Chizik Gone

API50

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville will be looking for a new defensive coordinator and secondary coach with Gene Chizik accepting a position as defensive coordinator at the University of Texas.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UT names new defensive coordinator

Giles named defensive ends coach

02:57 PM CST on Monday, January 17, 2005

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

AUSTIN – Gene Chizik, the coordinator for Auburn’s top-ranked scoring defense this season, will replace former co-defensive coordinator Greg Robinson on Mack Brown’s staff, according to a source close to the Texas program.

According to the source, Chizik, 43, will be named assistant head coach and will work with co-defensive coordinator Duane Akina in sprearheading the Longhorns’ defense.

Chizik, a former linebacker at Florida who is described as a fiery, intense personality, won the 2004 Broyles Award as college football’s top assistant coach.

Auburn went 13-0 and gave up only 11.3 points per game. The Tigers yielded a nation-leading four rushing touchdowns all season in Chizik’s third year as defensive coordinator. Auburn was ranked No. 5 in total defense in 2003 and was 13th in scoring defense in 2002.

Chizik and his wife interviewed with Brown in Austin last Thursday and Friday after Chizik interviewed Wednesday with Jacksonville Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio, who has three openings on his staff.

Also Monday, Texas defensive end Oscar Giles today was named defensive ends coach.

Giles was a graduate assistant under Brown at Texas in 1999 before coaching the defensive line at SMU from 2000-02 and at Houston from 2003-04.

“I’m honored and humbled to be asked by Coach Brown to come back to Texas,” said Giles, who led Texas in sacks in 1988 (6.5) and 1989 (7). “A lot of people talk about Texas football, but I lived it and know about the passion, pride and tradition of the Longhorns.”

GIles replaces Dick Tomey, who left after one season to become head coach at San Jose State.

Giles played defensive end and linebacker for the Atlanta Falcons (1991-93) before joining Toronto of the Canadian Football League (1994-97), helping the Argonauts win the Grey Cup Championship in 1996.

“Oscar is a bright, energetic, young coach who was a valuable member of our staff in 1999,” Brown said. “He’s gained a great deal of experience … over the past five years. We’re excited to have one of our own back with us.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...s.195a3bc8.html

This is terrible. I can't believe that Chizik is going to make a lateral move. I don't know what the problem is. I sure hope Tubs hires a great DC like Chizik. I hope he doesn't go after one like we had before in that moron Lovett.

Technically, it's not lateral...he's got an additional title according to the article: Assistant Head Coach. Don't know if CTT was willing to give him that here or what.

Gene was a fine defensive coach but we have fielded "great" defenses before he arrived and we will field great defenses after he's gone. We will have another top ten defense in 2005. As Al Borges has stated so many times, it's all about the "Jimmy and Joes".

WDE :au::football::cheer:

Not suprised that he left with the assistant HC bit thrown in. He wants a head coaching job bad so probably would have only been here another year at the most. If he can put together a good D at Texas and beat OU he will get that HC. All he has to do is put together half the D in the Big 12 (all Big 12 South opponents gave up 30 plus points in bowl games for example) to look good and win that conference. Then he gets his HC offer somewhere.

Tuberville is a defensive coach, he will make a good hire. Probably good to get the distraction that Chizik has put out the last couple years with interviewing away from the program anyway.

Anyone got a few ideas on how it will go. I do not expect a DC to be hired till after signing day. CAB was not hired till after signing day last year and we did fine.

Widenhofer?-Maybe too old.

Oliver?- would be a great hire, has been at :au: before. It would cause epileptic seizures in Tuscaloosa. :big:

A DC from a mid-major?- Chizik was from UCF.

Muschamp?-From Saban's staff at :lsu:

Any one want to hallucinate a few more?

Gene was a fine defensive coach but we have fielded "great" defenses before he arrived and we will field great defenses after he's gone. We will have another top ten defense in 2005. As Al Borges has stated so many times, it's all about the "Jimmy and Joes".

WDE  :au:   :football:   :cheer:

139517[/snapback]

I totally agree. Good post.

that sucks. i was actually thinking he'd stay after what travis williams said about being confident that coach chizik would return. i hope he did the right thing in telling all the big name recruits we had this weekend that he would not be here to coach them. if we have to go back out to lock up tray blackmon and those guys, that'll make me a little upset at chizik. if he went out the right way, it won't matter. we have a coach with a great defensive mind, and he'll find a guy to coach 'em up for next year and beyond. war damn eagle.

Heck, he will be the CO- DC

I wished he could have stayed too.

Maybe the jet trip had something to do with it?

I really don't know.

I guess and hope there is a logical explanation

Coach "C" did a great job at AU and he will be remebered forever as part of this TEAM. I wish him and his family all the best.

That having been said, good defensive coaches will be eager to get a chance to coach at AU. Just as Coach "C" was a little known defensive coach when Coach Tuberville gave him his chance, there are many others that are waiting in the wings for their opportunity. :au:

Coach Tuberville will hire the right guy....Count on it ! ! ! :au:

(After all, he is THE BEST Coach in AMERICA ! ! !) :au:

I'm thinking we go with someone at a mid-major. I thought Muschamp left with Saban to the Dolphins. Could be wrong though.

My only reservation with Widenhofer is that when he was at Vandy, he seemed to get very frustrated publicly with the players. Now, coaching at Vandy can drive a man to drink, but it just didn't settle well with me. Plus, didn't he just accept the DC job at New Mexico. Not that Auburn isn't an obvious step up, just that he might not feel he can renege that quickly after giving his word.

This is bad news and Im really suprized he left. I thought his interviewing with Texas was more of a bargaining chip than anything. I really hope we dont lose any of our commitments over this.

Anyone got a few ideas on how it will go. I do not expect a DC to be hired till after signing day. CAB was not hired till after signing day last year and we did fine.

Widenhofer?-Maybe too old.

Oliver?- would be a great hire, has been at :au: before. It would cause epileptic seizures in Tuscaloosa.  :big:

A DC from a mid-major?- Chizik was from UCF.

Muschamp?-From Saban's staff at :lsu:

Any one want to hallucinate a few more?

139524[/snapback]

Dave Campo.

Wayne Hall is not currently coaching anywhere. :D

woody was a great DC in his day. i wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, and i think his hiring would be a move similar to borges last year b/c he's not a guy looking to scratch a head coaching itch anytime soon (as petrino and chizik were). muschamp did go to the nfl with saban, but i don't think he is the DC there so maybe he'd come back for that title.

i'm really interested in dave campo formerly of the miami hurricanes, formerly of the dallas cowboys, and a guy i don't think we'll have to worry about losing to a head coaching position. it'll be an interesting thing to keep an eye on.

i, too, am disappointed he left for another DC position... add'l title or not. i can't believe that was the deciding factor.

here's my speculation:

1) he wants a HC position somewhere...would like to jump to a solid program similar to what petrino did.

2) texas has a stronger cast of players returning on the defensive side of the ball than auburn does, making his job a little easier in terms of coming in & having an immediate impact. imagine if UT finally beats OU next year and holds them under 10 pts.... chizik for president, no?

3) he'll only be there for one season anyway, so either we find a DC this year, or we find one next year...take your pick.

my speculation.

ct

I'm thinking we go with someone at a mid-major.  I thought Muschamp left with Saban to the Dolphins.  Could be wrong though.

Yeah, Muschamp has been given a defensive assistant position with the Dolphins. It looks like he is trying to follow Saban around everywhere preparing for an eventual head coaching gig himself somewhere. He is very young at only 34. A lot of us questioned how much input he had in the defenses under Saban, anyway. None of us really know.

i don't think the additional title hurt in chizik's eyes, but i think the bigger factor was the fact that auburn doesn't have a great track record of promoting coordinators to head coaches: petrino, tommy bowden, pat sullivan... what's that one per decade? whereas texas just lost three coaches in two years to head coaching jobs. that's clearly one thing that mack brown knows how to do: promote his assistants.

I'm sorry too, but I can't believe that I heard two names on this board that I just heard. Wayne Hall and Bill Oliver. Wayne Hall was involved in the mess that did Dye in and was one of the ones primarily responsible for running Tiny Tot off. Oliver is a well documented back stabber and would immediately cause problems with the rest of the coaching staff. We DO NOT NEED ANY OF THIS! Hopefully, Tubs will exercise the same wisdom in picking another DC that he did CGC and CAB. Damn, it's hard to hold on to good people this day and time.....WDE! :au:

Archived