So What did Eli Gold do and where is he?

AuburnHardware

http://deadspin.com/...week-1776071839

please post article

Why Didn't Eli Gold Host His Radio Show This Week?[/url]

Eli Gold, the legendary stock car racing announcer and Alabama football play-by-play guy, didn’t show up for Tuesday night’s broadcast of NASCAR Live

, his weekly syndicated radio show.

Substitute host Mike Bagley said at the opening of NASCAR Live, which is produced by the Motor Racing Network, that Gold was “away from the network working on some non-MRN related personal projects.”

Gold has been calling NASCAR races since 1976, and hosting NASCAR Live since 1982. His run with Bama football began in the late 1980s. He’s such a big deal in Tuscaloosa that if you call the university’s admissions office, a recording of Gold’s voice welcomes you.

Why wasn’t he on the air Tuesday? A source with ties to MRN tells Deadspin that the network took away Gold’s microphone, suspending him due to an incident that allegedly took place last month while the Sprint Cup series was in Richmond, Va. for the Toyota Owners 400. He worked the race at Talledega a week later, but was not in the MRN booth for last weekend’s Go Bowling 400 from Kansas Speedway.

MRN is owned by NASCAR. NASCAR spokesman Christian Bochicchio did not respond to an email requesting an update on Gold’s current job status.

Whatever’s keeping Gold away from work, MRN isn’t telling. Callers to the network’s switchboard are being told there’s nothing the network is ready to disclose about his absence. “He’s not here,” MRN’s in-house operator told me when I asked to be put in touch with Gold. (Attempts to reach him by other means were equally unsuccessful.)

MRN program director Ryan Horn declined to confirm or deny that Gold had been suspended. Asked to explain Gold’s absences, Horn said, “Right now, he’s working on some projects, and we hope to have him back.”

Horn declined to say what those projects were, when the network expects Gold’s comeback might occur, and whether it’s up to Gold or MRN to determine when he’s ready to return. “I can’t really comment,” he said, and referred all additional queries to David Hyatt, MRN’s president. Hyatt did not respond to requests for comment on Gold’s status.

I never even think about racing. Not my sport in any way. Gold did something to make them unhappy....A personnel issue of sorts it seems...Until and if a change is made in show host, likely not to hear much about it and when you deal with known personalities, subsequent info is designed to protect both employee and employer....

Must not be much of a newsmaker or it would have been a story from the original race...

uaT won't care...imo.....Sure some moral issue or criminal issue, would change that due to contract most likely. Likely a blip on broadcasting radar screens.

I'd love it if he'd retire. Worst announcer voice ever, the fact that its possessed by a pompous bammer makes it even worse.

I met Phil Savage last week. He didn't say a word about it.

I hate Eli Gold's voice. It's loud and nasal at the same time. The fact he has to describe Alabama's uniform before every game is astounding. "Aaaand here come the crimson tide wearing their usual crimson jerseys, white pants with a crimson stripe, Crimson helmets with team numbers on the side." ORLY? Ya don't say?! I thought they'd be wearing their gray alternate unis...

Eli Gold isn't even from Alabama... Or NASCAR country for that matter.

I hate Eli Gold's voice. It's loud and nasal at the same time. The fact he has to describe Alabama's uniform before every game is astounding. "Aaaand here come the crimson tide wearing their usual crimson jerseys, white pants with a crimson stripe, Crimson helmets with team numbers on the side." ORLY? Ya don't say?! I thought they'd be wearing their gray alternate unis...

Yep....he's just a hired voice but he's had that job quite a while. Many teams like announcers who have distinctive voices ....become part of the team's identity... Meanwhile, sports announcers are probably standing in line for that job if it becomes available.

I agree now but I actually used to like Eli when he did sports on the local news (42 in think) in Bham. Once he became synonymous with UA though his voice did become annoying. Also I believe he's a Yankees fan so that's 2 strikes. Whatever he's done probably won't surprise anyone when it comes out. UA and anything associated with them smells of arrogance and being above repercussion for actions.

Can't stand Eli but I have to say, I do like the food at Nino's in Pelham that he's part owner of. Glad he's never been there when I have but his partner is kinda loud mouthed too.......New Yorker, thick accent. He likes my husband because his family is from New York so we've always gotten great food and service.

Phil is a good guy. Even if he is a Updyke.

I'll never forget his "funeral" announcing as uat was getting spanked by Oklahoma...

And Eli is absolute gold to listen to when uat is getting beat.

Well he hasn't had to broadcast too damn many of those lately. :banghead:

And Eli is absolute gold to listen to when uat is getting beat.

LMFTFY

Love the difference between the calls!!! Pure gold!!! Even my kids laughed (they're used to hearing Bramblett's call as its my ringtone)!!

Archived