Jax State QB

tmjiv

From the little I saw of him, I'd say he's already more refined as a passer than Nick was, but no, he won't be the tip of the spear for one of the best rushing attacks in the history of college football. He's not that kind of athlete. He could be the starting QB for a very, very good offense though. Again, from limited viewing, he looked as good as a guy like Vernon Adams, and although Oregon struggled as a team last year, Adams would have been a sizable upgrade for us last year.

All that said, I am and have been a member of the Sean White bandwagon. I think he's more than capable of leading a very good SEC offense.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FCS playoffs with no week(s) off between games. The kid was playing hurt (recovering from surgery now). NDST has been a juggernaut for years with a championship mindset. They whipped a JSU team whose QB had one hand literally tied behind his back. Against AU, I saw an unflappable NM type QB almost beat an SEC D1 team in front of a hostile 80K plus crowd on the road. Put the ball on the money time and time again. In some cases when there was decent coverage. Poise and leadership. When he was healthy, JSU was explosive, even in the playoffs. 5 QBs on scholly? I know conventional wisdom says all players should be recruited from HS and groomed for 2 to 3 years and that's how it's supposed to be done. However, this also means limiting your options or being stuck with what you have, if they don't develop fast enough or pan out. This whole grad transfer process is a relatively new thing. Every team is doing it now. To me, it's another way for Auburn to plug a hole or shore up depth. And if Auburn becomes a destination for good players with starting experience, I'm all for it. From what I've read, the charges will likely be dropped (meaning he didn't beat her). There is such a thing as innocent until proven guilty. Bring him in. I'm happy the coaches are always looking for better players. It shows some creativity and I like it.

Unreal....I have to give you credit for obviously wanting to believe with such passion. Two things spring immediately to mind. First, I'll be very surprised to see Eli Jenkins enroll at Auburn and 2nd, even if he does, I'll be shocked beyond description to see him win the starting job. Sorry but, he is not only no NM, he isn't even in the same league.

Technically if he enrolls he would be in the same league ;)

He'd become a safety in the NFL?

I doubt he has that skill set. Just goes to show what an elite athlete NM really is......Eli Jenkins is not comparable to NM for a host of reasons.

Easy to s

FCS playoffs with no week(s) off between games. The kid was playing hurt (recovering from surgery now). NDST has been a juggernaut for years with a championship mindset. They whipped a JSU team whose QB had one hand literally tied behind his back. Against AU, I saw an unflappable NM type QB almost beat an SEC D1 team in front of a hostile 80K plus crowd on the road. Put the ball on the money time and time again. In some cases when there was decent coverage. Poise and leadership. When he was healthy, JSU was explosive, even in the playoffs. 5 QBs on scholly? I know conventional wisdom says all players should be recruited from HS and groomed for 2 to 3 years and that's how it's supposed to be done. However, this also means limiting your options or being stuck with what you have, if they don't develop fast enough or pan out. This whole grad transfer process is a relatively new thing. Every team is doing it now. To me, it's another way for Auburn to plug a hole or shore up depth. And if Auburn becomes a destination for good players with starting experience, I'm all for it. From what I've read, the charges will likely be dropped (meaning he didn't beat her). There is such a thing as innocent until proven guilty. Bring him in. I'm happy the coaches are always looking for better players. It shows some creativity and I like it.

Unreal....I have to give you credit for obviously wanting to believe with such passion. Two things spring immediately to mind. First, I'll be very surprised to see Eli Jenkins enroll at Auburn and 2nd, even if he does, I'll be shocked beyond description to see him win the starting job. Sorry but, he is not only no NM, he isn't even in the same league.

Technically if he enrolls he would be in the same league ;)

He'd become a safety in the NFL?

I doubt he has that skill set. Just goes to show what an elite athlete NM really is......Eli Jenkins is not comparable to NM for a host of reasons.

Easy to say that now. We forget that when NM came in, no one really expected he would have the success he had.

I said he would start IMMEDIATELY because he had no competition for the job. I would venture to guess that Auburn has 3 or more QBs on the roster now that are better than KF ever was.

The reality of the situation is that, if Gus is really set on getting Jenkins, it's not because he thinks Sean or even Queen aren't good QBs. It can only be because he is sold out on the zone-read and he realizes that the Franklin experiment isn't going to pan out how he hoped and his other QBs just aren't suited for the zone-read being the focus of the offense. Whether that is because he really thinks we need that particular edge, or he is afraid our receiver corps won't be ready to support a play action offense, this year, is undetermined.

The secondary reality is that there is a giant hurdle to conquer to bring Jenkins in, since he has pending legal issues that fit squarely into the new SEC policy preventing transfers of students with specific violations, so Gus better have a solid plan B... maybe a grad transfer receiver who doesn't have "issues".

80 is right. watson and harris were higher takes in that class for us. i think Gus scared them off by publicly crowning JJ as his "NFL guy". Would loved to have Watson but I'll take SW over Harris even now. none of this is a knock against SW, it is just the way it was.

Yes, the perception of JJ hurt us in recruiting that year. The better QBs who wanted to play early, thought they would be riding the pine at AU for 2 years. But, it didn't quite work out that way. That in turn caused a ripple effect on the QBs up and down the roster. So unless we strike gold in the free agent market, our QBs are just going to have to step up earlier than planned in some cases. We don't have any other options.

I don't think Watson picked Clemson because he was scared of competing with Johnson. I think he picked Clemson because he liked them more.

My take.

Gus is fighting for his job. I know some of you disagree, but this year will make it or break it. I didn't watch the spring game, I honestly have no idea how any of our quarterbacks looked. From all I've read not so good.

If all Gus has to do is roll the dice and waste a 1 year scholarship on a player who could potentially help why not, what has really got to lose?

Sometimes gambles pay off.

My take.

Gus is fighting for his job. I know some of you disagree, but this year will make it or break it. I didn't watch the spring game, I honestly have no idea how any of our quarterbacks looked. From all I've read not so good.

If all Gus has to do is roll the dice and waste a 1 year scholarship on a player who could potentially help why not, what has really got to lose?

Sometimes gambles pay off.

I totally agree but it would help if the player he's rolling the dice on can actually help.

From the little I saw of him, I'd say he's already more refined as a passer than Nick was, but no, he won't be the tip of the spear for one of the best rushing attacks in the history of college football. He's not that kind of athlete. He could be the starting QB for a very, very good offense though. Again, from limited viewing, he looked as good as a guy like Vernon Adams, and although Oregon struggled as a team last year, Adams would have been a sizable upgrade for us last year.

All that said, I am and have been a member of the Sean White bandwagon. I think he's more than capable of leading a very good SEC offense.

Amen and Amen

As far as the charge goes, I'd be surprised if anything came of it. The arguments on this board are worse then EJ'S situation from what I'm told what happened with him and his girlfriend was nothing more then a heated discussion if that. It was made worse by what the neighbors thought they heard. Now as far as him being the savior to our season I'm still on the fence if he has the ability to do any better then some of our other QB's. if they are not put in a position to succeed they will all fail, which is what I think we are doing by forcing SW into a zone read offense.

As far as the charge goes, I'd be surprised if anything came of it. The arguments on this board are worse then EJ'S situation from what I'm told what happened with him and his girlfriend was nothing more then a heated discussion if that. It was made worse by what the neighbors thought they heard. Now as far as him being the savior to our season I'm still on the fence if he has the ability to do any better then some of our other QB's. if they are not put in a position to succeed they will all fail, which is what I think we are doing by forcing SW into a zone read offense.

I'm certain you will find that, if Sean is our starting QB, we will run a primarily play-action offense with some zone-read thrown in to keep things honest and not a primarily zone-read offense. I'm sure the question Gus is trying to answer, now, is do we have the receiving talent to run a successful pass-heavy offense. That's hard to answer when a large chunk of our receiver talent isn't even on campus, yet.

I'm certain you will find that, if Sean is our starting QB, we will run a primarily play-action offense with some zone-read thrown in to keep things honest and not a primarily zone-read offense. I'm sure the question Gus is trying to answer, now, is do we have the receiving talent to run a successful pass-heavy offense. That's hard to answer when a large chunk of our receiver talent isn't even on campus, yet.

I agree the first week or two of Fall camp when the coaches get to look at receiving talent that is already here and that is coming in will probably go a long way in determining which QB will win the job. Any play action QB needs good to great receivers to allow the QB to take advantage of his skill set.

Where is this coming from? Info about the case

Eli would start day one, he is a much more polished passed than NM was, he and Jovon would be hard to stop. I still believe we can win with JF3 or SW but Eli is almost like SW and JF3 in one body.

No, he isn't. We saw him play last year. There is no comparison between his speed/quickness and John Franklin's speed/quickness. I think Jenkins can play, but he's not as fast as Nick Marshall was. Nick isn't as fast (or even all that close) as Franklin. Even without a big run on A-Day, you can see the speed.

Jenkins is a dual-threat QB without a "special" threat. He's not an elite runner. He's not an elite passer. He's good at both. I understand what you're saying, he's a better passer than Franklin (not hard) and a better runner than White (harder than you would think), but he's neither as refined a passer as Sean nor as electric a runner as John. It's likely his ballhandling is much better than both. That is a bigger deal than people think in running this offense.

As far as the charge goes, I'd be surprised if anything came of it. The arguments on this board are worse then EJ'S situation from what I'm told what happened with him and his girlfriend was nothing more then a heated discussion if that.

The way the judge is handling the case leads me to believe that there was nothing physical about the altercation. That's pure speculation though.

No, he isn't. We saw him play last year. There is no comparison between his speed/quickness and John Franklin's speed/quickness. I think Jenkins can play, but he's not as fast as Nick Marshall was. Nick isn't as fast (or even all that close) as Franklin. Even without a big run on A-Day, you can see the speed.

Jenkins is a dual-threat QB without a "special" threat. He's not an elite runner. He's not an elite passer. He's good at both. I understand what you're saying, he's a better passer than Franklin (not hard) and a better runner than White (harder than you would think), but he's neither as refined a passer as Sean nor as electric a runner as John. It's likely his ballhandling is much better than both. That is a bigger deal than people think in running this offense.

Fair analysis but in the end I believe Sean White will be the guy. I do not believe EJ will enroll in Auburn and do not believe it is essential for Gus to have a DT QB to win but I realize I'm in the minority with that opinion.

That's why I said "almost" like both in one body.

And elite passer? Sean is not one either. He may become one but if he already was, A starting QB would have been named in the spring.

Cam was not an elite passer or runner. But he was good at both, as u said Ball handling is very very important.

That statement is just not true. Cam was an elite runner by almost every statistic available.

I just meant Speed wise. His vision and power were a thing of beauty. He was fast but not elite fast is what I meant

I'm going to say for his size, he was just about at the top of the curve for speed. I know what you are saying though. If we were creating Cam Newton on NCAA, he might be a 90 for speed, but definitely not a 99 or 100.

I just meant Speed wise. His vision and power were a thing of beauty. He was fast but not elite fast is what I meant

Patrick Peterson sure couldn't handle Cam's second gear. Of course, that probably had a lot to do with the fact that, when you're built like a house, you can just carry those who are faster than you along for the ride.

Archived