Jax State QB

tmjiv

I would say that based on the coaches actions of brining another QB in, then they do not believe we currently have better option. I would also say these same action indicate they do not want to change their coaching scheme. They in a sense did that last year and it resulted in maybe the worst GM offense he has fielded as coach or coordinator.

GM offenses seem to require a QB that is more than just competent. Is EJ that guy? I don't know.

There are numerous reasons that the coaches would want to bring on another QB that have been outlined by numerous people here...

• Depth, when 1 of our QBs hasn't proven he can handle it mentally, one hasn't proven that he can stay healthy for more than a scrimmage, and one is a true freshman.
  • Lack of capability at receiver if the true freshman aren't ready to go.
  • Only 1 zone-read QB, and a small one at that, so losing him would all but eliminate that weapon from our playbook.

The "none of our QBs are any good" theory doesn't hold water (all you have to do is watch video of last year to know that), and the change of scheme, last year, had nothing to do with our offensive woes. It was a combination of mental and physical breakdown that could have happened to any team running any scheme. In fact, it is easier for it to happen with zone-read teams, because their QBs take far more abuse.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll buy that Cam wasn't an elite passer when he walked through the doors. He had an elite passing season and progressed as a passer. He was further along than Jenkins looked last year. In part, that's because Cam had a much stronger arm. He could make throws that you don't see from Jenkins, both downfield and on deep outs.

Jenkins looks like a guy that could be an improvement, but that's not a lock. He has an odd delivery that whips the ball out around shoulder height as opposed to delivering it over the top. He's 6'3", but I'll bet the exit point for the ball is the same height as Sean White's delivery. Even watching that highlight tape, the ball doesn't jump out of his hand or anything. At least on his film, he doesn't show the arm strength to stretch the field the way Nick and/or Cam did. Heck, Nick had a stronger arm than Cam.

What I see is a guy that's a good passer with adequate arm strength, a pretty quick delivery, and accuracy that seems to improve on the move. Those are positives. I also see a guy with an oddly low delivery, sloppy footwork in the pocket, a tendency to stare down WRs, and a gunslinger (I mean, the throw against Auburn in that highlight package worked but it was incredibly dumb... that was blind luck, not good QB play). Those are, in my view, negatives. He's a good runner with very good ballhandling. The latter matters quite a bit, and for me, it was the worst part of watching Franklin. Despite his fumble at A-Day, White is actually pretty good with the ball.

If he comes, I don't see a lock to start, but I do think he's likely our 1 or 2. That's not nothing. If the domestic violence thing really is overblown and gets dismissed, I'd be okay giving the guy a shot. We'll have to make a call on reps in fall practice sooner than later, but that's why we pay our coaching staff handsomely.

That's what I see as well. I don't think he's a bad QB at all, but I also don't think he's the plug-and-play upgrade that others think he is. In one fall, he would have to learn a new offense, and adjust to FBS and SEC play in order to start over two other guys that were 4* FBS recruits, have starting SEC experience, and at least two years in our offense. I think we're better off focusing the fall on the players we already have on campus. We needed immediate help at QB in 2013, but we have no such pressing need right now. It makes no sense for Eli Jenkins to transfer here to compete for the starting job in the fall, and it makes no sense for us to promise it to him to get him.

^If there hasn't been any separation at QB as the mods and coaches have said, why not? Are we not due for a good QB somewhere? Finding one can't be that hard. As someone a couple posts ago said, he seems as if he'd be at least adequate, which would be a huge improvement over last year. If we get him I think 9-4 is a very reachable goal.

Just an FYI, whether Eli comes to AU or not may not be decided to mid June. Even if charges are dropped AU may still have to get a waiver from the SEC to bring him in.

And technically this thread should be in the recruiting forum since Eli is not a current AU player.

^If there hasn't been any separation at QB as the mods and coaches have said, why not? Are we not due for a good QB somewhere? Finding one can't be that hard. As someone a couple posts ago said, he seems as if he'd be at least adequate, which would be a huge improvement over last year. If we get him I think 9-4 is a very reachable goal.

I believe we have a "good enough" QB on campus now. Coaching and development is the problem in my opinion, not talent.

wde

I still think the ability Eli posses is much higher than our current QB's. Y'all know I think JF3 starts but I only see us as an 8 win team with our current QB's and IMO Eli could make us SEC champ contenders. Just as Nick did. He is very polished in the Zone read and would allow the coaches to work less with that part in the fall.

The reality of the situation is that, if Gus is really set on getting Jenkins, it's not because he thinks Sean or even Queen aren't good QBs. It can only be because he is sold out on the zone-read and he realizes that the Franklin experiment isn't going to pan out how he hoped and his other QBs just aren't suited for the zone-read being the focus of the offense. Whether that is because he really thinks we need that particular edge, or he is afraid our receiver corps won't be ready to support a play action offense, this year, is undetermined.

The secondary reality is that there is a giant hurdle to conquer to bring Jenkins in, since he has pending legal issues that fit squarely into the new SEC policy preventing transfers of students with specific violations, so Gus better have a solid plan B... maybe a grad transfer receiver who doesn't have "issues".

Who says that Jenkins is a zone read qb? And you're right there are many different scenarios that can be from this and one of those is the one you think is ridiculous, that he's not pleased with any of the qb's

And why can you so easy say that he's not pleased with Franklin but not the other qb's?

9-4 is a very reachable goal with what we have already. Our offensive problems last year were not merely the result of poor QB play, or the fact that we weren't running 2013's offense. QB play is not helped when receivers are not consistently getting open or catching the ball. Duke Williams was supposed to be an important part of the offense last year. He ended up not playing very well, and eventually got kicked off the team. #2 was an inconsistent Ricardo Louis. We had absolutely no reliable "go-to" WR last year. We may not this year either, but I really hope WR is a position that can only improve after last year.

I also tend to think that having an Onterio McCalebb or Corey Grant running sweeps is more important than many give credit for. Franklin's speed could be huge on sweeps if he's not playing QB. Gus' offense is predicated on stretching the field horizontally AND vertically. We weren't particularly threatening in either regard last year. That's not entirely Sean White or Jeremy Johnson's fault, and I don't think a transfer QB with one fall to adjust from a career of FCS play to FBS SEC play, and learn a new offense, is going to be some magical answer to that. It makes no sense for him to leave unless he's guaranteed a starting position, and I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that we should guarantee him one. At Jacksonville State, he already has a starting job on a team that is likely to make another run at the FCS Championship.

I personally love the way Eli plays the position, especially as a prospect for Gus's offense.

Seems very calm and composed at all time, not afraid to take a hit (in or out of the pocket), great reads for the option, amazing vision and can throw a pretty good ball.

If both parties are interested, I say bring him in and let him compete

9-4 is a very reachable goal with what we have already. Our offensive problems last year were not merely the result of poor QB play, or the fact that we weren't running 2013's offense. QB play is not helped when receivers are not consistently getting open or catching the ball. Duke Williams was supposed to be an important part of the offense last year. He ended up not playing very well, and eventually got kicked off the team. #2 was an inconsistent Ricardo Louis. We had absolutely no reliable "go-to" WR last year. We may not this year either, but I really hope WR is a position that can only improve after last year.

I also tend to think that having an Onterio McCalebb or Corey Grant running sweeps is more important than many give credit for. Franklin's speed could be huge on sweeps if he's not playing QB. Gus' offense is predicated on stretching the field horizontally AND vertically. We weren't particularly threatening in either regard last year. That's not entirely Sean White or Jeremy Johnson's fault, and I don't think a transfer QB with one fall to adjust from a career of FCS play to FBS SEC play, and learn a new offense, is going to be some magical answer to that. It makes no sense for him to leave unless he's guaranteed a starting position, and I haven't seen anything from him to indicate that we should guarantee him one. At Jacksonville State, he already has a starting job on a team that is likely to make another run at the FCS Championship.

last two sentences nailed it.

Just an FYI, whether Eli comes to AU or not may not be decided to mid June. Even if charges are dropped AU may still have to get a waiver from the SEC to bring him in.

And technically this thread should be in the recruiting forum since Eli is not a current AU player.

Actually, it CAN NOT be decided until mid-June, because if the judge doesn't decide whether to drop the charges until June 7. The only way he can come in before that is if the SEC is willing to bypass their own rule. I don't see them doing that for Auburn, especially not when it's still in court.

I still think the ability Eli posses is much higher than our current QB's. Y'all know I think JF3 starts but I only see us as an 8 win team with our current QB's and IMO Eli could make us SEC champ contenders. Just as Nick did. He is very polished in the Zone read and would allow the coaches to work less with that part in the fall.

The Zone-Read is not a one-player thing. We would have to work just as hard in the fall to get the running backs used to how Eli runs it. The Achilles heel of the zone-read is a bad hand-off.

I kind of hope this guy does come aboard. ​Maybe (just maybe) it will stop this ridiculous debate that has been going on for the last.....3 or 4 months as to whether White should start over that backup junior college QB guy.

I kind of hope this guy does come aboard. ​Maybe (just maybe) it will stop this ridiculous debate that has been going on for the last.....3 or 4 months as to whether White should start over that backup junior college QB guy.

Nah... then it will just change to whether Sean should start over a guy who's had a max of 2.5 months to learn Gus's offense.

Nah... then it will just change to whether Sean should start over a guy who's had a max of 2.5 months to learn Gus's offense.

Yup. The same folks who swore that JFIII would start will probably swear that Jenkins will start. And the same folks who think Sean might be a pretty good QB will still think that.

If Gus' offenses require a Cam or Nick Marshall to win an SEC championship (or consistently win 9 or more regular season games) then Gus has failed as a HC. As a college HC, you must build an entire team, not a team whose success is built on a great/dynamic QB. I totally understand that having a great QB always gives you an advantage, but spuat being a prime example, you don't need a great QB to win championships. Ohio State did not have great QB in 2014 either.

wde

AMEN Brother! AMEN!

When the success or failure of a team is so dependent on the QB, then the HC better damn sure do everything in his power to provide the training and development that player needs to carry the team. I thought that by Gus retaining Rhett after last years offensive mess, that he felt like together they were up to the task with the QBs they have recruited. Then they bring in a backup Juco QB to add to the mix.......then a few months later they're rumored to be heavily pursuing a QB rehabbing from surgery with some legal baggage to add to the mix. A fan starts to wonder what is going on? Of course there is always the possibility that Gus brought in JF3 and will bring in Jenkins and convert them to WRs like he's been so apt to do in the past. IDK?

Yup. The same folks who swore that JFIII would start will probably swear that Jenkins will start. And the same folks who think Sean might be a pretty good QB will still think that.

I am firmly in the SW camp, but I would probably jump on the Jenkins bandwagon if he came on board.

If Gus' offenses require a Cam or Nick Marshall to win an SEC championship (or consistently win 9 or more regular season games) then Gus has failed as a HC. As a college HC, you must build an entire team, not a team whose success is built on a great/dynamic QB. I totally understand that having a great QB always gives you an advantage, but spuat being a prime example, you don't need a great QB to win championships. Ohio State did not have great QB in 2014 either.

wde

AMEN Brother! AMEN!

When the success or failure of a team is so dependent on the QB, then the HC better damn sure do everything in his power to provide the training and development that player needs to carry the team. I thought that by Gus retaining Rhett after last years offensive mess, that he felt like together they were up to the task with the QBs they have recruited. Then they bring in a backup Juco QB to add to the mix.......then a few months later they're rumored to be heavily pursuing a QB rehabbing from surgery with some legal baggage to add to the mix. A fan starts to wonder what is going on? Of course there is always the possibility that Gus brought in JF3 and will bring in Jenkins and convert them to WRs like he's been so apt to do in the past. IDK?

The only thing that we do know is that Gus has a plan. He eats, drinks, and sleeps football. Nothing that is happening is without a reason. Also, knowing the way that he runs his offense, and the lessons he learned last year, he likely has back-up plans for his back-up plans, too. No matter what line-upstarts against Clemson, you know there will be more behind who's out there than just that they are the best player we have at the time.

I am firmly in the SW camp, but I would probably jump on the Jenkins bandwagon if he came on board.

I think Jenkins is probably a better QB than Sean- he's a very good athlete, seems to make good decisions and has a ton more experience than Sean does even if in a different offense- so I hear you. I just know better than to ever assume who's going to start at quarterback for Auburn, not that you are at all.

If everything fell into place and Jenkins came on board, my take would be solely based on receivers. If our new receivers come in and produce from day 1, then I would be happy with either out there, and would be totally on board for starting a different QB in different games, depending on the weakness of the opponent. If the receiver corps is struggling, I'd be in the Eli camp.

That being said, I'm totally not in the Eli camp if it gives the impression that Auburn is putting football ahead of the safety of the female students on campus.

If everything fell into place and Jenkins came on board, my take would be solely based on receivers. If our new receivers come in and produce from day 1, then I would be happy with either out there, and would be totally on board for starting a different QB in different games, depending on the weakness of the opponent. If the receiver corps is struggling, I'd be in the Eli camp.

That being said, I'm totally not in the Eli camp if it gives the impression that Auburn is putting football ahead of the safety of the female students on campus.

Agree with that insofar as it relates to his issues with domestic violence. If it turns out he physically battered anyone or even laid a finger on anyone, I would be completely opposed to signing him. I would rather have a 6 loss season (or more) than sign someone with a history of domestic abuse.

The Zone-Read is not a one-player thing. We would have to work just as hard in the fall to get the running backs used to how Eli runs it. The Achilles heel of the zone-read is a bad hand-off.

And if you watched the NDstate game, there were a lot of bad handoffs that put the ball on the ground.

I think what is funny is that these discussions mirror the threads that surrounded Russell Wilson, Nick Marshall, and even Cam to some degree. Large groups of people saying that we don't need another QB and large groups of other people saying we absolutely need another QB. The arguments for and against almost are the same.

Archived