Four Auburn players arrested

TitanTiger

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh......there is way more than enough self-righteousness to last far longer than July..

If only it could be monetized. Between that and everybody having Scottsboro's anti-munchies gene, we could end world hunger.

SW,JF3 JJ,TQ,and DA all play QB at Auburn. And they all suck so we need a new one... Now were back on track lol

#scottsboroauburnfan4prez

Thread of the year ??? Gets my vote lol

13 pages, and it has absolutely no meaningful football conversation to compete with. This thing might last til July.

It's certainly more refreshing than the "Gus can't develop a QB" threads.

Oh......there is way more than enough self-righteousness to last far longer than July..

If only it could be monetized. Between that and everybody having Scottsboro's anti-munchies gene, we could end world hunger.

Hahaha u should have seen the day I mixed it with adderall, I actually taught class that night.

Hahaha u should have seen the day I mixed it with adderall, I actually taught class that night.

And you didn't get fired????? Impossible.

I keed, I keed

The guys are not gonna be in much trouble. Y'all chill out. It was a lil pot. I'm still so pleased in our government spending over a trillion dollars in the war on drugs. I mean come on.

Which was premised on keeping African-Americans in the criminal justice system. Lets just keep it real.

Hahaha I smoked my whole time through college and every single day befor class, with a 3.8 GPA... It may affect some people different, but so do narcotics and alcohol. Testing positive for pot doesn't even mean u have smoked any in the last 2 weeks. It actually doesn't mean u have at all second hand smoke will fail u also... So I need to look up deaths by prescription drugs and alcohol? Cause that one is night and day

Just don't be smoking that Jackson county weed, it probably came from Sand Mountain.

Hahaha I smoked my whole time through college and every single day befor class, with a 3.8 GPA... It may affect some people different, but so do narcotics and alcohol. Testing positive for pot doesn't even mean u have smoked any in the last 2 weeks. It actually doesn't mean u have at all second hand smoke will fail u also... So I need to look up deaths by prescription drugs and alcohol? Cause that one is night and day

Just don't be smoking that Jackson county weed, it probably came from Sand Mountain.

I heard you can't get snakebit if you smoke Jackson county weed. Is it true y'all reckon?

Ummm well at one time maybe hahahaha, then I moved on to the good stuff comin out of Knoxville Tn lol

Unfortunately, these guys aren't going to learn the lesson that needs to be learned in college, which has nothing to do with what they were caught doing and everything to do with the fact that they were knowingly breaking the rules.

Yep. Being a college kid who breaks rules pretty much makes them the exception and kinda the worst people ever.

These kids are going to get a slap on the wrist. This will just embolden them in their belief that the rules should only matter when they don't interfere with their personal desires.

God forbid a punishment fit a victimless crime. That would definitely send the wrong message.

Gus can't do a thing about it, because if he takes away our best DB and a #1 recruit, he's basically putting himself in the cross hairs.

Ah, there we go again with Saint Gus. Yep, those punk kids sure painted him into a corner this time, what with their murderous ways and all.

When this will come back to bite them in the butt is when they don't make an NFL roster, or when their time in the NFL is up and they have to find a job.

I'm guessing you don't have DirecTV.

Show up to work stoned one day and see how well that goes for you.

Getting high on a Saturday night as a college kid = showing up to work high. Got it. Also, it's too bad weed doesn't affect people differently. Oh, wait...

Even worse, get busted a few more times and see if we can't add a felony to your record that you have to explain every time you interview, ask for a loan, etc.

Whoa. You're getting a little ahead of yourself here.

I just can't get my head around how, under the guise of tolerance, we've created a generation that has almost no respect for rules, and little more for anyone but themselves.

Oh, that's rich. Alas, every generation blames the next one for making the same mistakes the ones before them did.

These guys didn't give a crap about their team mates, their school, or anyone else.

What part of "Most of their teammates do it, too" do you not understand?!? Do you just not believe it to be true? Surely not?

Hate to say it Loof, because you know I respect you, but your "victimless crime/everyone is doing it/they are just kids" attitude is what is causing the problem. If people don't learn that rules actually mean something and when you sign on for a team/job/school/whatever, you have to follow the rules that are in place, then society crumbles...as it is currently doing a very good job of right now (reference University of Missouri for an extreme case). You may disagree with the rules, heck you may even hate the rules, but until the rules are changed, you need to abide by them or there will be consequences. In college, especially for highly regarded football players, these consequences are virtually meaningless to them, individually, (i.e. sit out half a football game), so they don't have a clue what awaits them when they decide to break a rule in the real world because it does not suit them. Our jails are full of people who probably shouldn't be there, but those are the current rules and it's VERY easy not to break them.

Also, to answer your last question, I TOTALLY get "Most of their teammates do it". You know what that means? That means not a damn one of them that does it gives a crap about anyone but themselves, or they would realize that when they get caught, it's going to hurt their team. It's going to hurt them because they will likely have to sit out when they could be helping. It's also going to hurt them because the media and opposing coaches are going to use it as ammo against us in recruiting. Finally, it hurts them because it damages the reputation of the school.

I know I'm cut from a different cloth than most, but I've never understood how anyone could look at something that they want to do because it's "fun" or "feels good" or worse "everyone else is doing it", knowing that it could cause harm to others, even if it's just reputationally, and still do it. I've done dumb things in my life, just like everyone, but I made a point of making sure the only one at risk was me.

I think kids these days just don't particularly see "illegal" as synonymous with "wrong"...which means they are at least thinking for themselves instead of blindly accepting man-made laws. They understand the ramifications if you get caught and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, sometimes you get caught and do have to deal with what comes with it.

In college, especially for highly regarded football players, these consequences are virtually meaningless to them, individually, (i.e. sit out half a football game)

Actually, you've got that backwards. You know what would have happened to me- random Joe College Student- if I'd gotten a misdemeanor possession charge? I probably would've had some money problems and my parents would've been really mad at me. I wouldn't have had coaches to deal with. I wouldn't have had my name run through the mud in the media. I wouldn't have had anonymous Internetizens casting all kinds of aspersions and questioning my character. I wouldn't have had to put up with nearly as much ridiculous crap as these kids will.

Plenty to disagree about but that one stuck out for me since it's a common refrain that gets batted around and never questioned.

I think kids these days just don't particularly see "illegal" as synonymous with "wrong"...which means they are at least thinking for themselves instead of blindly accepting man-made laws. They understand the ramifications if you get caught and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, sometimes you get caught and do have to deal with what comes with it.

Great post. Only thing I'll disagree with is the notion that it's a circumstance unique to this generation.

Lion and others are making the mistake of thinking that their experience was representative of their entire generation's, whatever generation that was.

Great post. Only thing I'll disagree with is the notion that it's a circumstance unique to this generation.

Lion and others are making the mistake of thinking that their experience was representative of their entire generation's, whatever generation that was.

True, true. It's probably not unique to this generation, I'm 30 so I can really only speak specifically to my age group and what I can gather from this current group of college aged kids based on my experience. We can't paint an entire generation with one brush, though.

In college, especially for highly regarded football players, these consequences are virtually meaningless to them, individually, (i.e. sit out half a football game)

Actually, you've got that backwards. You know what would have happened to me- random Joe College Student- if I'd gotten a misdemeanor possession charge? I probably would've had some money problems and my parents would've been really mad at me. I wouldn't have had coaches to deal with. I wouldn't have had my name run through the mud in the media. I wouldn't have had anonymous Internetizens casting all kinds of aspersions and questioning my character. I wouldn't have had to put up with nearly as much ridiculous crap as these kids will.

Plenty to disagree about but that one stuck out for me since it's a common refrain that gets batted around and never questioned.

I know what would have happened if I got a misdemeanor possession charge... I would have been figuring out how I was going to handle life without any money from my parents. I would have lost the two positions I volunteered for, working with youth. I'd certainly take character questioning, some bleacher running, and a couple hours less football along with financial security and all being forgotten the next time I made a big play over that.

I know what would have happened if I got a misdemeanor possession charge... I would have been figuring out how I was going to handle life without any money from my parents. I would have lost the two positions I volunteered for, working with youth. I'd certainly take character questioning, some bleacher running, and a couple hours less football along with financial security and all being forgotten the next time I made a big play over that.

They might lose those things, too, if they have them- right? Do you know that they won't lose things of that nature?

Do kids with academic scholarships lose them because of guilty pleas on misdemeanors? Or do they get to keep their financial security, too?

You also likely didn't crave the limelight with all the recruiting pub, have a hat ceremony and tons of your family and friends, and those same "internetizens" singing your praise enroute to a scholarship to a major D1 school and your way paved for a multi-million dollar contract in the bigs if you just put in the work and kept your nose clean.

To each his own, but if you are gonna live by the public eye and reap its rewards, then ya oughtta have to accept the good with the bad when it comes to your own actions.

Thanks Lion....a good defense.....but those of us who share that view have to feel like ole Don Quixote ....tilting at windmills...except in this case the windmills are real cultural enemies.

And in the meantime when we see a few players who seem to be going through the motions, guess we can wonder if they are enjoying the mellowing benefits of good Tennessee weed.

You also likely didn't crave the limelight with all the recruiting pub, have a hat ceremony and tons of your family and friends, and those same "internetizens" singing your praise enroute to a scholarship to a major D1 school and your way paved for a multi-million dollar contract in the bigs if you just put in the work and kept your nose clean.

To each his own, but if you are gonna live by the public eye and reap its rewards, then ya oughtta have to accept the good with the bad when it comes to your own actions.

Let's see here. You think that:

-All these kids had a big hat ceremony

-They all instigated said hat ceremony themselves (because they all crave the limelight)

-Will be in the NFL if they just work hard and keep their noses clean

Is that right? Do you know the chances of even a 5* kid making it into the NFL?

Do sports fans not accept any of the blame for "singing their praise"? Do the coaches, teachers and parents who coddled them all the way through high school not accept any blame for how the kid turned out? Do the college coaches who literally beg these kids to come to their school- and then get paid upwards of $5 million a year by a program pulling in upwards of $70 or $80 million a year- maybe not contribute to a kid not fully buying the notion that it's the school who's doing him a favor? Did the kids create the limelight, or did you, I and the dozens of reporters who showed up at the grand hat ceremonies that they orchestrated themselves kinda beg them to step into it?

We're way off track, but you pointed us in this direction. It's awesome how people choose to bitch and moan about kids on the internet and then claim that it's just part of the package because a kid accepted an opportunity that they wish they had gotten.

Interesting comment on Sirus this AM from Neuhesal (SP) about this. He noted that last week Tunsil was on TV with his mask,etc, got hammered in the draft over it which cost him about $5million give or take.....and three days later 4 AU kids get caught with weed.

His comments: Didn't anyone learn anything? And.....the NCAA and most schools are trying to hold a dam back and have no chance of stopping the use of pot in their schools or athletic programs...

Two pretty good observations.......(1) nobody seems to learn from the mistakes of others and many kids don't even learn from their own mistakes.

And (2) no matter what the schools are doing, they are not going to be able to stop it...too pervasive already and the athletes are just a reflection of students these days. Some schools are trying to prevent it with penalties and many schools are just ignoring it.

So no matter how some people feel about the issue, and no matter what the law says.....preventing the recreational use of pot is a lost battle. JMO

It'll stop if they want it to stop... right now the penalty isn't high enough to stop anything. 1/2 a game? wouldn't have stopped me. If the NCAA and or schools started making a kid sit out a year, then it would stop. However, I don't think anyone would agree that the penalty should be that stiff, which is why it won't stop ;)

True, true. It's probably not unique to this generation, I'm 30 so I can really only speak specifically to my age group and what I can gather from this current group of college aged kids based on my experience. We can't paint an entire generation with one brush, though.

My experience primarily comes from my fiance and her aunt both working in student life at different schools. Just in the past 10 years they've seen a huge reduction in students caring about well, anything, and a huge uptick in rules being treated a suggestions, even by kids who they would normally consider "good kids".

As for whether all football players have been the same forever, I can't say, all I know is that we didn't read reports about football players getting arrested for drugs back in the 90s. Maybe Dye and Tubbs just did a better job of covering it up.

I agree with you Tiger, that kids don't see illegal as wrong. I disagree with you that it's a sign of thinking for themselves, however. In more cases than not, it's a blind rebellious attitude that is the "in" thing right now, combined with a lack of understanding of how to enact change in a constructive way. All you have to do is look at the interviews being done on campuses these days where kids talk about how against things they are, only to not be able to tell you anything about what they are claiming to be against... or even worse, the ones where they take a stand against something that is entirely fictitious, just because they want to appear like they know what's going on. They are trying to relive the 60s, but based on what I've learned talking to the generation that actually lived them, they are doing a REALLY bad job of it.

Archived