not? The fact that both Kiehl and Jeremy were busts says something about Gus's ability to either evaluate or develop talent (or both). If this year is a meltdown, we need a new coach, because Woody Barrett should not be receiving development from Gus and Lashlee.

From offensive Genius to can't coach. What a transformation ...smh

Guest WarEagleSteve

While Gus did recruit Kiehl and Jeremy, he also signed Cam and Nick. While Cam was only here for a year, Nick most definitely improved each year he played under Gus. I don't think there's quite enough data to definitively make an assessment of Gus and Rhett's ability to develop quarterbacks.

While Gus did recruit Kiehl and Jeremy, he also signed Cam and Nick. While Cam was only here for a year, Nick most definitely improved each year he played under Gus. I don't think there's quite enough data to definitively make an assessment of Gus and Rhett's ability to develop quarterbacks.

Playing devil's advocate here. Cam had already been developed by Urban & Mullen 2 years at Florida. Those 2 seem to be good overall at developing QBs. It's possible they gave Gus a lot to work w/ along w/ Cam being a freak.

Guest WarEagleSteve

^He hasn't shown that he can win without a JUCO falling into his lap.

Perhaps but that statement assumes that the JUCO player arrives on campus as a finished product. Nick Marshall played corner at UGA his freshman year and threw more picks than TDs in junior college. He threw fewer INTs in two years at Auburn than he did in one at the JUCO level and his passing demonstrably improved from 2013 to 2014 (+500 yards and 6 TDs in 2014). Are we to give Gus/Rhett no credit whatsoever for his development in those areas?

^Even if we give Gus/Rhett credit there, I've seen far more busts than successes under CGM. The fact that we're trying to get Webb (on whom Gus's job might depend at this point) tells me that Gus is not good at developing or evaluating QBs. Let's suppose Barrett is our only hope. After JJ and KF, do you really trust Gus with him? I certainly don't. Oh, and because of how many seniors we have starting (three on the OL alone!) don't expect Gus to have a big rebound in '17 either--unless we were to fully commit to it and just sacrifice this year if it starts bad and set up for said big rebound. Unless we get Webb, it might take until 2018 to have a contender again. If it does, let's do it with a new regime--and that includes the AD (easier said than done, but I will do what little I can to get a new AD: not buy tickets).

Archived