Jax State QB

tmjiv

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what'll happen IMO

If he comes to AU, we hear it from all rivals, media outlets, and talking heads. Puts AU in a bad light.

However, every single AU fan will treat him with the same love Nick Marshall and Cam Newton got once (if) they (he) started winning at AU. Yes, even those that don't want him here because of his behavior will come around.

Yes, i have done it twice already.

Me too ;D

I used to bang the high horse drum of not taking on kids who need a 2nd chance but then when we have ****** seasons I'm like I'LL TAKE LITERALLY ANYONE AT QB RIGHT NOW IF THEY CAN SCORE TOUCHDOWNS lolol

Of course, the unfortunate difference here is timing. Because of all of the talk about domestic violence and athletes, right now, if they can't show that it was really a non-issue, the backlash could be huge and not just from outside of Auburn.

Bottom Line.....If we take kids that have been kicked off of other teams for theft/rules/academic violations, been arrested, convicted or accused of theft, drugs, domestic violence then it is OK because our coaches are only looking out for the best interest of the individual. War Eagle that. :-\

Exactly!

And if other teams do it, it's because they cheat. They don't care about the young men like we do.

You don't "settle" for a "fill-in" while you have even a remote chance at landing a "bigger fish" during the summer of a recruiting cycle. I am convinced that the staff was very high on SW.

He still has a very good chance at living up to the potential they saw in him. Writing him off at this point in his career is way out of line.

With that said, IF the staff thinks that Eli gives the team a better chance to win, OR they are concerned about SW's durability and need a really good back up plan, then by all means, let's go get him. Gus and Co. are feeling the pressure and are taking serious measures to make sure the 2015 QB debacle doesn't happen again.

There seems to be some enthusiasm for this Jenkins kid tempered with a wait and see attitude pending his pending legal issues. Ive also read that some believe he should get a lot of credit for his body of work and shouldn't be judged too harshly for his meltdown in their CS game.

I disagree. Obviously, I don't share the enthusiasm, legal problems or not. and if his body of work wasn't against Ohio Valley Conference opponents, a powder puff league, maybe his poor performance against Montana State wouldn't be as problematic. Im also not especially enamored with his outing against Auburn, albeit was a very good performance. Auburn has a history of making unknown QBs look like Heisman candidates. That defense had no mojo that day and played extremely poorly. Any team in the SEC would have beaten a sleep walking Auburn handily on that day. Even though I give him credit for almost pulling off the upset that day, doesn't mean I believe he'd perform similarly week in and week out in the SEC.

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple and one mine is he wouldn't be much help especially given the fact that Auburn will have 5, count 'em, 5 QBs on scholarship in the fall. How anyone believes there would time to rep this guy and get him ready for Clemson and the SEC in a couple weeks time is beyond me...next!

Considering how you had all that to say about him and you patted yourself on the back because you told everybody we didn't have interest in him.....I can see why you'd say this

If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

That's faulty logic. The fact that he's FCS doesn't mean he's bad. A guy from North Dakota State is about to be a top 5 draft pick. (No, they're not FCS, but I guarantee you Jax St could beat them in any given year.) Now, if you watch him play football and think he's bad, then I question your judgment, but at least you've formed your opinion based on actual information.

And I'm not sure what Eli Jenkins or David Webb or any transfer says about our QBs. I don't understand that logic, either. The fact that the 5 QBs everybody keeps citing are a sophomore, an up-til-now failure, a 3* athlete project, a redshirt freshman who can't keep his arm out of a sling and therefore has barely thrown a football in 2 years, and a kid still in high school doesn't say enough? Y'all need additional information to be concerned about our QB situation???

The logic is contained in the paragraph, not that single sentence. I'm not saying Eli Jenkins is bad, or that he's bad simply because he's an FCS player. What I'm saying is that it troubles me if we're after a career FCS grad transfer to come in and take over for two QB's that have at least two years of experience in our offense, SEC starting experience, and were 4* FBS recruits. It's even more troubling if he's going to come in and do that after one fall. He obviously wouldn't be coming here to ride the bench and give us depth, he's coming to start. I've stayed high on Malzahn, and kept the faith, but the QB position is not one we should be looking for grad transfers to fill heading into a head coach's 4th season.

It is a bummer that Eli Jenkins is better than Jeremy Johnson. I agree with that. And I agree that it's a bummer that Jeremy was in the system for awhile and turned out quite terribly in 2015.

Sean White had 1 previous season as a third stringer behind a national title participant and Mr. All World backup. He began his redshirt freshman season as a backup, didn't take a snap until game 4, then got hurt pretty quickly. He's still very inexperienced, certainly relative to Jenkins. Jenkins was a very polished quarterback heading into 2015. Sean still isn't and couldn't possibly be a polished QB. Experience matters.

Let me ask you this: if a Russell Wilson clone came in right now and won the job, would that mean that Auburn's in deep trouble? Or would that just mean that a really, really good quarterback came in and won the job? No, Eli Jenkins 2016 isn't Russell Wilson 2011, but the point remains that a really good, very experienced quarterback being better than 1 bust and 4 extremely inexperienced guys isn't necessarily a death knell for the program.

I threw in an edit after you quoted the post. North Dakota State is an FCS program, and they beat Jacksonville State 37-10.

I'm not convinced that Eli Jenkins is better than Jeremy Johnson, last year or this year. I'm certainly not convinced he would have played better than JJ had he been Auburn's QB last year. Jenkins played well against a massively overrated Auburn team that was not even remotely interested in playing them, in what was probably one of the games of his life. While watching that game, I was not thinking that I wish we had Jacksonville State's QB, I was thinking I wish we had those two receivers that were making plays all over the field. Had they played LSU or Alabama, they would have received the throttling that they were expected to get from us, and no one would be talking about Eli Jenkins.

Do you take a Russell Wilson clone? Absolutely. Do you take a really good QB when you have some question marks at the position? Absolutely. Do I think Eli Jenkins is a really good QB? No, I do not. I think he's a good FCS QB with a good supporting unit. Could he be a really good SEC QB? Who knows. I certainly do not think he's a plug-and-play upgrade.

LOL at people who keep saying "We already have 5 QBs". Do y'all think we can add them all together and make 1 really good quarterback? Is that why you keep saying that?

I must admit, having Voltron under center would be pretty dope.

Nope but getting reps is the pivotal issue. Which guy would you deprive reps in order for Jenkins to get ready in the preseason? All of them? Thats near to what it would take. Frankly, its almost a moot point and I have no problem going on record and say, if Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, Auburn is in deep deep trouble at the QB position, if for no other reason, there isn't sufficient time to get him anywhere close to being ready. Its not going to happen.

If Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, I'm definitely concerned about the QB position. Each of the two starters last year were 4* recruits, have at least two years practicing in this offense, and have SEC experience. One of them played pretty well prior to injury. If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

It is somewhat distressing that AU needs a QB but it certainly looks that way. Not trying to stir up controversy, but the coaching staff was banking everything on JJ being a competent QB. I believe SW was a fill in recruit. AU had 2 or 3 on the board that we did not get. All are starting elsewhere (Clemson, LSU, FSU). I believe we "settled" for SW because we had to have a QB. In retrospect we did. It seems that GM believe he has to have something different to be better this year.

We "settled" for SW by accepting his commitment a good 8 months or so before signing day...you know because we already knew that even 8 months couldn't give us enough time to get someone better. Right? Good grief. This isn't the first time someone has attempted this stance and I'm sure it won't be the last. You don't "settle" for a guy the summer before signing day. Period.

I knew SW family members would be upset if you dare mention that he was not our number 1 target that year. There were other QB's ahead of him on our take list that year. I think most people would agree with that. He was further down our list. If Watson or Harris had said they were coming to AU, do you think we would have taken SW? I don't.

LOL at people who keep saying "We already have 5 QBs". Do y'all think we can add them all together and make 1 really good quarterback? Is that why you keep saying that?

Lol...that was funny

Nope but getting reps is the pivotal issue. Which guy would you deprive reps in order for Jenkins to get ready in the preseason? All of them? Thats near to what it would take. Frankly, its almost a moot point and I have no problem going on record and say, if Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, Auburn is in deep deep trouble at the QB position, if for no other reason, there isn't sufficient time to get him anywhere close to being ready. Its not going to happen.

If Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, I'm definitely concerned about the QB position. Each of the two starters last year were 4* recruits, have at least two years practicing in this offense, and have SEC experience. One of them played pretty well prior to injury. If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

It is somewhat distressing that AU needs a QB but it certainly looks that way. Not trying to stir up controversy, but the coaching staff was banking everything on JJ being a competent QB. I believe SW was a fill in recruit. AU had 2 or 3 on the board that we did not get. All are starting elsewhere (Clemson, LSU, FSU). I believe we "settled" for SW because we had to have a QB. In retrospect we did. It seems that GM believe he has to have something different to be better this year.

We "settled" for SW by accepting his commitment a good 8 months or so before signing day...you know because we already knew that even 8 months couldn't give us enough time to get someone better. Right? Good grief. This isn't the first time someone has attempted this stance and I'm sure it won't be the last. You don't "settle" for a guy the summer before signing day. Period.

I knew SW family members would be upset if you dare mention that he was not our number 1 target that year. There were other QB's ahead of him on our take list that year. I think most people would agree with that. He was further down our list. If Watson or Harris had said they were coming to AU, do you think we would have taken SW? I don't.

Yes, we would have taken both. White was not a back up plan. He was high up on the original list. If you're claiming that getting the number three quarterback on your list is a back up plan and a fill in recruit, 95% of every class we've ever had is full of back up plans and fill ins..... Along with everyone else's class pretty much ever.

Strychnine: given how big a part JJ's mental problems were, Jenkins probably would have won us two more games at least (mediocre QB play would have beaten Georgia and a running QB threat at the goal line would have beaten both Misses). He runs the zone read perfectly and has more size and better mechanics than JF3 (who could potentially make a great flanker receiver).

Certainly we would have taken White under those circumstances. We accepted his commitment when those other guys were still up in the air. Sean White was not a fallback plan, he was a top level choice.

[quote name=TheBlueVue'

timestamp='1461690853' post='2467591]

LOL at people who keep saying "We already have 5 QBs". Do y'all think we can add them all together and make 1 really good quarterback? Is

that why you keep saying that?

Nope but getting reps is the pivotal issue. Which guy would you deprive reps in order for Jenkins to get ready in the preseason? All of them? Thats near to what it would take. Frankly, its almost a moot point and I have no problem

going on record and say, if Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, Auburn is in deep deep trouble at the QB position, if for no other reason, there isn't sufficient time to get him anywhere close to being ready. Its not going to

happen.

If Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins,

I'm definitely concerned about the QB position. Each of the two starters last year were 4* recruits, have at least two years practicing in this offense, and have SEC experience. One of

them played pretty well prior to injury. If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

It is somewhat distressing that AU needs a QB but it certainly looks that way. Not trying to stir up controversy, but the coaching staff was banking everything on JJ being a competent QB.

I believe SW was a fill in recruit. AU had 2 or 3 on the board that we did not get. All are starting elsewhere (Clemson, LSU, FSU). I believe we "settled" for SW because we had to have a QB.

In retrospect we did. It seems that GM believe he has to have something different to be better this year.

We "settled" for SW by accepting his commitment a good 8 months or so before

signing day...you know because we already knew that even 8 months couldn't give us enough time to get someone better. Right? Good grief. This isn't the first time someone has

attempted this stance and I'm sure it won't be the last. You don't "settle" for a guy the summer before signing day. Period.

I knew SW family members would be upset if

you dare mention that he was not our number 1 target that year. There were other QB's ahead of him on our take list that year. I think most people would agree with that. He was further down our list. If Watson or Harris had said they were

coming to AU, do you think we would have taken SW? I don't.

Yes, we would have taken both. White was not a back up plan. He was high up on the original

list. If you're claiming that getting the number three quarterback on your list is a back up plan and a fill in recruit, 95% of every class we've ever had is full of back up plans and fill ins..... Along with everyone else's class pretty much

ever.

No we would not have taken him. He was not even on our original list. He was a late add to the list in the spring. I think Watson was already committed to Clemson and Harris was looking to be LSU. He was not even in the conversation before the spring.

If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

That's faulty logic. The fact that he's FCS doesn't mean he's bad. A guy from North Dakota State is about to be a top 5 draft pick. (No, they're not FCS, but I guarantee you Jax St could beat them in any given year.) Now, if you watch him play football and think he's bad, then I question your judgment, but at least you've formed your opinion based on actual information.

And I'm not sure what Eli Jenkins or David Webb or any transfer says about our QBs. I don't understand that logic, either. The fact that the 5 QBs everybody keeps citing are a sophomore, an up-til-now failure, a 3* athlete project, a redshirt freshman who can't keep his arm out of a sling and therefore has barely thrown a football in 2 years, and a kid still in high school doesn't say enough? Y'all need additional information to be concerned about our QB situation???

The logic is contained in the paragraph, not that single sentence. I'm not saying Eli Jenkins is bad, or that he's bad simply because he's an FCS player. What I'm saying is that it troubles me if we're after a career FCS grad transfer to come in and take over for two QB's that have at least two years of experience in our offense, SEC starting experience, and were 4* FBS recruits. It's even more troubling if he's going to come in and do that after one fall. He obviously wouldn't be coming here to ride the bench and give us depth, he's coming to start. I've stayed high on Malzahn, and kept the faith, but the QB position is not one we should be looking for grad transfers to fill heading into a head coach's 4th season.

It is a bummer that Eli Jenkins is better than Jeremy Johnson. I agree with that. And I agree that it's a bummer that Jeremy was in the system for awhile and turned out quite terribly in 2015.

Sean White had 1 previous season as a third stringer behind a national title participant and Mr. All World backup. He began his redshirt freshman season as a backup, didn't take a snap until game 4, then got hurt pretty quickly. He's still very inexperienced, certainly relative to Jenkins. Jenkins was a very polished quarterback heading into 2015. Sean still isn't and couldn't possibly be a polished QB. Experience matters.

Let me ask you this: if a Russell Wilson clone came in right now and won the job, would that mean that Auburn's in deep trouble? Or would that just mean that a really, really good quarterback came in and won the job? No, Eli Jenkins 2016 isn't Russell Wilson 2011, but the point remains that a really good, very experienced quarterback being better than 1 bust and 4 extremely inexperienced guys isn't necessarily a death knell for the program.

Show me the Russell Wilson clone and we'll talk. It aint Eli Jenkins and thats not even subject to a debate. RW played as a starter in the ACC for a couple years where the competition is like the NFL compared to the Ohio Valley Conference. Your estimation of this guy is so far over the top its ridiculous and Im pretty comfortable opining that if he comes to Auburn he'll ride the pines or pick up another position,.

80, your not exactly right in your assumptions on SW.

I went back and looked at SW recruiting thread to see if my memory was right ir wrong. The thread started in late June of 2013. Lots of talk of was he a backup plane for Watson or Harris. A lot of people liked his film. Watson was to Clemson at this point and talk of flipping but Harris had not committed. Ellitor posted that Harris was coming to AU to visit in July and coaches would no more. Ellitor went onto say it is why SW did currently not hold an offer from AU as of July 2013. My reasoning for saying he was a back up plan and if we had either Harris or Watson he would not have been a take. Sorry about not linking those E quotes but they are in SW recruiting thread.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/game?gameId=400857728

You might want to be accurate on your info before you form your "opinion"

I went back and looked at SW recruiting thread to see if my memory was right ir wrong. The thread started in late June of 2013. Lots of talk of was he a backup plane for Watson or Harris. A lot of people liked his film. Watson was to Clemson at this point and talk of flipping but Harris had not committed. Ellitor posted that Harris was coming to AU to visit in July and coaches would no more. Ellitor went onto say it is why SW did currently not hold an offer from AU as of July 2013. My reasoning for saying he was a back up plan and if we had either Harris or Watson he would not have been a take. Sorry about not linking those E quotes but they are in SW recruiting thread.

You're pretty much right. If we had our choice and picked our top guys we wanted sw is a back up at most. But that doesn't mean it always work out who's the best player (in this case it seems it did though).

So you think they offered him a committable offer almost immediately after having him on campus to see him throw for the first time because he was a backup plan? You base this on the fact that earlier in the process we were higher on someone else? By that same logic, Cam Newton was a wayyy back up plan...and so was anyone that committed after SW (i.e. most of the rest of the class). By your same logic, I'd say we only land our top choices maybe 5 times a decade. Let me guess..TQ was a backup plan also??? He only committed well over a year early...clearly there were higher rated QBs at the time...so we must have just given up over a year in advance of signing day on ever getting anyone better and settled for TQ, right?

[quote name=bigbird' timestamp='1461714564'

post='2467688]

I went back and looked at SW recruiting thread

to see if my memory was right ir wrong. The thread started in late June of 2013. Lots of talk of was he a backup plane for Watson or Harris. A lot of people liked his film. Watson was to

Clemson at this point and talk of flipping but Harris had not committed. Ellitor posted that Harris was coming to AU to visit in July and coaches would no more. Ellitor went onto say it is why SW did currently not hold an offer from AU as of July 2013. My reasoning for saying he was a back up plan and if we had either Harris or Watson he would not have been a take. Sorry

about not linking those E quotes but they are in SW recruiting thread.

So you think they offered him a committable offer almost immediately after having him on campus to see him throw for the first time because he was a backup plan? You base this

on the fact that earlier in the process we were higher on someone else? By that same logic, Cam Newton was a wayyy back up plan...and so was anyone that committed after SW (i.e.

most of the rest of the class). By your same logic, I'd say we only land our top choices maybe 5 times a decade. Let me guess..TQ was a backup plan also??? He only committed

well over a year early...clearly there were higher rated QBs at the time...so we must have just given up over a year in advance of signing day

on ever getting anyone better and settled for TQ, right?

Just stop ok. I gave some historical background and it doesn't fit your narrative so now your mad. You are coming off as irrational. You are losing any credibility that you may have had.

80, very valid points and research. I appreciate it. That said, I was personally told during his recruitment by one of the coaches that the O coaches were blown away by SW and considered him 1b to Watson's 1A. I can't back it up with anything concrete...Just passing on other info.

80 is right. watson and harris were higher takes in that class for us. i think Gus scared them off by publicly crowning JJ as his "NFL guy". Would loved to have Watson but I'll take SW over Harris even now. none of this is a knock against SW, it is just the way it was.

Sean was like the 5th highest rated QB in his class. Drop back passer that is. Also if you remember correctly every one was claiming all we needed was an good passer to go with our dominate run game at that point. I'm so sick of these arm chair coaches think they have a clue what QB fundamentals are.

If our coaches had sw rated the same as Watson then that explains alot about us not evaluating talent right.

If our coaches had sw rated the same as Watson then that explains alot about is not evaluating talent right.

If you wanted to accuse the coaching staff of failing to evaluate talent well, I'm pretty sure I could not disagree.

Here it is Tuesday night and the Monday morning Quite Bs are still up telling us how smart they are.......when looking backwards.

Archived