Jax State QB

tmjiv

If Gus' offenses require a Cam or Nick Marshall to win an SEC championship (or consistently win 9 or more regular season games) then Gus has failed as a HC. As a college HC, you must build an entire team, not a team whose success is built on a great/dynamic QB. I totally understand that having a great QB always gives you an advantage, but spuat being a prime example, you don't need a great QB to win championships. Ohio State did not have great QB in 2014 either.

wde

AMEN Brother! AMEN!

When the success or failure of a team is so dependent on the QB, then the HC better damn sure do everything in his power to provide the training and development that player needs to carry the team. I thought that by Gus retaining Rhett after last years offensive mess, that he felt like together they were up to the task with the QBs they have recruited. Then they bring in a backup Juco QB to add to the mix.......then a few months later they're rumored to be heavily pursuing a QB rehabbing from surgery with some legal baggage to add to the mix. A fan starts to wonder what is going on? Of course there is always the possibility that Gus brought in JF3 and will bring in Jenkins and convert them to WRs like he's been so apt to do in the past. IDK?

The only thing that we do know is that Gus has a plan. He eats, drinks, and sleeps football. Nothing that is happening is without a reason. Also, knowing the way that he runs his offense, and the lessons he learned last year, he likely has back-up plans for his back-up plans, too. No matter what line-upstarts against Clemson, you know there will be more behind who's out there than just that they are the best player we have at the time.

I hope you are right. There were many times, specifically with the offensive play calling and some of the roster management throughout last season that it looked he was running by the seat of his pants without a main plan or even a backup plan. (The UGA game at the end of the season was just bad.)

We will see right out off the bat if he learned lessons from the entire 2015 and the end of the 2014 seasons. Our schedule is a beast.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what is funny is that these discussions mirror the threads that surrounded Russell Wilson, Nick Marshall, and even Cam to some degree. Large groups of people saying that we don't need another QB and large groups of other people saying we absolutely need another QB. The arguments for and against almost are the same.

Yup. Zeke Pike was listed as one of the reasons we didn't need Russell Wilson.

Just an FYI, whether Eli comes to AU or not may not be decided to mid June. Even if charges are dropped AU may still have to get a waiver from the SEC to bring him in.

And technically this thread should be in the recruiting forum since Eli is not a current AU player.

Actually, it CAN NOT be decided until mid-June, because if the judge doesn't decide whether to drop the charges until June 7. The only way he can come in before that is if the SEC is willing to bypass their own rule. I don't see them doing that for Auburn, especially not when it's still in court.

I thought so too but I'm hearing conflicting info that if the charges are dropped the process could be sped up regardless of the June 7 court date. Also Eli graduates from Jax. St tomorrow FWIW.

The only thing that we do know is that Gus has a plan. He eats, drinks, and sleeps football. Nothing that is happening is without a reason. Also, knowing the way that he runs his offense, and the lessons he learned last year, he likely has back-up plans for his back-up plans, too. No matter what line-upstarts against Clemson, you know there will be more behind who's out there than just that they are the best player we have at the time.

Do we really know that? More of his "plans" have failed than suceeded overall @ QB.

I'm Missouri on him learning lessons til I see the actual adjustments. He has been very stubborn & rigid since 2013 especially.

We already know that from him playing Barber more the last half of the season & games even though Jovon was more productive.

Do we really know that? More of his "plans" have failed than suceeded overall @ QB.

I'm Missouri on him learning lessons til I see the actual adjustments. He has been very stubborn & rigid since 2013 especially.

We already know that from him playing Barber more the last half of the season & games even though Jovon was more productive.

You know that is the biggest problem i have with Gus, that being his stubbornness and inflexibility. That is almost always a negative and never a positive. This is the single greatest question i have about this coming year "Has Gus learned to be more adaptive and less stubborn?" When Gus is adaptive then he can accomplish anything, when he becomes rigid then he almost fails every time. JMHO

Just an FYI, whether Eli comes to AU or not may not be decided to mid June. Even if charges are dropped AU may still have to get a waiver from the SEC to bring him in.

And technically this thread should be in the recruiting forum since Eli is not a current AU player.

Actually, it CAN NOT be decided until mid-June, because if the judge doesn't decide whether to drop the charges until June 7. The only way he can come in before that is if the SEC is willing to bypass their own rule. I don't see them doing that for Auburn, especially not when it's still in court.

I thought so too but I'm hearing conflicting info that if the charges are dropped the process could be sped up regardless of the June 7 court date. Also Eli graduates from Jax. St tomorrow FWIW.

Yea, but unless the court or police change their mind, the charges can't be dropped until June 7. That's the purpose of that hearing, to decide if they drop the charges or proceed with trial. If they are dropped prior to that, someone is playing fast and loose with the law and that would make me even more nervous about bringing him on board. It's not like the girl pressed the charges and can drop them, it was the police that filed them.

Yea, I think we do. Whether his plans have worked or not, it's a documented fact that he plans pretty much constantly... to the point of not even sleeping much. He's also been very contrite in interviews, this year, noting that he made mistakes last year. Of course, if you are in the camp that thinks everything he says is coach speak, then I guess that is meaningless.

As for the more of his QB plans failing than not, I expect more from you, E. Looking at Gus's history, he's had FAR more success at QB than failure. Everyone needs to stop looking at last year as being the norm and realize that it was an anomaly for what has historically been a very successful coach.

I think what is funny is that these discussions mirror the threads that surrounded Russell Wilson, Nick Marshall, and even Cam to some degree. Large groups of people saying that we don't need another QB and large groups of other people saying we absolutely need another QB. The arguments for and against almost are the same.

I really don't recall anyone posting that we didn't need Russell Wilson. All I remember is folks hoping he'd choose Auburn until he chose Wisky and that was a let down. Arguments may be similar but I'm basing my opinion of the whole situation which includes the player, the time available to get him ready and what we have already and I don't believe Auburn needs Jenkins

Stubborn is not a bad thing for head football coaches. No more stubborn person has ever walked the earth than Patrick Fain Dye. If coaches were not stubborn and let things like message board BS affect their decisions they would not be coaches very long.

Stubborn is not a bad thing for head football coaches. No more stubborn person has ever walked the earth than Patrick Fain Dye. If coaches were not stubborn and let things like message board BS affect their decisions they would not be coaches very long.

I just hope Gus' stubbornness won't stand in the way of him evolving this offense from the predictable product we had last season. I hope his stubbornness won't blind him so much that he can't see that the most productive player should be on the field producing rather than standing on the sideline. I hope his stubbornness will allow him to adjust some of his boneheaded play calling.... AND if he is not the one calling the plays, then I hope that stubbornness won't prevent him from yanking the play calling from his OC.

I really don't recall anyone posting that we didn't need Russell Wilson. All I remember is folks hoping he'd choose Auburn until he chose Wisky and that was a let down. Arguments may be similar but I'm basing my opinion of the whole situation which includes the player, the time available to get him ready and what we have already and I don't believe Auburn needs Jenkins

I seem to remember many people posting that our current QB's were fine or we didn't need to upset the chemistry of the team. That he was one and done and we didn't need that. I may be wrong or confusing with NM, but it sure seems like it.

Just like anything else in life, it depends. If stubborn is succesful then it's not. If adjustments are required though & aren't made then it's bad.

I seem to remember many people posting that our current QB's were fine or we didn't need to upset the chemistry of the team. That he was one and done and we didn't need that. I may be wrong or confusing with NM, but it sure seems like it.

You're not wrong. Most people had high hopes for Frazier and a lot were worried that, if Wilson came in, that it would upset the team as a whole.

Ummm wasn't it trotter and mosely people were worried about?

It was all three... mostly Trotter and Frazier. I don't know of anyone who considered Mosely much of a candidate to be the starter before he kind of fell into it during the great QB debacle that was our one year with Loeffler.

Agree

Well, I was in the bring him as quickly as possible. As I see the situation now, I'm not a believer than Jenkins is in the same league with RW. Obviously could be wrong.

You're exactly right.

If this season is a disaster, where do we go from there? Should Gus be fired (since it was mentioned that Woody Barrett might transfer)? And when are we set up to get good QB play again? Part of me thinks Eli would work great, but then there are the nagging doubts that he'd be no better. It just seems like we're cursed at QB and I can't figure out how we can put a stop to it.

If this season is a disaster, where do we go from there? Should Gus be fired (since it was mentioned that Woody Barrett might transfer)? And when are we set up to get good QB play again? Part of me thinks Eli would work great, but then there are the nagging doubts that he'd be no better. It just seems like we're cursed at QB and I can't figure out how we can put a stop to it.

Dude... seriously... grab a beer, drink some wine, take a pill... do something but CALM DOWN. We had ONE bad year on offense... ONE. Prior to that, we've had 2 of the top performing QBs in the SEC in a 5-year period. Our other seriously off-year on offense was primarily because of the coordinator who is thankfully no where near our program now.

We will be fine in the Fall. We probably won't win an national championship, but we are going to compete. Gus will keep his job unless someone within the PTB makes a stupid move. Then, in 2017, we'll be even better.

These questions have been discussed ad nauseum the past 4 months. No need to go around this circle again.

Dude... seriously... grab a beer, drink some wine, take a pill... do something but CALM DOWN. We had ONE bad year on offense... ONE. Prior to that, we've had 2 of the top performing QBs in the SEC in a 5-year period. Our other seriously off-year on offense was primarily because of the coordinator who is thankfully no where near our program now.

We will be fine in the Fall. We probably won't win an national championship, but we are going to compete. Gus will keep his job unless someone within the PTB makes a stupid move. Then, in 2017, we'll be even better.

It's pointless to try to get him to step back from the ledge.

Archived