Four Auburn players arrested

TitanTiger

Interesting comment on Sirus this AM from Neuhesal (SP) about this. He noted that last week Tunsil was on TV with his mask,etc, got hammered in the draft over it which cost him about $5million give or take.....and three days later 4 AU kids get caught with weed.

His comments: Didn't anyone learn anything? And.....the NCAA and most schools are trying to hold a dam back and have no chance of stopping the use of pot in their schools or athletic programs...

Two pretty good observations.......(1) nobody seems to learn from the mistakes of others and many kids don't even learn from their own mistakes.

And (2) no matter what the schools are doing, they are not going to be able to stop it...too pervasive already and the athletes are just a reflection of students these days. Some schools are trying to prevent it with penalties and many schools are just ignoring it.

So no matter how some people feel about the issue, and no matter what the law says.....preventing the recreational use of pot is a lost battle. JMO

It'll stop if they want it to stop... right now the penalty isn't high enough to stop anything. 1/2 a game? wouldn't have stopped me. If the NCAA and or schools started making a kid sit out a year, then it would stop. However, I don't think anyone would agree that the penalty should be that stiff, which is why it won't stop ;)/>

Isn't failing an NCAA administered drug test a calendar year suspension? Or does it depend on the substance they tested positive for?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A problem is that people love to tell others what they should be doing without walking in that person shoes. Then when athletes make mistakes it seems there is some jealousy involved. Athletes don't owe anybody anything.

I think kids these days just don't particularly see "illegal" as synonymous with "wrong"...which means they are at least thinking for themselves instead of blindly accepting man-made laws. They understand the ramifications if you get caught and plan accordingly. Unfortunately, sometimes you get caught and do have to deal with what comes with it.

Great post. Only thing I'll disagree with is the notion that it's a circumstance unique to this generation.

Lion and others are making the mistake of thinking that their experience was representative of their entire generation's, whatever generation that was.

True, true. It's probably not unique to this generation, I'm 30 so I can really only speak specifically to my age group and what I can gather from this current group of college aged kids based on my experience. We can't paint an entire generation with one brush, though.

My experience primarily comes from my fiance and her aunt both working in student life at different schools. Just in the past 10 years they've seen a huge reduction in students caring about well, anything, and a huge uptick in rules being treated a suggestions, even by kids who they would normally consider "good kids".

As for whether all football players have been the same forever, I can't say, all I know is that we didn't read reports about football players getting arrested for drugs back in the 90s. Maybe Dye and Tubbs just did a better job of covering it up.

I agree with you Tiger, that kids don't see illegal as wrong. I disagree with you that it's a sign of thinking for themselves, however. In more cases than not, it's a blind rebellious attitude that is the "in" thing right now, combined with a lack of understanding of how to enact change in a constructive way. All you have to do is look at the interviews being done on campuses these days where kids talk about how against things they are, only to not be able to tell you anything about what they are claiming to be against... or even worse, the ones where they take a stand against something that is entirely fictitious, just because they want to appear like they know what's going on. They are trying to relive the 60s, but based on what I've learned talking to the generation that actually lived them, they are doing a REALLY bad job of it.

That's more hands on information than I have at my disposal so I might have to dial it back a bit. But I would suggest that we consider stories that guys like golf and others have about drinking and fighting and breaking curfew and such back in their day. They were breaking rules, too. That part hasn't changed.

A problem is that people love to tell others what they should be doing without walking in that person shoes. Then when athletes make mistakes it seems there is some jealousy involved. Athletes don't owe anybody anything.

Preach.

Go back and read the article again. They were stopped at 8:30 on a Saturday night somewhere near the corner of Gay and E Samford, roughly half a block from Amsterdam Cafe. Now, it's been a hot minute since I graduated from Auburn but I quite honestly can't even conceive of a reason that someone would be stopped at that time of night in that part of town, let alone searched thoroughly enough to discover weed. Unless they were walking down the street blazing away, I'd really like to know why the heck they were even stopped in the first place.

The Auburn Police are an active bunch. Saw a middle aged white woman driving a nice SUV today between 8 and 9 AM on Opelika road near Dean. They don't discriminate, they just stop a lot of folks.

Good to know it's equal opportunity on just stopping folks for no reason.

Go back and read the article again. They were stopped at 8:30 on a Saturday night somewhere near the corner of Gay and E Samford, roughly half a block from Amsterdam Cafe. Now, it's been a hot minute since I graduated from Auburn but I quite honestly can't even conceive of a reason that someone would be stopped at that time of night in that part of town, let alone searched thoroughly enough to discover weed. Unless they were walking down the street blazing away, I'd really like to know why the heck they were even stopped in the first place.

Why? They had illegal drugs. Period. Let's not blame cops which is where your post is headed. SMDH.

I certainly wouldn't blame the cops for this situation if that's how it played out but if people have not given them a reason to stop and search them they don't have the right to just pick people out and search random people for no reason no matter if they do eventually find something. I mean that is unlawful and cases get dropped because of that all the time if it can be proven by the defendant. Of course we don't know 100% if that is what happened here but i sure hope they don't go around doing that. The smell of week could've easily been the reason for the cops to stop and search but again we simply don't know the real story at this point.

That's more hands on information than I have at my disposal so I might have to dial it back a bit. But I would suggest that we consider stories that guys like golf and others have about drinking and fighting and breaking curfew and such back in their day. They were breaking rules, too. That part hasn't changed.

When Golf was at Auburn, wasn't drinking, fighting and breaking curfew just considered good clean fun? After all, what else are you going to do before the invention of radio?

Why? They had illegal drugs. Period. Let's not blame cops which is where your post is headed. SMDH.

The why is a very pertinent question on the difference between a free state and totalitarian state. Now those are extremes yes, but logical extremes. Stop and frisk is illegal, profiling is illegal. In order to be stopped, a cop must witness an illegal act or have probable cause that one is occurring to stop someone. A lot of police officers use smell as probable cause for searching for weed. It's a well known scent in the mind of juries and it cannot be confirmed by any form of later analysis, so it can't be refuted. But even still, smell is only probably cause for a search. To be pulled over the cop must have witnessed them performing an illegal act, and if they weren't (which if they were they should've been given a ticket for it, in this case it looks like they were not) the entire stop is illegal, negating the search and seizure.

^^^ Cases get thrown out because of what you've explained.

Yea they do... they owe their teammates everything. That's what being on a team is all about, being there for each other and not doing anything to hurt the team.

When Golf was at Auburn, wasn't drinking, fighting and breaking curfew just considered good clean fun? After all, what else are you going to do before the invention of radio?

Hahahaha

All the points to you, sir.

The Auburn Police are an active bunch. Saw a middle aged white woman driving a nice SUV today between 8 and 9 AM on Opelika road near Dean. They don't discriminate, they just stop a lot of folks.

Good to know it's equal opportunity on just stopping folks for no reason.

Probably not EE but nobody is immune, that's for sure.

As a recovered doper with a degree in Addiction Counseling, I find this incident disheartening. These kids have been given a great chance for a degree and a possible lucrative post college career (quite likely a short one because of injuries) but they don't have enough gratitude for the chance and respect for the institution to dedicate themselves to their end of the bargain. They disrespected the coach, their teammates who aren't potheads and the fan base.

If I was an NFL scout, I'd note that these are kids who aren't motivated enough to dedicate their time to improving their game. Cowart, a five star recruit showed next to nothing last year. Is it because he was too busy getting high?

Marijuana today has much higher THC content than in the past with possible links to later psychotic incidents. Indisputably, heavy weed smoking is amotivational. These are kids in my opinion who should be at the bottom of the depth chart and have to earn playing time.

Yea they do... they owe their teammates everything. That's what being on a team is all about, being there for each other and not doing anything to hurt the team.

What did they do to hurt the team??? He'll they were prob with half the team smokin and 4 left and got caught...

The why is a very pertinent question on the difference between a free state and totalitarian state. Now those are extremes yes, but logical extremes. Stop and frisk is illegal, profiling is illegal. In order to be stopped, a cop must witness an illegal act or have probable cause that one is occurring to stop someone. A lot of police officers use smell as probable cause for searching for weed. It's a well known scent in the mind of juries and it cannot be confirmed by any form of later analysis, so it can't be refuted. But even still, smell is only probably cause for a search. To be pulled over the cop must have witnessed them performing an illegal act, and if they weren't (which if they were they should've been given a ticket for it, in this case it looks like they were not) the entire stop is illegal, negating the search and seizure.

Ah, another soap box that I love to perch on... overzealous police. I... an average white guy... have actually been the victim of profiling... because I grew up in a town where police profiled teenagers. I was pulled over for "speeding" (he didn't clock me) at a location where there were a lot of teenagers, made to stand prone, with my hands on his car while he wrote me a ticket, ridiculed loudly in front of about 30 of my peers, and then given a ticket for reckless driving, since he couldn't site me for speeding without clocking me. I have no love lost for little boys with badges trying to make up for inferiority complexes.

I would add to this conversation, based on what was written about the stop...did they all have weed on them or did they find a tiny amount in the car and charge everyone (not uncommon in the police world)? If that is the case, then expect 3 to have the charges dropped and hopefully get some good press about it (from where, I have no idea, but if they didn't do anything wrong, they deserve to have it shouted from the rooftops).

If there were questionable actions in the stop, I hope they go after the officer who stopped them. I can tell you from first hand experience that a visit from IA will make them think twice about bending the rules to show how big and bad they are in the future.

What did they do to hurt the team??? He'll they were prob with half the team smokin and 4 left and got caught...

A seriously idealized perspective.......

Hahahaha

All the points to you, sir.

yep pretty well spot on. Breaking curfew at Sewell Hall was easy

What did they do to hurt the team? Let's see... our best DB might be sitting out at least part of a huge first game. The coach is having to deal with bad press. Other coaches are using this on the recruiting trail to negatively recruit against us.

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't give them a pass. They broke the rules and they got busted. If it's legit, then they let their teammates and their coaches down and HOPEFULLY the "half the team" they were "prob with" has learned from it, so more suspensions aren't forth coming from someone else getting busted.

As a recovered doper with a degree in Addiction Counseling, I find this incident disheartening. These kids have been given a great chance for a degree and a possible lucrative post college career (quite likely a short one because of injuries) but they don't have enough gratitude for the chance and respect for the institution to dedicate themselves to their end of the bargain. They disrespected the coach, their teammates who aren't potheads and the fan base.

If I was an NFL scout, I'd note that these are kids who aren't motivated enough to dedicate their time to improving their game. Cowart, a five star recruit showed next to nothing last year. Is it because he was too busy getting high?

Marijuana today has much higher THC content than in the past with possible links to later psychotic incidents. Indisputably, heavy weed smoking is amotivational. These are kids in my opinion who should be at the bottom of the depth chart and have to earn playing time.

^ this one prob on of those who don't mowthe lawn. Good thing he not a scout for my NFL team lol, we would have 6 players on the roster.

Has the punishment been decided yet ?

Likely we won't hear anything for a while, if we hear it at all.

Just take notice of the where the shovels are located at the Auburn Horse Center; home to our National Champions Equestrian team and you'll know when some of the punishment has started to be rendered. :big:

Has the punishment been decided yet ?

Likely we won't hear anything for a while, if we hear it at all.

Just take notice of the where the shovels are located at the Auburn Horse Center; home to our National Champions Equestrian team and you'll know when some of the punishment has started to be rendered. :big:/>

Read my mind. That'll be fun for them. Hopefully it works better for them than it did for Duke.

What did they do to hurt the team? Let's see... our best DB might be sitting out at least part of a huge first game. The coach is having to deal with bad press. Other coaches are using this on the recruiting trail to negatively recruit against us.

Just because "everyone else is doing it" doesn't give them a pass. They broke the rules and they got busted. If it's legit, then they let their teammates and their coaches down and HOPEFULLY the "half the team" they were "prob with" has learned from it, so more suspensions aren't forth coming from someone else getting busted.

They got caught, that's what happen. U better be thankfully the NCAA don't just pop a random test on signing day or in the middle of Summer, etc.... Or we would be down a hell of a lot more than 4, as said befor I know for a fact 70-80% do it... That's just how it is, I do not even do it, but I have ZERO problem with anyone who does... I remember once in HS a cop got mine and said thanks. I mean damn I work through the ATF and I'm telling u half the guys smoke.

Ah, another soap box that I love to perch on... overzealous police. I... an average white guy... have actually been the victim of profiling... because I grew up in a town where police profiled teenagers. I was pulled over for "speeding" (he didn't clock me) at a location where there were a lot of teenagers, made to stand prone, with my hands on his car while he wrote me a ticket, ridiculed loudly in front of about 30 of my peers, and then given a ticket for reckless driving, since he couldn't site me for speeding without clocking me. I have no love lost for little boys with badges trying to make up for inferiority complexes.

I would add to this conversation, based on what was written about the stop...did they all have weed on them or did they find a tiny amount in the car and charge everyone (not uncommon in the police world)? If that is the case, then expect 3 to have the charges dropped and hopefully get some good press about it (from where, I have no idea, but if they didn't do anything wrong, they deserve to have it shouted from the rooftops).

If there were questionable actions in the stop, I hope they go after the officer who stopped them. I can tell you from first hand experience that a visit from IA will make them think twice about bending the rules to show how big and bad they are in the future.

I didn't make a statement to place any blame on the police though and not have these students own up. Just want to make that clear. I've personally concluded that the cops likely did smell weed and therefore searched. If they make that statement then it's going to be hard for the players to defend or refute that. Again, i'm certainly not putting this on the cops but i would hope it's not common practice to just pull people over for no reason and hope to find something b/c that could really come back to the department. For example, it wouldn't have matter if they had 50 lbs of weed in the trunk; if it was an illegal search then it gets thrown out. That's my only point but it'll be hard to refute the statement of they smelled weed on them and then after searching it was found on them. If that's the case...own up pay the fine and take the punishment. Next time...smoke at home!

And they will have to answer to their team but as far as the average fan getting super mad and judging them no, they don't owe the average fan anything. Especially the ones that want to say this is what's wrong with society and all of that.

And they will have to answer to their team but as far as the average fan getting super mad and judging them no, they don't owe the average fan anything. Especially the ones that want to say this is what's wrong with society and all of that.

Amen Cole!

Archived