2017 5* RB Cam Akers (FSU 12/27/16)

aucanucktiger

I hate to burst the bubble of the dreamers on the board but unless we lose one of the commits we have now the staff is happening & considers this running back class done

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record... i don't care how many stars the kid has... I'm an Akers fan because he's a beast, and as we've been seeing over the past few years, the bruisers are the ones who have been owning the SEC. Look at Pettway.  Kerryon is the more complete back, but Kam is the one who's getting it done because, as he put it, no one wants to tackle him. Now, tell me which one of our current recruits is going to fill that role?

11 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

For the record... i don't care how many stars the kid has... I'm an Akers fan because he's a beast, and as we've been seeing over the past few years, the bruisers are the ones who have been owning the SEC. Look at Pettway.  Kerryon is the more complete back, but Kam is the one who's getting it done because, as he put it, no one wants to tackle him. Now, tell me which one of our current recruits is going to fill that role?

KP is getting it done because Kerryon has been hurt and our offensive line has been opening giant holes. He's a very good running back- possibly even better than very good- but there is no evidence that a guy like Kerryon, or Tre Mason, or Cameron Artis-Payne, or Kenny Irons, or Kenyan Drake couldn't also be getting it done in this offense right now. 

If our OL continues to play at this level and we continue to be able to pass it when we need to, then I guarantee you we have a guy committed who can carry the load. Probably more than one. Tim Horton don't lie. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KP is getting it done because Kerryon has been hurt and our offensive line has been opening giant holes. He's a very good running back- possibly even better than very good- but there is no evidence that a guy like Kerryon, or Tre Mason, or Cameron Artis-Payne, or Kenny Irons, or Kenyan Drake couldn't also be getting it done in this offense right now. 

If our OL continues to play at this level and we continue to be able to pass it when we need to, then I guarantee you we have a guy committed who can carry the load. Probably more than one. Tim Horton don't lie. 

I'm not saying any of them can't get it done... I'm saying look at the guys who have been excelling above the rest over the past few years.  They are the guys that DBs see coming, close their eyes, and prep for impact. 

Our O-Line is playing well, no doubt, but a lot our success it is Kam making yards after contact. Look at the video of this years games.  Kam consistantly gets more yards after contact that Kerryon... because he's just harder to take down. Kerryon has better vision and better moves, but when half the running calls require busting through a line focused on stopping you, Kam is just more successful. I like having a back like that on our team, and I don't see the next Kam Pettway currently on the team or in our recruiting class. Akers has that potential.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

You talk as if a bruiser is the only way to get it done. It's a great way to get it done & it's the way you like but that's not the only way to get it done. Tre Mason says hi. He was a strong runner  but not a bruiser. No I don't know what kind of backs our 3 commits will develop into but I know as far as Barrett the staff sees him as a complete back. Given what Coach Horton has done in recruiting and evaluating and developing backs I trust him fully on this.

42 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'm not saying any of them can't get it done... I'm saying look at the guys who have been excelling above the rest over the past few years.  They are the guys that DBs see coming, close their eyes, and prep for impact. 

Our O-Line is playing well, no doubt, but a lot our success it is Kam making yards after contact. Look at the video of this years games.  Kam consistantly gets more yards after contact that Kerryon... because he's just harder to take down. Kerryon has better vision and better moves, but when half the running calls require busting through a line focused on stopping you, Kam is just more successful. I like having a back like that on our team, and I don't see the next Kam Pettway currently on the team or in our recruiting class. Akers has that potential.

Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne also dominated the SEC the past few years. And they faced as many loaded boxes as the handful of big guys you're thinking of. Dalvin Cook is currently the best RB in CFB, and I don't think anybody would describe him as a "bruiser". 

We do agree that DBs don't like big RBs. I just don't think being able to truck DBs is one of the more important skills for a running back. 

Big, athletic RBs- the Fournettes, the Chubbs- are like *quality* dual-threat RBs. They're a luxury. They're obsessed over by the fans and media because they're unusual and they're a very limited resource that everybody wants. You always hope to get one but you don't hold your breath for it. Heck, anyone who dared suggest that Pettway might be a pretty good RB got laughed at because nobody thought it was possible at his size. Even Malik Miller advocates got laughed at for the same reason. 

By the way, Octavius Matthews is listed 7 lbs heavier than Akers. 

Edit: Whoops. QBs.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Big, athletic RBs- the Fournettes, the Chubbs- are like *quality* dual-threat QBs. They're a luxury. They're obsessed over by the fans and media because they're unusual and they're a very limited resource that everybody wants.

Yup... and I want him :)

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

By the way, Octavius Matthews is listed 7 lbs heavier than Akers. 

He is... but currently he's not nearly the talent that Akers is.  

I don't know who Gus likes at RB but he seems to value three traits:

1.) Ball Security- Gus seems to take it personal when RBs fumble his football. 

2.) North-South runners that don't do a lot of dancing-  I think this is the reason why KP will remain number one. KJ sometimes has to use lateral motion or reverse field to find his holes on early downs. KP is almost an automatic four yard gain on 1st down which helps the passing game with third and short.

3.) Pass Blocking- Have to pass block. 

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He is... but currently he's not nearly the talent that Akers is.  

If we're talking strictly about talent, then you're probably right and I won't disagree. I just reject this notion that Akers fills some kind of "bruiser" role that we require, or that can't be adequately replicated by another guy we have committed. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If we're talking strictly about talent, then you're probably right and I won't disagree. I just reject this notion that Akers fills some kind of "bruiser" role that we require, or that can't be adequately replicated by another guy we have committed. 

I think there's the rub in the whole argument.  I don't believe I ever said we required it.  I just said I wanted it, because bruisers, more often than not, become the superstar backs. I think we can win with any quality back...we've proven that time and time again, but imagine our offense with someone's who's quick, fast, smart, and a load to take down. Imagine Chubb or Fournette running in our offense. We could be that team about whom everyone in sports is saying it's us and everyone else.

Part of me wonders what we would look like had Jovon not blown it.  He could have been that guy.

3 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Part of me wonders what we would look like had Jovon not blown it.  He could have been that guy

He was the whole package eschew his behavior problems. He was a brute, he had size, and he had speed. He very easily could've been that guy. His loss.

25 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He was the whole package eschew his behavior problems. He was a brute, he had size, and he had speed. He very easily could've been that guy. His loss.

Jovon probably cries himself to sleep every night.  Sad.

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Imagine Chubb or Fournette running in our offense. We could be that team about whom everyone in sports is saying it's us and everyone else.

I don't think either one of those guys turns our team into anything substantially more than it is. They probably have more yards and touchdowns than our guys, sure, but I don't think they turn us into a significantly different football team.

Part of me wonders what we would look like had Jovon not blown it.  He could have been that guy.

He would be RB1 and be on pace for at least 1500 yards. But, again, I don't think we're a significantly different football team with him. 

Our identity wouldn't change much if Jovon was our RB. Hopefully other players see that Jovon could've easily been the star, but he had an attitude, so he was easily replaced. That's how it should be. 

I hate it for Jovon because he had high goals here at Auburn and chose Auburn twice, but he wouldn't walk the straight and narrow. It's his loss. Auburn certainly didn't lose.

17 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Jovon probably cries himself to sleep every night.  Sad.

I doubt it. Hopefully he is working out for a free agency spot next year. He can turn things around.

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He would be RB1 and be on pace for at least 1500 yards. But, again, I don't think we're a significantly different football team with him. 

I think we would have more highlight reel long runs and more quick touchdowns with any of those three. Not to put down Kam and Kerryon... they are both great backs, but Fournette and Chubb are on another level and Jovon looked as if he had potential to be on that level.

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I think we would have more highlight reel long runs and more quick touchdowns with any of those three. Not to put down Kam and Kerryon... they are both great backs, but Fournette and Chubb are on another level and Jovon looked as if he had potential to be on that level.

Kam really just lacks breakaway speed...could have used it to get those extra three yards on one of his long TD runs.  Anything else you see separating him from Fournette?

Just now, lionheartkc said:

And you could say the same about Dalvin Cook, a better and less "bruising" RB than Fournette or Chubb. But a few more "highlight reel" runs- not that any of those guys have one like what Kerryon did against La Monroe or whoever it was earlier this season- and more quick touchdowns don't make this a significantly different football team IMO. 

Btw, KP is averaging 1.5 yards more per carry than Chubb. 

The fact that we did not get to see a full season of Jovon as the starter is very disappointing to me. He IMO of course was our most talented RB we have had since Kenny Irons. He  had the skill of KJ and the power of Bubba all wrapped in to one guy. COMPLETE back. Obviously not hurting the team in the least but just thinking how he would do behind this line makes me go what if today.

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

Kam really just lacks breakaway speed...could have used it to get those extra three yards on one of his long TD runs.  Anything else you see separating him from Fournette?

I think Fournette had a little better vision, but mainly it's the speed.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Btw, KP is averaging 1.5 yards more per carry than Chubb. 

Yea... I blame that on Kirby and the rest of the team. Georgia just isn't good as a whole.

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The fact that we did not get to see a full season of Jovon as the starter is very disappointing to me. He IMO of course was our most talented RB we have had since Kenny Irons. He was had the skill of KJ and the power of Bubba all wrapped in to one guy. COMPLETE back. Obviously not hurting the team in the least but just thinking how he would do behind this line makes me go what if today.

Impossible not to wonder what would have been. Ditto for Dyer. He would've been a monster in this offense, too. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Impossible not to wonder what would have been. Ditto for Dyer. He would've been a monster in this offense, too. 

Man Dyer was a beast. He SHOULD be some NFL teams starting rb right now..........

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

The fact that we did not get to see a full season of Jovon as the starter is very disappointing to me. He IMO of course was our most talented RB we have had since Kenny Irons. He  had the skill of KJ and the power of Bubba all wrapped in to one guy. COMPLETE back. Obviously not hurting the team in the least but just thinking how he would do behind this line makes me go what if today.

...Why does Kenny Irons stick out? Not knocking him or anything, but I wouldn't put him any higher on the list than Tre Mason, and I'd put Ben Tate ahead of both of them...and then there's Dyer, who probably was as talented as Tate but didn't have the field time to prove it, and...well, Irons just doesn't seem like anything more than one of the long line of good Auburn running backs.

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

...Why does Kenny Irons stick out? Not knocking him or anything, but I wouldn't put him any higher on the list than Tre Mason, and I'd put Ben Tate ahead of both of them...and then there's Dyer, who probably was as talented as Tate but didn't have the field time to prove it, and...well, Irons just doesn't seem like anything more than one of the long line of good Auburn running backs.

KI was a monster. Go back and watch some highlights. We haven't had nearly as violent an RB since. Only reason he didn't have a decent pro career is because he got hurt. He would've been a Heisman candidate in this offense. 

It's highly subjective, but KI was a very, very good runner. 

Archived