2017 4* QB "Tua" Tagovailoa

aucanucktiger

Second year in a row that Kiffin has landed a top dual threat QB commitment.

And now Gus has all of his eggs on Mond. A Texas kid committed to Art Briles at Baylor. The same Baylor that has had a top five offense the last 5 years and the coach no where near the hot seat. I just don't understand what is in Gus's head. Guess Gus's ego is really getting in the way.

And don't give me the Gatewood talk. Kid is 2018. No where near over.

yep. We will be lucky to even pull a top 25 class this year. We can only hope to weather the storm by having a good 2016 season then rebuilding our draft class in the 2018 class.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now Gus has all of his eggs on Mond. A Texas kid committed to Art Briles at Baylor. The same Baylor that has had a top five offense the last 5 years and the coach no where near the hot seat. I just don't understand what is in Gus's head. Guess Gus's ego is really getting in the way.

yep. We will be lucky to even pull a top 25 class this year. We can only hope to weather the storm by having a good 2016 season then rebuilding our draft class in the 2018 class.

AU will pull in a top 25 class. Too many good recruiters not to. Just looks like this class, like last year and the year before, won't have a legit QB in it. Can't keep missing on QB's.

AU will pull in a top 25 class. Too many good recruiters not to. Just looks like this class, like last year and the year before, won't have a legit QB in it. Can't keep missing on QB's.

I guess Gus will have to keep supplementing with transfers or JUCO backup QBs until Gatewood comes aboard assuming Gus makes it that long and Gatewood stays committed.

Edit: I think Woody has potential and can be a great player but obviously way too early to tell.

Another question...Are we going to get a legit, top tier running back?

4* QB's aren't good enough? Who do you suggest we should be going after? You say Gus shouldn't have spent time and effort on the ones that have committed elsewhere, so who did we fail to pursue that would have come here? (By your own standard, pretty much got to be a 5* or a very top 4*)

4* QB's aren't good enough? Who do you suggest we should be going after? You say Gus shouldn't have spent time and effort on the ones that have committed elsewhere, so who did we fail to pursue that would have come here? (By your own standard, pretty much got to be a 5* or a very top 4*)

4* or 5*....seems to me that quarterbacks are about the highest risk recruits a school can bring in. Just look at AU or bama or TAMU or a dozen other schools that recruit and sign a bunch of guys with those ratings and still end up juggling QBs and or going outside to find a starter at the last minute.

I have to wonder if any coach or coaching staff can really "develop" QBs. The failure rate is huge,,,,must be something like 50-75% if you look at the number of HS kids that schools sign who never see the field with that school.....or at least never become quality starters.

The coaches have to do the recruiting, have to take the chance that a kid will actually turn out in college to be as effective as he was in HS.....but at the same time the coaches also have to be looking around for a Plan B if/when things don't turn out as hoped.

I guess it is good sport to rag on our coaches about not developing our QBs but I would like to see a list of coaches elsewhere who have a record of recruiting top rated HS QBs and turning them into quality starters by their soph year. I bet it's a short list. In fact, I can't think of many schools who have a consistent record of recruiting top HS quarterbacks and then keeping them around as starters for as many as 3 years.

Just willing to bet if anyone really does a careful study of this subject, our experience is not much different than many schools.....and meanwhile I would like to see some names of coaches at any school who are considered as the model of successful "quarterback developers".

Man it's ok to admit Gus could've done better lately.....I swear....

4* or 5*....seems to me that quarterbacks are about the highest risk recruits a school can bring in. Just look at AU or bama or TAMU or a dozen other schools that recruit and sign a bunch of guys with those ratings and still end up juggling QBs and or going outside to find a starter at the last minute.

I have to wonder if any coach or coaching staff can really "develop" QBs. The failure rate is huge,,,,must be something like 50-75% if you look at the number of HS kids that schools sign who never see the field with that school.....or at least never become quality starters.

The coaches have to do the recruiting, have to take the chance that a kid will actually turn out in college to be as effective as he was in HS.....but at the same time the coaches also have to be looking around for a Plan B if/when things don't turn out as hoped.

I guess it is good sport to rag on our coaches about not developing our QBs but I would like to see a list of coaches elsewhere who have a record of recruiting top rated HS QBs and turning them into quality starters by their soph year. I bet it's a short list. In fact, I can't think of many schools who have a consistent record of recruiting top HS quarterbacks and then keeping them around as starters for as many as 3 years.

Just willing to bet if anyone really does a careful study of this subject, our experience is not much different than many schools.....and meanwhile I would like to see some names of coaches at any school who are considered as the model of successful "quarterback developers".

Your exactly right. Go back, over the last five years, and look at the number of 5* that were signed and have started for their teams and everyone who thinks we are alone in misfiring with top QB recruits will be surprised. Texas A&M has the worst track record with top QBs and UAT is close behind. (I used 24/7 for my research)

I would like him to do better but I'm realistic enough to see that he is no worse ....and no better than about any coach you can name.

Just saying.....why beat up on our own coaches?

Meanwhile give me the names of coaches that you think are doing a better job on a consistent basis. Even in the NFL.....is there really anyone who can be counted on to take a top college QB and make him a good NFL QB? Look at all the top QB draft picks who are sitting on the sidelines because they could not master the NFL game.

My theory is that you just keep recruiting as many good ones as you can and hope you strike gold with one of them.

I would like him to do better but I'm realistic enough to see that he is no worse ....and no better than about any coach you can name.

Meanwhile give me the names of coaches that you think are doing a better job on a consistent basis. Even in the NFL.....is there really anyone who can be counted on to take a top college QB and make him a good NFL QB? Look at all the top QB draft picks who are sitting on the sidelines because they could not master the NFL game.

My theory is that you just keep recruiting as many good ones as you can and hope you strike gold with one of them.

My opinion as far as coaches in the SEC that are consistently coaching up QBs: obviously Kiffen, Richt while at UGA, Mullen, and Freeze has been pretty good. The NFL has quite a few. Andy Reid comes to mind.

Well if you can't criticize coaches then why criticize players? And Clemson OC seemed to keep a good qb. Baylor. USC. I don't know where hudspeth coach now but he will always get the most you can get out of a qb. Oklahoma seem to always have a decent qb, even when they are young.....doesn't cutcliff does great with qb's? You have to give kiffen credit....thing about it Gus was literally called a genius. Can't be mad that expectation for him is higher than most. When it's going good for him he sure gets the praise

Uat getting a dual guy over Gus is crazy.

Yes.

The Saban/Kiffin combo seems to eat Lucky Charms and poop Skittles.

Yes.

Both are on a different level recruiting than Gus. Not a knock on Gus people.

Yes.

True...like recruiting basketball against Duke or Kentucky....don"t out recruit them very often...fact of life.

Yes.

Think I hear Aerosmith singing

Yes.

Gus will be the first to tell you that he has no personality. Let's face it, he tried to supplement his lack of personality with a cool car. That being said, when he's not in a situation were everyone that throw hot-seat accusations at him, he wins as many as he loses because of the way he treats players and structures his program. We're never going to get the guys who are all business, but the ones who want to enjoy their 4 years prior to the NFL will choose Auburn, when they aren't afraid that what they are choosing will change dramatically in under a year.

I just hope our guys are staying close to all of these committed players, so when we have a good season and the hot seat talk stops, they can remind them of why they loved Auburn in the first place.

Yes.

Gus will be the first to tell you that he has no personality. Let's face it, he tried to supplement his lack of personality with a cool car. That being said, when he's not in a situation were everyone that throw hot-seat accusations at him, he wins as many as he loses because of the way he treats players and structures his program. We're never going to get the guys who are all business, but the ones who want to enjoy their 4 years prior to the NFL will choose Auburn, when they aren't afraid that what they are choosing will change dramatically in under a year.

I just hope our guys are staying close to all of these committed players, so when we have a good season and the hot seat talk stops, they can remind them of why they loved Auburn in the first place.

Could you expand on this? What do you mean by "how he treats players" and "structures his program"? I always perceived him as all business and very structured. Is that not the case?

We have never in our history consistently out-recruited the likes of UAT, Florida, Tennessee and Georgia. Yet our record against those teams is more than respectable. We don't need to out-recruit them, we simply need to stay reasonably close.

Yes.

Could you expand on this? What do you mean by "how he treats players" and "structures his program"? I always perceived him as all business and very structured. Is that not the case?

Gus creates a very family like atmosphere in his program. His wife is like a mom to these players and he and his coaches are very concerned about them as people. When they are on the field, yes, he's a huge stickler for detail and is very structured, but off the field he tends to go all "papa bear" with his players. That's the opposite of, say, bama, where Saban is basically unapproachable and comes across more like an employer than a parental figure. There are a lot of programs that try to run like mini NFL teams, which works for some of the type-A players with visions of green, but for the good players who haven't forgotten that they are still kids who are away from their mamas for the first time, there is something very comforting about Auburn football that they can't get at the football machine schools.

Or... to simplify, Auburn football has heart. A lot of the others don't. That's why we always seem to get our share of players, even if other schools get a lot more glory.

[quote name=WarDamnEagleWDE'

timestamp='1462369021' post='2470836]

Yes.

Gus will be the first to tell you that he has no personality. Let's face it, he tried to supplement his lack of personality with a cool car. That being said, when he's not in a situation were everyone that throw hot-seat accusations at him, he wins as many as he loses because of the way he treats players and structures his program. We're never going to get the guys

who are all business, but the ones who want to enjoy their 4 years prior to the NFL will choose Auburn, when they aren't afraid that what they are choosing will change dramatically in under a year.

I just hope our guys are staying close to all of these committed players, so when we have a good season and the hot seat talk stops, they can remind them of why they loved Auburn in

the first place.

Gus creates a very family like atmosphere in his program. His wife is like a mom to these players

and he and his coaches are very concerned about them as people. When they are on the field, yes, he's a huge stickler for detail and is very structured, but off the field he tends to go all "papa bear" with his players. That's the

opposite of, say, bama, where Saban is basically unapproachable and comes across more like an employer than a parental figure. There are a lot of programs that try to run like mini NFL teams, which works for some of the type-A players with

visions of green, but for the good players who haven't forgotten that they are still kids who are away from their mamas for the first time, there is something very comforting about Auburn football that they can't get at the football machine

schools.

Or... to simplify, Auburn football has heart. A lot of the others don't. That's why we always seem

to get our share of players, even if other schools get a lot more glory.

OK. I certainly get that. I thought there was something about how he ran the team that indicated a "loose ship".

Yes.

Gus is not very structured. One on his biggest problems.

Archived