Jax State QB

tmjiv

I am not always against it. i just rather not have to deal with it. Cam and Nick not only played well but besides a pinch of weed and the biggest pay for play accusations in 20 years(not his fault) they represented us very well off the field too. i even forgot what Trey Mathews did.

• Replies 758
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not always against it. i just rather not have to deal with it. Cam and Nick not only played well but besides a pinch of weed and the biggest pay for play accusations in 20 years(not his fault) they represented us very well off the field too. i even forgot what Trey Mathews did.

Check forgery was the charge I believe. Used a mobile app to deposit a check, then went to the bank to deposit the physical check.

Maybe we should start watching for "early release" guys from state prisons.........I bet there are some strong tough guys who have not used any college eligibility.

Maybe we should start watching for "early release" guys from state prisons.........I bet there are some strong tough guys who have not used any college eligibility.

^this guys is a genius... Maybe we should just start a prison league.

If all you saw of Cam was the national title game, you might've been over him too. One bad game on a big stage doesn't make or break a player.

Yeah, you'd think the accolades Jenkins received for his full season of work would factor more heavily into folks' assessments of him. Actually, never mind. Shallow, fly by analysis will always be a thing.

being over him does not discount what he could accomplish. It just made me not so enthused over the possibility of him wearing orange and blue. The domestic violence arrest didn't hurt either. I don't think he will be here anyway. Hell I didn't want a computer thief or a debit card thief either but I came around. I am suspicious of this inside info anyway.

Oh, if the domestic violence stuff has any legs, I'm right there with you. Totally different category than anything that Cam or Nick ever did wrong, IMO.

There was a lot of hype on Cam leading up to that game. Just won a Heisman MVP, his stats were bonkers throughout the whole year, and it was 1 whole month of media coverage between the last game and the BCS title game Super Bowl with airtime they filled predominantly with Cam, not to mention the polarizing view people have on him. Combine all of that and you consider going 20/34 18/41 for 265 yards 2 TDs and 64 rushing yards (um, actually we won't list the rest of his stats) as a "bad" game. I wish we had such poor performances from our QBs this past year! And I hope our QBs our that bad this year :hellyeah:

Kind of uncanny, except one somewhat meaningful difference...

That Denver defense was vicious though. They had the better game plan and they executed it. The only thing I was really disappointed to see from Cam was how it really got to him. I'm not talking about the post-game stuff. They really frustrated him during the game. Don't get me wrong, I would have been too. He was getting killed. He'll learn from that though. I'll never hate on him for wearing his emotions on his sleeves.

At the risk of making the casual observer yawn, I agree with you.

There seems to be some enthusiasm for this Jenkins kid tempered with a wait and see attitude pending his pending legal issues. Ive also read that some believe he should get a lot of credit for his body of work and shouldn't be judged too harshly for his meltdown in their CS game.

I disagree. Obviously, I don't share the enthusiasm, legal problems or not. and if his body of work wasn't against Ohio Valley Conference opponents, a powder puff league, maybe his poor performance against Montana State wouldn't be as problematic. Im also not especially enamored with his outing against Auburn, albeit was a very good performance. Auburn has a history of making unknown QBs look like Heisman candidates. That defense had no mojo that day and played extremely poorly. Any team in the SEC would have beaten a sleep walking Auburn handily on that day. Even though I give him credit for almost pulling off the upset that day, doesn't mean I believe he'd perform similarly week in and week out in the SEC.

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple and one mine is he wouldn't be much help especially given the fact that Auburn will have 5, count 'em, 5 QBs on scholarship in the fall. How anyone believes there would time to rep this guy and get him ready for Clemson and the SEC in a couple weeks time is beyond me...next!

There seems to be some enthusiasm for this Jenkins kid tempered with a wait and see attitude pending his pending legal issues. Ive also read that some believe he should get a lot of credit for his body of work and shouldn't be judged too harshly for his meltdown in their CS game.

I disagree. Obviously, I don't share the enthusiasm, legal problems or not. and if his body of work wasn't against Ohio Valley Conference opponents, a powder puff league, maybe his poor performance against Montana State wouldn't be as problematic. Im also not especially enamored with his outing against Auburn, albeit was a very good performance. Auburn has a history of making unknown QBs look like Heisman candidates. That defense had no mojo that day and played extremely poorly. Any team in the SEC would have beaten a sleep walking Auburn handily on that day. Even though I give him credit for almost pulling off the upset that day, doesn't mean I believe he'd perform similarly week in and week out in the SEC.

Opinions are like elbows, everyone has a couple and one mine is he wouldn't be much help especially given the fact that Auburn will have 5, count 'em, 5 QBs on scholarship in the fall. How anyone believes there would time to rep this guy and get him ready for Clemson and the SEC in a couple weeks time is beyond me...next!

I would think they are looking at him from a talent level and ability to fit in rather quickly. Hopefully the coaches do not even look what he did to us in our game last year, because you are right; every QB we play seems to look like an AA (except the Memphis guy who actually was pretty close to AA talent). If he comes, I believe he would get the reps with intent of him starting against Clemson.

I would think they are looking at him from a talent level and ability to fit in rather quickly. Hopefully the coaches do not even look what he did to us in our game last year, because you are right; every QB we play seems to look like an AA (except the Memphis guy who actually was pretty close to AA talent). If he comes, I believe he would get the reps with intent of him starting against Clemson.

And Kyler Murray, I guess.

LOL at people who keep saying "We already have 5 QBs". Do y'all think we can add them all together and make 1 really good quarterback? Is that why you keep saying that?

I must admit, having Voltron under center would be pretty dope.

And Kyler Murray, I guess.

Fortunately for Auburn, he'd be the exception but, I cant tell you how many games Ive seen where Auburn knocks the opponents starter out and the back up guy comes in and has a career day against us. Its happened A LOT.

LOL at people who keep saying "We already have 5 QBs". Do y'all think we can add them all together and make 1 really good quarterback? Is that why you keep saying that?

Nope but getting reps is the pivotal issue. Which guy would you deprive reps in order for Jenkins to get ready in the preseason? All of them? Thats near to what it would take. Frankly, its almost a moot point and I have no problem going on record and say, if Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, Auburn is in deep deep trouble at the QB position, if for no other reason, there isn't sufficient time to get him anywhere close to being ready. Its not going to happen.

Nope but getting reps is the pivotal issue. Which guy would you deprive reps in order for Jenkins to get ready in the preseason? All of them? Thats near to what it would take. Frankly, its almost a moot point and I have no problem going on record and say, if Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, Auburn is in deep deep trouble at the QB position, if for no other reason, there isn't sufficient time to get him anywhere close to being ready. Its not going to happen.

I think you are right: we are in deep trouble at QB. As for getting the reps needed, in a sense I agree, but wasn't NM an August arrival. Granted he looked pretty green at the start of the season. Seems like it was the Ole Miss game before he really started shining in 2013.

If Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, I'm definitely concerned about the QB position. Each of the two starters last year were 4* recruits, have at least two years practicing in this offense, and have SEC experience. One of them played pretty well prior to injury. If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

That's faulty logic. The fact that he's FCS doesn't mean he's bad. A guy from North Dakota State is about to be a top 5 draft pick. (No, they're not FCS, but I guarantee you Jax St could beat them in any given year.) Now, if you watch him play football and think he's bad, then I question your judgment, but at least you've formed your opinion based on actual information.

And I'm not sure what Eli Jenkins or David Webb or any transfer says about our QBs. I don't understand that logic, either. The fact that the 5 QBs everybody keeps citing are a sophomore, an up-til-now failure, a 3* athlete project, a redshirt freshman who can't keep his arm out of a sling and therefore has barely thrown a football in 2 years, and a kid still in high school doesn't say enough? Y'all need additional information to be concerned about our QB situation???

I think you are right: we are in deep trouble at QB. As for getting the reps needed, in a sense I agree, but wasn't NM an August arrival. Granted he looked pretty green at the start of the season. Seems like it was the Ole Miss game before he really started shining in 2013.

You're correct about NM. And you're right, he started shining as soon as Gus tailored the offense to his personnel.

Practice reps is a valid concern, but a talented senior's vastly superior experience- even in a slightly different offense- could trump his relative lack of reps at Auburn.

And, yes, this is still a hypothetical conversation. I have no clue if we're serious about the kid.

If Malzahn is really that jazzed about Eli Jenkins, I'm definitely concerned about the QB position. Each of the two starters last year were 4* recruits, have at least two years practicing in this offense, and have SEC experience. One of them played pretty well prior to injury. If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

It is somewhat distressing that AU needs a QB but it certainly looks that way. Not trying to stir up controversy, but the coaching staff was banking everything on JJ being a competent QB. I believe SW was a fill in recruit. AU had 2 or 3 on the board that we did not get. All are starting elsewhere (Clemson, LSU, FSU). I believe we "settled" for SW because we had to have a QB. In retrospect we did. It seems that GM believe he has to have something different to be better this year.

Is the QB from Jax St healthy? I thought he was hurt after the season. I sure hope our staff has looked into his health. I read that we are not pursuing the Webb kid from Texas Tech.

Is the QB from Jax St healthy? I thought he was hurt after the season. I sure hope our staff has looked into his health. I read that we are not pursuing the Webb kid from Texas Tech.

He had surgery after the season. I suppose he's rehabbed and healed up nicely because one would think the injury/surgery coupled with the 3rd degree DV charge would certainly make a coaching staff pass on him. :dunno:

He had surgery after the season. I suppose he's rehabbed and healed up nicely because one would think the injury/surgery coupled with the 3rd degree DV charge would certainly make a coaching staff pass on him. :dunno:

Surgery in Feb (something about the labrium?) 2 to 3 month supposed recover period.

Surgery in Feb (something about the labrium?) 2 to 3 month supposed recover period.

Did he get injured beating his girlfriend?

If a career FCS player can come in and beat them both for the starting job in one fall, we are indeed in deep deep trouble at the QB position.

That's faulty logic. The fact that he's FCS doesn't mean he's bad. A guy from North Dakota State is about to be a top 5 draft pick. (No, they're not FCS, but I guarantee you Jax St could beat them in any given year.) Now, if you watch him play football and think he's bad, then I question your judgment, but at least you've formed your opinion based on actual information.

And I'm not sure what Eli Jenkins or David Webb or any transfer says about our QBs. I don't understand that logic, either. The fact that the 5 QBs everybody keeps citing are a sophomore, an up-til-now failure, a 3* athlete project, a redshirt freshman who can't keep his arm out of a sling and therefore has barely thrown a football in 2 years, and a kid still in high school doesn't say enough? Y'all need additional information to be concerned about our QB situation???

The logic is contained in the paragraph, not that single sentence. I'm not saying Eli Jenkins is bad, or that he's bad simply because he's an FCS player. What I'm saying is that it troubles me if we're after a career FCS grad transfer to come in and take over for two QB's that have at least two years of experience in our offense, SEC starting experience, and were 4* FBS recruits. It's even more troubling if he's going to come in and do that after one fall. He obviously wouldn't be coming here to ride the bench and give us depth, he's coming to start. I've stayed high on Malzahn, and kept the faith, but the QB position is not one we should be looking for grad transfers to fill heading into a head coach's 4th season.

EDIT: North Dakota State is an FCS team. They beat Jacksonville State 37-10.

The logic is contained in the paragraph, not that single sentence. I'm not saying Eli Jenkins is bad, or that he's bad simply because he's an FCS player. What I'm saying is that it troubles me if we're after a career FCS grad transfer to come in and take over for two QB's that have at least two years of experience in our offense, SEC starting experience, and were 4* FBS recruits. It's even more troubling if he's going to come in and do that after one fall. He obviously wouldn't be coming here to ride the bench and give us depth, he's coming to start. I've stayed high on Malzahn, and kept the faith, but the QB position is not one we should be looking for grad transfers to fill heading into a head coach's 4th season.

It is a bummer that Eli Jenkins is better than Jeremy Johnson. I agree with that. And I agree that it's a bummer that Jeremy was in the system for awhile and turned out quite terribly in 2015.

Sean White had 1 previous season as a third stringer behind a national title participant and Mr. All World backup. He began his redshirt freshman season as a backup, didn't take a snap until game 4, then got hurt pretty quickly. He's still very inexperienced, certainly relative to Jenkins. Jenkins was a very polished quarterback heading into 2015. Sean still isn't and couldn't possibly be a polished QB. Experience matters.

Let me ask you this: if a Russell Wilson clone came in right now and won the job, would that mean that Auburn's in deep trouble? Or would that just mean that a really, really good quarterback came in and won the job? No, Eli Jenkins 2016 isn't Russell Wilson 2011, but the point remains that a really good, very experienced quarterback being better than 1 bust and 4 extremely inexperienced guys isn't necessarily a death knell for the program.

It is somewhat distressing that AU needs a QB but it certainly looks that way. Not trying to stir up controversy, but the coaching staff was banking everything on JJ being a competent QB. I believe SW was a fill in recruit. AU had 2 or 3 on the board that we did not get. All are starting elsewhere (Clemson, LSU, FSU). I believe we "settled" for SW because we had to have a QB. In retrospect we did. It seems that GM believe he has to have something different to be better this year.

We "settled" for SW by accepting his commitment a good 8 months or so before signing day...you know because we already knew that even 8 months couldn't give us enough time to get someone better. Right? Good grief. This isn't the first time someone has attempted this stance and I'm sure it won't be the last. You don't "settle" for a guy the summer before signing day. Period.

Archived