Jax State QB

tmjiv

I just meant Speed wise. His vision and power were a thing of beauty. He was fast but not elite fast is what I meant

I'm not arguing with you, just your statement. He had elite speed.

If elite means in the upper 5% of speed for your position or even your side of the ball, he was elite. If elite means top 5% to ever play the game, then no.

The only guys at QB who might have ever been faster than him were historically the best- think Vick and Crouch.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nick Marshall was faster than Cam IMO. I think you can find a handful of college QBs with faster straight line speed than Cam. Unfortunately for them, you're rarely having to run in a straight line in football. And they are nowhere close to being 6'5 250

I just meant Speed wise. His vision and power were a thing of beauty. He was fast but not elite fast is what I meant

I'm not arguing with you, just your statement. He had elite speed.

If elite means in the upper 5% of speed for your position or even your side of the ball, he was elite. If elite means top 5% to ever play the game, then no.

The only guys at QB who might have ever been faster than him were historically the best- think Vick and Crouch.

I think that's how he is defining elite - The 4.3 type guys (Vick, RGIII...Reggie McNeal and down the line.)

If we need to make a coaching change (which I'm thinking we will if we don't get Eli), are we going to need to bring in another JUCO in '17 to give Barrett another year (WB will eventually be able to start, right)?

As far as the charge goes, I'd be surprised if anything came of it. The arguments on this board are worse then EJ'S situation from what I'm told what happened with him and his girlfriend was nothing more then a heated discussion if that.

The way the judge is handling the case leads me to believe that there was nothing physical about the altercation. That's pure speculation though.

My sister goes to Jsu, is in a sorority and was actually pursued by EJ for a little while. From all she's been able to gather, there was no physical contact and it was actually nothing more then a couple having an argument. Due to the area where it happened it was made more then what it actually was by neighbors. TFWIW just relaying what I was able to gather

As far as the charge goes, I'd be surprised if anything came of it. The arguments on this board are worse then EJ'S situation from what I'm told what happened with him and his girlfriend was nothing more then a heated discussion if that.

The way the judge is handling the case leads me to believe that there was nothing physical about the altercation. That's pure speculation though.

My sister goes to Jsu, is in a sorority and was actually pursued by EJ for a little while. From all she's been able to gather, there was no physical contact and it was actually nothing more then a couple having an argument. Due to the area where it happened it was made more then what it actually was by neighbors. TFWIW just relaying what I was able to gather

That would fit.

If we need to make a coaching change (which I'm thinking we will if we don't get Eli), are we going to need to bring in another JUCO in '17 to give Barrett another year (WB will eventually be able to start, right)?

WB would transfer out.......

So we're stuck with CGM? Oh please no. WTH is it going to take to get good QB play again? And no, SW is not the answer!

That would fit.

She also doesn't believe he will be at Auburn in the fall as of not long after their national title game. She said it could happen because it's been a little while since they talked, but that he posted on social media he couldn't wait to get back on the field with his brothers so who knows but him and the coaches

So 1 QB is going to save our program?

I'm hopeful that the powers in charge of making coaching changes are smarter than that.

Okay I'm lost from all the banter, has Eli Jenkins recently been offered a scholarship to Auburn? What's all the fuss?

No, Auburn has not offered him a scholarship. Even if Auburn is interested (an unknown at this time), he cannot be offered until after he graduates next month.

Thought he graduated Friday? Gus would be insane not to offer him. PleaseElipleeeeease...

Correct, He could graduate April 29, technically not next month. As far as offering him, he didn't look all that great to me. I don't see how he'd help us. His receivers now, they'd be a different story, but this QB is pretty much a "meh". Looks good against minor-league teams but that's a long way from being SEC-ready.

So we're stuck with CGM? Oh please no. WTH is it going to take to get good QB play again? And no, SW is not the answer!

What makes you believe that Jenkins is the key to good QB play and Gus keeping his job after 2016?

wde

Cam was not an elite passer or runner. But he was good at both, as u said Ball handling is very very important.

I thought Cam led the NCAA in QB rating. How can one do that and not be an elite passer?

Cam was not an elite passer or runner. But he was good at both, as u said Ball handling is very very important.

I thought Cam led the NCAA in QB rating. How can one do that and not be an elite passer?

That's a good point. He was underrated as a passer coming out of school. I think everyone appreciates the type of passer he is now.

Not a tough throw by any means, but that 4th down play against Alabama, where we lined up in the pooch punt and he threw a laser to Darvin on the sideline for the first down comes to mind. I thought that was one of the biggest plays of the game, and considering the circumstances, it would have been an easy throw to miss. He rifled it straight into Darvin's chest. I think we lose that game if not for that one play.

So 1 QB is going to save our program?

I'm hopeful that the powers in charge of making coaching changes are smarter than that.

If that one QB is a Cam or even a Nick Marshall (in the the right scheme) for one year then yes 1 QB can save a program short term. IMO, Jenkins is not close to being the QB that Nick was and is not in the same universe as Cam.

In terms of the powers that be in charge of coaching changes....never underestimate the total incompetence in play in the AD.

wde

I find it ridiculous that anyone can suggest Cam is not elite at anything when he (in a single season) passed for 2800+ yards and 30 TD's, rushed for 1400+ yards and 20 TD's, caught a TD pass just for good measure, won the Heisman Trophy, and went 1st overall in the draft.

What makes you believe that Jenkins is the key to good QB play and Gus keeping his job after 2016?

wde

I don't know. I just need SOMETHING to hang my hopes on. How long will it take to get good QB play again, 2019 (Barrett needing a year to backup and then a year of starting under his belt)? Did NM put some kind of mystical tiki curse on our QB position?

wde

I don't know. I just need SOMETHING to hang my hopes on. How long will it take to get good QB play again, 2019 (Barrett needing a year to backup and then a year of starting under his belt)? Did NM put some kind of mystical tiki curse on our QB position?

Then you are not being logical. I believe we have a competent SEC QB on campus right now (SW) with good coaching/scheme. We likely have an All-American QB on campus in JJ if he had the intestinal fortitude, mental toughness and coaching. We have a juco transfer that our coaching staff signed to be the starting QB in JF3 (there is no reason to offer JF3 a scholarship other than for him to be the starting QB). Why you would hang you hat on Jenkins being the savior when we have at least 2 QBs already on campus that are better options at QB than Jenkins.

wde

wde

Then you are not being logical. I believe we have a competent SEC QB on campus right now (SW) with good coaching/scheme. We likely have an All-American QB on campus in JJ if he had the intestinal fortitude, mental toughness and coaching. We have a juco transfer that our coaching staff signed to be the starting QB in JF3 (there is no reason to offer JF3 a scholarship other than for him to be the starting QB). Why you would hang you hat on Jenkins being the savior when we have at least 2 QBs already on campus that are better options at QB than Jenkins.

wde

I would say that based on the coaches actions of brining another QB in, then they do not believe we currently have better option. I would also say these same action indicate they do not want to change their coaching scheme. They in a sense did that last year and it resulted in maybe the worst GM offense he has fielded as coach or coordinator.

GM offenses seem to require a QB that is more than just competent. Is EJ that guy? I don't know.

I'll buy that Cam wasn't an elite passer when he walked through the doors. He had an elite passing season and progressed as a passer. He was further along than Jenkins looked last year. In part, that's because Cam had a much stronger arm. He could make throws that you don't see from Jenkins, both downfield and on deep outs.

Jenkins looks like a guy that could be an improvement, but that's not a lock. He has an odd delivery that whips the ball out around shoulder height as opposed to delivering it over the top. He's 6'3", but I'll bet the exit point for the ball is the same height as Sean White's delivery. Even watching that highlight tape, the ball doesn't jump out of his hand or anything. At least on his film, he doesn't show the arm strength to stretch the field the way Nick and/or Cam did. Heck, Nick had a stronger arm than Cam.

What I see is a guy that's a good passer with adequate arm strength, a pretty quick delivery, and accuracy that seems to improve on the move. Those are positives. I also see a guy with an oddly low delivery, sloppy footwork in the pocket, a tendency to stare down WRs, and a gunslinger (I mean, the throw against Auburn in that highlight package worked but it was incredibly dumb... that was blind luck, not good QB play). Those are, in my view, negatives. He's a good runner with very good ballhandling. The latter matters quite a bit, and for me, it was the worst part of watching Franklin. Despite his fumble at A-Day, White is actually pretty good with the ball.

If he comes, I don't see a lock to start, but I do think he's likely our 1 or 2. That's not nothing. If the domestic violence thing really is overblown and gets dismissed, I'd be okay giving the guy a shot. We'll have to make a call on reps in fall practice sooner than later, but that's why we pay our coaching staff handsomely.

wde

wde

I would say that based on the coaches actions of brining another QB in, then they do not believe we currently have better option. I would also say these same action indicate they do not want to change their coaching scheme. They in a sense did that last year and it resulted in maybe the worst GM offense he has fielded as coach or coordinator.

GM offenses seem to require a QB that is more than just competent. Is EJ that guy? I don't know.

If Gus' offenses require a Cam or Nick Marshall to win an SEC championship (or consistently win 9 or more regular season games) then Gus has failed as a HC. As a college HC, you must build an entire team, not a team whose success is built on a great/dynamic QB. I totally understand that having a great QB always gives you an advantage, but spuat being a prime example, you don't need a great QB to win championships. Ohio State did not have great QB in 2014 either.

wde

wde

wde

I mean, some are (correctly) pointing out that he was up against D2 competition but NM was up against JUCO competition. Neither was up against many SEC-caliber players as QB. If you watch this video you'll see his mechanics are way better than JF3 and he runs the zone read beautifully.

Archived